PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Sony so much?

The Devil Man
10-12-2006, 05:39 PM
This is something that I have noticed on other Forums and I'd like to bring a discussion here. Quite simply... why do people hate Sony so much? Nintendo and Microsoft hardly get any criticisms now, but Sony seems to get relentless hatred while in most peoples eyes, Nintendo can do no wrong.

Now understand this. I am NOT a fanboy. I have ALL the major consoles (which means XBox/360/PS2/GC/Dremcast/N64/PSP/DS and GBA) and my favourite games are spread across all the consoles (games like Rez, Paper Mario, God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc...) I love all the consoles.

But I dislike the way people praise Nintendo all the time, yet really hate Sony. People seem to forget that the reason Sony PlayStation came into existence is because of the way Nintendo messed them around, back-stabbed them and eventually chose Philips CDi as a co-developer after making plans with Sony for years. And in the early 90's, Nintendo extorted as much money as they could from games developers by charging them sky high fees for licenses and development kits, which meant customers paid far too much for the cartridges. Sony has done a lot for gamers, probably more then Nintendo, but since they have become the premier company they seem to be an open target for everyone to take shots at.

LunarWeaver
10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't have a problem with them at all. I think they're getting criticism at the moment because of the price of their new system and the way they marketed some things. It's nothing so dramatic that it will topple the company though. I don't hate Sony, but they do things that bug me like all companies do, and then I utilize my time wisely by going on a forum and complaining about it, which, as we all know, changes the world.

People must not hate them too much since all 400,000 launch day PS3s are already pre-ordered.

KentaRawr!
10-12-2006, 05:46 PM
People generally seem to hate Sony because of the price of the PS3, and then exaggerate other problems that wouldn't even be considered if the system were cheaper. :shifty:

Also, it's cool to hate Sony. :cool:

Captain Maxx Power
10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Also, it's cool to hate Sony. :cool:

Yup, that's pretty much the only reason. Jumping on the bandwagon as they say.

Dreddz
10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
People hate Sony for a price tag. Thats it. Nintendo fanboys have finally got their chance to strike Sony after years, as you can see, they went all out. Im sorta ashamed to be a gamer, being assosiated with people who say "RIIIIDDDGGGGEEE RAAAACCCEERRR" for the hundreth time makes me bow my head in shame.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Considering that were on a FF forum, and the last 6 or so FF games have been on a Sony system, I really don't know.

Personally, I love them, yeah there systems are not that reliable, but hell, they have all the good games.

Yamaneko
10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
People dislike the PS3 for legitimate reasons.

People hate the PS3 because they're mindless fanboys.

Jowy
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
My only gripe with Sony is faulty hardware.

Rainecloud
10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't hate Sony, I just haven't been entertained by their consoles and games (with a few noteable exceptions) over the years. Nintendo have always provided me with great consoles and great games - except for Mario 64, which completely sucked.

So, I don't hate them, I simply prefer Ninty.

bipper
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM

that is about right.
I do dislike Sony because of thier hand in the financial market and their trying to bastardise the music industry, but that is way beside the point. Sony is a company that you pray always has competition. Much like Microsoft.

I think the comparison has been made before, about the ps3 getting n64-esque. I feel that is a gernerally sound observation to forecast on. It also goes to show, that even nintendo has the same interests; or had, in the past.

Erdrick Holmes
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
People are taking a disliking to Sony due to the massive crap the PS3 is having just to make sure they squeeze every dollar out of the gamer's wallet. Expensive hardware and software, only offering so few games worthy of the PS3's launch, the arrogance that makes them seem like they got their heads so far up their asses they love the smell of their own farts.

bipper
10-12-2006, 06:40 PM
People are taking a disliking to Sony due to the massive crap the PS3 is having just to make sure they squeeze every dollar out of the gamer's wallet. Expensive hardware and software, only offering so few games worthy of the PS3's launch, the arrogance that makes them seem like they got their heads so far up their asses they love the smell of their own farts.

Funny thing is, nentdo started the processes via license control on video games so that they could work on nintedo. Which tiger electronics bypassed. All three companies are all the same coorperations. Sony, at least, is being inovative with graphics, where as Nintendo is innovating in other areas, and Microsoft is staying with classical gaming and speedy deleiveries.

I honestly think this is basically going to divide up gamers and game styles indefinately. Sony = hardcore, Microsoft = median while nintendo will cater to the lighter core gamer.

~SapphireStar~
10-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Im a Sony fangirl, have lots of Sony merchandise. I dont have a problem with them at all.

Erdrick Holmes
10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
This reminds me of this comic.

[!]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/astranged_airman/20061011.jpg[/!]

Don't post images with words that are filtered.

~Void

~SapphireStar~
10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Classic :D

Cz
10-12-2006, 06:54 PM
People hate Sony because they're the market leader. That's not to say that they don't have legitimate concerns regarding the PS3, but if those problems didn't exist they'd simply find something else to criticise, since their hatred of the PS3 stems from an irrational dislike of the company itself rather than what the system offers as a gaming platform. That's console wars for you.

Zeromus_X
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM

My only gripe with Sony is faulty hardware.

Erdrick Holmes
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, remember early on PS2s would break and quit reading discs after the warranty expires, forcing you to buy another one.

RiseToFall
10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, remember early on PS2s would break and quit reading discs after the warranty expires, forcing you to buy another one.

Yeah, remember the fact that everyone's GC is covered with dust because the big N hasn't released /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif for it and has been focusing on nothing but getting the Wii out.

fantasyjunkie
10-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't hate Sony. On the contrary I like Sony. But that doesn't change the fact that they have made some questionable decisons with their latest gaming console. Will I buy a PS3? Not for a couple of years until the dust clears and the price comes down a WHOLE lot. I'm just spending my hard earned $$$ wisely and so for Sony has not shown me a good reason to spend it on them.
I have my 360 and plan on getting the Wii. Nothing agaisnt Sony at all but I have yet to see why I should use my car as collatoral and place a 2nd mortgage on my house jsut to buy an overpriced console with questionable quality. Nothing personal, just the facts.

Roto13
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Sony has done a lot for gamers, probably more then Nintendo

No. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash_of_1983)

LunarWeaver
10-12-2006, 08:39 PM

Oh c'mon roto :jess: There's no doubt the gaming industry owes a whooole lot to Nintendo, I mean it most likely wouldn't exist at all without them. But in my opinion it is because of Sony that it expanded to what it is now. Without the playstation, I dunno... :(

JKTrix
10-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Yamaneko's statement is a good assessment of the general mindset. I don't 'hate' Sony or the PS3. They have done a lot to push the industry forward (as has Microsoft), the biggest of which is undoubtedly the switch to disc-based media.
It's true that Nintendo basically cut them off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation) when they were originally making it, so Nintendo is partly to blame for their own 'fall from grace'. Sony has done more than a few things to directly or indirectly screw over Nintendo since then as well. The controller stuff is minor (rumble, analog sticks, now motion sensing) and not exactly the most brutal 'backstabbery', but it's a way of stealing one's thunder by saying 'We can do that too!'. In the outgoing generation, the Gamecube's seemingly last chance to gain some good ground in the market was thwarted by Sony. Killer7, Tales of Symphonia, Viewtiful Joe and RE4 were all originally Gamecube Exclusive games (though Symphonia PS2 was Japan only).

Sony only has a problem in the eyes of the informed online community. The regular bloke on the street doesn't know about giant enemy crabs or some of the insane statements Sony execs have been spouting the last several months. Most people mainly have a problem with the price, and people with past experience with Sony launch hardware are quoting potential faultiness.

Sony right now is in a similar position that Nintendo was before the PS1 was actually released. They are caught up in their hubris (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+hubris&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official) and may not actually realize some of the ripples they've been causing among the hardcore community. Over 10 years ago, Nintendo was similarly stationed, and Sony turned the tables on them. Then jumped up and down on that table repeatedly, effectively shoving Nintendo off their high horse. They've been on top for 2 generations and they know they're the strongest going into the 'next' one, which apparently doesn't start until they say it does.

Nintendo has definitely had its fair share of faults and failures. Sony is in the spotlight now because all of these negative things are coming up so frequently. Nintendo is the underdog now, and it's always more exciting to root for the underdog.

Roto13
10-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Oh c'mon roto :jess: There's no doubt the gaming industry owes a whooole lot to Nintendo, I mean it most likely wouldn't exist at all without them. But in my opinion it is because of Sony that it expanded to what it is now. Without the playstation, I dunno... :(

Without the PlayStation the gaming industry would still exist. Without Nintendo, it very well might not.

Cz
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Without the PlayStation the gaming industry would still exist. Without Nintendo, it very well might not.Without the Playstation, the frustration of a gaming community forced to choose between the N64 and the Sega Saturn would have triggered another video game crash. :p

LunarWeaver
10-12-2006, 08:46 PM

Without the PlayStation the gaming industry would still exist. Without Nintendo, it very well might not.

I knooow that :jess: I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't deserve more credit, but Sony has credit due as well. I think Sony is the one that changed gaming's image and made it what it is now. Without that, as systems continued on and on, and development costs continued to grow... Nintendo could have faced exactly what Sega did with the Dreamcast and had a system that failed to keep up in sales.

I think without either of them the whole thing would be gone.

Jowy
10-12-2006, 08:49 PM
The Playstation seemed to make videogaming much more mainstream with it's release as well. The CD-ROM based formatting made games cheaper, and the more 'mature' library of games grabbed the attention of non-gamers as well.

escobert
10-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I think they all suck personally. I'll go with a PC anyday.

JKTrix
10-12-2006, 09:02 PM
The big systems all represent a symbiotic relationship.

Nintendo: Saviour of the Video Game Market
Sony: Biggest Leap in the production and image of games
Microsoft: Successfully bringing Console games into the Digital Age

All have pros and cons, but some things are unlikely to exist without all of them being there. Competition breeds progression.

MecaKane
10-12-2006, 09:06 PM
No, some PS2s would break after some varied amount of time forcing you to fix it. Unless you mean Xbox 360s which started breaking in great numbers November of last year?

McLovin'
10-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Hating Sony is like hating McDonalds.

You know its bad but you just want some. :choc2:

Nifleheim7
10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Competition is good.The more,the merrier!
I can't say that i hate either of them.For me it all depends on the quality of the games they own and to my personal tastes.
I like Sony simply because of the titles they own therefore i'm sure going to buy a PS3 when it's price drops.
I'm also going to buy a Wii because of that and because it has many possibilities for innovative gameplay.Being the less expensive next gen console also helps.
If the 360 had more titles that i'm interested in i would have buy that too.
As to why so many people "hate" Sony,i don't think it's true.If it was, they wouldn't be #1 for so long.Apparently many of them, no matter what they say,own a Sony system.

Slicksword45
10-12-2006, 09:22 PM

Yea, somthing like that.

Except I don't hate sony.

Madame Adequate
10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
I love Sony, but I can't deny they've made some pretty damn retarded calls with the PS3.

It's ALL pretty much a big gay bitchfest though, because the only true, worthy people ever in the console manufacturing business was SEGA.

Slicksword45
10-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I love Sony, but I can't deny they've made some pretty damn retarded calls with the PS3.

It's ALL pretty much a big gay bitchfest though, because the only true, worthy people ever in the console manufacturing business was SEGA.

SEGA is dead :(

But at least they are makeing some cool games.

Erdrick Holmes
10-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Sega and Apple need to make a console, the iCast.

KentaRawr!
10-12-2006, 10:26 PM

Holmes, I think we already discussed that something such as that would lead to the end of the free world, the banning of 3D fighting games, and worst of all, the main religion of the world being devoted to worshipping you. :nonono:

Skarr
10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
?uestion. Who the smurf hates sony???

I was in my ignorant garden for the past year. I must have missed the destruction of all the Sony fanboys.

Agent Proto
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't dislike Sony. I just find their products can be faulty to a point, and their arrogance seems to be getting the best of them. :p It's not my fault that I prefer Nintendo when it comes to Video gaming.

Rostum
10-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Im sorta ashamed to be a gamer, being assosiated with people who say "RIIIIDDDGGGGEEE RAAAACCCEERRR" for the hundreth time makes me bow my head in shame.

Oh please. :rolleyes2

Agreed.

Not sure what models Australia got, but I've thrown mine around a lot since the day it was released here and it still works as if it were brand new.

Eww! McDonalds is gross, when will Americans stop deep frying food?
(recently deep fried coca-cola, what the hell?)

I can't deny they've made some pretty damn retarded calls with the PS3.

Oh yeah, defenately.

All in all, I like Sony and I like Nintendo, but I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft. I've enjoyed countless of games on both the systems I like, but moreso Sony now because I mainly play RPG's.

Nintendo had their day with me, with their NES, SNES and N64, and I thank them for it. I hope they can bring back that quality in the Wii, and I hope that Sony continue to keep their PSX/PS2 quality with the PS3, and bring me great RPG's to play.

NM
10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I personally don't dislike Sony. But I can see how some people are pissed off with them what with the whole PS3 saga. I'd also say more people in Europe/PAL terratories are pissed with Sony, as they continue to treat us like some kind of dodgy distant relative, they don't like to admit exists.

I know North America is the most important market for them as there trying to push Blue-Ray, and being a Japanese company there home market is important as well, but they do seem to like screwing us over, and I think thats really starting to annoy gamers round these parts. After all this is the second time a new piece of Sony hardware has been delayed in these parts in as many years.

Of course there's the price point of the PS3, and all the stupid comments from Sony execs that have been popping up recently, along with there arrogence towards the competition, which isn't helping there cause.

But people are a fickle breed, and i'm sure in a years time all will be forgotten, and someone else will be sitting pretty at the top of the companys you love to hate list.

Slicksword45
10-13-2006, 12:31 AM
?uestion. Who the smurf hates sony???

I was in my ignorant garden for the past year. I must have missed the destruction of all the Sony fanboys.

I think it was an over time thing. But it has still not affected the GameFAQ boards. They still are crazy sony fanboys :)

Holmes, I think we already discussed that something such as that would lead to the end of the free world, the banning of 3D fighting games, and worst of all, the main religion of the world being devoted to worshipping you. :nonono:

O god that would suck.

Araciel
10-13-2006, 03:12 AM
i think a lot of people hate sony cause they were "winning" for so long, and everyone hates the big guy

Khaotic
10-13-2006, 03:54 AM
Another pointless fanboy flaming thread...

ShunNakamura
10-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I don't hate Sony. On the contrary I like Sony. But that doesn't change the fact that they have made some questionable decisons with their latest gaming console. Will I buy a PS3? Not for a couple of years until the dust clears and the price comes down a WHOLE lot. I'm just spending my hard earned $$$ wisely and so for Sony has not shown me a good reason to spend it on them.
I have my 360 and plan on getting the Wii. Nothing agaisnt Sony at all but I have yet to see why I should use my car as collatoral and place a 2nd mortgage on my house jsut to buy an overpriced console with questionable quality. Nothing personal, just the facts.

Just to note, from what I have been hearing and reading the PS3 is pretty much a computer. So if you wanted one you could scrap your ****ty windows system and go with a PS3 with specific type of linux installed on it.

I'll definately wait til it comes out to read what all you can do with it, but if it can perform the tasks that computers do(surf web, get email, edit images, and run office software, etc) than quite frankly you are getting a pretty nifty computer fairly cheap.

I guess it comes down to how you view it. As a console it looks mighty overpriced at first glance. As a computer it is hellishly cheap for what you get. So I think the deciding factor[at least for me] will be how many computer-ish tasks it can perform.

Anyways, it could end up being a cheap way to upgrade your computer.

Rainecloud
10-13-2006, 08:54 AM

I don't think Nintendo would be quite as innovative and groundbreaking if Sony hadn't dominated the videogame market throughout the late 90's and early 00's. As with all things, competition drives companies to create better consoles with better games, and that's exactly what Ninty, Sony and Microsoft are doing right now.

Raebus
10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Another pointless fanboy flaming thread...

Another meaningfull post that adds alot to this thread. :thumb:

I don't hate them, Heck I've got a ps2 that I usually play on when I'm not doing anything else. The only thing that puts me off them only a bit is the price of the ps3.

Roto13
10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I didn't really dislike Sony before recently. I didn't like that they released low-quality hardware at launch, but other than that I liked them. Now it's like they're going out of their way to alienate people and that's not going to work. I'd buy a PS3 for, like, half the asking price (as long as it worked), even without all of that blu ray crap I don't want.

Del Murder
10-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Sony killed my father.