PDA

View Full Version : Personal Challenges

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Alright, I know that some people are going to think what I am doing is extremely stupid... but I don't care. I am defeating what I hate by doing this: my eating disorder. I have gone for almost five days without food now. I'm the kind of person who, when determined to do something, will definitely do it. I'm pretty sure I've lost half a stone too through doing this so far. Don't try this yourselves though, kids.

So, what challenges (stupid or not) have you set yourself lately and have you stuck to them?

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
As in do you eat too much?

You arent defeating the underlying problem.

Denmark
10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
actually, I think what Shaun is doing will help him with will power and all that, so that he knows he can do other things besides eat. not that no food for five days is necessarily a good thing, but i understand the point.

let's see, challenges. I tried to not go on the internet for like 5 days in a row, and I went like 3 1/2 or 4. (this is with me at home and the internet at my disposal, I've done it before when I've been on vacation or something like that)

Xaven
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Whatever floats your boat, Shauna. :D

Right now, my personal challenge is to get up to being able to run two miles in about 16 minutes. Right now, we're running only one mile in marching band, and I usually get 9 minutes for time. :D That, and be able to do 100 pushups. A totally flat stomach wouldn't hurt either. :3 All of this by December 3rd (drum corps try-outs).

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:22 PM
The underlying problem is that I hate who and what I am. When I get depressed, I eat. Now I am never eating, depressed or not. Hey, I challenged my sister to a month of this to see how can lose the most weight (she's losing weight other ways) so I'm going to be going through a lot more of this torture.

I'm not that hungry. Just a constant acidic feeling in my stomach.

Edit: Bah, don't compare me to her, Xaven. I might just hold up the white flag to this whole user name issue and get a name change.

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Mate, really, how much of that weight you'll lose is going to be fat? Very little, itll be water, fluids and muscle mass.

You arent defeating anything, whats going to happen when you go back onto real food? Apart from not being able to stomach it and setting yourself up for problems, when you eventually can handle it you are going to go back to your old ways unless you address the underlying issue. I had the exact same problem as you when I was 17, I'm 20 now and changed it sensibly.

My own challange is to live life without the need to think twice about being healthy, mind and body. Sounds cheesy doesnt it? Its not a challange anymore, its just part of life for me. I moved away from where I have grown up for the past 20 years for a change of scene and to start a new life.

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I like your positive thinking attitude, Jimsour, but it isn't that simple for everybody. It's a very typical view to think "Oh, he'll just go back to his old ways in an act of desperation," but I am not as weak as that. I have a strong mind and I can stick to this. How do you explain the half-stone loss if I lost only those minor things?

Araciel
10-16-2006, 04:35 PM
yep i'm pretty sure this kind of crash course diet might lead to an actual crash in the future if you're not careful. it might be best if you are having trouble with an eating disorder to talk to a doctor before self-medicating. barring that, if it actually does help then i'm happy for you. but you have to eat or you will start to become weak and eventually you won't be able to remain conscious for more than a couple of hours at a time.

i know i'm just some guy on the internet who doesn't know anything about you but i'm sure there are other ways to get you on the right path

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I guess mine is to lose weight before Christmas!

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Araciel: Heh, the doctors are a bunch of idiots at the place I go. Sorry to sound stubborn, but that's how it is. They're very patronising with what they say and I doubt they'd ever be able to help me. Plus, anybody can live without food. They just need water. What am I drinking right now? Water.

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
;)
I like your positive thinking attitude, Jimsour, but it isn't that simple for everybody. It's a very typical view to think "Oh, he'll just go back to his old ways in an act of desperation," but I am not as weak as that. I have a strong mind and I can stick to this. How do you explain the half-stone loss if I lost only those minor things?

Put it this way, you need food to live. For some people, a month without food or nutrition is enough to kill someone if they dont know what they are doing. Its dangerious to go a month without food. I've spent 3 years reading about nutrition to know what I know.

The half stone loss is just that, its weight, not fat, its water that was stored by the body incase you do something like this, and muscle weight, because muscle is more nutritious to the body then fat is, you are literally eating yourself alive from the inside. your going from one extreme to another.
Everything I say to you is from experience.

Resha
10-16-2006, 04:41 PM
My personal challenge at this very moment is to....not self-destruct. Entirely.

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Jimsour... I want to start some form of exercise too though. That WILL help me lose weight.

Araciel
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Jimsour... I want to start some form of exercise too though. That WILL help me lose weight.

DUDE....you will die. no food and starting exercise after (i'm assuming) not exercising for however long is a horrible way to get healthy...it's the opposite in fact

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Prove it. ^_~

Araciel
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
nothing living on this planet can survive on water alone, that's a fact

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Plants survive on water and sunlight! I do go to college y'know. That's some sunlight! :p

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Do not exercise if you arent eating.

Why?
1. you need food to fuel exercise. that is what food is for, its fuel for the body.
2. working out is pointless if you wont eat.

I can help you with whatever you need to know, take a martial arts class or something when you start eating again so it keeps you interested. I eat things like fruit, muesli, eggs, rice, frozen veg, bread, and even some junk food, and I love what I eat because im comfortable with it; i wasnt at first, and I know why food exists.

you will lose weight (read: pure fat) if you go about it right and eat good food, work out (anything from walking, martial arts, weight lifting, riding a bike, running, cardio machines, anything..).. I guarantee you after a month you will feel 100%. Your weight loss will be slow, but there is no quick fix. It took you years of doing nothing to get where you are today, it wont go away tomorow, itll take a few months, and starving yourself is putting the goal even further away as your body hordes onto every drop of fat it has.

Araciel
10-16-2006, 04:55 PM
yeah sunlight and nutrients from soil...i don't go to college... so i guess that means you win superman

Shaun
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
The problem is, I don't really like change. So doing all these strange exercises will be odd. If I started eating again, because my taste in food is so limited, I wouldn't be able to find anything healthy. Bah, gotta go now anyway, I'll check this thread when I can!

Araciel
10-16-2006, 05:00 PM
well good luck anyway...i hope you change your mind.

Christmas
10-16-2006, 05:01 PM
My challenge is to become NANNY MANUS new best friend. :bigsmile:

But it is too hard. :(

ShunNakamura
10-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Actually eating isn't necessisary if you get your nutrients from liquids. Water alone likely won't cut it(unless you got a lot of junk in your water). However, a mix of water, juices and ..... are they called protien shakes? But yeah, lots of different liquids can be used to make up what you don't get from food. I myself drink far more than I eat[about 1-2 meals a day, and I drink several gallons of liquids a day].

I don't know if you can pick everything up through liquids these days[though I would guess that you can find the majority of it at least]; but you could pick up enough that 'not eating' may not be as harmful as it usually would be in the short-medium terms.

Anyways I like eating a bit too much to go all the way away from it, but I do much prefer liquids for much of the day.

As for personal challenges trying to get more exercise in in the hopes that it will help fight my constant illnesses* I get(I may get 2-3 months of being healthy a year, if I am lucky). Fortunately the college has some nice equipment and I got a long break once a week, I figure I will start there. My biggest fear with it is that it will make me miss more classes than what my illness already causes(due to strain and exhaustion on my body weaking me and making me more succeptiable; however, excercise sometimes does help, and I should at least TRY something).

*Sad part was I thought those illnesses mostly went away after I started eating a bit less(though healthier) and absorbing a lot through liquids[lots of juice and vitimin enhanced liquids]. But I have taken a really nasty dip these last months and have not been able to shake no matter how hard I try.

Resha
10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
The problem is, I don't really like change. So doing all these strange exercises will be odd. If I started eating again, because my taste in food is so limited, I wouldn't be able to find anything healthy. Bah, gotta go now anyway, I'll check this thread when I can!

Shaun. Think about making it a bigger challenge eating something you absolutely detest like greens and stuff. You don't need to eat food food. You can always eat rabbit food, bread, stuff like that. I think. It'd be helluva lot better than starving yourself raw :/ and believe me, you won't be able to keep it up. It's not even about mental strength. What if you pass out or something? The doctors sure aren't going to listen. My advice; if you're so determined not to eat fatty stuff, then eat only vegetables or something. =)

Araciel
10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Actually eating isn't necessisary if you get your nutrients from liquids. Water alone likely won't cut it(unless you got a lot of junk in your water). However, a mix of water, juices and ..... are they called protien shakes? But yeah, lots of different liquids can be used to make up what you don't get from food. I myself drink far more than I eat[about 1-2 meals a day, and I drink several gallons of liquids a day].

I don't know if you can pick everything up through liquids these days[though I would guess that you can find the majority of it at least]; but you could pick up enough that 'not eating' may not be as harmful as it usually would be in the short-medium terms.

Anyways I like eating a bit too much to go all the way away from it, but I do much prefer liquids for much of the day.

As for personal challenges trying to get more exercise in in the hopes that it will help fight my constant illnesses* I get(I may get 2-3 months of being healthy a year, if I am lucky). Fortunately the college has some nice equipment and I got a long break once a week, I figure I will start there. My biggest fear with it is that it will make me miss more classes than what my illness already causes(due to strain and exhaustion on my body weaking me and making me more succeptiable; however, excercise sometimes does help, and I should at least TRY something).

*Sad part was I thought those illnesses mostly went away after I started eating a bit less(though healthier) and absorbing a lot through liquids[lots of juice and vitimin enhanced liquids]. But I have taken a really nasty dip these last months and have not been able to shake no matter how hard I try.

it's possible entirely to live on an all-fluid diet, though i wouldn't recommend it. the fact is that the human body is designed to digest solid forms of plant and animal matter in order to function more or less properly in day to day life. to go against that just leads to problems

XxSephirothxX
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
My biggest goal right now is to maintain a solid B or hopefully A average at UGA. Other than that, I'm trying hard not to get fat on the all-you-can-eat food service, and am doing my best to help improve the frontsite. I think I'm doing okay in all three regards, but the second might be a losing battle. :p

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey, I dont like change either (or didnt, back then) but I rolled up my sleeves and got stuck into it. I'm a better person for doing it. Instead of trying to prove to yourself you can lose weight by starving yourself, you should prove to yourself you can live your life without needing to worry about food, and just take it as it comes, eat when you are hungry or when you need it (morning, after workouts and etc). Thats what I do. You'll eventually start to get hungry every few hours and you just take it as it comes.

I dont get what you mean by you say you dont like change, yet you are doing something very drastic which is completely out of order from your life style (since your trying to change that lifestyle). Why not make a positive change ?

I have a very limited taste in food, so I stuck with what I liked, but I ate less of it, then I eventually got to like other foods. Some people say they cant possible like raw veg and etc, but they aqquire a taste for coffee and for beer, and whatever else that needs an aqquired taste. There are healthy alternatives to everything.

You dont have to go and throw around weights for hours on end. Manchester is full of martial arts clubs, full of cheap gyms, and you can even stick to walking; I walk all the bloody time and it does me a lot of good. I dont have a gym membership and havent been in a gym for about a year, instead I do things that interest me like martial arts to keep fit.

you can only change if you want to change. i can give you links on what to do and inspiration and everything under the sun that i used 3 years ago to change my life, but im not going to waste my time if you do not want that change and would prefere to feel sorry for yourself and starve.

fire_of_avalon
10-16-2006, 05:44 PM
If you're actually doing this, you're going to end up hospitalized and force-fed either intravenously or through a tube. This isn't an intelligent way to go about controlling oneself. You can't exhibit any self control over the foods you take in, so you don't take in any at all? It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite of what you claim you're attempting here.

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry for the double post but I want to address the two posts seperetly without it looking messy and like one giant post. let it slide this one eh?

You can indeed survive on liquids, but you'll ruin your digestive system. the human body was not made to drink strawberries and bananas, it was made to eat them. Protein shakes are great, I use to take them all the time, but they are only protein. There are no carbohydrates (something the brain uses a lot) or any healthy fats whatsoever.. and the protein is whey so its absorbed very fast by the body. Protein shakes are designed to be taken after weight training sessions where the body is gagging for protein to rebuilt and regrow its muscle fibres which have been ribbed to shreds.

Drinking meals is fine if you still eat solid food, because liquid meals lack something very important: fiber, and roughage. you will get a lot more benefit eating a steak dinner then in liquid form, its digested differently.

Also your illness's could be a reaction to food you are eating, or you just arent eating enough.. the workouts should help it though if you are eating enough to handle working out.

Misfit
10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Um.

My challenge for this year is to graduate with atleast honors. ;D I get A's and B's and maybe a few C's, but I never hit honors. I get perfect attendance all the time, but this time I wanna wear that little golden sash thingy when I graduate. >:D

Old Manus
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM

But it is too hard. :(The constant orders for submission just isn't working for me.

Christmas
10-16-2006, 06:07 PM

But it is too hard. :(The constant orders for submission just isn't working for me.

NANNY MANUS is always so paranoid. It is so hard to be best friend with such a person. :(

But I will overcome this CHALLENGE. :bigsmile:

escobert
10-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Moving out of the projects! I did it! I'm not in a nice place to live and it's freaking awsome. also hopefully will be starting community college soon. Going to take some classes and then maybe get a reall job.

Yuffie514
10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
anger control:
both zodiac and horoscope clearly points the sign at me with "prone to anger". it's very true. i'm trying not to lash out abruptly at simple things.

bipper
10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
So, what challenges (stupid or not) have you set yourself lately and have you stuck to them?

I am in constant struggle against stupidity. :(

Rainecloud
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Good luck with losing the weight. I hope nothing bad happens to you due to the methods you're using, though (but you don't need me to tell you that, and I'm sure you know what you're doing). =/

I did the same thing a couple of years ago and become quite ill. I lasted for nearly 12 days and then started to pass out. I then stopped being stupid, started to eat healthy foods and exercise, and lost the weight via conventional dieting methods.

My personal challenge was to eat healthy and maintain the lifestyle. I became more active and began to eat properly. I also started to lift weights and exercise, and it's made me feel like a different person. Eighteen months later, and I've never gone back to my unhealthy previous lifestyle. :)

Rye
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I've done the no eating challenge. I think I made almost 3 days? I used to do it whenever I felt really miserable. I guess it may have been a way to punish myself when I felt disgusted with myself? I don't know. I haven't done it in a while. So I can understand your feelings if that's the context in which you're doing it.

Lately, my challenge is to get a job (which I might have just gotten) and save up for a professional digital camera and a good lens which would be about... 1,500 dollars?

SammieBabe
10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm trying to find a happy medium between motherhood and working. I want nothing more than to stay at home with my sons and raise them in the best way I can. On the other hand, I like the independence and the monetary lifestyle that working gives me. I'm sure I'll work it out, but it really sucks right now...

Quindiana Jones
10-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Mine is to not kick annoying small children in the face. I keep failing. :(

Jimsour
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
you and me both..

ShunNakamura
10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
You can indeed survive on liquids, but you'll ruin your digestive system. the human body was not made to drink strawberries and bananas, it was made to eat them. Protein shakes are great, I use to take them all the time, but they are only protein. There are no carbohydrates (something the brain uses a lot) or any healthy fats whatsoever.. and the protein is whey so its absorbed very fast by the body. Protein shakes are designed to be taken after weight training sessions where the body is gagging for protein to rebuilt and regrow its muscle fibres which have been ribbed to shreds.
I was sure there were carbohydrates in many types of liquids? Meh maybe not. As for the fats that is something I almost always overlook(not hard to find something with fats in it to eat, but on liquids what about milk? thick creamy milk(I love creamy milk)).

Drinking meals is fine if you still eat solid food, because liquid meals lack something very important: fiber, and roughage. you will get a lot more benefit eating a steak dinner then in liquid form, its digested differently.

I knew I had to be missing something. Fiber. Of course that explains the bits of foods that I usually have cravings for. They tend to be high in carbs, protein, and/or fiber.

Also your illness's could be a reaction to food you are eating, or you just arent eating enough.. the workouts should help it though if you are eating enough to handle working out.

Well as weird as it is, my health is less when I eat more and drink less(no way am I stupid enough to double up on it, that would be WAY too many calories). This occurs even in the long term(I think I did it for about 6 months before). My health just died, caught the worst illness I ever had during that time(bronchitis for around 5'ish months is absolute hell, particually since the doctor said it may have been some sort of bronchitis-pnuemonia mix, god awful, I never want to repeat that). It may not have been because of what I was eating, but what I was eating didn't help either, I was weaker than usual when fighting the disease and much of other things. I think my body is just so used to the high liquid diet that I now NEED that extra amount of liquids in my body.

Some other odd things that have been attributed to what I eat from coaches and freinds are:
A) My metablolism is insanely fast. Ex. I was ill. I ate a foot-long subway sub. About 30 mins-45mins at most later I threw up. Nothing but bile came up. I had nothing left in my stomache at that point. Surprised the daylights out of everyone who witnessed it. I keep telling them my metabolism was fast, but they didn't believe it til then.

B) I seem to heal from sunburns, scraps, and other surface wounds rather quickly compared to others. I know for sunburns the extra liquids is real useful, and that extra liquids for just about any injury tends to be helpful.

C)My body just sponges hits. Got called the sponge in wrestling a couple times, because my body just asorbs whatever you throw at me. I also sweeted far more than anyone else did in wrestling, nearly impossible to grip me once I start to exercise.

D) I am stronger than I should be. I am lazy and sit on my butt all day, but yet I am nearly as strong as people who work out at least fairly frequently. Some think it is genes but no one else in my family seems to be like that(brother is just a bit stronger then me, but he works out fairly often and is 50+lbs heavier). Some did wonder if my high liquid intake had anything to do with it. I don't see why it would but, meh.

E) I put on muscle fast. My strength could noticable increase between workouts in wrestling(on monday someone would be stronger than me, but the next day I would shove them around like a tow). I just figured my body operated quicker on the muscle tearing and growing(also after every practice I gained strength like that I was usually really really sore but by morning the pain was gone usually).

Mine is to not kick annoying small children in the face. I keep failing.
That is always a hard thing to do... stupid children

Miriel
10-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Current goal? Get the hell outta college.

Also, Jimsour speaks the truth. Shaun, a better, healthier, and more effective way to lose weight, show determination, etc, would be to eat the right food, exercise and lose weight the healthy way. Going without food accomplishes nothing. Why make your goal be something that is so unhealthy? You want to lose weight? There are ways to do that without putting yourself in serious risk for a whole bunch of medical problems.

Twisted Tinkerbell
10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
On another forum I visit we're having the Challenge [your name here] Week. My challenge is three healthy meals a day and less snacking on junk.

Shaun
10-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd like to reply to each one of you personally but I've just made one hell of a large post on another forum and my arms are aching a bit, so apologies for that. In a news update, I gave in and ate some stuff last night. At almost five days going, I saw my parents eating in the evening and couldn't keep going. I simply lost my guard. First having the chicken soup wasn't bad as it's healthy, but then I started eating loads. I made sandwiches, had crisps, ate savoury foods, got some chocolate.

Today I've been feeling extremely depressed. I don't know, it seems somehow eating food has made me depressed. I want to go back onto my starvation diet and go much longer than five days, but if you guys are so convinced I won't lose an ounce of weight by doing it, I'll stop. I personally think I'd be better off doing it than eating everything in the house. :/ Rye, you're right, I guess that is why I've been doing it. I think I've pretty much sinned by letting my body get into bad condition and my punishment was to have no food whatsoever...

You all say I should go to the gym, et cetera. "Get some exercise," you say. I can see where you're all coming from, and that's good advice for most people. However, I like to be alone. I couldn't stand being in a gym. I'm not very good with people. As for exercise in general, there's only so much I can really do. My co-ordination is not the best. :( I'm not really fat now. Just a little overweight. My fear is that it's going to get worse and worse though...

ShunNakamura
10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Too bad you don't go to my college. Our fitness center is usually just about empty if not empty. I am going there, they got some nice equipment for it rarely being used.

Anyways it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get the nutrients you need.

and to add on. I don't know if this holds true for others, but for me exercise reduces my appetite. SO that may help.

Jimsour
10-17-2006, 04:15 PM
I was sure there were carbohydrates in many types of liquids? Meh maybe not. As for the fats that is something I almost always overlook(not hard to find something with fats in it to eat, but on liquids what about milk? thick creamy milk(I love creamy milk)).

I knew I had to be missing something. Fiber. Of course that explains the bits of foods that I usually have cravings for. They tend to be high in carbs, protein, and/or fiber.

Well as weird as it is, my health is less when I eat more and drink less(no way am I stupid enough to double up on it, that would be WAY too many calories). This occurs even in the long term(I think I did it for about 6 months before). My health just died, caught the worst illness I ever had during that time(bronchitis for around 5'ish months is absolute hell, particually since the doctor said it may have been some sort of bronchitis-pnuemonia mix, god awful, I never want to repeat that). It may not have been because of what I was eating, but what I was eating didn't help either, I was weaker than usual when fighting the disease and much of other things. I think my body is just so used to the high liquid diet that I now NEED that extra amount of liquids in my body.

Carbs in most liquids is usually sugarish (does not mean table sugar) and it lacks complex or fiberious carbs most of the time. Also there are different types of fiber that work different and when you blend food it ruins the fiber of most food. Oils like olive oil give good fats, but the fat from milk is just saturated fat; its only intended for calves drinking thier mothers milk, not humans. Saturated fat helps keep calves (and baby humans) warm, they dont particulrly need their omega 3s and 6s.

I'm not saying liquid diets are bad but people should definetely eat solid food aswell when on one. Its very easy to get nutrition from liquid foods but you need the solid food for other reasons and not just nutrition.

Jimsour
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I'd like to reply to each one of you personally but I've just made one hell of a large post on another forum and my arms are aching a bit, so apologies for that. In a news update, I gave in and ate some stuff last night. At almost five days going, I saw my parents eating in the evening and couldn't keep going. I simply lost my guard. First having the chicken soup wasn't bad as it's healthy, but then I started eating loads. I made sandwiches, had crisps, ate savoury foods, got some chocolate.

Today I've been feeling extremely depressed. I don't know, it seems somehow eating food has made me depressed. I want to go back onto my starvation diet and go much longer than five days, but if you guys are so convinced I won't lose an ounce of weight by doing it, I'll stop. I personally think I'd be better off doing it than eating everything in the house. :/ Rye, you're right, I guess that is why I've been doing it. I think I've pretty much sinned by letting my body get into bad condition and my punishment was to have no food whatsoever...

You all say I should go to the gym, et cetera. "Get some exercise," you say. I can see where you're all coming from, and that's good advice for most people. However, I like to be alone. I couldn't stand being in a gym. I'm not very good with people. As for exercise in general, there's only so much I can really do. My co-ordination is not the best. :( I'm not really fat now. Just a little overweight. My fear is that it's going to get worse and worse though...

Good, glad you ate. I'm going to let you in on a secret: junk food does not have to be eliminated completely. It is not 100% bad and ultimately it is still food. You caught up with 5 days of eating, which is what happens on starvation diets and its why they fail.

If you want I can show you some links on what to do next, because its too much for me to explain everything. this includes getting over not being good with people; most people arent good with others because of their weight. its a barrier with fear.

You dont need to go to a gym. I havent been to a gym in months, I do martial arts and I walk everywhere instead of getting the bus (unless im really late..). Since your in Manchester too, there is a good jeet kune do club down beside Market street.. just off portland street (keep going up past picadilly gardens), you cant miss it. Its a bit pricey (30 membership fee and 6 a lesson) but its well worth it and no one really talks to you because they are busy being taught. Next enrollment for beginners is on the 30th. I've been going there for a few weeks and its a great workout, and in my opinion more beneficial than going into a gym and running on spot for 40 minutes because you are learning something for life that may even save your life some day.

ShunNakamura
10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Carbs in most liquids is usually sugarish (does not mean table sugar) and it lacks complex or fiberious carbs most of the time.

Hmm.. so they tend to contain simple carbs and thus you don't get you complex carbs. Well that does explain why I tend to crave stuff like raw potatoes and the ilk so often. Or as I tell my sister my body tells me when I need a particular nutrient. Usually cake, ice cream, or other sweets make me sick(probably because my liquids tend to contain all the sugar and that sort of stuff I will ever need) when I think of eating them.

Also there are different types of fiber that work different and when you blend food it ruins the fiber of most food.

Wasn't aware that blending would ruin fiber.... definately interesting(and now I can give a 'good' reason to my mother why I don't like so many foods blended(though that is not cause of fiber, I just don't like mixing my foods, but hey, she won't note the difference :p)).

Oils like olive oil give good fats, but the fat from milk is just saturated fat; its only intended for calves drinking thier mothers milk, not humans. Saturated fat helps keep calves (and baby humans) warm, they dont particulrly need their omega 3s and 6s.
What about goat milk? I am always told it is healthier.

Anyways I tend to not like fats one way or the other, particually meat fat, I can't stand it :barf:.

I'm not saying liquid diets are bad but people should definetely eat solid food aswell when on one. Its very easy to get nutrition from liquid foods but you need the solid food for other reasons and not just nutrition.

Meh I would mostly agree, I just find liquids to be more 'convenient' than solids most of the time so I stick with them for anything but my major meals during the day(1-2 usually once after I wake up and about 4-7 hours before I plan to sleep. Sort of a boost to finish the day in other words).

Shaun
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Jimsour, I'd appreciate that. I can't guarantee I'll be in a state to follow the links' advice, but I'll give it a go when I can at least. I've gotta go for now, so either post the links here or PM me and I'll check them out ASAP. Thank you. I'll eat tonight as well if you're going to send those links. May as well.

Ashi
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't think starving yourself is a good way of losing weight. It's better to just stick to healthy food in small portions. There are fitness experts who can help you. People who try to starve themselves always end up losing it and then eating a lot to make up for the times when they didn't eat and they don't really lose any weight that way.

My personal challenge is to be able to sit down and study. I didn't find college difficult the past few years so I've rarely had to do any work outside college but this year is getting difficult and my time inside college is limited and I feel like I'm not getting any work done unless I sit down and do it at home. Yet there are so many distractions at home and no quiet place to do anything... so it's something I gotta overcome. :tongue: