PDA

View Full Version : Board games.

Misfit
10-18-2006, 06:19 PM
So, I was listening to my favorite comedian of all times and this played:

"Monopoly. Everyone has it. NOBODY likes it. Even if you think you like it, you don't.

It's easy why...cause this is everyone here after two and a half hours into a game- (WHOOSH) smurf this game! It's four in the morning Grandma! YOU WIN! I'm sitting on Baltic with crap! I'm paying luxury tax out the ass! And I hate it when you're the banker--where'd you get those pink fifties you cheating whore?! Don't smurfin' touch me grandpa, NANA is a cheating WHORE! And I should cut your head off with this little doggy." ~ The Dane

So! What board games do you enjoy playing AND which board games can't you stand playing, but you play it anyway?
<br>

Christmas
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Monopoly!!! :bigsmile:

Erdrick Holmes
10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
MISFIT! =D

Dane Cook=God

XxSephirothxX
10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I enjoy Risk and Monopoly quite a bit. I can't think of a board game I dislike but play anyway, though both of those games can get extremely frustrating after playing them for hours on end. :p

McLovin'
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
I liked Strategio way back in the elementary days.

I hate Scrabble I guess.

theundeadhero
10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Risk kept many of us distracted for long hours in Iraq, in which we could have gone insane without the distraction.

I don't really really enjoy a lot of board games, but I'll play them if that's what's going on.

Misfit
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
MISFIT! =D

Dane Cook=God
CHANGE YOUR NAME. *n.n*

Anyways - Monopoly pisses me off some lots, but I love playing it.

Jowy
10-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Monopoly always ends with someone throwing a fit and a hotel going missing. :(

Trivial Pursuit is where it's at.

Pete for President
10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Risk is cool. That's the only boardgame I play. Well, only 2/3 times a year or so...

Avarice-ness
10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Dane Cook is everyone's favorite Comedian.

Monopoly always ends with someone throwing a fit and a hotel going missing. :(

Trivial Pursuit is where it's at.

Yeah, Intelligence > the little iron that's hording Boardwalk. :razz:

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Life, Careers, Masterpiece, and Uncle Wigglys Adventure!!

Haha, my mom misread the card one time and said that Uncle Wiggly dropped his crotch, lose a turn. Good times.

SammieBabe
10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't play board games I dislike. But I love Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit...

Miriel
10-18-2006, 07:36 PM
CRANIUM TURBO. :D

I like Monopoly too when I'm winning. Hate it while I'm losing.

I used to like Risk until my allies betrayed me. Bastards.

escobert
10-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I am a MASTER at Sorry. that games AWSOME!
all otheres suck. Except Risk and Stratego.

ShivaBlizzard8
10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Awww. . . I used to go see Dane Cook at comedy clubs in Boston before he got famous. . .

Anyway, I loved board games as a kid, and still do:

TOP FIVE FAVORITE BOARD GAMES:

5. MONOPOLY
Except for the fact it lasted hours, it was an awesome game. Especially if you played with the free parking rule.

4. CHESS
My dad taught my brother and I to play before we were 5, and once you learn all the moves, its fun no matter how old you are. And no two games are alike.

3. PARCHEESSI
The original Sorry! except less colorful and more difficult.

2. ENCHANTED FORREST
I'm the only one I know who remembers (and still owns!) this game. The board was covered with plastic trees with objects drawn on the bottom from fairy tales (Cinderella's slipper, Sleeping Beauty's spindle, Aladdin's lamp, etc) and your job was to search the trees and memorize which ones had which pictures. When a fairy tale card appeared in the castle, you could win it if you correctly identified the tree with the matching symbol. Lots of fun, and since I have a good memory, I always won. :)

1. CANDY LAND
Classic, classic, classic. No bells. No lights. No whistles. Just fun. You dont' even need to know how to count. I played this for hours and hours as a kid, and never got sick of it. The characters are classic - from the children from the Aryan Nation (a pack of blonde-haired, blue-eyed Candy Cane dressed munchkins), to Queen Frostine, Princess Loli, Grandma Nutt, the evil licorice guy, to the cute, but sad Plumpy, the Sugarplum farmer.

Now, for a RANT:
In college, we wanted to play some nostaigic Candy Land, but we couldn't find any of the old boards we had as kids, so we bought a new game for $8 in the local toy store. But when we opened the box, we found out they had managed to SCREW IT UP by making it EASIER. As a result, suspense (as little as it was) was completely removed. Here's how:

1. When you got stuck on a spotted square (gumdrops, the chocolate swamp, etc), you used to have to remain there until you draw a card of the same color. So if they stuck square was yellow, you couldn't move until you drew a yellow. Now, the new rules said you "just lose one turn." Oh, please. The whole fun was frantically missing turn after turn as your opponant's gingerbread men advanced.

2. When you drew a character card, you advanced directly to that character's square. In some cases this was a good thing -- Queen Frostine was near the end, so if you drew her early you jumped way ahead -- while in other cases it was a bad thing -- Plumpy the plum picker was near the begining, and drawing him at the end of the game sent you backwards and made for some frazzled nerves. But the new rules said the character cards only counted if you moved FORWARD. Meaning, they didn't make you go back to Plumpy if you were just about to WIN. WTF?

3. EVERY COLOR WINS. The last square of the game used to be purple, so you were stuck near the end, often competing with other players to draw that damn purple card to achieve victory. But on the new board, the last square is MULTICOLORED, so no matter what card you draw, you win. ARGHH!

The whole fun was the up and down of the game - somebody might draw Queen Frostine right away but get stuck in the swamp, or you might get sent back to Plumpy but managed to make it back while the winning player kept trying to get that last purple card. Now whoever starts first pretty much wins. We've so given up trying to teach kids how to compete and how to keep trying, and how to lose gracefully.[/rant]

Levian
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I love playing Clue, but I'm too scared to play it when it's dark outside. You never know who the killer is.

Rocket Edge
10-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Scrabble, Monopoly, a few more i can't really think of.. oh and snakes & ladders. :monster:

Spiffing Cheese
10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
I tend to hate a lot board games. Monopoly's okay for five minutes but I really don't have the attention span for it. xD Snakes and Ladders is fun. Trivial Pursuit can be good too. Oh, and does the game that gives you electric shocks count? xD

I won't play any I don't like!

Real people play Jenga. JENGA. :mad2:

Bunny
10-18-2006, 08:30 PM
My ex-girlfriend and a group of her friends swore that I was never to play Monopoly or attempt to start a game of Monopoly with them or anyone they knew.

I tend to get bored of Monopoly after about an hour and a half. At which point, I start making the game "fun". My idea of fun, however, is making deals with one or two specific people to ensure that they are the ones to play each other at the very end. I buy expensive properties and then sell them to players for very low prices in order to give them a Monopoly over that group. I will also tell various jokes when the situation arises.

Needless to say, not a whole lot of people appreciate me doing such things.

ALL BOARD GAMES MUST BURN.

Denmark
10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
I really only play Trivial Pursuit, and occasionally Scrabble.

Breine
10-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I love playing board games called "Trivial Pursuit", "Risk", "Scrabble" and "Venner For Livet" ("Friends For Life"). I don't play board games that often, but they're usually very enjoyable, acutally.

Board games I dislike are e.g.:
- blah blah blah... I can't think of any right now!

Spammerman
10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Chess. And candyland. I rock at candyland. The first time i played it on my first turn I was almost done. And I dislike scrabble, unless im playing with friends, and i can spell sexy.

chaos_ghost
10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Board games are just a trick by the Devil to get people to kill each other. Mark my words....Candy Land will be this planets demise.......

But moving right along, I love me some Up Words and Candy Land. Oh and Connect Four. I hate that acursed Chutes and Ladders.

Frozen Phantom
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I dont have many board games. Board games are for bored people

but if I had to choose it would be Clue, due to the fact it was one of the only board games that had violence :)

black orb
10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
>>> El juego de la oca.

Misfit
10-18-2006, 10:00 PM
>>> El juego de la oca.
I have no idea wtf you just said.

Xander
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I dooo like monopoly, and scrabble, I'm good at making big words! Well sometimes. :p

rubah
10-18-2006, 10:59 PM
monopoly is pretty boring. I like risk and stock market and Pay Day!

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Clue, Monopoly, Trivia Pursuit and Life. I rock at Trivia Pursuit Junior, or I did in grade 7 anyways...

Shiny
10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Chess is the best. Chess requires intellect and tactic. It's also pretty fun too if you know how to play.

blackmage_nuke
10-18-2006, 11:24 PM
I enjoy Chinese Chess and western chess, but im not very good at either

Ive never won a game of monopoly either

kikimm
10-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah Trivial Pursuit is great. Although now I've played it so much that I know the answer to pretty much all the questions.

Clue is also really fun! We have the board game from the 60s, which I love. It's all PSYCHADELIC. And cute.

Candy Land was also one my favourites.

Aaaaand I really liked this game called Lie, Cheat, and Steal (which was also another from the 60s or something) but I think it got thrown away. ;( Never played it according to the rules anyways.

Yuffie514
10-19-2006, 02:32 AM
i like Monopoly the most among all the board games i have played. there's also this Chinese chess-like game that involved rolling dices in a bowl and a set of horses which my aunt taught my brother and i how to play. i forgot what it was called.

Rusty
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I love board games! My favourites are Cluedo, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit. But I'll play anything. The new board games + DVD's are awesome. Like Scene It - that's really fun to play.

Frozen Phantom
10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally Bespoken by Misfit

Originally Bespoken by black orb

El juego de la oca.
I have no idea wtf you just said.

its called spanish, its the game of the something (still pretty rusty at it :riiight:)

Misfit
10-19-2006, 02:56 PM
You guys are all crazy.

Candy Land is where it's at.

Rantz
10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Haven't played Candy Land. I enjoy many board games, a few of which are Chess, Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo, Trivial Pursuit (and others in the genre), Hotel, Yucata, one called "Bondespelet" (The farmer game :)), Backgammon, Pente, and also one called "Kvarn" (Mill). That's all I can think of for now, but there are many more that I like.