PDA

View Full Version : Is HDTV the future of gaming?

Nifleheim7
10-16-2006, 06:31 AM
I was reading an article the other day at gamasutra http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061009/wen_01.shtml about HDTV's (High Definition tv's).and i was wondering how many of you own a HDTV?
Do you think that in order to enjoy next gen games you should upgrade to HDTV's?
I think this will be a major advantage in the long run for PS3 sales being the only console wiith an HD-DVD drive that can be used for games.

Jowy
10-16-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm more than content with my standard video hookups. I don't really care about hi-def.

Nifleheim7
10-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Is it because of the price or you don't care about graphics?:confused:

RiseToFall
10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Is HD-TV the future of gaming?
Yes, look at the 360 and PS3, to enjoy them fully you need an HD-TV.

Do I own an HD-TV?
No, but I plan on getting one within the next year or so.

Do you think that in order to enjoy next gen games you should upgrade to HDTV's?
Yes, when you play Dead Rising on a regular non HD TV you can barely read the text. Play it on a HD and it changes everything.

As for PS3 having the only HD-DVD Drive, I beleive you will be able to purchase one for the 360 for $199, making the system cost exactly as much as a PS3.

Jowy
10-16-2006, 06:46 AM
I don't care about graphics. While I do like that Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria is really pretty to look at, the gameplay is what I focus moreso on.

Rostum
10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
I think I'm going to be pretty screwed for awhile. I have four old TV's and I don't plan on buying any HD TV's, waste of money. =\

Nifleheim7
10-16-2006, 06:51 AM
As for PS3 having the only HD-DVD Drive, I beleive you will be able to purchase one for the 360 for $199, making the system cost exactly as much as a PS3.

Yes,but they say it will only be for movies and it will cost more than the less expensive PS3 version.

Samuraid
10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Yes, HD is basically the future of visual entertainment as a whole. It's not that people will be forced to shell out tons of money for it, it will simply become cheaper and mainstream as normal Standard definition TVs are now.

I do not own a TV personally. My family owns a standard definition TV.

RiseToFall
10-16-2006, 06:57 AM

Yes,but they say it will only be for movies and it will cost more than the less expensive PS3 version.

See the biggest problem with the cheaper version of the PS3 is that it won't have HDMI outputs. Meaning that it won't be able to render 1080p resolution.(beleive me, this is the kind you want) The $600 PS3 does have the necessary outputs and you will get crystal clear 1080p resolution.

Rainecloud
10-16-2006, 06:58 AM
I've not seen HDTV in action. I can't imagine it's going to be that much better than standard TV, but that's because I'm a stubborn fool who's still stuck in the 16-Bit era.

Right now, I'd say that HDTV gaming isn't all that important. People aren't really looking at HDTV features as a reason to buy new consoles. By the time the next generation of consoles come out, HDTV gaming may well be a huge factor.

It'll be interesting to see, no doubt.

LunarWeaver
10-16-2006, 06:59 AM
It is, but I'm not hopping aboard the hi-def train for a long time. I can't afford a Ps3 right now, let alone a new television with it. It will take me a while to get nice and caught up on all this crap.

Nifleheim7
10-16-2006, 07:02 AM

See the biggest problem with the cheaper version of the PS3 is that it won't have HDMI outputs. Meaning that it won't be able to render 1080p resolution.(beleive me, this is the kind you want) The $600 PS3 does have the necessary outputs and you will get crystal clear 1080p resolution.

Oh,i didn't know that!

Araciel
10-16-2006, 08:01 AM
yes it's the future...with my 32 inch CRT i can't make out the writing in dead rising...apparently you need HD or a giant screen....i think i should just buy the VGA cable and use my computer monitor.

Samuraid
10-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Oh,i didn't know that!

You don't need HDMI to run 1080p. And the cheaper PS3 will come with an HDMI output.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060922e.pdf

Just wanted to mention. :)

RiseToFall
10-16-2006, 08:19 AM

Oh,i didn't know that!

You don't need HDMI to run 1080p. And the cheaper PS3 will come with an HDMI output.
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060922e.pdf

Just wanted to mention. :)

Thank you for that, I did not know that they changed it.

Mirage
10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
For me, graphics will always be a secondary concern.
I think the best reason for a game to have good graphics should be to give a great first impression, so that new gamers buy a game and then later find out how awesome everything else in the game is. Unfortunately, nowadays very many games only focus on eyecandy, with very little substance. Sadly, this strategy works as long as the graphics hype is constantly fed with new flashy stuff.

I wouldn't turn down the offer if I got a HDTV at the same size and price as a SDTV, but I would never go out of the way to get my hands on one. For me, DVD quality is sufficient for many years to come. When HDTVs are as cheap as SDTVs are today, then I'll buy one.

Dreddz
10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
At the moment, not really, no matter what companies are telling you, its not. In the future, yes it will, but longer than what people will imagine. I can see lots of people sticking with their standard TV's for along time to come.

Araciel
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
you know thats the attitude i have, but at the same time, as i mentioned before, the games being designed for HDTVs means that we will suffer with minor annoyances. the difference IS staggering, but not enough to make me want to buy a new tv. graphics have always held a low place of importance for me. it's all about the gameplay!

JKTrix
10-16-2006, 12:21 PM
I picked up an HDTV shortly after Halo 2 came out, and it was grand. I was all set for HD when the 360 came out, so when I popped in some games you could really see the difference. That Fight Night demo made my eyes pop.

HDTVs are still fairly new, and as someone mentioned before not yet mainstream. If you don't intend on getting a PS360 anytime soon, you can definitely do with your SDTV. Even if you do get the powerful Next Gen systems, you can still play most of the games, but the jump to HD is definitely noticeable in games that do it right.

Reine
10-22-2006, 06:33 AM
Ive only recently seen what games and movies are like on an HDTV, thanks to the LCD attachable screen for my PS2, and it annoys me that actual TVs are still usually around $5000 NZ for a somewhat decent one. Yesterday, I saw the PS3's graphics at this expo thing, and despite not being at its full potential (for demo purposes or something) I couldnt believe how high the detail was.

It also annoys me that its almost pointless in me getting an XBox 360, as Ive seen what its like on a normal TV, it looked like PS2/XBox graphics, just a bit clearer.

I really dont have access to such large amounts of money to upgrade to an HDTV, and I wont be able to get one any time soon (In fact, it will be many years before I am able to get one..)

Slothy
10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't have one, but I could see myself getting one within the next three years or so (after I've graduated University and am working full time). Regardless of what people think about them, they will become standard in a few years. Standard as in, all major networks will be switching over to HD broadcasts, and HDTV's will be less expensive, and quite possibly, the only thing major manufacturers will offer. Technology is always coming down in price, and coming down fast. I could see a decent HDTV being pretty affordable within two years if that.

Shoeberto
10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
If anyone has ever played PC games, it's kind of the difference between playing in 1024x768 to... 320x240. People say it's rubbish because they don't understand the technology behind it - it's not going to be a passing fad; it is going to be mainstream in just a few years as prices go down.

So yes, it is the future of gaming.

Rocket Edge
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
See what happened with colour TV? So yes.

Mirage
10-22-2006, 05:03 PM
The shift from black/white television to colour television was much bigger than what from SDTV to HDTV is, atleast 720p, which is what a lot of TV channels will broadcast at.

Rocket Edge
10-22-2006, 05:05 PM
The shift from black/white television to colour television was much bigger than what from SDTV to HDTV is, atleast 720p, which is what a lot of TV channels will broadcast at.
I think the question is irrelivant anyway. Sooner or later all TV's will switch to HD, and thats my point.

XxSephirothxX
10-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I love playing games on my LCD HDTV for a couple reasons. One, widescreen is simply fantastic and makes games like Call of Duty 2 for the 360 all the more immersive. I think that's really where HDTVs come in and are an important part of gaming--these next-gen games are often about better graphics (with the exception of the Wii, or course) and better graphics are all about getting you more into the game. Of course, my TV can only do 1080i, and I'd love to see a 1080p tv that's really pushing the limit in action, but I probably won't buy one until SED TVs have been released and don't cost an arm and a leg.

So, basically, in a few years, as HD prices continue to go down, the majority of the country will switch over and HDTVs will be very mainstream, and therefore most, if not all, games will be geared towards the HD sets. While you don't need an HDTV to enjoy next-gen games, anyone who's seen a graphically impressive game running on an HD set probably won't want to go back.

Mirage
10-22-2006, 05:29 PM
I think the question is irrelivant anyway. Sooner or later all TV's will switch to HD, and thats my point.

Sure they will, but it's not as dramatic a change as colour TV was.

Rocket Edge
10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Sure they will, but it's not as dramatic a change as colour TV was.
True, but i was making it as an example.

Sephex
10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Like most technology, I'll get one when it becomes common and cheap.

Yamaneko
10-22-2006, 08:48 PM
People that say there's no difference between SDTV and HDTV have obviously never played or watched a movie in 720p, let alone 1080p. PC games have been doing hi-def for years now. High resolution textures take a lot of power to render.

Jowy
10-22-2006, 08:54 PM
You can see through the Ring Wraiths hoods on 1080p. ;)

fantasyjunkie
10-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Eventually all TVs will be HD. Believe me, once you see how sharp that picture is you do not want to turn back. It's just waiting for prices to come down.

Rostum
10-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't really know what the market is like in America. But in Australia, the price is defenately not worth it, especially when you consider how badly manufactured they are. There's also no good services for them around here either.

I know it'd be clearer and more crisp, but I'm pretty content with playing games on my old TV's for now. It'd be a real shame if the consoles were to suddenly absolutely force you to go HD though...

ThundagAuron
10-24-2006, 02:10 AM
I thought I didn't really care about HD. But then, one day, I got Shadow of the Colossus and Resident Evil 4 and I knew something was missing.

Now I have an HDTV I snagged on eBay, and I would never go back.

So yes, HDTV is the future. Actually, HDTV is Now, I'd say. Just my 2 cents.

fantasyjunkie
10-24-2006, 08:34 AM
I don't really know what the market is like in America. But in Australia, the price is defenately not worth it, especially when you consider how badly manufactured they are. There's also no good services for them around here either.

I know it'd be clearer and more crisp, but I'm pretty content with playing games on my old TV's for now. It'd be a real shame if the consoles were to suddenly absolutely force you to go HD though...

I think the consoles are just following the trend of TVs eventually going HD. I'm pretty sure that would happen whether consoles went HD or not.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Damn straight.

Do I own an HD-TV?
Yes I do, 40+ inch widescreen. :D

I already have one, but I think everyone else should as well.

RiseToFall
10-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Damn straight.

Do I own an HD-TV?

Damn, some people have all the luck (and money).

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2006, 09:39 AM
HDTV's really aren't very expensive right now, and they're only going to get cheaper. So, in time you could end up getting an even better TV for less than I paid for mine.

RiseToFall
10-24-2006, 09:52 AM
HDTV's really aren't very expensive right now, and they're only going to get cheaper. So, in time you could end up getting an even better TV for less than I paid for mine.

Yeah I know there getting a lot cheaper, but I still just have a bit of a problem with the pricing. Here's why,

-I'm 20 years old
-In College
-And planning on buying myself a condominium real soon

So basically all the funds will be spent on the big stuff first.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Yeah I know there getting a lot cheaper, but I still just have a bit of a problem with the pricing. Here's why,

-I'm 20 years old
-In College
-And planning on buying myself a condominium real soon

So basically all the funds will be spent on the big stuff first.

Ooh yeah, first things first.

Rostum
10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Damn straight.

Do I own an HD-TV?

(and debt)

NorthernChaosGod
10-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Damn straight.

Do I own an HD-TV?

(and debt)

Paid in cash.