PDA

View Full Version : USB Cable

~SapphireStar~
10-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Okay I was setting up my new Lexmark X1250 printer and discovered on the box that I need to purchase a USB cable seperately.

Now I was going to pop into the Uni shop and hope they have one. But can I use any USB cable for my printer? It doesnt mention a specific type of USB cable, just this image in the instructions.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m42/SapphireStar_2006/Picture9-1.jpg

So do I just purchase a USB cable? No model type or anything? Any help would be appriacted guys, really need it set up ASAP!

Samuraid
10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
You can use any USB cable, as long as it has the correctly-sized connectors on each end.

EDIT:
See the images here for examples of the different connector types:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Mirage
10-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Just ask for a PC-to-printer USB cable, and you should get what you need.

~SapphireStar~
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
I think it may be a Standard-A plug to Standard-B plug. The printer doesnt mention a size or anything sadly. Wiki mentions a 0x07 for pirnter USB cables. So I'll make a note of the Standard-A plug to Standard-B plug and hope the uni shop has them. If not, its ebay ...

Just ask for a PC-to-printer USB cable, and you should get what you need.
Oh okay then! Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be up and running soon!

rubah
10-17-2006, 02:38 PM
it's really rude of companies to not include cables with their products, I think. It would be like buying a stereo and finding out you had to buy the cord that connects the speakers separately :(

Mirage
10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
It is! Or they automatically assume this is your second printer.

Yamaneko
10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
It's a standard male to female connector. They cost five dollars.

~SapphireStar~
10-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah it is a pain in the butt that it doest come with the printer. Got 2 cartridges of ink and free paper, but no cable!

I managed to get one for £5 from the local computer shop next door, so crisis solved! Thanks guys!

o_O
10-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I accidentally picked up my printer cable, and used it to connect my phone to my computer for several months without realising it. :p

Roto13
10-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I bought a Lexmark printer/scanner/photocopier/fax/coffee maker/sodomizer/kitchen sink recently and was annoyed to find that it expected me to buy a USB cable seperately. >_> Everyone told me it;d be, like, $30 but it was only a third of that. :P

ValiantKnight
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
They have gold editions for like 14$.. or regular for 5-9$.
Or maybe thats Cat6 cables..
/its early.. and just woke up... I worked at staples for about a month tho.

Standard A to B cable.

Printer companies dont include the cable at all.. 90% of printers that I know of this is the case. The printer is to be made as cheaply as possible, so you will buy it.. they make money on ink cartridges, addons, and other consumables/needded things.