PDA

View Full Version : Awake for very long periods...

Peter_20
10-16-2006, 02:36 PM
3:38 PM, Swedish time

I've been awake for 40 hours now, and I'm gonna stay awake this night also.
Lately I've found myself sitting and singing nonsense and laughing at everything, and it's such a nice feeling - kinda like being drunk without any alcohol being involved. :)

Do you ever do this stuff? :cool:
Lalala...

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Last time I stayed up for 2 days and that was after my first and last GreenDay concert. I was in such a buzz and so awake! It was funny.

Roto13
10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
That's not healthy. Though, depending no what time they tell me I have to be at work tomorrow, I might not get the chance to sleep tonight.

Dreddz
10-16-2006, 03:03 PM
I always sleep, always.

Araciel
10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
i have gone one night without sleep and it's a horrid experience. your body isn't supposed to weather such torment so i will never do it again...it's like missing a meal or watching american idol; if you do it once, you know you probably shouldn't do it again

Xaven
10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Psh... "un-healthy".

i have gone one night without sleep and it's a horrid experience. your body isn't supposed to weather such torment so i will never do it again...it's like missing a meal or watching american idol; if you do it once, you know you probably shouldn't do it again
Missing a meal is easy and goes unnoticed after the usual meal-time has passed. :D

The longest I've ever stayed up was some 38 hours for my friend's birthday party. It was easy once the sun came up. :D

Christmas
10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Sometimes I have to keep watch at night and carry on with maintenance of the ship the next day and this routine sometimes goes on for a day or two without me realizing it. :(

Denmark
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I think I've gone something like 27 hours without sleep, and at the end I was hallucinating and whatnot. I probably could have stayed up longer with the assistance of caffeine, but I really felt like sleeping more than anything else by that point.

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Sometimes I get two hours' sleep when I have college the next day.

Levian
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Nah, I'm rarely awake for long, my body odour knocks me out cold every now and then.

Other than that, I have a pretty regular sleeping pattern.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Staying awake for that long can actually kill you. Ususally though, your body shuts down automatically and gets the sleep it needs. I'd not suggest doing that.

I've been awake for 40 ish hours before, and I admit that it was hard to get to sleep. But, when I did, I was out for almost 18 hours and missed most of the next day.

Rainecloud
10-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I stayed up 'till 2:45 am once.

Nowadays, I don't do such irresponsible things. :p

Vincent, Thunder God
10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I've actually stayed up all day, all of the next night, and all of the next day, which I would imagine would have been over 30 hours. It's all due to sleep problems. I can't sleep all night, then have to stay up the whole next day to ensure that I don't screw up my whole schedule and sleep cycle. Not reccomended to anyone, I can tell you, but it's not like I have a choice. It's happened several times.

sephirothishere
10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
the most amount of hours i have spent awake consecutivly is.....just above 72....

Iceglow
10-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I suffer with bouts of insomina not the weak type that allows you a couple of poor quality hours a night but the true type that stops me from sleeping at all. I wouldn't take drugs to stop it however as it gives me these really brilliant adrenaline rushes (well I use the term rush but its more a slow burning release) that keep me really happy and bouncy untill my body drains itself of adrenaline which allows me to sleep again. I actually really enjoy my bouts and like most Bi-polar depressives I would never stop suffering it if I could the highs are just too great.

Of course my body has to pay for these highs however and some of the payments I don't mind. I burn thousands upon thousands of calories more a day than usual which although means I am very hungry all the time as I have a pretty healthy balanced diet I also get to shed the stored unused calories so I go down in weight. The aches in my body however (general daily movement after about 23 hours or more without good lying down sleep hurts you a bit but after 3 or so days it crucifys you. my eyes become blood shot and sore not to mention unbearably dry. Lastly if the bout continues for more than 7 days I can start actualyl hallucinating in public which might just cause problems with work :D

Mitch
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
No matter how hard I try, I always drop dead (sleep) after abour 24 hours.

ambermoon12
10-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Staying awake for that long can actually kill you. Ususally though, your body shuts down automatically and gets the sleep it needs. I'd not suggest doing that.

I've been awake for 40 ish hours before, and I admit that it was hard to get to sleep. But, when I did, I was out for almost 18 hours and missed most of the next day.I was awake for three days once, and as I walked down the sidewalk, it did feel like I was hallucinating; but that was when I was psychotic; I'm on meds now and stable, but still insomniac, I sleep for two or three hours at a time and then I wake up again, sometimes I have crazy dreams, or just a feeling that my head is going to explode; then when I wake up, I HAVE to have coffee, absolutely. To settle the bad heebie jeebies down. It sounds contradictory, but it helps really.;)

Look, I agree that one should get six to eight hours of resful REM sleep a night, deep sleep, to rest your brain and your body, your muscles, for the next day.

Hey, use the edit button instead of posting twice in a row! -kikimm

Vincent, Thunder God
10-17-2006, 12:16 AM
I suffer with bouts of insomina not the weak type that allows you a couple of poor quality hours a night but the true type that stops me from sleeping at all. I wouldn't take drugs to stop it however as it gives me these really brilliant adrenaline rushes (well I use the term rush but its more a slow burning release) that keep me really happy and bouncy untill my body drains itself of adrenaline which allows me to sleep again. I actually really enjoy my bouts and like most Bi-polar depressives I would never stop suffering it if I could the highs are just too great.

Of course my body has to pay for these highs however and some of the payments I don't mind. I burn thousands upon thousands of calories more a day than usual which although means I am very hungry all the time as I have a pretty healthy balanced diet I also get to shed the stored unused calories so I go down in weight. The aches in my body however (general daily movement after about 23 hours or more without good lying down sleep hurts you a bit but after 3 or so days it crucifys you. my eyes become blood shot and sore not to mention unbearably dry. Lastly if the bout continues for more than 7 days I can start actualyl hallucinating in public which might just cause problems with work :D

You know that you're really pushing it, right? I'm saying this out of concern, not rudeness. I have mood variation and insomnia myself (though my insonmia is occasional and fairly minor, and I'm on medication for my moods).

Sleep is incredibly important to good moods, and also you can become depressed with this level of highs. I suggest you talk to your doctor about sleep meds, or go see a sleep doctor, and, if you truly have bipolar (which I was diagnosed with orginally; not sure if it's a misdiagnosis) not medicating for that is nothing short of ridiculous. Which makes me beleive that you probably don't have bipolar; otherwise after these so-called highs you would be very depressed.

The tolls this is taking on your body may well lead you to an early death. I'm no doctor; but the symptoms you are having are dangerous, mentally and physichally. You should seek help right now.

rubah
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't think I've ever been awake for 24 hours straight.

Iceglow
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Re: Vincent thunder god:

You're right I am not a Bi-polar depression sufferer I merely likend the highs to the ones experienced by a Bi-polar person. I do get a bit more down when not on one of these highs but no more than any other random healthy person who gets 6 hours a night. As for sleeping tablets, I tried them once and I was knocked out by them for 3 days and that was on one! I didn't eat for 2 days or drink anything because no one could wake me. When I eventually woke up my mom offered to cook for me and had to re-awake me before I actually ate the meal (it was something on toast so not much cooking time) so in the end I decided against medicating my insomina. The bouts are rare and even rarer do they last more than a week. I have been on one currently since last weds but have managed to squeeze a few hours of sleep in to it (about 7 - 10 hours) and I can actually now feel that the high is starting to die down to normal (starting to exhibit signs of tiredness, yawning and such). These bouts I can live with, they don't endanger my job or social life neither are they life threatening (if I thought there was any real danger, IE. 6th day and no signs of slowing up I would of course seek medical attention) so I figure rather be up for 3 - 6 days and hyper and happy than asleep for 2 - 4 days and down when eventually awoken.

Jebus
10-17-2006, 12:30 AM
I remember reading a story awhile ago about a radio announcer who stayed up for a week or two straight, and ended up going clinically insane because of it.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Re: Vincent thunder god:

You're right I am not a Bi-polar depression sufferer I merely likend the highs to the ones experienced by a Bi-polar person. I do get a bit more down when not on one of these highs but no more than any other random healthy person who gets 6 hours a night. As for sleeping tablets, I tried them once and I was knocked out by them for 3 days and that was on one! I didn't eat for 2 days or drink anything because no one could wake me. When I eventually woke up my mom offered to cook for me and had to re-awake me before I actually ate the meal (it was something on toast so not much cooking time) so in the end I decided against medicating my insomina. The bouts are rare and even rarer do they last more than a week. I have been on one currently since last weds but have managed to squeeze a few hours of sleep in to it (about 7 - 10 hours) and I can actually now feel that the high is starting to die down to normal (starting to exhibit signs of tiredness, yawning and such). These bouts I can live with, they don't endanger my job or social life neither are they life threatening (if I thought there was any real danger, IE. 6th day and no signs of slowing up I would of course seek medical attention) so I figure rather be up for 3 - 6 days and hyper and happy than asleep for 2 - 4 days and down when eventually awoken.

I've tried some sleep meds. It's true, they are very strong. That's why it's better to start with a 5 mg tablet. The best one that I tried was Imovane. 5 mg is so tiny that it's half than the normally smallest pill, but you can get a doctor to give you a low dose prescription. It may help just enough to get you to sleep without having too much, and you only have to take it when the bouts come on.

Just a suggestion. I should stop pretending to be a doctor now. :D

Iceglow
10-17-2006, 12:40 AM
it takes 3 weeks to go clinically insane to an unrecoverable rate, it takes 4 weeks to kill someone (or so they say) however I know (a true insominac like me but actually worse) who was once up for 5 and a half weeks and whilst very messed up in the head with paranoia and other similar problems, they were alive and breathing last I saw of them but they were in a psych hospital for 4 months to recover from the paranoia apparently he had stopped taking the medication his doctor prescribed and therefore couldn't sleep. Turned out that a critical part of his brain function was wrong and his body simply didn't know how to shut down for sleep, AFAIK he is still pretty messed in the head and medicated to hell and all, he has to take psycho-suppressors and a sleeping tablet daily now.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-17-2006, 12:43 AM
That's the connection with sleep and mood. Sometimes people without normal mood problems can eventually reach insanity just from lack of sleep. That's why all of us have to try to get to sleep properly, especially those who have trouble getting to sleep. I had a bad night last night myself... luckily I got to bed eventually.

And I have had paranoia... it is hell. Absolute hell. Usually mine is brought about naturally by my brian at night, and not sleep problems. I hate it.

Evastio
10-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I've been awake for 40 hours now, and I'm gonna stay awake this night also.
Lately I've found myself sitting and singing nonsense and laughing at everything, and it's such a nice feeling - kinda like being drunk without any alcohol being involved. :)

Do you ever do this stuff? :cool:
Lalala...
No. That doesn't sound very healthy. :(

Iceglow
10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
To do it voluntarily isn't too healthy you're brain declares you need sleep for a reason and therefore anyone in a position where they force themselves to do this kind of stuff that I myself do not through choice should stop immediately and go sleep as and when needed. Why risk your health and sanity for being awake. Whatever you are doing can be done tomorrow and on the many days you will have after that.

Moon Rabbits
10-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Sober:

I stayed up for 4 days straight last summer. By the end of it I was very sick, felt like I was drunk, couldn't keep my eyes straight, and even began to have mild hallucinations (the walls seemed to be made of water, the floor was breathing, etc.)

Intoxicated:

I stayed up for two days high on ecstasy and marijuana, by the end of the second day I had a monster back ache, was seeing windows in the sides of McDonald's that didn't exist, experiencing severe anxiety, afraid I would be high for the rest of my life, the inside of my mouth was chewed to pieces, my jaw was clenched shut, and I was convinced a map to a sexual health clinic was a map to my destiny.

I don't recommend staying up for more than 18 hours to ANYONE.

Vermachtnis
10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Sometimes I get two hours' sleep when I have college the next day.

I've accually get more sleep in college, than in High School. Cause I accually fell the need to study and studing is boring and I fall asleep. Plus, if nothing is going on I'll usally take a nap during the day too. I sleep too much and staying up longer then 13 hours straight is like an accomplisement to me.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I've accually get more sleep in college, than in High School. Cause I accually fell the need to study and studing is boring and I fall asleep. Plus, if nothing is going on I'll usally take a nap during the day too. I sleep too much and staying up longer then 13 hours straight is like an accomplisement to me.

You are very lucky. I wish I was like that.

Lord Xehanort
10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
I suffer from insomnia, but never stay up for 40 hours... 23 hours is my longest.