PDA

View Full Version : Grar... low res images

Fate Fatale
10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
For some reason EVERY single sig image that I see (that has been hosted one way or another) tends to have a crappy resolution when I view it in someones signiture. Including mine. It's all fine and dandy on my comuter, however once images come to the net it's horrible. Could having dial-up internet have anything to do with this?

In a nutshell: All the images on EOFF look very crappy, as though they've been saved in a low resolution format. How can this be fixed, or is it a site-wide problem?

Flying Mullet
10-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Are you doing any image editing or saving them in an image editing program? If you are, the compressions settings in your program for saving a jpeg could be set really low, so it sacrifices image quality for a smaller file size.

Fate Fatale
10-18-2006, 10:06 PM
No, I only use GIF format when saving space.. also, it is not only my images, but also everyone elses.

EDIT: also note that the images look fine saved on my computer as GIFs

Xander
10-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Weird, have you tried using different browsers and is it the same in more than one browser?

rubah
10-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Turn off AOL's image resizing thing.

This is the first time in years that someone has had a problem with it, so I can't tell you where you can do that, or even if you can, but I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Fate Fatale
10-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Weird, have you tried using different browsers and is it the same in more than one browser?

Not yet.. I'll do that after I try what rubah said....

Turn off AOL's image resizing thing.

This is the first time in years that someone has had a problem with it, so I can't tell you where you can do that, or even if you can, but I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

How can I do this? I'm not sure where it can be found...

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me how my sig looks. I hope it doesn't look as crappy as it looks to me...

Mirage
10-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Your sig looks good to me. Dunno how i can explain it to you without sending you the file using some sort of other program.

rubah
10-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Try this page: http://www.maybole.org/news/resizing.htm

Samuraid
10-19-2006, 01:19 AM
If you use dialup with any sort of speed enhancements (such as Netzero/Juno HiSpeed ), it may be reducing the quality of images to improve the loading speed of the page. You can probably find a settings menu that will allow you to boost the image quality.

Also, your sig image looks fine. :)

crono_logical
10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Also, use Firefox, not AOL's lame browser :p

Fate Fatale
10-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Well, thanks for all the help. Nothing doing on any of the suggestions, but I don't have firefox and don't know where to d/l it... ie is being retarded and won't load pages right now... so that sucks. No accelerator for me, but stuff still looks crappy. If you can help thanks..

Rostum
10-20-2006, 01:38 AM
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Fate Fatale
10-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Hah, thanks.. I'll probably have to dl it another time though.. stupid AOL and it's retarded time limits.. I hate AOL's parental controls. My parents are whores with it..

Mirage
10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Get someone at school or college to download it for you. Use a thumbdrive or cd to get it into your computer.

Fate Fatale
10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh, I have no problem downloading it... My parents just have it set up so that I'm only allowed online for 1 hour a day between 9 AM and 9 PM.. which is stupid because I'm usually up till one or so in the morning playing with photoshop....