PDA

View Full Version : I was going to go emo

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I mean I was feeling very sorry for myself yesturday and thought I may go emo. I mean I have the glasses already, so I guess Im almost there.

What to you makes a emo emo? The music? Fashion?

Araciel
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
umm....a person who considers THEMSELF emo?? i dunno...i think that episode of southpark with the goth kids hit it on the head pretty well for me

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
What makes someone elmo? Well I think it's a mix of fashion and music.

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
What sort of bands do emo's listen to? Im really curious.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't have anyproblems with emo people. Anyway, i'd say an emo was a person who listens to emo music and dresses like an emo. Anyother problems they have is thier problem not mine so i'm not interested.

Edit: Emo's listen to My Chemical Romance, AFI, Greenday, Bullet For My Valintine bands like that.

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Well Ive been a GreenDay fan for years. Ive got a bid on a band called Tokyo Rose. Heard they were emo. I also listen to Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco.

I personally can see myself as emo. I doubt the fashion would suit me though.

Mirage
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't have anyproblems with emo people. Anyway, i'd say an emo was a person who listens to emo music and dresses like an emo. Anyother problems they have is thier problem not mine so i'm not interested.

Edit: Emo's listen to My Chemical Romance, AFI, Greenday, Bullet For My Valintine bands like that.

Oh, and I thought i was emo. Oh well ;_;.

Araciel
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
greenday??

they do??

WTF

i hope they only like new greenday

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Emo's listen to My Chemical Romance, AFI, Greenday, Bullet For My Valintine bands like that.

Wow, I was emo and didn't even know it!

Craig
10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd say to be Emo you need some sort of mixture of the following:

The music.

The hair and clothing.

Generally being a grumpy person and acting like you have something to be depressed about when you don't.

ℓσ¢кнαятαиgєℓ
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
not all emos are grummy and down my mate danielle she turning emo and goth its a mix and im not around she kinda down but she has a reason but when i am we have fun and im not emo

Araciel
10-16-2006, 01:03 PM
.....oh it says 'LockhartAngel' ...ow my eyes

i think emo, just like all the different classifications of people who are 'not mainstream' will always be subjective.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 01:08 PM
greenday??

they do??

WTF

i hope they only like new greenday

Ballad of broken dreams and thier songs like that. The old stuff is too happy they think, thats what my mate who is an emo said to me.

So,
Dookie and Warning are safe from being called emo albums.

ℓσ¢кнαятαиgєℓ
10-16-2006, 01:08 PM
i wanted to turn emo once, but theres this boy and he took it too seriously and started to slit his wrists and then i had the idea that was what emos do, but really emos dont do that well... not all of them

Araciel
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Ballad of broken dreams and thier songs like that. The old stuff is too happy they think, thats what my mate who is an emo said to me.

So,
Dookie and Warning are safe from being called emo albums.

hah ok good. boulevard of broken dreams has some good stuff on it....greenday kinda reminds me of a newer bad religion because their sound has become more and more polished over the years.

i just don't want anyone thinkin i'm 'emo'

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Like I was saying to Stoner, I feel as though I dont belong cause I dont follow a certain style like emo, goth, trendy, chav, etc. Im just me and that kinda does bug me. Im not a massive fan of Greendays latest stuff, prefer their old albums.

Someone said Snow Patrol are emo, I thought they were indie.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Snow Patrol arn't emo, you are correct they are indie. Thats like saying The Mars Volta is emo!:lol:

ℓσ¢кнαятαиgєℓ
10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
i thought snow patrol was indie too im not the only one lol:)

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Ive heard of Mars Volta, but not heard anything by them.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 01:45 PM

They are incredibly good musicians that play weird, crazy indie stuff. Its class!! They are blatent stoners. lol. Anyway, another emo band is Linkin' Park, also Papa Roach.

Shaun
10-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh man. "Go emo." Jesus Christ. What happened to the individual?

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 01:49 PM
havent listened to Papa Roach or Linkin Park since I was in high school. I got outbidded on a "Death Cab for Cutie" album. Thats annoyed me!

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I am Stoner, you make me sound more emo with every post you make!

Xander
10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Like I was saying to Stoner, I feel as though I dont belong cause I dont follow a certain style like emo, goth, trendy, chav, etc. Im just me and that kinda does bug me.

I think this is kinda silly (no offence) but now culture is making you feel like you have to fit into one of those categories? Rather than being you, and therefore probably being more unique than any of those labels.

And now trying to decide whether the music you listen to makes you emo, or whether you need to listen to more emo bands in order to become emo, or perhaps your music fits another label better.

Really just reading this entire thread through almost makes me laugh, it's so silly and just generalizes people SO much. Perhaps I'm being naive or not respecting the whole emo thing, but the thought that an "emo" would strictly never listen to Dookie is funny, and you're making it sound like a religion...

Just be yourself, listen to the music you like, wear the clothes you like, and don't think you have to become part of some social label. I mean sure if you like "emo" style, wear some, but god, don't limit the music you listen to based on the label you give yourself.

(Sorry but this is the way I see the whole thing :p )

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 02:17 PM
but the thought that an "emo" would strictly never listen to Dookie is funny, and you're making it sound like a religion...

I can only go by what emo's tell me mate, personly I don't give a fuck about social groups, all of them, just sheep following the flock.

bipper
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
EMOs are basically self obsessive with thier emotions to the point of self deterioration. They are an emotional addict. Natruraly, emo music will then depend on the individual. As for emo-pop trends, I remeber good charlette, and... ugh.. yeah - that is all I remember being very emo :D There are a ton, but I am drawing a mega blank atm. So yeah - if someone likes crying and listening to mozart, I would call mozart thier emo outlet, as strange as it might be.

Coronet
10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Emo in the silly sense defined as an overly emotional person, usually wearing stuff from Hot Topic who thinks their life is a living tragedy. Poetry and photo/weblogs are also a necessity. :)

Black Mage FF1
10-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I Am Stoner, none of those bands that you listed are emo.

theundeadhero
10-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Emo is a personality and very different than Goth/"Freak".

Creeps.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Hahaha, yea they are dude, greenday now are emotional pop-rock, same thing with linkin' park and Papa Roach. The whole Emo genre of music is emotional music, so I was right, weither the emo band be in the popular culture genre or the heavy metal genre, if thier music is emotional it is emo.

Xander
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM
What makes someone elmo? Well I think it's a mix of fashion and music.

Hehe, elmo. xD

Rye
10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
This thread made me die a little inside.

Snow Patrol is not emo. Death Cab For Cutie is not emo. They're indie.

Black Mage FF1
10-16-2006, 10:05 PM

Hahaha, yea they are dude, greenday now are emotional pop-rock, same thing with linkin' park and Papa Roach. The whole Emo genre of music is emotional music, so I was right, weither the emo band be in the popular culture genre or the heavy metal genre, if thier music is emotional it is emo.

90% of the bands out there in the world have some type of emotion in their songs. So by your logic all those bands are emo. Right, I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will just leave it at that.

Xander
10-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't think anyone really has the right to say they know what a band's genre is (or at least that they know it and therefore it's correct!), up to the band if you ask me... some people think death cab is emo, some don't , some think green day is, some don't. I think barely anyone even knows what "emo" means anymore. If you say if music is "emotional" it is emo, well all music is emo then. Being depressed/whining is not the only form of emotion. Happiness is an emotion, omg. Happy emos! Really, this thread, and emo is not making much more sense to me yet. :p

Skarr
10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
You're only emo if you beleive that in your heart of hearts. But c'mon guys leave the bands outta this. >_< Besides, be yourself. Fudge the judgemental ignorants.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
90% of the bands out there in the world have some type of emotion in their songs. So by your logic all those bands are emo. Right, I can see that you have no idea what you are talking about. So I will just leave it at that.

Ohhhhh boy, you have picked the wrong person to debate about music with buddy.

What you say is correct, I will make it clearer then, depressed emotion, also its 71% as the other 39% that makes up Popular Culture music has been created purly for marketing and money perpouses, its a known fact. I learned it in sound engineering and music technology college. Also, thier are all different kinds of emotional peices that would count as being emo even though they are not, i.e. The Verve - The Drugs Dont Work is an emo song mainly because it has emotional lyrics but yet the verve are indie. Damn this is hard to explaine. Hold on, i'll get all my old college books and be back in a second.

Skarr
10-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Ohhhhh boy, you have picked the wrong person to debate about music with buddy.

What you say is correct, I will make it clearer then, depressed emotion, also its 71% as the other 39% that makes up Popular Culture music has been created purly for marketing and money perpouses, its a known fact. I learned it in sound engineering and music technology college. Also, thier are all different kinds of emotional peices that would count as being emo even though they are not, i.e. The Verve - The Drugs Dont Work is an emo song mainly because it has emotional lyrics but yet the verve are indie. Damn this is hard to explaine. Hold on, i'll get all my old college books and be back in a second.

Dude you're right. Get over it. ^.^; We all know that at least 60% of teens are into goth and emo themed stuff-including music. There's nothing to get all worked up about. It's all marketing, sign bands that fit in with what the consumers wants.

Plus the wide variety of bands offers everyone something to enjoy. I'm sick of the whole emo talk, if someone shows emotion, nothings wrong. Somethings wrong when that fucker does the whole goth thing to follow fashion or to vent their extreme emotional depressed life-southpark cleared it all up dudes.

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Dude you're right. Get over it. ^.^;

Yea, I see your point, sorry man.

Madame Adequate
10-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Being emo makes you emo. Listening to emo music doesn't, or Rye would be the emoest girl alive.

And yeah, whatever semantics about the language you want to get into, emo applies to a specific musical genre. It's a bit vague sometimes and does cross over with indie, especially (Mainly because indie used to be a status, not a genre), but yeah.

Edit: If you want to listen to some real emo, get a hold of some Indian Summer or Antioch Arrow. Maybe some Christie Front Drive and Sunny Day Real Estate for lighter stuff. Dag Nasty is always awesome, although they're more of a crossover.

The New Kid
10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Don't forget Chamberlain, Fireside, and Texas Is The Reason.

Ryth
10-17-2006, 04:28 AM
To be emo you must accept yourself as part of the culture. If you happen to listen to emo music and wear clothes normally associated with the subculture, you're not emo, you're just that way. Whatever.

Emo music is always keeping in the theme of an unhappy or melancholy attitude or being in a situation that would make one so. Emo also has it's own sound (not all music is emo for it doesn't keep some of this sound) influenced by hardcore punk (emo I believe has influenced genres such as screamo, pop-punk, and post-hardcore, as well as others). Emo is melodramatic and overly emotional and the misconception is that it is associated with self-harm. This idea is used a lot, but is not a required theme of emo music.

Bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is The Reason had put forth an indie rock style to Emo music, that's why they're occasionally confused (Death Cab For Cutie is not emo).

Emo has apparently made the effect that any emotion means you're emo. That's sad because not only is it is trivializing a condition, depression, but it makes everything else have to heartless or shallow or be deemed emo. Emo is sad (edit: xD).

I'm sure I'm making no sense. Regardless, some emo bands are as follows:

Taking Back Sunday
Rites Of Spring
Embrace
One Last Wish
Beefeater
Gray Matter
Fire Party
Moss Icon
Hawthorne Heights
Jimmy Eat World
AFI
Panic! At The Disco

And My Chemical Romance as an emo band I believe is heavily disputed, but I think it is post-hardcore. So emo influences are certainly not invisible.

Also, I consider Gothica to be dead. Most Goths I know can't even tell me what Romanticism or neo-romanticism is.

Anyway, social stereotypes suck, up with the Individual. Eventually the kids will grow out of this style, like all kids do.

Xander
10-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Emo music is always keeping in the theme of an unhappy or melancholy attitude or being in a situation that would make one so.

I don't actually notice this with panic! at the disco's songs, they always seemed fairly happy to me, when I listened to them it was cos they made me dance. Can someone explain some lyrics that actually make p!atd emo? For example "there's a good reason these tables are numbered honey.." sounds like a confident song to me about this guy kinda coming back at his ex or something like that.

"I'm the new cancer, never looked better, you can't stand it.
Because you say so under your breath.
You're reading lips "When did he get all confident?"

I never thought any of the songs sounded sad! So that, is why, I don't get emo X_X

Rostum
10-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Is Placebo an emo band? They have some pretty depressive songs, and I'd never consider myself to be emo, but I do really like their music.

Edit: 93.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Ryth
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Is Placebo an emo band? They have some pretty depressive songs, and I'd never consider myself to be emo, but I do really like their music.

Edit: 93.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Placebo is an alternative rock band. I don't think it shares any relation to the emo genre.

As for P!ATD, I don't know. Some people think it emo, some alternative. I never heard that song before, for I can't stand P!ATD. I mostly heard it was emo though.

GooeyToast
10-17-2006, 09:10 PM

They are incredibly good musicians that play weird, crazy indie stuff. Its class!! They are blatent stoners. lol. Anyway, another emo band is Linkin' Park, also Papa Roach.

Actually, TMV are on a major record label. So they aren't techinally indie. And they stopped doing drugs after their sound manipulator died. So they're not stoners.

Anyways, to me emo is more about the fashion, hair, and attitude than it is the music, though these things all seem to coincide with emos. I personally know quite a few kids with emo-ish fashion and hair that listen to good and "non-emo" music.