PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME PLEASE :'(

Yuna_wannabe
10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
I was sent the Trojan virus over msn and i need help getting rid of it and i wanna download another version of msn so what do i do?

Khaotic
10-16-2006, 03:10 AM
"the trojan virus" ? can you be more specific?

Anyways, I'd suggest downloading some virus protection so it doesn't happen in the future, I can't really give anymore help unless I know what virus you're talking about, but maybe Ad-Aware or another program can delete it.

o_O
10-16-2006, 03:58 AM
What Khaotic said.

Getting a new version of MSN won't stop a trojan virus, nor will a trojan virus stop you from getting a new version of MSN.
How do you know you have a trojan? What does it do that makes you aware of it?

An antivirus program is the best way to go.

ShunNakamura
10-16-2006, 04:33 AM
Is it Collected.AF? My sister picked it up off MSN just recently. I just did a reformat.... been wanting to put XP on her machine for ever, but never had a reason to reformat. In addition she now has more security than she ever wanted :P.

My suggestion would be to use a-squared free and see if that catches it. Run a resident shield that monitors all processes... if you can have it block the virus process(a weak patch, but it gives you breathing room, I think spybot managed to block my sister's virus well/long enough for me to back up all her files(slow as can be due to all the activity in the background though)).

Anyways once you got a virus, it is a REAL pain to get rid of. The best virus protection is the avoidance of viruses. My setup on my sisters computer is AVG, A-squared, Spybot, Kerio, and, I think, Windows Defender(I wanted to try it, so used my sister as a guinea pig). And since this last instance she hasn't had a single issue(other than my security blocking java scripts and other things that she wants to be able to run on sites and on her computer). To break down, AVG is a very solid anti-virus with a free version(that works mightily well). Spybot is a free anti-spyware that I find works well enough for me. A-squared is very usefull and powerful anti-malaware program that tends to pick up anything that the two above miss. Plus it's resident shield is nice. Kerio is a nice solid firewall that does about everything you need on a home computer. All the above is free[or has free versions that are functional].

Anyways I would say download those tools and see what they do. At the least they will give you some names of what is infecting you, and we can go from there.

Evastio
10-18-2006, 02:54 AM
AVG Free Edition works quite well when it comes to removing viruses.

eestlinc
10-18-2006, 06:06 AM
buy a new Intel Mac.