PDA

View Full Version : Akira

Emerald weapon
10-18-2006, 02:28 AM
After watching ''100 greatest animations''it inspired me to buy it n it was well worth the £5,what a great film!The storys good and the actual animation is quality,the night scenes are amazing and the whole last battle was beast,any1 else seen it?if so,tell me what u thought of it

RiseToFall
10-18-2006, 03:01 AM
I definitely appreciate what Akira has done in terms of making anime much more mainstream than it was before it's initial release. But I thought the actual movie was decent at best.

~SapphireStar~
10-18-2006, 03:18 AM
I got the special 2 disk edition some years ago. Best £10 I ever spent. Its a excellent piece of animation for its time.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
10-18-2006, 03:18 AM
Visually, Akira is by far one of the best-animated movies of all time, and it probably always will be. Aurally, the soundtrack has this great rhythmic quality to it that provides a constant driving force behind the action onscreen. Miscellaneously, Kaneda has a bitchin' set of wheels.

And after that, it really doesn't matter that the story is a bastardized mash-up of the manga's epic narrative with a dumb non-ending.

farplaner
10-18-2006, 06:09 AM
I never got into Manga or much into Anime, but Akira is a classic as far as I'm concerned. The things that annoy me so much about a lot of anime is all of the goofy character animation and epileptic seizure-enducing flashing during still frame fight scenes, of which Akira was pretty much devoid. I like it's style, and definitely the soundtrack (one of my favorite scenes is the bike battle). Also, I think the story, while loose-ended, was unique.

So, in conclusion, much love!

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-18-2006, 06:24 AM
man, I gotta see this movie. how does it compare to Miyazaki's 8 masterpieces, of which I have seen all.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
10-18-2006, 07:19 AM
It doesn't bear comparison to any of Miyazaki's work. It's a completely different creature. And I hope you mean nine.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-18-2006, 07:25 AM
Oh, right yeah, 9 if you count the Lupin one. I haven't seen that one.

Araciel
10-18-2006, 07:58 AM
akira was the first import animated movie i had ever seen...i was very young wand shouldn't have seen it, as i didn't understand half of what was going on. years later when i saw it as a teen i was blown away

excellent.

Outer Heaven
10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
I love this movie. I too have seen it when I was very young. Haven't seen Akira in a years though, but still remember most of it.

Ender
10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Visually it was awesome, and the story "outline" so to speak was good, but I found the execution of the story to be fairly uninspiring. IOW, I'm glad I saw it, but I don't much care one way or another if I see it again.

Ninja Scroll is far more engrossing for me, even if not as visually impressive.

I Am Stoner
10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Visually, Akira is by far one of the best-animated movies of all time.

Damn true dude, damn true.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
akira is a fantastic film if a little confusing at times KANEDA!:choc:

VengefulRonin
12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Last night i finally had the chance to watch the old anime movie Akira. I've been wanting to see it forever but could never find it in stores or download it, but i finally got it. After watching it, i found it pretty friggin good and its restored my faith in anime a little. So how many of you guys have seen it, or read the manga?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Threads merged.

VengefulRonin
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Visually, Akira is by far one of the best-animated movies of all time.

Damn true dude, damn true.

So very very true. Most anime in the 80's and early 90's was pretty crappy looking, but this movie is fantastic. People's eyes are even in proportion as opposed to the standard half-foot diameter eyeball.

I was reading some of the differences between the anime and manga though, and now i reeeeeally wanna read the manga, but i cant even find any websites with the entire series (talking online stores here, not sites that have naruto hosted).

Dreddz
12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Last night i finally had the chance to watch the old anime movie Akira. I've been wanting to see it forever but could never find it in stores or download it, but i finally got it. After watching it, i found it pretty friggin good and its restored my faith in anime a little. So how many of you guys have seen it, or read the manga?

Indeed, the whole of Akira is great, the movie and manga. I must of seen the anime 20 or so times since the beginning of the year. I even bought the special addition DVD just to get the better dub and extras. It ticks me off to find people critisizing the anime for its story, the original dub was pretty bad, but the new one is spot on. Or just watch the subtitled version which is good. Its a shame the anime cut alot of sections from the manga, but I guess it was hard enough to get the manga in a 2 hour film.

I was reading some of the differences between the anime and manga though, and now i reeeeeally wanna read the manga, but i cant even find any websites with the entire series (talking online stores here, not sites that have naruto hosted).

Your seriously missing out not reading the manga. I love the movie but much prefer the manga. You can download it off a torrent site. But I recommend you buy the actual books, which you can find on ebay.

VengefulRonin
12-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Your seriously missing out not reading the manga. I love the movie but much prefer the manga. You can download it off a torrent site. But I recommend you buy the actual books, which you can find on ebay.

I'll buy 'em if i ever get a friggin job, but what torrent site could i find the manga on? o_O Took me forever just to find a torrent of the movie