PDA

View Full Version : Just how smart are they?

Vincent, Thunder God
10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
What's the smartest thing your pet has done? This is specifically geared towards cats and dogs, but if another type of pet's story is relative go ahead.
Also, how smart do you see dogs and cats to be? The general consensus is that dogs only mature to a two and a half year old human's intelligence, but sometimes I don't really agree.
One day my dog hadn't had a meal in some time, and we forgot about it, so she picked up a tissue from the bathroom garbage can (I assume; it could have been from somewhere else) and put it in here food-bowl, then whined. It can't be a coincidence because she's done it more than once since then. (Not that we don't feed her enough; she seems to get hungry between meal times.)

Noctivagus
10-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Mine told me little Jimmy had fallen down the well.. does that count?

On a serious note:
My dog stopped me falling down the stairs.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
My old dog's a freakin moron. It ran into my beautiful Mitsubishi when parked and put a big old dent in the bonnet.

BUT, the little sheltie the family has now is a really bright dog. He's 3 months old and already knows, sit, come here, fetch, and his name.

Vikeve
10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
My dog was an idiot but I loved her regardless.:love:

sephirothishere
10-19-2006, 09:52 PM
my dog thinks shes people.....

Jowy
10-19-2006, 09:56 PM
One of my dogs would let himself outside through the back door (we left it open a crack), and then walk against the door to close it again.

His female counterpart would jump inside of the bathtub and then not be able to get out.

Jack Russell terriers are adorable. <3

vorpal blade
10-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Had a cat once. Name was Cat. The brightest thing it ever did (apart from clawing at my legs if I didn't cover them and peeing on the couch ) was jet across the apartment and run straight into a mirror.

Christmas
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
My pet NANNY MANUS is a wastrel, He doesn't even know how to feed himself. :(

Rye
10-20-2006, 11:28 AM
My parrot Harley talks. He's very talented, but one day I fell down the stairs near his cage and he started laughing! He said "HAHAHAHAA!" and I cried. ;__;

Levian
10-20-2006, 11:40 AM
My father rarely hears the cat when it's meowing to get in, because he's in the second floor watching TV with high volume because his hearing ain't all that. So the cat manages to jump into a window, onto a swinging plant, hanging from the balcony and then to the balcony. That way she would be visible to him in the window from his chair. Whattakittie.

When my cousin was 7 his dog used to walk him to school (more often than not), and in lunch time my cousin would share half his lunch with him, and at the end of the day he would walk him back. They live in a very small community, so cars hardly ever pass by, maybe 3-4 in an hour. Anyway, this went on till my cousin turned 9 when the dog died of some disease.

Rocket Edge
10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Bark away strangers from the front-door. Other than that my dog really has no other purpose, but i still love the old fellow.

Breine
10-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Jack Russell terriers are adorable. <3

I had a Jack Russell terrier and he was a great dog. He had a Napoleon complex, though :D

Shaun
10-20-2006, 01:17 PM
My cats haven't done really smart things. They've done a lot of dumb things. I remember when Candy ran into a transparent 'window' on a tent. It was so hilarious. But yeah, I remember when Candy brought a dead bird to us. She waited in the porch with it in her mouth. Did she expect me to eat it or something? Guess she was repaying the favour.

Rainecloud
10-20-2006, 01:20 PM
My cat 'knocks' on her cat flap when she wants me to open it for her. She can get through herself by pushing her head hard against the flap, but she's far too lazy to do that.

:p

Little Blue
10-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Sadly, the smartest things my pets ever did was die... It freed up a lot of time that I was supposed to look after them, but didn't. I wish I did now as my fish died because my dad didn't clean all the bleach out of the tank after he washed it... so when the day after the tank was refilled and they were put back in, they were all dead:(

BarelySeeAtAll
10-20-2006, 02:35 PM
my dog has, umm, he has given me his paw, out of plenty of training!!!

Resha
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
The smartest thing my old hamster ever did was bite my father's hand and run away.

Yuffie514
10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
cats are smart, most specifically in the case of the 16-year old family cat:

* his meow is sounds more like a cry for his mom (like "ma")
* raps on the door or calls when he wants to come in
* always decide to choose a carpet than bedsheets to puke on
* some clean freak. will make a mess if there is other litters
with in the litter box

blackmage_nuke
10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
The fish know (or think) its feeding time everytime they see a person get close to the tank.

Vermachtnis
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
My cat knows how to let us (me) know when it's hungry. It jumps in the cabinet grabs what kind of food it wants and bats it around until she hits me with it.
When she ate dry food she would drag the bad to her bowl and knock it over. Which is stupid and smart, she knows it's her food, but she won't eat it unless its in her food.
She has some concept of time. She turns on my TV to watch Raymond :D

Mirage
10-21-2006, 05:07 PM
My late cat used to always look in both directions before crossing the road.

Shiny
10-21-2006, 05:26 PM
My doggy read a bedtime story to me while sipping tea.

Rye
10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
My father rarely hears the cat when it's meowing to get in, because he's in the second floor watching TV with high volume because his hearing ain't all that. So the cat manages to jump into a window, onto a swinging plant, hanging from the balcony and then to the balcony. That way she would be visible to him in the window from his chair. Whattakittie.

When my cousin was 7 his dog used to walk him to school (more often than not), and in lunch time my cousin would share half his lunch with him, and at the end of the day he would walk him back. They live in a very small community, so cars hardly ever pass by, maybe 3-4 in an hour. Anyway, this went on till my cousin turned 9 when the dog died of some disease.

Your dog pushed you in the river. :bigsmile:

Levian
10-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Your dog pushed you in the river. :bigsmile:

That was not my dog! and it was hardly smart either. :mad:

Rosenti
10-21-2006, 07:13 PM
my dog opens the backdoor himself when he needs out.. and we live in an apartment. Also if you go near him when hes eating or drinking, he will grab the bowl and JOG off in a "posh" way lol. Also he tells me when he is hungry or thirsty. He also takes his own bed, which is kind of like a huge fluffy rug, and folds it and puts it in diffrent positions for his suiteings:D Also he goes up on my bed and sleeps like a human with his head on pillow and such. And here is the great part! he puts his paw on the remote and constantly turns it to MTV... apartently he likes music :rolleyes2

karas
10-22-2006, 03:15 PM
my cat opens the bathroom door and also it picked on my sisters cat when it had a cone thing on its head

Fonzie
10-22-2006, 05:41 PM
My dog...um... knows how to dodge traffic? So far 2-1 :D

Sylvie
10-22-2006, 05:48 PM
My dog knows how to piss me off by barking for 20 minutes straight at some kid riding down the road on his bike.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
My dog thought of D-Day.

Jess
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Bullseye (my dog) jumped up at my brothers door and opened it. I think that was just pure luck, though. :jess:

No.78
10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Mimi used to be able to jump over the gate and run away. Nala's stupid and she picks fights with big dogs and gets herself hurt. Arni knows how to sit.

...Yeah they're all idiots.

DarkLadyNyara
10-24-2006, 12:18 AM
Mine can open my door if it isn't compleatly closed.

K. H. Kid
10-24-2006, 03:03 AM
My dog can go pee on command if he has any pee left. I don't know if that counts for smarts or remidialness.

Spammerman
10-24-2006, 03:16 AM
My dog knows how to take the sheet of my bed so it can dig into a foam hole it made.

Xaven
10-24-2006, 04:34 AM
My brother's dog figured out how to open our back door. -__-

My dog moans and groans (talks) to us especially when we cuddle and talk to her. It's funny.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-24-2006, 11:43 PM
my dog has, umm, he has given me his paw, out of plenty of training!!!

I was able to teach my dog tricks pretty easily, with some patience. She learned the following:

-"stand" (sit down and lift up her front paws)
-"jump" (stand on her hind paws)
-"paw-five" or "give your paw" (including pawing a moving soccer ball passed to her, though that took some extra training) and
-"roll-over" (though I have to get her to lie down first, and it was difficult to teach her due to her large size... it's easier for smaller dogs).

My dog moans and groans (talks) to us especially when we cuddle and talk to her. It's funny.

My cousin's dog does that incessantly, asking for petting.

Unfortunately he also pees all over the place whenever anyone visits the family's house. They put him in the garage when I was there for supper, and I went to say hello to him in there. As he whined he sprayed a figure eight around the whole garage. I couldn't help but laugh as I tried to appease him with petting, hoping he wouldn't start again.

A family friend's old dog would sing along to the piano.

Pink Floyd also recorded a concert at Pompeii with their unofficial mascot dog singing along (now on DVD). If I could find a video of that on Youtube, I would post it. It was really funny.