PDA

View Full Version : Bands that got you into music in general?

Venom
10-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Well before I became a Megadeth fan and WASP fan the bands that got me into music were Public Enemy and The Beastie Boys.

What were the bands that got you into music in general?

Sunny Day Suicide
10-20-2006, 12:55 AM
I started put listening to rap aswell. One of my favorite groups are public enemy actually. My brother also got me into Nas.

Rocket Edge
10-20-2006, 01:14 AM
2Pac, Floorfilla, Gigi D'Agostino, Bruce Springsteen, Public Enemy...

Ryth
10-20-2006, 01:15 AM
The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Johnny Cash, and Green Day. Eventually changed my mind about Green Day. :D The Beatles and Black Sabbath are still amazing though. Johnny Cash is the only country star I like, but he's not really someone I go and try and listen to or anything.

Jowy
10-20-2006, 01:27 AM
The Offspring got me into rock music.

chaos_ghost
10-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers got me into rock music. Any rapper that was good when I was younger got me into rap.

Jack
10-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Rage Against The Machine got me into rock music. I just watched the Matrix and thought "Woah".

Faris
10-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Metallica got me into metal, and Nightwish got me into the Female Fronted Metal stuff. (I don't listen to either of them anymore, strangely)

XxSephirothxX
10-20-2006, 03:27 AM
I was listening to The Beach Boys and Queen when I was four or five, and I still like them today. I imagine those bands are what led me to love classic rock.

Sunny Day Suicide
10-20-2006, 03:28 AM
The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Johnny Cash, and Green Day. Eventually changed my mind about Green Day. :D The Beatles and Black Sabbath are still amazing though. Johnny Cash is the only country star I like, but he's not really someone I go and try and listen to or anything.

Beatles and sabbath are two of the best bands ever in my view.

Reine
10-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Metallica and Nine Inch Nails, I heard Black Album and Pretty Hate Machine a lot when I wa 9 or 10, and it was so awesomely different from everything else id heard, and I loved it.

El Bandito
10-20-2006, 05:02 AM
I grew up listening to the Godfather of Soul, James Brown.

Though Little Richard and Chuck Berry get lots of credit too.

Cz
10-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I was raised listening to The Kinks and The Beatles, and they've both been influential in forming my musical tastes.

vorpal blade
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I would often listen to the music my dad would play, which turned out to be bands like Cream, Jethro Tull, the Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and the like.

Nifleheim7
10-20-2006, 10:40 AM
I wasn't really interesting in music until i was 13-14.Then i met a kid who was older than me and introduced me to metal with bands like Iron Maiden,Ozzy,Helloween and many others.
But now i hardly listen to any of that...

10-Breaker
10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Today I like Breaking Benjamins, but the answer is Linkin Park.

Meat Puppet
10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
For many years I despised music, due to my father bringing me up inside a tight bubble of the music he liked, as he has always been under the impression that his taste of music was carved from the bone of god. But I’m

ADVERTISEMENT

In 1999, a good fellow (he wasn’t really a good fellow…but that’s another story) saved music for me by introducing the sounds of several bands—with bands like the Ramones, Nirvana and _ having the most impact on me.

:yap:

Alive-Cat
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Nirvana was the band I grew up on, because my brother played it to me since I was a baby. Then, when I actually started getting interested in music, about eight or nine years old, I got into Oasis and Blur, Blur led me to get into Gorillaz. I got heavily into Nirvana again from about ten onwards, and that introduced me to all the Punk bands Kurt Cobain liked, MDC, Sex Pistols, etc., and from then on I classed myself as a Punk for the next four years. Then, recently, I've started getting into different stuff like My Chemical Romance (a band whom I thought were the last band on earth I'd ever like), and I've started getting more into The Misfits, and other stuff.

Rostum
10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Stuff that really brought me into the general appreciation of music were things like Nobou Uematsu (with Final Fantasy 7's soundtrack), Alice in Chains, Alex Lloyd, Days of the New, The Tea Party, Jeff Buckley and Mick Hart.

That was around the age of 14-15. A lot has developed since then in terms of taste and creativity, and my knowledge from my Audio Engineering course has defenately improved my ear a lot.

BarelySeeAtAll
10-20-2006, 12:09 PM
i think it was avril lavign at first, my other cousin got me into greenday, and then introduced me into more grungey music, like bls and pantera, steve vai, TRIVIUM!!!!and i always have loved evanescence

Nifleheim7
10-20-2006, 12:15 PM
grungey music, like bls and pantera, steve vai,

Um,sorry but Pantera and Steve Vai are not Grunge...

Novaris
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper.

Sunny Day Suicide
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM

LOL! Pantera was actually one of the bands trying to bring metal back and stop grunge.

Novaris
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM

LOL! Pantera was actually one of the bands trying to bring metal back and stop grunge.

Sadly they failed and the utopia of heavy metal was destroyed. The came techno and pop. :'( dark days. Dark days. I'm more of a fan of Hard Rock than Heavy Metal or metal as entirety. Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Dokken. The love. <3 I was also raised with this stuff. "Into The Fire, I've falleeeeen. INTO THE FIRE, I've fallen."

Rainecloud
10-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I didn't really listen to much music (besides the radio) before I heard 'Lene Marlin'. Then, I bought all her albums and began to search for similar songs. Before I knew it, I'd bought another five albums, and the rest is history.

Mythra
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
I've been listening to music for the vast majority of my life, but I would have to say Pink Floyd really got me into music deeply. Also, Opeth pretty much introduced me to all the heavy stuff. Children Of Bodom, Lamb Of God, bands like that.

Xander
10-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I was really into music when I was younger but the stuff that got me into it then was probably just cute male singers/boybands so I don't see it as being so relevant now. Then through my college years and stuff I mostly just listened to Blink 182 and kinda stopped showing an interest on everything that was going on with music, and any other bands.

I think recently though, for this era of my life and maybe in the past year or so, Green Day are the band that got me back into music. I dunno, after getting their back catalogue, or most of it, I just started using LastFM and finding more bands, and really getting back into music again. I wouldn't say it was just them though, I just started finding a few bands that made me find others etc and so on. Bands like the boy least likely to, of montreal, the go! team, helped me branch out my music tastes, I think.

I've pretty much always loved a lot of music though just went through one phase when I couldnt listen to anything. X_X Now I pretty much listen to music all day.xD

BarelySeeAtAll
10-20-2006, 02:21 PM
people!stop picking on me, i forgot to put more, like (maybe not grunge) guns n roses, judus priest, the quo, etc

Bart's Friend Milhouse
10-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I started listening to pop, then moved on to some better stuff, now I seem to like the classics (i.e. anything pre 2003)

escobert
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Green Day.

charliepanayi
10-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Blur, R.E.M., Radiohead, Daft Punk.

Sunny Day Suicide
10-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't really listen to much music (besides the radio) before I heard 'Lene Marlin'. Then, I bought all her albums and began to search for similar songs. Before I knew it, I'd bought another five albums, and the rest is history.

Me too. Hard Rock's the best rock.

Zeldy
10-20-2006, 08:53 PM
When I was a little teeny teeny girl I was obsessed with Vengaboys, and Aqua. Then I got into Blue. I was obsessed, not as much as I am with The Rasmus, but still, Obsessed.

It was The Rasmus, Greenday and The Killers (Smile like you mean it~) that got me into Rock music. Even though I now hate The Killers, and Greenday are urgh. Worse than Coldplay. Wait, no, that isnt possible.

Sunny Day Suicide
10-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Coldplay's cool. And so are the Killers. Greendays just awful.

Pete for President
10-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Blink 182 got me into punkrock (yes they did!) but the Apers got me in the underground scene which is way better than anything you see on tv these days in my opinion.

Madame Adequate
10-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Yeah, uh...

Britney Spears...

:cool:

Vincent, Thunder God
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Pink Floyd introduced me to the whole progressive genre, and prog is 75% of what I listen to now.