PDA

View Full Version : vehicular abandonment is serious business!

Jowy
10-12-2006, 09:40 PM
A while ago, my friend's car broke down. He left it parked in front of his house, and it just kind of stayed there minding it's own business. The City of Erie didn't approve of this, and issued a hefty fine. Now, the law's involved and he has two choices for how to make up for this: Paying $600, or going to jail for a week.

Now, I'm terrible at giving advice, so I recommended spending a week in jail. Which would you do?

~SapphireStar~
10-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I'd do the week in jail personally. At least I can say I was in prison at least once in my life and I keep the cash!

sephirothishere
10-12-2006, 09:46 PM
...nahh...i think that 600$ is probably easier to get over than jail.....

id go with the 600$...

nik0tine
10-12-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd probably go for the week in jail. I doubt they would send anyone to a big prison for a crime like that, so being raped doesn't sound likely.

theundeadhero
10-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Does he make more than $600 a week? Will he still have a job if he's not able to work for a week?

Those are what I would consider.

Pete for President
10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Both ways suck. Personally I think I'd pay the $600.

Jowy
10-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Actually, he just quit his job a week ago, so there's nothing to worry about in that category. xD

And no, it's about $600 bi-weekly.

Rainecloud
10-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I'd pay the money. No jail time for me, thanks.

Parking laws can get a little extreme at times in the UK, too. Leaving your car outside your own house really shouldn't bother anybody else, but nosey neighbours always seem to like to ring the authorities to have them towed away. Ridiculous, isn't it?

escobert
10-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I'd spend the week in jail, but that's me.

sephirothishere
10-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Parking laws can get a little extreme at times in the UK, too. Leaving your car outside your own house really shouldn't bother anybody else, but nosey neighbours always seem to like to ring the authorities to have them towed away. Ridiculous, isn't it?

yeh it does kinda suck....cuz if the cars is like on fire or some /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif then its not nice to have around...i can understand why people wouldnt want tha but if its jus nto workin to good...there shouldnt be a problem...

Reles
10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Jail isn't as bad as people make it out as, he could get free food and make some new friends. :D

rubah
10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I would sue the city for the cost of the ticket and for a tow truck.

And the legal fees.

fire_of_avalon
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
They're probably not just going to take him to jail because they have to bring him up on charges, then court costs will be levyed. And from here on out, he has to report the jail time on job applications. He should pay the cash.

Rainecloud
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM

yeh it does kinda suck....cuz if the cars is like on fire or some /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif then its not nice to have around...i can understand why people wouldnt want tha but if its jus nto workin to good...there shouldnt be a problem...

The Police in my local area were called out to deal with a "torched" car, and they just left it in the street for months. Eventually, a tow truck came and took it away, but ... why leave it for so long? The local residents were not amused, to say the very least.

Iceglow
10-12-2006, 11:38 PM
I'd pay the money. No jail time for me, thanks.

Not just the parking laws but the speeding laws too. My older brother got sentenced to 6 weeks or so in prison for non payment of a speeding fine where he had been doing 100+ on a deserted road in the dead of night and caught on camera. He moved from the area to Birmingham and the local authorities never told him where to pay the money and so he couldn't pay even though he was trying to. The police were disgusted with the judge even when he pronounced the sentence, since the case before had been a 18 year old who beat a 89 year old lady up for her pension and left her for dead and the guy walked away with 20 hours community service! Infact my brother even sued ITV1's Police Cameral Action who claimed he had been drink driving and endangering the lives of other road users, my brother had not been drinking and held a racing car license at the time so knew exactly how to handle the car safely.

The UK has gone crazy with the legal system.

Vikeve
10-13-2006, 12:26 AM
I would go for the week in jail, i mean you get to keep the money. Plus you get a new expirience make some new friends then no one will mess with you since you went to jail they'll think your so tough.

So what did he choose?

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-13-2006, 12:34 AM
If I had the choice, I'd take the $600 fine. If I ever had to go to jail, I'd be devastated.

But, I would get mad and try and contest the ticket. If you car doesn't run, what can you do about it? It only matters how long it was there. If it was there for 2 weeks, I can understand, but if it was like what happened to me (when I ran out of gas on the freeway), I just wrote a note on the dashboard saying that I was on my way to get gas. The cop wrote a note on my car's window pretty much saying "It's okay, don't leave it here all day."

Shlup
10-13-2006, 12:39 AM
You'd think parking your car wouldn't be such a big deal. My old car is sitting outside my apartment in a guest parking spot, and after a couple weeks of not driving it they put a "move it or lose it" ticket on my car. So I moved it two spaces over. Pains in the asses.

Your friend is dumb for not just moving it after he got the ticket. They tell you before they fine you.

o_O
10-13-2006, 02:15 AM
And from here on out, he has to report the jail time on job applications. He should pay the cash.

That's what I was going to say.

I thought parking laws in New Zealand were anal....