PDA

View Full Version : SCREAMING TIPS?

Angelz*and*Emoz
10-21-2006, 03:20 AM
alright, so i wanna be in a band, and i dont know how to scream..i try, but all it does is hurt my vocal cords. does anyone know how to gett it right? i wanna get it right and not wreak my voice. anything will be good (oh yeah, im a girl lol):D

Meat Puppet
10-21-2006, 03:29 AM
There is a DVD called <i>The Zen of Screaming</i>, by Melissa Cross. It may be able to help you.

Fuego
10-21-2006, 04:34 AM
I don't have any tips ... sorry.

I don't know how to scream without makin' my throat hurt. >.<

But it sounds cool when i do and add alittle pitch bend and reverb and maybe some distort :tongue:

Frozen Phantom
10-21-2006, 05:44 AM
you dont have to scream when you in a band...unless youre the singer, which I bet you are.

If you are, I got nothing

BarelySeeAtAll
10-21-2006, 10:05 AM
i love to scream, but thats just randomly, why dont you ask someone in another band that screams a bit?or someone in your band,otherwise,im useless and cannot help

Crushed Hope
10-21-2006, 05:44 PM
How about ... don't. I mean, I'm all for harsh vocals but screaming is pretty fucking annoying.

Black Mage FF1
10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
How about ... don't. I mean, I'm all for harsh vocals but screaming is pretty smurfing annoying.

How about..... you just don't listen to bands that have screaming then? Problem solved

And for TC. I dunno what advice to give. I guess you can try using google. Or you can go to local shows that have screaming bands and ask the lead singer for advice.

Oh and female screamer. Nice, you a fan of Walls Of Jericho by any chance?

Alive-Cat
10-21-2006, 10:28 PM
It just takes practice, but be careful. I recommend drinking a lot of fluids before singing. That'll get your voice to a more mouldable status.
It sounds a bit gross, but a lot of screaming is mainly done by the phlegm in your throat, especially in bands like Nirvana. In bands in genres like Screamo, it's basically the same principle.

Captain Maxx Power
10-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Could I possibly convince you to sing rather than indistinguishable screaming EMO nonense? No? Damn.

Well I'll give you some pointers. Rather than using the vocal chords you use normally you'll want to try and use the "false" vocal chords. They are generally found lower down on the neck. It'll be hard to get used to using them at first since you're natural instinct is to use your normal vocal chords when making any sound. To practice it, try breathing out slowly whilst saying a single letter (It doesn't matter, but A or E will work best). Consciously push your throat down whilst your doing it. You'll feel the vibrations primarily in the bottom part of your neck rather than nearer the adam's apple. Those are the one's you should be using to make "screaming" noises. I wouldn't recommend using your normal vocal chords for this. While you'll be able to make a more acute sound, you'll inevitably end up doing damage since the vocal chords aren't mean to make such noises for prolonged periods of time, if at all.

The New Kid
10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
The scream comes from below, from the diaphragm. If you use your throat, then you will fuck up the chords, and it will also feel very forced. It should be natural.

A good tip I found: y'know when you're completely exhausted, and you let out that big sigh? Practice that over and over, because that sound comes from the "false" chords already mentioned in this thread. Try to elongate the sigh when you get used to it. Then, when you've done that, change the shape of your mouth to get different sounds. For example, an "o" shape would get a deeper, death-metal growl. Opening your mouth really wide will get a higher pitch.

It will take a little while, patience and practice are key with all aspects of music though.

Hope I could be of some help!

Black Mage FF1
10-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Could I possibly convince you to sing rather than indistinguishable screaming EMO nonense? No? Damn.

I'm going to assume that you said "emo" because emo is in her screen name. Because saying that a band is emo because they scream is a very ignorant thing to say.

Skarr
10-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Just keep at the yelling and what knock and It'll come to ya.