PDA

View Full Version : Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog?

Vincent, Thunder God
10-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm home from school today, so I figured I would post a new poll. Simple. Who is better? Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario?

I went for Mario myself.

It was tricky to choose. Sonic 2 on Genesis was the first game I ever played, but even before then I had asked my parents for an SNES. I never understood why they got a Genesis instead that Christmas, and I had been looking forward to Super Mario World. I enjoyed Sonic, but years later (as in, 2002 or 2003) I bought a secondhand SNES and got Super Mario Allstars and Super Mario Land 1 and 2, and enjoyed them all more overall.

DK
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Sonic the Hedgehog.

LunarWeaver
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Initially, I liked Sonic more. But that blue hedgehog and his now 5 million companions have burned me lately with mediocre to crappy games, and Mario has a better record of quality to me. Plus, he has a mustache!

I Am Stoner
10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Woa, it maybe simple but to be honest mate, you got my head in a twist. I like mario, his games are so good, i.e. mario sunshine, mario64 I didn't mind the first super mario, but after that the 2d mario games were too hard for me.;_; but then there is sonic, i.e. sonic adventure, sonic adventure two.

I would say sonic, I could actually play that game when I was younger instead of it confusing me like mario did,;_;

Dreddz
10-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Sonic.

RiseToFall
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Itsa Mea Marioooo.

The little plumber started it all for me.

Rocket Edge
10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
That's an impossible question.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I played Sonic 1 briefly. Meanwhile, I still have my NES and actually played Super Mario 1 last night. I'll never get tired of the Mario games I grew up with (except 64 b/c my N64 stopped working). I remember getting my first video game for Christmas, and seeing Super Mario Bros. on the screen, so of course Mario wins. Meanwhile, I don't even know what happened to my Genesis. I think my dad got rid of it, but I didn't notice. Never beat Sonic 1.

Xander
10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Sonic has had my heart for many years, and I don't find mario fun maybe cos I just started playing it a couple of months ago :p

Plus blue hedgehog > silly fat plumber :p (though I love gamecube and DS rpg style mario games :D)

Vincent, Thunder God
10-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Woa, it maybe simple but to be honest mate, you got my head in a twist. I like mario, his games are so good, i.e. mario sunshine, mario64 I didn't mind the first super mario, but after that the 2d mario games were too hard for me.;_; but then there is sonic, i.e. sonic adventure, sonic adventure two.

I would say sonic, I could actually play that game when I was younger instead of it confusing me like mario did,;_;

That's an impossible question.

Even as I made the poll I knew the decision would be difficult, even for me... but that's why making it is all the more interesting. It's going to be a very close poll.

ama124
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Hmm... this is a tough choice.

Sonic wins, but barely. I loved mario and sonic dearly. Kept me entertained for many years :D

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I was 5 and a half when I picked up Mario, and I still play his games. For a while, I was playing FF instead after I got FFVII in 1998, but now I play both FF and Mario, and more stuff like what I liked growing up earlier and later. I don't even remember when I started playing Sega, either 6 or 7, but I know I got Super NES for Christmas when I was 6. Both Super NES and NES are plugged into my TV at my dorm right now, and btw I'm 21. Too bad a stereo system doesn't fit in my dorm so I don't have to plug in and out between my Super NES and PS2.

In response to Xander, The Great Plumber > silly blue hedgehog.

No, it's not close, it says 5 to 2 right now.

~SapphireStar~
10-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Sonic purely because I played his games before Mario. Sonic the Hedgehog was actually the first game I ever played! I think I was about 7 or so. I dont like the cartoon Sonic though, he bugs me.

Dont get me wrong though, love Mario as well!

Rainecloud
10-16-2006, 09:16 PM
After 15 years of playing Mario and 14 years of playing Sonic, I still can't decide. Back in the 90's, they both provided us with exceptional platform games that were completely different from one another. Mario's awesome level design and coin collecting sprees were incredibly enjoyable, whereas Sonic's "cool" appearance and sense of speed made you think you were playing something truly special. In the 2D era, it's a draw for me. I can't decide.

When both characters migrated into 3D environments, Mario took the lead in great games with superb level designs. Unfortunately, Sonic Adventure, while enjoyable, wasn't a scratch on Nintendo's Mario games, and can't hold a candle to Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

So, all in all, Mario wins the 3D round, and the 2D round is a draw. Overall result: Mario wins, I guess. =/

Roto13
10-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Sophie's Choice much?

KentaRawr!
10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I've always preferred Mario, but that's not to say the older Sonic games were bad in any way. However, the newer Mario games (excluding the sports titles) seem to be quite a bit better than what Sonic has turned out to be. Of course, it's a silly comparison. The only thing the two games have in common is the fact that you go from left to right in a level and collect gold in a specific shape. :-/

Vincent, Thunder God
10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Of course, it's a silly comparison.The only thing the two games have in common is the fact that you go from left to right in a level and collect gold in a specific shape. :-/

I haven't played any later 3D games, so the comparison is mostly based on the 2D games, which were fairly similar.

Breine
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
The Italian plumber all the way. He has brought me many good hours, although the old Sonic games are quite great too. There's just something about Mario that is irreplaceable.

Agent Proto
10-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh man. Hard to decide. But Mario wins for having better games. :)

Shiny
10-16-2006, 10:26 PM
-_O Such a difficult decision for me. I'm going to go with Sonic though since he had a better cartoon then Mario and isn't a stereotype.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Mario.:) I absolutely love Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door!:) It's so much better than Sonic Adventure DX that Sonic video game sucks!:mad:

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-17-2006, 02:57 AM
Did they put Sonic in an RPG? If they did, we could compare it to the truly great Mario RPG, Super Mario RPG, and be like, "Man, the mario rpg was much better!"

Erdrick Holmes
10-17-2006, 03:27 AM
Hmm compairing Sonic to Mario... lets compair a .357 magnum to a sling shot.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Some people called Sonic Adventure DX a RPG. Those people referred to that game as the Sonic RPG.

Erdrick Holmes
10-17-2006, 03:36 AM
*facepalm*

I was actually tempted to make a Sonic RPG with RPG maker but I'm way to lazy to learn it. I got sprites and sounds and crap but not idea how to use it. Any voulonteers?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Man, Sonic Adventure must have really been bad, then, since Super Mario RPG is supposed to be really good compared to the other Mario RPG's, and those other RPG's are better the Sonic RPG? And so the plumber dominates no matter how you look at things, heh heh.

15-8 Mario, that's what I like to see.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-17-2006, 03:38 AM
Every Sonic game developed after 1998 has been some kind of disaster, and they're getting only worse with each new installment, descending steadily along a downward spiral into outright unplayability. And regarding the overall cast, the post-Adventure character design revisions are highly unappealling, as are the droves of vapid new characters they insist on introducing at a steady, miserable drip.

But there's nothing not to like about Mario.

Evastio
10-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Mario all the way!!!! :D

Ryth
10-17-2006, 04:36 AM
Without a doubt, Mario. Sonic had some great games on the Genesis, but Mario has been great throughout the years (even with the awful blemish that was Mario's Missing! and it's sequel). Sonic has failed miserably in the 3D market, where Mario has obviously succeeded. It's like Kishi said, Sonic games have been getting worse and worse since 1998 and the characters are miserable and horrid. They're unmemorable, and when you do remember them, you likely wish you didn't.

escobert
10-17-2006, 04:59 AM
Sonic, I HATE mario.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-17-2006, 05:29 AM
Care to explain why you hate Mario so much Barton?

NINJA_Ryu
10-17-2006, 05:40 AM
Sonic, and im talking about thier 2D eras.

Rings vs coins....rings FTW

Shrooms vs Chaos Emeralds....CE FTW

Spiky blue hedgehog who goes superspeeds and is a razor in motion vs a fat italian plumber with mad hops....hedgehog FTW

Robotic world of enslaved forest creatures by a crazy egg madman scientist vs a dinosaur who has a fetish for princesses...egg madmen FTW

my 2 cents

Araciel
10-18-2006, 12:47 AM
mario will always be the original...so he gets my vote