PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Earth Eater and others?

ValiantKnight
10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Tidus
255 str
255 def
150 mag
255 mdef
255 agi
101 luck
100~ evasion
255 accuracy.

Yuna and Auron are in the 150s mostly(luck in the 20s/30s)... Yuna with 220 str, Auron with 255. I just need to move them around the sphere grid, but I focused on tidus for a bit.

Just wondering if I'm forgetting anything on Earth Eater. It's not that he's that hard or difficult... but it takes a good while to whittle down his 1.5mil hp.
Blitz Ace only does 13k/26k per hit to him, while regular attacks do 99k
Yet Tidus has well over 255 str, in the neighborhood of probably 310.

He isn't a challenge to beat at all, I just find it strange that he takes 3x as long to beat as Greater Sphere, whom is soooo much faster, and only a tad bit harder.

Blitz Ace will do 36-40k/75-80k to Greater Sphere per hit, and it only takes 3 of them to kill him. Theres very little chance of death, and with comrade and two weak characters + auto phoenix and auto protect on Tidus, the battle goes crazy fast compared to Earth Eater who feels like i'm wading through a swamp in slush while he casts flare all the time....

Just wondering if everyone is only able to do 13/26,000 damage per hit on Earth Eater with Tidus' Blitz Ace, or if I'm forgetting something.. as I try Banishing Blade first thing every try. He's no challenge anymore like he was a while ago... just slow.

Got about 20 more empty spots to fill, probably will put luck spheres in them.. as that brings me to the other problem. That's before clearing the smaller spheres however... which I need to go back and do possibly... but Tidus seems plenty powerful for now..

Jumbo Flan.... makes earth eater seem like a one hit knock out.... I recall casting up to 40? Ultimas at 30k a piece to kill this thing... I don't think I'll be raising my magic stat very much.. though I had wanted to for Yuna.

I know about the Anima strategy for Jumbo flan and havent tried that yet, but will.
I didn't see any Earth Eater threads in a search though.
Ultima Buster went down pretty easy.. need to do some more capturing for the last one.

TheSpoonyBard
10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Try increasing Luck for more critical hits.

Shin Gouken
10-16-2006, 09:47 AM
i spent the last week killing earth eater several times. yuna and tidus have luck of 230 and rikku and wakka have about 150. Wakka's attack reels do the equilivent of about six hits so that cuts down the final battle time. break hp limit with shell auto haste and immune to death means you can basically just hammer the attack button (curser set to memory and use quick hit) turbo controllers help alot :)

ValiantKnight
10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
/nod I have no problem sitting there hammering attack with yuna/tidus/auron for an easy win of 15 attacks with 12 flares from EE and one megaton punch... I just wondered if there was a way to make Blitz Ace do more than 13/26k damage to him. To take less flare counterattacks, and thereby make the battle faster. Will try to play blitzball and get Wakka's Celestial powered up.

Otherwise guess it's luck increasing... which ironically.... comes from Earth Eater.. :)

255 agility Yuna = 190 agility Anima...

2-3 pains per turn cycle... = Jumbo Flan dead soon :)

Earth Eater still takes too long though... guess im just impatient.

Shin Gouken
10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Have you tidus' celestial weapon?

My battles go abit like this...

Me.Quick hit
EE. megaton punch
me.quick hit
me.quick hit.
EE.flare
me.quick hit
EE.flare
me. attack reels
EE. flare
me blitz ace.

n i think another flare and quick hit finish him. its about a 3 minute battle but then i fight three longer battles while building overdrives up again

Tavrobel
10-17-2006, 12:53 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=84474

The only guide you need.

rubah
10-17-2006, 02:50 PM
like Ironclad, there just isn't really any super fast way to kill Earth Eater. This is mostly because his flare counter attack takes SO FREAKING LONG BUT AT LEAST IT"S NOT ULTIMA BECAUSE GOOD LORD THAT WOULD BE VERY LONG.

Ahem.

Tavrobel
10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
like Ironclad, there just isn't really any super fast way to kill Earth Eater. This is mostly because his flare counter attack takes SO FREAKING LONG BUT AT LEAST IT"S NOT ULTIMA BECAUSE GOOD LORD THAT IS VERY LONG.

Ahem.

FIXED.

ValiantKnight
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
/attack
Megaton punch... someone dies.
/auto - phoenix
/attack
falls on his back
/attack
Flare
/attack
Flare
/Blitz Ace does 270,000~ instead of 99,999
Flare
/attack
Flare
/attack
Flare
/Blitz Ace does 270,000~
Flare
/repeat til dead

Auron
Masamune
armor with Confuse/Berserk/Stoneproof atm
255 str
190 def
130 mag
200 mdef
180 agi
20 luck
110 evasion
180 accuracy

Yuna
Nirvana
armor with SoS Shell and Auto Phoenix
255 str
255 def
180 mag
255 mdef
255 agi
17 luck~
140 evasion
255 accuracy

Tidus
Cada... however ya spell it.. his celestial
armor with Auto Haste, Auto Protect, Auto Phoenix
255 str
255 def
200 mag
255 mdef
255 agi
130 luck
160 evasion
255 accuracy

Rikku has her celestial, but isnt on the level of these three yet... 7000hp and 50-120 in most stats.. but wouldnt take long.

Wakka is close to Auron's stats, but I can't stand playing too much blitzball and its taking a while to get his overdrives... and therefore power up world champion.

Lulu finished her grid and Yuna's... thats it I think.. very weak atm.
No i'm not getting Onion Knight

Kimarhi about lulu's strength... no i'm not getting spirit lance.

I take it attack reels each ball does more than 13/26 thousand damage? which is what each hit of blitz ace does to EE.

ie... i'm trying to find something that does more than 99,999 damage in one turn to EE... besides blitz ace... or to make blitz ace more powerful against EE :) It looks like thats only Wakka... but that means more blitzball. Quick hit won't help as EE never gets a turn anyway.... and i'm 99% sure he'll counter quick hit every time with flare just like he would regular attacks.

Jumbo Flan still takes longer, but Anima + Haste + Pain = more tolerable now. I need to max Anima's agility to 255 tho.. its at 190 atm.

Flare will no longer do 9999 to Yuna now though.. so overdrives will take a little longer to charge for EE. :( oh well.

/nod I know I need to play more blitzball
/nod I know I need to finish making autohaste/protect/phoenix armors for two more people.
/nod I know I need to capure about 50 more monsters and fight Nemesis since Ultima Buster is now dead.
hmm what else left to do.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Help help help.

Well, for me, EE just went down when I summoned the Magus sisters, and Yuna only had 9800 hp. I just kept the three a float and then had Sandy and Cindy attack (if they listened) and EE went down in about 10 minutes for me. My Yuna only has:

9800 hp
Nirvana CW
90 Strength
120 Magic/Def
55 Evasion
etc.

Okay, now I need to know something. Neslug, but don't stop there just yet, please!!!!

When I fight Neslug he goes into his shell within a matter of a minute or so. I take out around 1,200,000 hp very quickly. The only thing I don't have is Wakka's or Kimarhi's CW, but everyone else I have. The main problem I am encountering is not that I can't survive the fight, but that I can't inflict enough damage.

THIS IS WHY!! I think it's a glitch, because every Regen turn Neslug has, he gains 276,800 hp or 353,700 hp, NOT, 27,680, or 100, or 33,000. He gains almost 300,000 and sometimes 400,000 hp each turn I hit him. Even if I my Ultima Doublecast is perfect at 99,999 each time, it still isn't enough to do any damage. What is going on? My friend's game doesn't do that, he just recovers 100, 16,000 ish, and then 33,000 ish. But here, mine recovers nearly half a MILLION hp each turn!! I can't do enough damage for the life of me. After about 4 turns of trying to hit him, he comes right back out of his shell, and I start all over again.

Cruise Control
10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Reflect?

rubah
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
like Ironclad, there just isn't really any super fast way to kill Earth Eater. This is mostly because his flare counter attack takes SO FREAKING LONG BUT AT LEAST IT"S NOT ULTIMA BECAUSE GOOD LORD THAT IS VERY LONG.

Ahem.

FIXED.

Are you implying that Earth Eater casts Ultima off of his reflect-enhanced posterior as a counter attack?

Because that's simply not true, if only for the fact that the Ultima would pierce his reflect:]

Or are you just unschooled in grammar? Ultima cannot be very long because it is not in this scenario, therefore we say it would be. But it isn't. You dig? ^_^

Tavrobel
10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Help help help.

Okay, now I need to know something. Neslug, but don't stop there just yet, please!!!!

When I fight Neslug he goes into his shell within a matter of a minute or so. I take out around 1,200,000 hp very quickly. The only thing I don't have is Wakka's or Kimarhi's CW, but everyone else I have. The main problem I am encountering is not that I can't survive the fight, but that I can't inflict enough damage.

THIS IS WHY!! I think it's a glitch, because every Regen turn Neslug has, he gains 276,800 hp or 353,700 hp, NOT, 27,680, or 100, or 33,000. He gains almost 300,000 and sometimes 400,000 hp each turn I hit him. Even if I my Ultima Doublecast is perfect at 99,999 each time, it still isn't enough to do any damage. What is going on? My friend's game doesn't do that, he just recovers 100, 16,000 ish, and then 33,000 ish. But here, mine recovers nearly half a MILLION hp each turn!! I can't do enough damage for the life of me. After about 4 turns of trying to hit him, he comes right back out of his shell, and I start all over again.

No, Regen works so that it heals random percantages of a character's HP. Because Neslug has alot of HP, and therefore, if HP is healed percentage-wise, then it would simply heal more. However, I think you misreading the numbers, because Regen doesn't heal that much. The game's system only accounts for percentages of fifteen or less, and Neslug cannot heal that much, because his second form only has 700000 HP (1.4 Million if you include optimal Regen).

Ahem.

FIXED.

Are you implying that Earth Eater casts Ultima off of his reflect-enhanced posterior as a counter attack?

Because that's simply not true, if only for the fact that the Ultima would pierce his reflect:]

Or are you just unschooled in grammar? Ultima cannot be very long because it is not in this scenario, therefore we say it would be. But it isn't. You dig? ^_^

N0, I'm 1mplying tht teh speel Ultymah is teh lungust an1ma7ed sp33l evar, n00b. I r teh has bst grammer! Eye em al5o in5ulted that u theenk so luwlee of me, n thet i are imc0mpet3nt and bl1nd with r3g4rds 2 FFX end gr4mm4r.

I'm a bit insulted that you would believe that I would intentionally mislead someone when it comes to gaming. If I had not earned your respect by now, I would have thought that at least I earned your toleration. I guess not.

Back to the drawing board.

Ohh, and by the way, with that bolded "is" and "fixed" I am satirizing your uppercase rant about how Ultima would be very painful to watch due to its long animation time. Someone needs to fight the Jumbo Flan, ohh, say, I don't know, twenty six more times? The next step would be to say everything in bold. Comprendiste?

Cruise Control
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
rubah=pwned

rubah
10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
k, grammar error then

No, you don't have any clue what you're talking about, you're just being dumb because you like to be argumentative :]

I was not saying that you were wrong about ultima's spell animation length. If you'll notice, I had said the very same thing. The only thing is, mr. earth eater doesn't use it as a counter attack.

Cruise Control
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
I feel ignored, can you use reflect to nullify his regen?

Tavrobel
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Check the edit; my original post was what I originally thought when I saw your post. I had to re-read your post again to see that you clearly did not understand, if perhaps it were for my inability to explain it correctly.

No, you can't null his Regen, since it is considered a part of his armor (if you want to meta-precise).

EDIT: WTFAKU? Dumb by argument? Forget what my new edit says, I take it back. I clearly cannot talk to you or convince you of anything, since you will do nothing to believe or find legitimacy in my words. You know what? If you find me so argumentative, then I will leave this discussion, and not contribute in any way.

Cruise Control
10-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Wait, what. xD I don't disagree, I've just never fought Earth Eater, so I don't know. Pardon me for not understanding your noob impression.

Tavrobel
10-17-2006, 10:17 PM
The first and third paragraph are not directed at you.

The Earth Eater doesn't have the ability to Regen (Earth Eater has an undispellable Auto-Reflect when knocked down, and counters with Flare when attacked in that position), but Neslug does have Regen (which was what I was replying to in the first part of my post earlier).

ValiantKnight
10-17-2006, 10:42 PM
the problem is the word That.

does that refer to EE using Ultima instead of Flare
or does that refer to the spell ultima in general.

Ultima in general = IS
EE using Ultima as counter = would be

? or am I missing something.

farplaner
10-18-2006, 05:36 AM
I'm not going to get involved in all of the "Jerry Springer show" going on, but as far as the EE battle:

I have auto-haste on everybody, which can be easily replaced by hastega after "revivation" from megaton punch.

then I use attack reels (max-12 hits at 255 strength, which does about 3 x max damage <near 300,000>) as soon as I get the chance. Then I "Entrust" to Wakka, and after attacking in-between more "Attack Reels", I'm done in a couple of turns. I wouldn't waste time "Blitz Acing" as really only does something like 1.5 X max damage. With a maxed Wakka you get as much bang for the buck as is possible, with fewer counter-flares.

Still, it will take mucho tim-o to stock up on those fortune spheres...

Shin Gouken
10-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm not going to get involved in all of the "Jerry Springer show" going on, but as far as the EE battle:

I have auto-haste on everybody, which can be easily replaced by hastega after "revivation" from megaton punch.

then I use attack reels (max-12 hits at 255 strength, which does about 3 x max damage <near 300,000>) as soon as I get the chance. Then I "Entrust" to Wakka, and after attacking in-between more "Attack Reels", I'm done in a couple of turns. I wouldn't waste time "Blitz Acing" as really only does something like 1.5 X max damage. With a maxed Wakka you get as much bang for the buck as is possible, with fewer counter-flares.

Blitz ace hits 8 times at about 27000 damage and a final blow of 99999 damage. so hits for more damage than 3 turns of quick hits.

I thought attack reels hit 14 times but maybe im wrong... its hard to count. Even so 12 hits of about 45000 damage is 5 and a bit turns of quick hits (bout 540000).

farplaner
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Blitz ace hits 8 times at about 27000 damage and a final blow of 99999 damage. so hits for more damage than 3 turns of quick hits.

I thought attack reels hit 14 times but maybe im wrong... its hard to count. Even so 12 hits of about 45000 damage is 5 and a bit turns of quick hits (bout 540000).

You're right. I miscalculated Blitz Ace, but, like you confirmed, attack reels does more damage than blitz ace, but:

blitz ace takes a little longer, if I'm not mistaken, so two attack reels and a couple of attacks should do the job,

but: there is more than one way to skin a cat....I should know....I'm like the sleepwalkers from stephen king's movie, I've got skinned cats hanging all over my yard! :eek:

!!!I AM MEGA-DINGO!!!
10-19-2006, 05:41 AM
i have 255 luck for yuna and wakka and 100 for tidus and i say it was easy killing earth eater at first i used animas pain and later jsut started slamming it with attacl reels

Shin Gouken
10-21-2006, 06:42 AM
i have 255 luck for yuna and wakka and 100 for tidus and i say it was easy killing earth eater at first i used animas pain and later jsut started slamming it with attacl reels

i have 255 luck for wakka tidus yuna and rikku now. I set my overdrive mode to ally (i think...where it charges on your characters turn) and just skipped turns to charge the gauge up quick. I eventually stopped usin blitz ace and just started firing attack reels over and over :)

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-21-2006, 08:12 AM
No, Regen works so that it heals random percantages of a character's HP. Because Neslug has alot of HP, and therefore, if HP is healed percentage-wise, then it would simply heal more. However, I think you misreading the numbers, because Regen doesn't heal that much. The game's system only accounts for percentages of fifteen or less, and Neslug cannot heal that much, because his second form only has 700000 HP (1.4 Million if you include optimal Regen).

Wish I was seeing things wrong, or else I'd be just fine. But I'll take a screen shot of him Regening, and it says 276,000 hp, no extra zeros. I personally just think it's a glitch, but what a crappy place to glitch out on me.

Yuna's Doublecast does about 65,000 hp while Lulu's does around 45,000. Rikku's doublecast on Ultima also does close to 70,000 hp. So, if he Regen's normally like the other games I've played, I'd so be done.

cally777
12-05-2006, 06:03 AM
I hope this isn't considered very bad form to suggest but:

Seriously I would try using yojimbo. If you can build a good relationship with him (see the FAQs on this) then you can kill Eartheater in a short time with minimal effort.

Simply wait for yojimbo to do zanmato (Use Yuna's Great Summons to make sure he has full over-drive as this will seriously increase the chances). You can afford to pay him a decent sum (say between 5-15,000 gil) because you can often loot earth eater for items worth 50k, sometimes even 150k gil (or just keep the triple overdrive/auto-potion 3 slots if you like). Paying him more will increase the chances of zanmato and probably save you time and ultimately earn more gil.

If he loses, (doesn't do zanmato) don't save the game (it will screw up your relationship with him). Just reset and try again. If you're on the right lines, he will win roughly 50% of the time. Get Yuna's overdrive up again (that triple overdrive will help!), rinse and repeat.

The only downside is you will never get an overkill, therefore only I fortune sphere. But without a long and painful battle, and no need to have an elite party.

Obviously I would not generally recommend this approach because it makes the whole monster arena pointless. But to get the extremely rare and important fortune spheres surely it makes sense. Why knock yourself out? ;)

ValiantKnight
12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Mostly in making this topic... which has been a while since bumped... I was wanting to learn why EE did not take 99k per hit from Blitz Ace even after trying to remove all defense from him.

As stated, I have no problem killing him at all.. it just merely takes 3-5 minutes to do so(ok maybe less but it seems a while with Flare).
Yojimbo is a bit too unreliable for anything continual I would think.. but I'm not sure, and I don't really have an endless supply of money yet... just 2million.

But thanks for the advice on using him.
Unless I obtain Wakka's Celestial, it isn't really possible to get much faster. Y would work a few times, but I have doubts about having enough money to use him 50+ times to get spheres for my main team.

Tavrobel
12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Mostly in making this topic... which has been a while since bumped... I was wanting to learn why EE did not take 99k per hit from Blitz Ace even after trying to remove all defense from him.

Unless I obtain Wakka's Celestial, it isn't really possible to get much faster. Y would work a few times, but I have doubts about having enough money to use him 50+ times to get spheres for my main team.

Unlike other Overdrives involving Weapon attack and target Defense, Blitz Ace does not retain the Celestial Weapon ability to ignore target Defense. In fact, equipping a hand-crafted Excalibur will do roughtly the same damage as Caladbolg. The World Champion however, ignores Defense during Overdrives.

I hope this isn't considered very bad form to suggest but:

Seriously I would try using yojimbo. If you can build a good relationship with him (see the FAQs on this) then you can kill Eartheater in a short time with minimal effort.

You can afford to pay him a decent sum (say between 5-15,000 gil) because you can often loot earth eater for items worth 50k, sometimes even 150k gil (or just keep the triple overdrive/auto-potion 3 slots if you like).

The only downside is you will never get an overkill, therefore only I fortune sphere. But without a long and painful battle, and no need to have an elite party.

Obviously I would not generally recommend this approach because it makes the whole monster arena pointless. But to get the extremely rare and important fortune spheres surely it makes sense. Why knock yourself out? ;)

Yes, it is considered VERY bad form to suggest Zanmato. Not because it is cheating. Not because it is prohibitively expensive in the NA/Jap versions. Not because it kills everything instantly and is therefore considered cheating.

But because it costs LESS in the PAL version. And Americans will not stand while Europe gets the better end of the deal. Curses, curses I reap upon you and your children, you ill-gotten cheap Zanmato-ers! You and your accursed Ribbon; I indeed I hope you choke on that brightly coloured cloth that happens to be attached to your Armor!

And also, because knocking yourself out is fun. Have you SEEN a party die by Poison/Confusion/Berserk? Elite parties show dedication. It takes extreme button pressing skills to do that kind of stuff. Man, you gotta sit in front of a TV for 16 years before you can even attempt to hit that button hard enough. If your thumb isn't chapped, bleeding, and about to be amputated because of gangrene, that's not dedication.

Wish I was seeing things wrong, or else I'd be just fine. But I'll take a screen shot of him Regening, and it says 276,000 hp, no extra zeros. I personally just think it's a glitch, but what a crappy place to glitch out on me.

Yuna's Doublecast does about 65,000 hp while Lulu's does around 45,000. Rikku's doublecast on Ultima also does close to 70,000 hp. So, if he Regen's normally like the other games I've played, I'd so be done.

And Miss Car, I have a feeling that you need to start doing more damage (try 99999). Whether or not you are misreading, or not actually doing enough damage, it irrelevant. Most anti-Arena stuff is based on the assumption that one can do 99999 (125+Celestial for normal attacks, 225+ Magic for Ultima/Flare).

TheSpoonyBard
12-05-2006, 08:42 PM
The World Champion however, ignores Defense during Overdrives.
No it doesn't. Attack Reels can't go Critical either, which means Armour Break before hand is very useful.

Tavrobel
12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm fairly sure it does ignore Defense.

Never said anything about Attack Reels doing Criticals.

Simen
12-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Attack Reels, if you get all 12 hits, is really great!

TheSpoonyBard
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
All Overdrives ignore the CW's special attributes. The critical thing was completely separate. Just added that in to show Armour Break is useful before using Overdrives.

ValiantKnight
12-05-2006, 11:30 PM
But armor break... for all intents and purposes... be it Auron's Overdrive or regular armor break doesn't work on EE, correct?

Tidus has no problem going over to EE with Blitz Ace and giving out 13k/26k hits and ending in a 99999 shot. But at best that's 300k? I've activated a few more str + 4 spheres, althought he was already maxed at 255... and it still did the same 13/26.

Wakka's Attack Reels would be 99999x12 for over a million?

perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet and play blitzball...

*reminds self to buy PAL console and games from now on..*

cally777
12-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Yes, it is considered VERY bad form to suggest Zanmato. Not because it is cheating. Not because it is prohibitively expensive in the NA/Jap versions. Not because it kills everything instantly and is therefore considered cheating.

But because it costs LESS in the PAL version. And Americans will not stand while Europe gets the better end of the deal. Curses, curses I reap upon you and your children, you ill-gotten cheap Zanmato-ers! You and your accursed Ribbon; I indeed I hope you choke on that brightly coloured cloth that happens to be attached to your Armor!

And also, because knocking yourself out is fun. Have you SEEN a party die by Poison/Confusion/Berserk? Elite parties show dedication. It takes extreme button pressing skills to do that kind of stuff. Man, you gotta sit in front of a TV for 16 years before you can even attempt to hit that button hard enough. If your thumb isn't chapped, bleeding, and about to be amputated because of gangrene, that's not dedication.Apologies to you benighted people the other side of the pond. I forgot that your Yojimbo is so inferior to ours. Truly you are Belgemine to our Yuna. Just tell us "Stop that is enough!" and we will quit bugging you!

I have indeed seen several parties die unpleasantly, but I try to learn from my mistakes, keep my nose clean and my first strike weapons handy. I have also fought seemingly endless arena battles in which I wished I had cheated and checked the bosses hps beforehand, wondering when they were going to die. Is that enough suffering for you? My thumb nails remain nicely manicured, but I think I've logged a fair number of game hours nonetheless.

Still at the end of the day its entertainment, innit? Seeing the head of an apparently invincible fiend fly off is one of life's pleasures, if not indulged in too often. And I did point out the dangers of that overindulgence.

As stated, I have no problem killing him at all.. it just merely takes 3-5 minutes to do so(ok maybe less but it seems a while with Flare).
Yojimbo is a bit too unreliable for anything continual I would think.. but I'm not sure, and I don't really have an endless supply of money yet... just 2million.
I think you're probably ok as you are then. Taking into account the lack of overkills, I doubt if using Yojimbo is going to be faster/easier in your case. Maybe more stylish though.