PDA

View Full Version : Arrh! Drivers license!

Pete for President
10-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Heya,

I just got home from my second-last drivers-lesson (at least I hope so) and today my instructor put me up for a little test. He was just gonna sit there and let me drive, pretending to be a examinator (or how do you call such a person) like a real drivers-exam. All he did was tell me the directions and that was it.

Result was, I failed horribly. Apparently I still screw up on crossings, and my real test is this Wednesday! D'oh!

So my question is, who else have had problems getting his/her license? like how many lessons did it take? if you failed the test, what exactly went wrong?

Tell me :rolleyes2

Levian
10-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I've driven mostly with my mom, which is probably a bad thing because she doesn't always correct me and I've put on some bad habits.
It's much cheaper than taking a lot of driver's lessons, though. I'm hoping to get my license before summer. :mog:

Xander
10-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I didn't have any major problems, once I went the wrong way but that's about it. In my test I only got a few minors although one was almost relaly bad apparently because I was in the wrong lane of the roundabout almost...although my mum drives anywhere she likes on the roundabout!

So yeah, passed first time, I was 17 and it was about 8 months after I started learning I think.

Jojee
10-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Advice: don't be afraid to go slower than the speed limit ^^; If keeping up with the speed limit distracts you from other more important things, going slower (as long as it's not like 20 miles slower) is perfectly fine :</>D I learned that my second time around.

Also, I'm still a horrible driver but they passed me. Muwahah ^^;

Xander
10-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Advice: don't be afraid to go slower than the speed limit ^^; If keeping up with the speed limit distracts you from other more important things, going slower (as long as it's not like 20 miles slower) is perfectly fine :</>D I learned that my second time around.

Also, I'm still a horrible driver but they passed me. Muwahah ^^;

I got told off for going 30 in a 40 mile limit, silly!

Jojee
10-13-2006, 02:07 PM
I didn't xD I was going like 25 in a 35 and he told me not to be so scared and I was doing fine! ^_^;; I was scared -_-; I didn't wanna fail my second time too.

Peter_20
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
In theory I was a good driver, but I always went all nervous whenever those instructors were sitting beside me. :rolleyes2
So I failed the first one, but that was mainly because I disliked the instructor.
Then I got another one, and he rocked; he was calm all the time, and didn't have this "ahem, do this right" attitude, but more like "yes, we're gonna drive, just relax and have fun".

I think the way you get along with your instructor is very, very important. :D

Jowy
10-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I couldn't parallel park the first time so I failed. And then I passed after waiting a week and trying again.

Cz
10-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I failed one a couple of hours ago. I just suck at driving, more than anything else.

Clouded Sky
10-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I passed mine the first time no problem and I have been driving fine for nearly 3 years since.

bipper
10-13-2006, 04:13 PM
actually, I would find some abandonded area where you can go and whip /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifties, and go nuts. That is how I learned to drive. IT is like a mental thing, once you tame the beast, its much easier to operate.

Shlup
10-13-2006, 04:22 PM
And I thought I was a horrible driver, but I passed with ease. You people are miserable.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I failed a mock recently. I'm only in the process of booking the real thing

Bahamut2000X
10-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Took me 2 tries for my temps, and 2 tries for my liscense. First time my liscense test sucked cause I had a b**** of an examiner. Second time around guy was cool so I passed easily. Even did that stupid manuerveurability with like 1 centimeter to spare as I went back. Was freaking out the whole time.

Rainecloud
10-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Everybody fails on the practice runs. The driving instructors are unduly harsh in order to prepare you for the final test.

At least that's what he told me when I failed.

Pete for President
10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Everybody fails on the practice runs. The driving instructors are unduly harsh in order to prepare you for the final test.

At least that's what he told me when I failed.

I sure hope so! My instructor had to hit the breaks for me twice today. I just blame friday the 13th for bad luck, but I'll have to see how I'll do monday, which will be my final lesson before the test.

starseeker
10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I can't get a licence until next year since I'm only 16.

Pete for President
10-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I had my drivers test today, and I failed. Not horribly though, one stupid mistake. It all went well after that but still, it was enough to make me fail.

Oh well... better luck next time I guess...

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm not old enough to drive legally, but whatever. When I first practised I stalled like, five times. But I got over that. Now I'm OK. I like driving, but I don't like the constricted feeling on your legs, and how they're almost always tensed. Makes me ache.

Rye
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I got my learner's permit in the summer, which allows me to drive with a parent, so I've been learning from my Mom. I think I'm a pretty decent driver. I haven't done a lot of advanced driving, mostly just driving in the small two-way streets near my house, but I'll be driving on main roads with multiple lanes and such soon enough. :)

I take driver's ed in Spring, and then I'll get my actual license a bit before my birthday, which is the end of June~

Ender
10-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I went 41mph once in a 40mph zone when the road turned downhill and failed my first time.

Second time we didn't even leave the parking lot.

I have never gotten a ticket of any kind in the 12 years since. Did get in an accident once when I was 18 during a snowstorm when my car slid about 60 yards after hitting the breaks, tapping the car in front of me on the bumper. I was only going like 20 mph at the time as well--crappy luck that.

Quindiana Jones
10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I went 45mph on a 30 limit. ON A BIKE.

ShunNakamura
10-19-2006, 10:00 PM
My mom has a funny story about driver testing.

The maneuverbility part of it is 100 inches or so wide if Memory serves right. My Grandpa's truck(which my parents now own) is about 96 inches wide(it is just a bit wider than our RV mirror to mirror, and its mirrors are not quite tall enough to go over the top of the manueverbility courses poles). The body of the truck is about 76 and the mirros are about 10 each(it has the really old vertical rectangular mirrors, which is way they don't go over the poles).

It was Grandpa's only vehicle when he went to take the drivers test(he had accidently let his license expire and had to retake it). He just could not quite get the truck through the course. Every time his mirrors would just barely catch the pole, just enough that he would have to start over. Apparently the examiner said something not quite nice(about how did grandpa ever get his license to begin with).

Here I shall stop and tell you something about my grandpa. He is about 6'6"-6'8" and he weighed at the time nearly 300 lbs(and he is a farmer so that was NOT fat). Very big guy. Second he takes crap from NOBODY.

"Well your branch passed me," grandfather told the examiner, "and frankly I would like to see YOU get through the manueverbility course with this. If you can than I will concede that I shouldn't get my license if not then I say we should either both have our license or both not have our license."

According to mom the examiner quickly and promptly refused(I would too.... that would be hell to get through the course). Grandpa took it up to the guy in charge of the branch and what they ended up doing is letting him drive one of thier cars to do the maneuverbility portion. None of the people at the Bureu thought that they could get the truck through(with only 2'ish inches of clearance on either side that would be realy tough to do).

Anyways mom told me that little 'family legend' back when I first took my Drivers test. Reason being we found that the Bureu we went to had the course about 2-3 inches thinner than normal. Mom was furious(because I only just was catching the poles on my mirrors, just barely, though this was because I am only mediacore when driving in reverse my vehicle mirrors included has an addition 4-6 inches more an each side than grandpa's truck). They said those couple inches shouldn't matter. So mom decided to play grandpa's truck card. She asked them if it would matter then. Was kinda funny to see the examiner take the heat :choc2:.

Anyways as soon as she could mom took me to the bureu branch in the next nearest city(she didn't want to take me there first due to the fact that it is in a far bigger city than anything I had previousally driven in before, even though we had heard plenty of bad things about the nearer branch). Passed the manueverbility first time, no problemo. I was only barely catching it to begin with, and since these guys were spaced out those extra inches I got through with ease.

Still I love my grandpa's old truck. Actually, I think it is capable of qualify for antique car licenses now.... maybe, I would have to look it up. It is in really really bad shape these days.

Yamaneko
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I hit an old lady and I still passed.

rubah
10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I got my license in a perfectly normal manner.

Jess
10-19-2006, 11:45 PM
I sent off for my provisional license the other day, I start driving next month. I hope all goes well! :jess:

Denmark
10-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I failed my first time because I never did a FULL stop at stop signs, only the half-stops which I still continue to do to this day when there's no crosstraffic.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I got my license in a perfectly normal manner.

Sleeping with the person testing you?

Hawkeye
10-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I got a get-out-of-jail-free-card because I took a drivers education class as a sophomore in high school, so I never had to take the DMV's driving test. I would've passed it anyways. Driving becomes like second nature to you. You really just need more practice I think.

And I thought I was a horrible driver, but I passed with ease. You people are miserable.Woman are always horrible drivers, and never forget that.

Quindiana Jones
10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Hawkeye the noo!

Women aren't worse drivers.

Women make the safest drivers
We could save a buncha fivers!

By the way. All women should be insulted by that advert.

Samuraid
10-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Somehow I got a perfect score... :eep:

Burtsplurt
10-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I failed my first one after I tried to reverse into an old lady.

The second time I was a lot more relaxed and I didn't try any impromptu reversing. I've supposedly been driving for 7 years now, but I'm still pretty rubbish.