PDA

View Full Version : Best MMORPGs

Discord
10-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Now, I'm looking for a good MMORPG, preferably a free one. I've played RuneScape, which I've hated, Silkroad, which got annoying after 10 minutes, Ryzom, which was buggy, GuildWars, which is based on levels rather than a world, Anarchy Online, which simply lacked something, and a couple of other ones not worth mentioning.

Anybody knows a really good one(excluding WoW)? Preferably one where crafting is fun.

Erdrick Holmes
10-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Wait about a week for Phantasy Star Universe and wait for... however long it takes for Neverwinter Nights 2.

escobert
10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
"GuildWars, which is based on levels rather than a world,"

what? where did you get this from? It's a world. and a AWSOME game. If you like diablo 2 at all, you'll like guild wars.

Bahamut2000X
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I think they mean a world as in the sense like EQ, WoW, or FFXI, where it's all just one huge area. Where as D2 and GW you just create a small instanced area to play in by yourself or maybe a few other people, but you can't interact beyond the towns. Hence lack of a world.

I hate to say this, but if you want a GOOD MMO, you'll have to pay. There's not much good in the free department.

Although there's been many threads on this, but paying 12 bucks or so a month isn't a bad deal. So long as you can invest time into the game, it more then pays off.

As for pay to play ones, I recommend WoW or FFXI.

FFXI has much better story, better jobs (although not as diverse, more distinct in playing them I believe) and many great aspects outside of just leveling. The downsides are, most of the best features require time, paitence, persistance, and being relitively higher level. It takes quite a while to level 1-75, and money isn't the easiest to come by. Also jobs are pretty much set in stone as to how to play them and what equipment to wear, because people only want the "best" set ups.

As for WoW. I only played for about a week, but found it so terribly boring. Really you just run around solo and level up to 60. When you want some better gear you join parties and do instances. Beyond that it's a big solo game. You'll spend most of your time alone, doing quests for exp and money and gear. Then at 40 you can get a mount, in which you'll spend all your time from exp grinding to money grinding just to afford it. But if you like mindless tasks solo for your entire gaming career, then WoW is for you. As from my experiences there isn't much endgame minus instances. And even those get repetitive after a while.

Anyways hope this helps somewhat.

bipper
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I like RF online and Wow. I think Phantasy Star Universe will not fit the bill if you want non instanced world, but I recommend it anyways.

Space Cowboys is like a first person shooter gone MMO in which you pilot a space craft and get in some seriously fun dog fights.

escobert
10-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I think they mean a world as in the sense like EQ, WoW, or FFXI, where it's all just one huge area. Where as D2 and GW you just create a small instanced area to play in by yourself or maybe a few other people, but you can't interact beyond the towns. Hence lack of a world.

That however is not true, there IS a world for Guild Wars, with differenet nations and everything. You have missions you do your missions, you explore the world it's no different then FFXI's world or WoWs world.
This is the map for the the Profecies campain
http://www.guildwars.com/theworld/tyria-lrg.php

and this is factions:
http://www.guildwars.com/theworld/cantha-lrg.php

Flying Mullet
10-17-2006, 07:27 PM
It's not the most exciting free MMORPG, but I figured I'd mention Maple Story since it's missing from this thread, although it's a heavy level grinding game.

escobert
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
AnimaRO.com is a good Ragnarok Online server. It's a VERY fun game :D

Jowy
10-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I second that motion. While RO's just a stupid level grinder, it's a cute and addictive little level grinder.

~SapphireStar~
10-17-2006, 09:24 PM
I only play World of Warcraft for £8 a month. I havent played it in a few months, but I do enjoy playing it.

McLovin'
10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
You can try Adventure Quest.

www.battelon.com

Its an alright game with cartoon style gaming and such.

I tried Runescape and couldn't even beat Tutorial Island. :crying:

ljkkjlcm9
10-17-2006, 10:15 PM

www.battelon.com

If you're gonna play AQ as posted above, play the better game by the same creators... Dragon Fable

www.dragonfable.com

it's a much better game in my opinion.

THE JACKEL

Araciel
10-18-2006, 12:42 AM
i've only played WoW and guild wars....i like WoW but i don't have the time to devote to it like a lot of more...'serious' gamers do....

abrojtm
10-18-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm playing Maple Story right now. It's very childish and pretty boring.

-Red XIII-
10-18-2006, 12:52 AM
kal online

Markus. D
10-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Now, I'm looking for a good MMORPG, preferably a free one. I've played RuneScape, which I've hated, Silkroad, which got annoying after 10 minutes, Ryzom, which was buggy, GuildWars, which is based on levels rather than a world, Anarchy Online, which simply lacked something, and a couple of other ones not worth mentioning.

Yes... 20 levels is all the game Guild Wars is worth. Actually. That’s what most of the community think, when really, once you get to level 17-20, it doesn’t really make much of a difference, its more based on skill.
And there is an amazing world to explore, Cantha has some bizarre features EVERYWHERE which was just brilliance, I cant wait for Nightfall (its an MORPG, or a CORPG anyways... so it doesn’t count).

FFXI is definitely one to mention n_n I still occasionally play it.

Maple Story kept my attention for a year, constant updates and editions made it a lovely game to explore through, and though the levelling took time, it definitely had the skill animations and damage numbers to keep my attention.

BattleOn.com doesn’t count because its 1 player... and the PvP is an AI version of someone else.

As for a good MMORPG, it depends what you like...

there are:
-Grinders (i.e. Hero Online)
-Quest Based (WoW >_>)
-Turn Based (Like Mythwar Online)
-Mission/Episode Based (lalala Ragnarok Online)

I cannot really recommend any... I kinda play/try all those types.

NINJA_Ryu
10-18-2006, 01:59 AM
How does FF XI stack up? Like what are the Pros/cons, and price?

As for me, its a never ending struggle, need to work to pay, and need to play to make the money worthwhile. HEnce, a circle of draining funds....

Discord
10-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Ok, since we're talking about GW, I'd like to post some comments on it too.

1.) You have the world. You have the map. If you're a very bored person, you can move through the whole world from location A to location B... no wait, you can't because the desert is not linked to anything else. Loading times are fine as are the walls separating the areas, but GW is basically a network of tunnels, domes and mountains. It has nations, but really, do you join one of the states. GW is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, that's true, but when it comes to having a world you can sink into, it's pretty poor.

I can't really say that I've ever enjoyed Adventure Quest. It was "kind of fun" for half an hour, but then it simply became more and more monotonic. It reminded me of pinpong, hit and move, hit and move. It's great if you like it though.:)

As for the rest, thanks a lot for the posts. I'll try the games out and I hope that there'll be more coming. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Talking about the 1st chapter of GW here. Never felt the desire to buy the second or the third.

EDIT2: By the way, what does the crafting look like in those games? Don't ask why I'm so hyper about it, please.;)

Markus. D
10-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Ok, since we're talking about GW, I'd like to post some comments on it too.

1.) You have the world. You have the map. If you're a very bored person, you can move through the whole world from location A to location B... no wait, you can't because the desert is not linked to anything else. Loading times are fine as are the walls separating the areas, but GW is basically a network of tunnels, domes and mountains. It has nations, but really, do you join one of the states. GW is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, that's true, but when it comes to having a world you can sink into, it's pretty poor.

As for the rest, thanks a lot for the posts. I'll try the games out and I hope that there'll be more coming. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Talking about the 1st chapter of GW here. Never felt the desire to buy the second or the third.

EDIT2: By the way, what does the crafting look like in those games? Don't ask why I'm so hyper about it, please.;)

FFXI probably has the better on crafting then any other mmorpg.

:)

the crafting (depends... on which type) can involve mining, and synthing materials together, sort of like alchemy, mining is original (as in... the actual hunting for them in mines really feels like a mining experience).

there is cooking aswell :D, which is also very fun.

but crafting definetly feels like end game stuff.. I havent got to do much of it yet.

Renmiri
10-18-2006, 04:14 AM
ShenMue 3 is going to be an online game. I ca't wait! :D

fantasyjunkie
10-18-2006, 05:15 AM

www.battelon.com

I had the same problem! :weep: :crying: