PDA

View Full Version : I need some help - Open proxy thingy.

Breine
10-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, this probably isn't the first time you've dealt with this sort of thing, but I've spent the last two days being mad about this and I couldn't get a hold on any staff members in the chat, so I decided to post it here.

When I tried to go to the forums with my laptop a couple of days ago it wouldn't open the site. Instead there was a message that told me something about open proxies and whatnot, and a link was given. Now, I'm a total dumbass when it comes to things like this, so what do I have to do to be able to visit the forums on my laptop again (I had to use the family computer to post this :()? - Some help is very much appreciated! :)

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

o_O
10-22-2006, 01:18 AM
Where are you trying to connect from? Is it a university network or something like that?

Are you using any proxies?
You can check them like this:
Firefox:
[Edit > Preferences] or [Tools > Preferences]
On the General tab, click Connection Settings.
If "Direct connection to the Internet" is selected, you aren't using a proxy. Otherwise you are.

IE:
Tools > Internet options
Click the Connections tab, and then the LAN Settings button.
If you have a tick in any box EXCEPT the first one, you ARE using a proxy.

As long as you're not on a university network or anything like that (a network not owned by you), you shouldn't need proxies. So disable them in the screens above if you are.

Also, if you can replicate the error, and post the exact message, that would be helpful. If it has come from EoFF, one of the admins here probably knows something about it.

crono_logical
10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
I checked your IP you used in chat, and it's listed as a proxy on several blacklists. You'll have to follow the link on the error page, and follow the removal instructions for all the blacklists you appear on, after making sure your computer is clean :p

Breine
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, thanks for you help both of you, but I was somehow able to visit the forums on my laptop without doing anything... Hmm, it's certainly strange, but a very delightful surprise too :) I just hope this'll last now, but at least I know what to do from now on if the problem occurs again :monster: