PDA

View Full Version : The Nintendo Wii's Launch

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Are you going to buy a Nintendo Wii on November 19? I was excited about the Wii's launch but after reading my November issue of GameInformer I'm not sure if I should buy a Wii at launch.

Because part of a sentence I read in a section called "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" was talking about the X-Box 360's launch last year. It said: "Mircosoft is only now admitting it's initial batch of Xbox 360s were defective (yeah that red semi-circle of death is not normal.)"

This made me think about Nintendo's initial batch of Wiis...What if the Wii consoles are defective too? I'll have a copy of Red Steel and the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess but I won't be able play those games if my Wii is defective.

Xander
10-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Umm, go change it for another? I'll probably buy a Wii if twilight princess is released at the same time, sure, it'll be my christmas present to me. :D Anyway nintendo is not microsoft, I have faith in them ^_^

Zeromus_X
10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I won't be buying it at launch, but I plan on picking one up at some time or another. I still have some Fall RPG shopping to do before I even think of getting a new console.

Ashley Schovitz
10-13-2006, 12:24 AM
no, I just won't have the money.

Hawkeye
10-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Nintendo in history has not succumbed to as many mistakes as Sony or Microsoft; their console defects, if any, have been kept to a real minimum. You don't hear as many mistakes with Nintendo Gamecube as you did with the Xbox, or PlayStation 2. If you read IGN Wii, the only 'defect' I guess you could call it that I have read was that you shouldn't leave your Wii out in the sun, because it messes up the sensors. If you're a complete idiot, you need to know that.

I plan on getting the Nintendo at launch. This is the first console I've been excited about in years. The Xbox360 and PS3 just didn't thrill me as much as the Nintendo Wii did.

Slicksword45
10-13-2006, 12:28 AM
I don't plan on getting a Wii.

I think I will buy a Ps3.

Though, I thought that the Wii had some intresting stuff with it.

Yamaneko
10-13-2006, 12:33 AM
There are enough good games coming out for the 360 in the coming year that could hold me off from getting either a PS3 or Wii for another year.

Nintendo's strategy for the Wii also has to prove itself to me before I hand over some cash.

EDIT: Their home console strategy.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2006, 12:37 AM
If you read IGN Wii, the only 'defect' I guess you could call it that I have read was that you shouldn't leave your Wii out in the sun, because it messes up the sensors. If you're a complete idiot, you need to know that.

That shouldn't be a problem since I never take my consoles with me when I go somewhere.

Slicksword45
10-13-2006, 12:39 AM
If you read IGN Wii, the only 'defect' I guess you could call it that I have read was that you shouldn't leave your Wii out in the sun, because it messes up the sensors. If you're a complete idiot, you need to know that.

That shouldn't be a problem since I never take my consoles with me when I go somewhere.

I do, but I put them in a duffle bag :)

I hope the sunlight won't break them....

Roto13
10-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Nintendo hardware is always really good quality. I still may not get one at launch, though. I want one, but I'm saving my money for a vacation next year.

I hope the sunlight won't break them....

It's not a vampire. :P

KentaRawr!
10-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Anyone should be able to tell that I will. I'm EoFF's main Nintendo Fanboy. :p

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Nintendo hardware is always really good quality. I still may not get one at launch, though. I want one, but I'm saving my money for a vacation next year.

You could sell a bunch of DVDs, video games, and video game accessories for game credit at GameStop. That's what I did and now I have a $152.52 in game credit so now I only need a hundred and forty-five dollars.

I preordered the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for five game credits. Also if you have an old outdated console that you don't want anymore you could sell that too. Just don't try to sell a PC video game to GameStop they won't take it.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-13-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm not interested in the Wii at all. I'm definetly buying a PS3, after I wait a little after launch in case of launch-model bugs. And if I save up enough money afterwards, I might buy the Xbox 360 so I can play some of the Xbox 360-exclusive games.

Tidus Andronicus
10-13-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm going to the store VERY early tomorrow, to insure my preorder... so my answer is yes... lol

The Shoeless Hobo
10-13-2006, 04:16 AM
There are enough good games coming out for the 360 in the coming year that could hold me off from getting either a PS3 or Wii for another year.

XxSephirothxX
10-13-2006, 04:16 AM
I really want Twilight Princess, so I'm going to have to get a Wii soon. Playing it in 4:3 on the GameCube just won't cut it. Maybe I'll get money for Christmas and buy one. Otherwise I'll just have to wait, because there's no way I'm spending that big a chunk of my education money. :( So, to answer the question, I probably won't be getting one at launch.

Roto13
10-13-2006, 02:23 PM

You could sell a bunch of DVDs, video games, and video game accessories for game credit at GameStop. That's what I did and now I have a $152.52 in game credit so now I only need a hundred and forty-five dollars.

I'm a collector so I keep all of my games. If I was going to sell them, though, I'd sell them myself and not trade them in for fifty cents in store credit at Game Stop.

Dreddz
10-13-2006, 07:30 PM
No, too many 360 games I want. And then theres the PS3, which I will buy late next year when the price drop occurs. Then, maybe when the Wii library is more appealing to me, I may consider buying one.

LunarWeaver
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not getting one at launch. Too many this-gen games I still need to buy and play. Hell, I'll probably still be playing Final Fantasy XII when it does launch.

I'll have to see what kind of games the Wii and Ps3 both get. That's the ultimate factor for me.

Rainecloud
10-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Not a chance.

I never buy consoles at launch, for obvious reasons.

JKTrix
10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry, obvious reasons aren't so obvious to me, unless all of your previous consoles were Playstations.

My primary reason for getting Wii ASAP is to play Zelda. That's really the strongest thing in the line-up for me. There are a few other games that look interesting at launch that I can do without, because there are several games coming out for other systems that can hold me over till Mario or Smash Bros or whatever. PS2 still has a heck of a lot of quality games coming out, 360 has a few (but if I had only a 360 it wouldn't be enough), and DS is just pumping out hits right now. I might even pick up Lumines 2.
Zelda will probably jump right to the top of my 'Play Now' list when it finially reaches my country, but after that it'll be back to my more aged systems.

Rainecloud
10-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Sorry, obvious reasons aren't so obvious to me, unless all of your previous consoles were Playstations.

You know, the usual. No money, can't be arsed, etc. ;)

*Note: I dislike Playstations in general and have only ever owned them for the sole purpose of playing Final Fantasy games.

Jowy
10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I plan on picking it up on launch. I got my N64 and GCN at launch, so I might as well keep up the trend. That and I want to play Zelda.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2006, 09:48 PM
I went to Gamestop earlier today and I couldn't preorder my Wii because they had a limited supply of only 14 Wiis and everyone but myself had preordered one already...A large group of people were standing outside Gamestop at midnight and it was on the news. My dad who had heard this from my younger brother told me after I left Gamestop.

Jowy
10-13-2006, 10:44 PM
My grandmother offered to go preorder mine while I was at work. I really hope that I don't have to camp out at Best Buy for this. I'll be quite disappointed if the preorders were full as soon as they opened.

Edit: Got my preorder. There's apparently a midnight launch for Zelda, so I'd just naturally assume you can buy the Wii at that point as well. And it's on a Sunday too. <3 Nintendo.

Reine
10-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Yes, If I have the money, I will. However, initially, I will be getting it primarily fir the Virtual Console and GC backwards compatibility, as my brother broke my GC..

So far, only Zelda seems to interest me out of the Wii games..

Denmark
10-14-2006, 08:35 AM
no, reasons being:
1) i don't have any money
2) i don't really have any time to play video games
3) so far all i want is twilight princess and I can play that on GCN at home during christmas break
4) it's called the peepee.

Rainecloud
10-14-2006, 08:43 AM
My grandmother offered to go preorder mine while I was at work. I really hope that I don't have to camp out at Best Buy for this. I'll be quite disappointed if the preorders were full as soon as they opened.

Edit: Got my preorder. There's apparently a midnight launch for Zelda, so I'd just naturally assume you can buy the Wii at that point as well. And it's on a Sunday too. <3 Nintendo.

According to Game Store here in the UK, even if you preorder a Wii, they are unable to guarantee one for launch day.

I don't know whether this is just a standard thing that they always have to say, or whether they're genuinely concerned about not having enough consoles on the launch day.

I think I'll hang on 'till March before shelling out.