PDA

View Full Version : Sound Help

Leeza
10-19-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm having trouble getting sound on my computer at work. I had a DVD burner installed on it at the end of last week and I don't remember if I logged in to my radio station again after that so I can't be sure if I had any sound afterwards. I know I had it before.

Anyway, could the DVD burner being installed have anything to do with my sound disappearing? The sound is intergrated so it's not like I can replace a sound card, but I checked all of the hardware and everything came back as functionally properly. I replaced my speakers as well so they are not the problem. Anyone have any ideas? I can't call in the Tech guy until one of the managers gets back and he's sick so who knows when that will be. I need sound!

Dr Unne
10-19-2006, 05:24 AM
The simple things are what should be checked first. Are the speakers plugged into the right jacks in the sound card? Is the volume muted in Windows? Is there a headphone jack on the front of the computer as well as the jacks on the back? If so test that too.

There's an option in the BIOS sometimes to disable the onboard sound/video/network cards. Those are used if you have a separate card you want to use instead. Might want to check that.

Leeza
10-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Yep, I checked everything that you listed in your first paragraph. Checking the BIOS is not something that I should be doing on my own though. That's what they pay the Tech guy $65 an hour to do so I have to wait till the manager gets the guy in and that could be a while.

Oh well. I guess I just have to wait.

Dr Unne
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
$65/hour to do that? Are you hiring? :(

Leeza
10-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Yes, doing that is part of it. He did come in on Friday and fix my sound, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong other than saying that something was corrupt. I think he might have screwed something up while installing my DVD burner. I don't think we're hiring. :)

crono_logical
10-22-2006, 01:37 PM
We charge £45 an hour where we work for computer/networking/telephony support :p