PDA

View Full Version : KH2 - Locking on with spells

Xander
10-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey, I thought I got an ability that means I can direct spells at enemies by locking onto them with R1/R2 (whichever it is), I think it works with one of my spells, blizzard or thunder or something, but my other one Fire just casts it in a circle around me and doesn't ever direct it at the thing I lock onto... any ideas?

Works good with lots of little heartless around me, but I want to cast it from faraway in some cases. Magic isn't my speciality, heh.

Frozen Phantom
10-14-2006, 11:00 PM
fire always works like that, it has nothing to do with your magic lock on

SE changed fire so it worked like a slight AOE ability, even though its pretty much useless :(

Xander
10-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh right, I guess I forgot. Uhh, can you remind me what SE and AOE mean? xD

Tavrobel
10-15-2006, 12:13 AM
SE = Square Enix
AoE = Area of Effect (often an effect or damage)

Reflect causes projectiles to be bounced back with a slightly greater accuracy (bare minimum), if the target who created the projectiles is also locked-on; essentially, it does nothing for Reflect.

Cure doesn't do anything, unless you consider that the animation appears over Sora's head instead of being super-imposed on the screen above his head (again, this means nothing).

Thunder directs the bolt towards the enemy locked-on; in Final, Master, and Wisdom, the first bolt in Final/Finishing bolt (Wisdom, Master) will strike the first enemy, then randomly strike areas around the target.

Blizzard shoots in the area of the locked-on enemy, slight tracking in Final and Master (and possibly Wisdom).

Fire will actually move Sora to the closest enemy, if it's the one locked on. This is mostly relevant in the Wisdom and Final Modes, in which no matter what you do, if you cast Fire, it will move you towards the closest enemy, as per their ability to float and defy gravity. I'm fairly sure it does not get affected in Master.

Magnet locks onto the closest enemy (is not affected by target lock or Form).

No.78
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Fire? Useless? Pfft, I use this spell the most. It's awesome in Master Drive form ;) And good if you're surrounded, sometimes. I find Blizzard the most useless

Xander
10-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Cure doesn't do anything, unless you consider that the animation appears over Sora's head instead of being super-imposed on the screen above his head (again, this means nothing).

Thanks for the info, but what do you mean "cure doesn't do anything", it still cures me right?? xD (I just got it and havent used it yet..), what's final, master and wisdom?

Tavrobel
10-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Ohh, sorry if that might have been unclear. Cure will always cure you, unless it gets cancelled. Cure has it's own version of Lock-On, an ability called Leaf Bracer, which makes sure that Cure will always cure you, even when the spell is interrupted.

Wisdom, Master, and Final Forms are Drive forms for Sora (much like Valor). They all have unique abilities (mostly Magic enhancing and Keyblade beat-er-upping), and their own spiffy color clothes to match. If you defeat a boss in a form, you can see Sora wear those clothes in the concluding cutscene.

However, if I told you where to get them, that would be a spoiler, because they are received after plot points.

Xander
10-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Ohh cool. Yeah it's okay I don't wanna know how to get them.. I have only used Valor once so far, still getting used to it! I mostly just hit hit hit stuff anyway...xD

Markus. D
10-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Fire? Useless? Pfft, I use this spell the most. It's awesome in Master Drive form ;) And good if you're surrounded, sometimes. I find Blizzard the most useless

the onl spell I found useless. packed a nasty punch when used in combo.

as for fire, yeah, its a surround AoE type attack, not useless at all :D.
but in most cases (non elemental weakness for example) Thunder worked just that little bit better.

exz2005
10-19-2006, 05:06 AM
personally, i love spamming blizzard in final form, especially against strong nobodies :D
awesome combo with final form.

Sefie1999AD
10-20-2006, 12:02 AM
So far, I haven't really used the Fire spell much. Usually the enemies aren't surrounding Sora that much that I'd need an AoE spell, and mostly I'm fine using my Keyblade in short range encounters. However, I think Blizzard has been very good against the tough enemies that can hurt you big-time if you get close to them, such as the Centauri-style enemies in Mulan's World or Large Bodies in some other worlds. About Cure, it seems to heal other party members too. Does it always heal everyone in the party, or do the party members have to stay close to Sora so that Cure would heal them too?

Markus. D
10-20-2006, 12:16 AM
dont forget about the pirates ;)

that HATE magic.

2 bolts and boom they are gone.

Sefie1999AD
10-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Ah, right. Well, I haven't reached the Pirates world yet, so I didn't know that, but I'll try to remember that when I get there. :)

Lord Xehanort
10-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Spells I used:

Cure Family
Magnet Family
Reflect Family

That's it.

Against the pirates, I just waited for them to get into the shadows... because I had no attack spells programmed to my quick spell menu.