PDA

View Full Version : Attn Firefox Users

rubah
10-19-2006, 02:52 AM
How many of you are going to download IE7?

I have made the decision to try and do so, however much it may hurt my soul, because I need to sacrifice myself for the betterment of the masses; I cannot preach against the monster until I have personally tasted the sweetness of the cup it proffers me, gaping out of the abyss, reaching a tentacle in mock friendship, to pull me under and drown me in the world I swore off two years ago.

I must do this so that it may not happen to the masses.

Do you think you are strong enough to withstand it? Do you dare?

Meat Puppet
10-19-2006, 02:59 AM
I would, but I don’t think it is compatible with Windows 2000.

Leeza
10-19-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't know if I will as I'm still using SP1 and I guess I would have to go to SP2 with IE7.

Besides, I 99.9% of the time don't use IE while at home.

Shlup
10-19-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm considering it.

Jimsour
10-19-2006, 03:10 AM
Does it have a tab capability?

I will, maybe. Mozilla crashes my laptop when im on forums from time to time...

Meat Puppet
10-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Does it have a tab capability?.

Yes.

Yamaneko
10-19-2006, 03:47 AM
I will never use IE again until Microsoft unties it from Windows and stops using ActiveX. I don't care if they now have tabs and it's more secure. As long as it's tied to your OS that's a huge security risk.

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2006, 04:22 AM
Nope.

Jowy
10-19-2006, 04:29 AM
I'm content with Firefox as it is. I always found IE to be more of a hassle to use anyway.

XxSephirothxX
10-19-2006, 04:36 AM
If I read somewhere that it is somehow far superior to Firefox, I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but right now I can't think of anything I really want in a browser that Firefox doesn't already give me. I've been told that Opera is better in some ways, but the features I've read about didn't sound like anything I'd care about enough to switch over.

Denmark
10-19-2006, 04:45 AM
I don't see the point in downloading an upgrade to a browser I don't use when I'm perfectly comfortable and very content with the browser I do use, which is currently set up for all my needs.

Dr Unne
10-19-2006, 05:25 AM
They don't make it for my OS.

Khaotic
10-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Using it as we speak, and to be honest i'm not too impressed.

Nominus Experse
10-19-2006, 06:24 AM
I will never use IE again until Microsoft unties it from Windows and stops using ActiveX. I don't care if they now have tabs and it's more secure. As long as it's tied to your OS that's a huge security risk.
My thoughts exactly.

Who wants to use something that is so very much tied to your OS? Something you cannot fully remove?

That scares the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of me.

Rainecloud
10-19-2006, 06:48 AM
I've tried the Beta version, and I don't like it.

Firefox is still the browser for me, thanks.

Khaotic
10-19-2006, 06:50 AM
K, I switched back to firefox, it was too much of a wannabe firefox but made everything too complex and annoying, firefox ftw.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
I personally use Safari (Mac OS X browser) and it rules!! Firefox is a close second, and IE.........bah!

I downloaded IE so that I could have an internet browser that had Windows Media capabilty, but I threw it in the trash bin 30 minutes later after being fed up.

Samuraid
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm pretty sure I read on slashdot that MS will be distributing it through Windows Update. Whether or not it will be included as a critical security update...I'm not sure.

Brian The Pink Shark
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
good luck brave soldier *salutes* :choc:

Rantz
10-19-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm considering it.

Captain Maxx Power
10-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Blasphemer! Thou shalt ne'er drinketh of the cup of the Satan Gates!

One People, One Nation, One Browser!

Roto13
10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Firefox's extensions can do pretty much anything.

Lindy
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Attention Firefox Users : Your browser sucks. (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html)

Xander
10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I'll probably just download it (if I can) to see how sites work and stuff, since I still have to test on IE6 as sooo many people are still using it. But yeah. Remember its possible to use two browsers at once :D

Renmiri
10-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Firefox has got an annoying bug with Flash 9.0 which is a beaatch to fix. I might have to go IE on my desktop. FF works fine on my laptop though :D

Odaisé Gaelach
10-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Both Internet Explorer and Firefox are good. So I'll be downloading IE7. :)

rubah
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
poor unne, I share your . . . sorrow. My OS isn't supported either, and they're the ones that made it!

How do they ever plan to get 100% market share like that is beyond me :o

bipper
10-19-2006, 11:19 PM

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
I already downloaded IE7. Its pretty cool. Almost exactly like Firefox. Except for a bunch of things though. I like it. :bigsmile: Firefox is still better though.

Yamaneko
10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Attention Firefox Users : Your browser sucks. (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html)
So I'm guessing you use Opera. That's a good browser too. :)

The performance tests are skewed because IE components are prefetched while Windows is still loading, so faster startup times and smaller memory footprints are to be expected since they only account for the portions that are loaded once you launch the application through the desktop. I will say that Firefox has gotten a bigger footprint over the last few releases, though. I hope to see some changes with the 2.0 release.

Sefie1999AD
10-20-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm not really interested in IE7. I think I'll just stick to the Firefox browser for now.

fantasyjunkie
10-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm already used to Firefox. Nothing against IE but I'm happy with what I have right now :)

Dr Unne
10-20-2006, 12:44 AM

The performance tests are skewed because IE components are prefetched while Windows is still loading, so faster startup times and smaller memory footprints are to be expected since they only account for the portions that are loaded once you launch the application through the desktop. I will say that Firefox has gotten a bigger footprint over the last few releases, though. I hope to see some changes with the 2.0 release.

DFTT. That link is a bunch of strawman arguments debunking claims no knowledgeable person would make.

Yamaneko
10-20-2006, 01:02 AM
What does DFTT mean?

Leeza
10-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Digital Forensic Tool Tesing. :)

or

Don't Feed the Troll. :)

TheSpoonyBard
10-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I was using Firefox until I downloaded version 2. Now none of my themes are compatible and so it looks horrible. There aren't any I like for version 2 yet, so I'm using IE7 now. All I need to do is sort out the blurry text and I'm good to go.

EDIT: Another good thing is Alt+S is still the shortcut for Post Message. In FFv2 it open the History menu.

Fate Fatale
10-20-2006, 01:48 AM
I dunno really... I like IE but I've never really tried firefox... so I'd have to try it.. also, I've not heard or looked into IE7 much...

rubah
10-20-2006, 02:55 AM
I was using Firefox until I downloaded version 2. Now none of my themes are compatible and so it looks horrible. There aren't any I like for version 2 yet, so I'm using IE7 now. All I need to do is sort out the blurry text and I'm good to go.

EDIT: Another good thing is Alt+S is still the shortcut for Post Message. In FFv2 it open the History menu.

2 hasn't been offically released. Wait a while yet :p

Cipher
10-20-2006, 03:08 AM
They started using IE7 at one of the Offices where I was temping...and I HATED IT! I can't stand the direction that Microsoft is taking file menus in... yeah it's got tabbed browsing, but it's just disgusting to look at.

Firefox Forever!

escobert
10-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Uhh why would I download IE anything?

Xaven
10-20-2006, 03:43 AM
I won't get it until Windows Update or something makes me.

DFTT. That link is a bunch of strawman arguments debunking claims no knowledgeable person would make.
I agree with Professor Unne.

Fire_Emblem776
10-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Im just happy with my Firefox ^_^ Downloads are less of a hassle now.

Lindy
10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah man, no knowledgeable person would ever enquire about the memory usage of a browser, or whether it could support the webpages you're viewing.

........................................__......................................................
.................................,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,..................................................
...........................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,..........................................
......................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,......................................
..................,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.....................................
................;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\....................................
................\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/...........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,................................
.................\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*.............`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,...............................
...................\llllllllllll,-~*........................)_-\..*`*;..)..............................
.....................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................../...............................
.....................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;.................../.\..............................
.................../.../..../..../..,-,..*~,.`*~*..................*...\.............................
...................|.../.../..../.*`...\................................)....)¯`~,....................
...................|./..../..../........).........)`*~-,............../.....|..)...`~-,..............
.................././.../....,*`-,.....`-,....*`....,---......\...../...../..|..........¯```*~-,,,,
.................(............)`*~-,.....`*`.,-~*.,-*.......|.../..../..../...............\..........
..................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*.............|.,*...,*....|.................\.........
......................*,.........`-,....)-,..................,-*`...,-*.....(`-,..............\........
........................f`-,........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*.....,-*......|....`-,...............\.......

NorthernChaosGod
10-23-2006, 10:58 PM

Attention person who is very gullible.

okay let me break this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif down for you.

Myth - "Firefox and Mozilla are the same thing" - Example

Nobody credible said that. He linked to phased. WHAT THE /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. At no point does firefox or mozilla claim to be the same, only some kids on the net.

Myth - "Firefox and Mozilla are Not for Profit" - Example

Oh really? Show me the page where you pay for firefox or mozilla. Infact, show me anything that suggests that you have to pay for the better browser?

Myth - "Firefox has lower System Requirements than Internet Explorer" - Example

You moron. Firefox did not claim to have lower system requirement, it claimed to use less system memory (in your source)...Different thing retard...Infact, I've got the proof right here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/reaper2k4/mmk/idiot.jpg
Image removed due to obscene words, but you can still click the link to see it.

Myth - "Firefox is the Fastest Web Browser" - Example

Again, you can't quote the firefox website, instead, you quote somebody elses site which promotes it, yet with your little internet explorer requirements thing, yuo went straight to the fucking microsoft website. Good job retard. Again with the bad sources.

Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 6" - Example

This is hilarous. His little blurb about components not beling loaded at startup is bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Why do you think that you can browse the web by open explorer.exe? ROFL.

Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 7" - Example

Same /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. Same components can be loaded at startup with no problem, infact, if they aren't, its just another case of bad programming by micro/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Mozilla" - Example

Again with the poor sources, on top of the fact that the research data was done by an independant source. Point to me where firefox claimed this.

Myth - "Firefox Achieved 10% Market Share in 2005" - Example

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3500691
My source shows 10+%... Throw mozilla in, and its as high as 13, so which one of us is wrong? Both of us. The sources aren't reliable.

Myth - "Firefox Achieved 150 million downloads (2-2006)" - Example

...even if you take off your /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif 20 million, thats 130 million downloads.

Myth - "Firefox Achieved 20% Market Share in Europe (1-2006)" - Example

Bad source, bad data bad target. It seems to me all your "myths" are comming from one pro-firefox website and your responses from various anti-firefox websites....

Myth - "Firefox is Secure" - Example

Yeah sure...130...what a load of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, again with your crap sources, hwoever, I do have myself a reliable resource, partners of symantec (you know...the worlds largest anti-virus corp....)
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,109278,00.html

Firefox: 17
IE: 24

again with your pro maths.

I'm not going to go on...your article is full of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and contains almost No valid remarks. Good day.

http://www.makemeking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=436353&postcount=12

Rostum
10-27-2006, 12:14 AM
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6129626.html?tag=nl.e589

rubah
10-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Firefox 2.0's memory usage seems much better, from a short study of the numbers of mem usage and VM size today. It'll take more experimenting and watching, but it seems to be hovering around 70mb with three tabs after several hours.

as someone that's been plagued with this problem for a while, this is a welcome development.

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Sounds about right. How much memory are you swapping?

rubah
10-27-2006, 02:59 AM
I'd have to know what that meant to be able to tell you!

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 02:59 AM
How much is your pagefile usage? How much RAM do you have?

rubah
10-27-2006, 03:03 AM
512 mb ram, I'm not sure how big my page file will stretch, but it's at about 420mb right now.

Firefox used to get over 100mb of vm size much quicker than this though xD

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 03:06 AM
That's a big pagefile. It's best to set a static pagefile, though. You don't want Windows defining how much it needs. 1.5x the size of your total system RAM seems to be the consensus.

rubah
10-27-2006, 03:08 AM
well, that would be like 750mb anyways, wouldn't it, yams xD

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 03:11 AM
No, that's how much space you set aside. You won't be swapping the total amount. Letting Windows decide how big to make the pagefile will only increase the amount of times needed to access the hard disk.

For example. I have around 1500MB reserved for a pagefile on two seperate partitions on my second HDD. One for my Linux install and one for my Windows install. The size never changes, however, I never swap the full ammount. The highest I get is probably close to 1GB when playing games.

Araciel
10-27-2006, 03:14 AM
IE has always been lame to me...i dunno why, it does the job and is widely supported...i just love the foxyfire

Dr Unne
10-27-2006, 04:00 AM
1500MB swap partition? Or two 750MB, one for Linux and one for Windows? A 1500MB swap partition would be enormous. I thought the 1.5 x RAM size idea sort of stops being applicable once you get around 512MB of RAM. I have 2GB of RAM and I have a 512MB swap partition which I very rarely even touch. Granted I don't play games. But I very rarely even go anywhere near 1GB memory usage, and I really abuse my machine. I know of people who don't have a swap partition at all who have less RAM than I do. http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management is a good writeup on how the Linux kernel manages RAM.

Granted I don't use Windows. But multitasking in Windows is already so bad I don't really know if the size of your pagefile really matters.

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Two 1.5GB partitions. I don't really need it under Linux, but Windows likes to scratch the disk. In fact, while I get initial pagefile usage of about 80MB at boot in Windows, all my boot stuff under Linux is run off the RAM. Windows is terrible at memory management.

Dreddz
10-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I use IE anyway. So yeah Ill be downloading.