PDA

View Full Version : Last boss!! [spoilers]

feioncastor
10-15-2006, 08:18 AM
So, who else thought that Zeromus was among the harder final bosses from the FF games? I mean, with Kefka or Sephiroth, by the time you can get to him, you can usually take him right then and there. But with Zeromus, you can usually get to him by level 50 or so. And you don't stand the slightest chance until you hit level 60, unless you're ridiculously good at the game.

I think they may have made him a bit too hard, even on FF4 easy type. I got to him for the first time in 1993, but I didn't beat him until about 1999 or so. It's not that I was trying everyday for that whole time period, but it goes to show that he was so frustrating that I'd actually just lay the game down and play something else for a bit, rather than keeping on with the leveling and finding a way to beat him.

What did you all think?

Zeromus_X
10-15-2006, 08:27 AM
There's a great Rengori quote I could insert here, but yeah, he's definitely among the harder final bosses. Of course, this was back when difficult final bosses were actually a priority, so...

I often have a really hard time with him unless I dupe some Excaliburs. And even then he's really annoying.

Elpizo
10-15-2006, 09:01 AM
In the US FF II I beat him in my first try.
In teh GBA version he kicked my behind 5 times before I finally could beat him. He used Big Bang every turn and healing was a pain...
Now with all Ultimate Weapons, I screw him, and with soem mega-elixers he has become quite easy, but I still need to watch out, for hsi Big Bang still takes away 2000 HP with everyone.

So yeah, he is one of the thougher cookies in FF. But Neo-X-Death was harder, IMO.

Captain Maxx Power
10-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I could point out he's possible with a single character, but I hate to repeat myself.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-15-2006, 01:38 PM
I think they may have made him a bit too hard, even on FF4 easy type. I got to him for the first time in 1993Just so you know, the American SNES version of FFIV isn't FFIV Easy Type. Easy Type is even...well, easier (http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/ff4wrong/index.html).

XandrewX
10-15-2006, 02:05 PM
FF4 final boss I killed it with my first attempt...

Jowy
10-15-2006, 03:59 PM
The first time I played through, I was slightly underleveled and more or less was told by Zeromus to sit in the car. And then I leveled up to ~60, and didn't seem to have much difficulty. I beat the GBA version at around level 50 or so and didn't have any trouble at all, though.

Decessus
10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Neo-Exdeath is harder.

boys from the dwarf
10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
yeah. neo X-death takes longer and has loads of HP, has ultragust and the grand cross type attack along with flare. i beat him at level 39. i got everyone as a summoner with white mage or something like that and just bahamutted away at him.

a very tough boss

Znake
10-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I think they may have made him a bit too hard, even on FF4 easy type. I got to him for the first time in 1993Just so you know, the American SNES version of FFIV isn't FFIV Easy Type. Easy Type is even...well, easier (http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/ff4wrong/index.html).The part entitled The Incredible Invisible Treasure!. Can that be found on the GBA version?

Ender
10-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Heck, the whole game is pretty hard--and certainly so on the first run-through. If you know what you're doing I'm guessing you could get through relatively unscathed, but it's definitely the type of game where if you make a mistake you can get hurt bad (ie try casting Holy against a Behemoth) no matter what level you're at.

I defeated Zeromus last night for the first time, and even with levels in the high 70s, the battle was pretty intense. For the amount of relatively mindless leveling the game encouraged, at least the payoff in terms of the story, final level, and final battle, made it worth it.

FFIV = Double Plus Good

Brian The Pink Shark
10-17-2006, 02:56 PM
zeromus was tough, but FFIV is one of my favorites for levelling up in and the last boss music is fantastic, in fact the whole game is just great, the only FF game i have immediatly started again after completeing it :choc:

Jowy
10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I think they may have made him a bit too hard, even on FF4 easy type. I got to him for the first time in 1993Just so you know, the American SNES version of FFIV isn't FFIV Easy Type. Easy Type is even...well, easier (http://www.geocities.com/arcanelore2001/articles/ff4wrong/index.html).The part entitled The Incredible Invisible Treasure!. Can that be found on the GBA version?

Nope, no monster on the floor in the Lunar Palace, or Shadow sword on the floor in the Sealed Cave in the GBA version. ;) By the way, thanks, Kishi. I lost the link to that site a while ago.

Sefie1999AD
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I also think Zeromus was amazingly hard, even in the US SNES version (FF"2"), but that was because I was playing on the fastest battle speed, which makes things a lot harder. With the fastest speed, Zeromus was hard until you get to levels 58-60+ in the US SNES version, at least for me. With the fastest speed in the SNES hard type version, he was almost impossible unless you reach levels 60-65, and even then he was really hard. In GBA, I've only fought him with the normal battle speed around level 65, and I found him really easy.

KoShiatar
10-20-2006, 01:03 PM
In the Japanese SNES version I first got to him at level 60, and he handed my ass to me on a silver plate. I beat him at level 80 or so.

Sefie1999AD
10-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, level 80 sure is a high level. I'm not sure if I could be bothered to level up that much to defeat Zeromus. It already takes a really long time to get Rydia to level 60 so that she can cast Meteo.

ValiantKnight
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
key to beating zeromus is not letting anyone die.. because once you do, its very difficult to try to time it so they come back and get healed... and trying to mess with the timing could land you a double big bang which wipes out your party.

80 seems still reasonable to me.... since Z's main attack is so cheap :)
It would take an incredible amount of lvling to get there, but it seems reasonable.

Perhaps with adamant armor, since it increases all stats 15? maybe Rosa's Cure4 would do more healing enabling lower levels to have a better shot.

That's the only problem with the battle.. its not like Z has alot of HP, its just Rosa can't keep up with the healing on big bang... and he casts it so often.

But in the low 60s, on a low battle speed, you rarely see two big bangs before a cure4, and Rosa's will is high enough to heal enough that you'll last til the end.

PS1 version of course.

Someday I need to lookup the differences between the SNES and PS1 versions...
What makes easytype easy, and hardtype hard.

Sefie1999AD
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
That's the only problem with the battle.. its not like Z has alot of HP, its just Rosa can't keep up with the healing on big bang... and he casts it so often.

But in the low 60s, on a low battle speed, you rarely see two big bangs before a cure4, and Rosa's will is high enough to heal enough that you'll last til the end.

Yes, and that's exactly why Zeromus is so hard on the fastest battle speed. You'll barely have time to keep casting Cure4 on every turn to heal the damage done by Big Bang, and Zeromus pretty much uses the move on every turn.

KoShiatar
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I was forced to use Rydia as a healer with Asura actually, always praying for a strike of good luck.

Evastio
10-21-2006, 12:07 AM
He is quite a hard boss especially because of his Big Bang attack.

Bahamut2000X
10-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Meh I find him ok challenge. My lowest beating him was in mid 40's on my second to last time through the game on the PSX remake.

Personally I say X-Death was harder (granted I was like 20 levels too low to fight him when I did it and he could nearly one shot me at will. >.>) And FFVIII's last fight.

But beyond those I would say IV would rank amoung the harder ones. Much easier then some *coughFFXcough*

ValiantKnight
10-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Hmm
Do 4 and 5 have challenge just because they have no difficult optional super bosses like the FFs that follow them?

Erm sorry if my memory is bad, just don't remember a big bad optional boss in IV.

And I don't remember hearing about one in V...

This is excluding the advance versions.

boys from the dwarf
10-21-2006, 08:47 AM
in FFV there is omega and shinryu and in FFVA there is omega, shinryu and enuo. they are all supposed to be harder than neo X-death (apart from possibly enuo because none of us really know how powerful he's supposed to be.)

well in FF4 and 5 that was the time where they made the final bosses absolutely giant and crazy looking. notice how after FF4 and 5 the main enemies seem to play a bigger role in the game and dont look as crazy.

FF4 and 5 were great challenges which is why i liked them. they also had some of the hardest final bosses.

Sefie1999AD
10-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I was forced to use Rydia as a healer with Asura actually, always praying for a strike of good luck.

I also do that at times during the final battle. It works pretty well in the English SNES version because your chances of getting healed are 2/3 (Ashura has two different healing spells and a Life spell), but Ashura isn't as useful at all in the Hard Type versions since she only heals 1/3 of the time. Mostly she just casts Protect on my party, which gets dispelled by Zeromus' Black Hole, or Life, when nobody is knocked out. :mad:

Firo Volondé
10-22-2006, 01:25 PM
But beyond those I would say IV would rank amoung the harder ones. Much easier then some *coughFFXcough*

FFX had an easy final boss because the real 'final bosses' were the Dark Aeons and Penance, unfortunately for Non-International players. Also, FFIV was not designed to go worldwide, meaning more challenging gameplay.