PDA

View Full Version : Nerdgasm: Scientists invent Dilithium

Paro
10-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Well, kinda. They've managed to create atoms made of a proton and it's negatively-charged antimatter equivalent the anti-proton.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-reaction.html (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10302-antimatter-and-matter-combine-in-chemical-reaction.html)

Antimatter and matter combine in chemical reaction

Mixing antimatter and matter usually has predictably violent consequences – the two annihilate one another in a fierce burst of energy.

But physicists in Geneva have found a new way to make the two combine, at least briefly, into a single substance. This exceptionally unstable stuff, made of protons and antiprotons, is called protonium.

The feat of "antichemistry" actually took place back in 2002, but nobody had realised it until now. It happened in an experiment at the CERN particle physics lab, when both antiprotons and positrons – which have the same mass as electrons but an opposite charge – were put into the same magnetic cage. Some of them combined to make antihydrogen, which was the original aim of the experiment.

Now it seems that the same setup also produced a more peculiar, hybrid kind of matter, according to an analysis of the pattern of particle shrapnel flying out of the experiment.

Researchers led by Evandro Rizzini at Italy's University of Brescia believe that some of the antiprotons reacted with ionised molecules of ordinary hydrogen, stealing away a proton. These proton-antiproton systems lasted microseconds at most, but that was long enough for many of them to drift away from the core of the experiment before exploding.

Protonium has been made before, but only in violent particle collisions. The new chemical method could be used to make it in much larger quantities.

Shlup
10-17-2006, 06:44 AM
"Protonium" made me lol for some reason.

Zeromus_X
10-17-2006, 06:45 AM
As long as a religious symbologist doesn't get involved, we should all be fine.

o_O
10-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Depending on the cost of manufacture (no idea what it would be), this could potentially become a source of renewable energy. It would probably be preferred en masse over nuclear fusion as well.

Rainecloud
10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
This means we're all doomed, of course.

:p

bipper
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Agent Protonium, plz.

Jowy
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
As long as a religious symbologist doesn't get involved, we should all be fine.

I concur.

Shaun
10-17-2006, 03:20 PM

Agent Protonium, plz.

Ditto.

sephirothishere
10-17-2006, 08:33 PM
This means we're all doomed, of course

yup...

McLovin'
10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I got a C in Biology.

Captain Maxx Power
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Hmm, we might not be doomed. What if we re-routed the triphase conduits through the secondary warp coil generators, and release it through the tachyonic ionisers?

McLovin'
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Then EoFF will become ALL EYES ON FF!

Rye
10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
If I mention this in Chem tomorrow, I wonder if I'll get extra credit. *prints*:bigsmile:

Denmark
10-17-2006, 09:11 PM
I got a C in Biology.

how'd you do in chemistry?

and wtf I was hoping for an Li<sub>2</sub> Bohr model or something. :(

that's still really cool though.

Madame Adequate
10-17-2006, 09:14 PM
pr00tium, eh? Sounds like it has vague practical applications in very specialized situations!

Do we want to be mixing matter and anti-matter? Is this a thing we want to be considering?

McLovin'
10-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I got a C in Biology.

how'd you do in chemistry?

B- but whats it to ya. :shifty:

Quindiana Jones
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
HE'S GOING TO STEAL YOUR IDENTITY.

That's thrilling.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-18-2006, 12:50 AM

Agent Protonium, plz.Dr Unnilquadium.

Araciel
10-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Depending on the cost of manufacture (no idea what it would be), this could potentially become a source of renewable energy. It would probably be preferred en masse over nuclear fusion as well.

i'm pretty sure since it's only just been done that it's beyond expensive at this point. but maybe someday.

Madame Adequate
10-18-2006, 12:56 AM

i'm pretty sure since it's only just been done that it's beyond expensive at this point. but maybe someday.

Such is technology. Something that cost $1000 in the 50s can cost - quite literally - 0.000001 of a cent now.