PDA

View Full Version : When you see hobo's you-?

Monster Hunt
10-22-2006, 08:20 AM
What do you do when you see hobo's?

I give them money- they give you a life story in return. I missed the bus thanks to that the other day. But it was still cool. He said his bro was 6'3 and he got 85% in Woodworks (or material tech. to some) for making a coffee table but he would of got more (I suppose he meant get a higher percentage) except someone knocked his table leg in.

Er... yeah anyway... what do you/ would you do?

*spamation*

Reine
10-22-2006, 08:27 AM
We had a bunch of hobos living in and under the house before we moved in, took a while to get rid of them..

Xaven
10-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Giving a hobo money won't help anything. They're penniless for a reason.

Giving them food however, sure, you do that. :3

Meat Puppet
10-22-2006, 09:26 AM
This hobo tried to make me buy him some coffee once. I was pretty sure he was a hobo, anyway. He came up to me with this $2 coin and thrust it into my face and was like “buy me some coffee,” and to be honest, I got pretty scared and left without looking at his face or body any more than I had to.

I had my worst experiences with them in Wellington, though. Scary stuff. One of them came up to me and was screaming about god being an asshole, and how he was going to come down and rape my eyeballs from their sockets. Then she hurled this red plate at the ground and I was not the only one afraid that time.

So, to answer your question, I would probably get scared and try to leave as fast as I can. I guess I’m a bit of a wimp, but I can’t help it.

Sergeant Hartman
10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Have a chat.

Anaisa
10-22-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't give them my money, an I try to stay as far away from them as possible.

vorpal blade
10-22-2006, 10:00 AM
I got into a discussion with a n00bo (that's what I'm gonna call new hobos) once. He was wondering where the best place to be was. He was well-groomed (I think he just lost his home recently) and had a few bags of stuff so he could change. Nice guy.

Another man, possibly a hobo (he was dirty, in ragged clothing and had yellow teeth) tried to mug me, but by the time I figured out what was going on, he decided not to.

Another time, one asked for a few dollars so i gave him $5. I think. I'm quite generous when I've got money (but being jobless, this isn't often).

Most of the time, I tell 'em I've got no money (not a lie) and walk away.

Loony BoB
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
If I gave homeless people money, in the financial situation I'm in right now, I'd probably wind up homeless myself.

ama124
10-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Haven't seen many hobo's in my life :D

but i ussually walk right past them. Not to be mean or anything, i just ignore them. I couldn't give them any money, i'm broke :D

Noctivagus
10-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I gave one 20p for a phone call to the hospital. :D lol

Thats about it... rest of the time I tell 'em to f*** off...

Polaris
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I give them a coin when I have!

Mirage
10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Most hobos I've seen are druggies, so if I gave them money, it'd go to drugs, not food. Furthermore, there's organized begging around here, so it's hard to tell who actually needs the money.
I usually just walk past them, and no one has cursed at me for doing so. I guess they're just used to people passing by them anyway. However, if one of them would actually swear at me for not giving anything, I would definitely get pissed off at him.

Vaincast
10-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Money and clothes at least they're poor...and they smell but hobo's are cool:D ...in my opinion. On VG cats, Mr.Hobo is awsome :p

Bloodstreaks
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
There arent too many hobos where I live. Its quite nice to be honest :D

When I do see some, they stink of booze, urine and vomit, so its easier just to walk on the other side of the street and not make eye contact

Mirage
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Too bad he died :(.

Dr Unne
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
If you want to help, give money to a shelter or food bank, where it will really be put to good use. People begging on the streets are often shysters. People make a VERY good living doing that on college campuses here. Pretend to be a hobo during the day, then go back to their nice apartments or homes at night. Many people profit from the generosity and naiveté of others.

escobert
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I get drunk and smoke pot with em! and rap and dance and have a wonderful night! I'll video tape it some time. I hang out with a 1 armed hobo most of the time!

SammieBabe
10-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I gave money to this lady once, and then every time she saw me (she hung out around my work) she always assumed that I had money and would give it to her. I'll buy them a coke or a snack before I'll give them cash...

Lord Xehanort
10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
There's this one really scruffy-looking old guy on my college campus, always in the same faded blue jeans and frayed denim jacket with a white T-Shirt and a brown ballcap. He goes up there everyday to fish soda cans and bottle out of the trash. There are no recycling bins, so the campus lets him do it to 'promote recycling' (read: 'make room in the trash'). Some students give him part of their lunch or something... I don't make eye contact and put on a stern look.

I have a problem with him... Those faded jeans and frayed jacket and WHITE T-Shirt, which he wears everyday, NEVER have any stains. Now, one would believe that if this man was truly homeless, and not retired from GM (General Motors, a former auto plant that basically owned Flint back when it existed), that the WHITE T-Shirt would get stained within a day or two of wearing it. And don't even suggest that he washes it in the river, because the Flint River would make it brown.

Also, his scruffy-looking facial hair never gets longer. AND he has no oil spots on his flesh. I think he's just picking up extra cash, and free food, as well as killing time.

Fonzie
10-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Arranging Hobo fights ftw. Oh yeah, i'd be the one buying them something. Cause if i dropped the money for them, they'd probably spend on something like boozes or drugs.

Sweet Beloved
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I gave some of my own money one time to this one real pitiful looking guy near Wal Mart. I just walked out of the car and gave him money.
It breaks my heart to see that. I feel so bad for people like that and regardless of thier life story, I will help em'.

theundeadhero
10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Sometimes I go to Frankfurt and then the hobos always try to sell me pot :(

Breine
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Some years ago there was this hobo in my town. He stayed here for like a week before moving on. I remember that me and my friends had several conversations with him - he was very friendly and had many exciting stories to tell, plus his dog was cute :) I wish I remember his name and I wonder what he's up to now?

Vincent, Thunder God
10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Giving a hobo money won't help anything. They're penniless for a reason.

Giving them food however, sure, you do that. :3

QFT

Chances are a hobo will use the money for drugs. Food or food coupons are a better idea.

rubah
10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
When in london, we were walking through an alleyway, and one of the girls in our group nearly walked over a homeless man. She shrieked and ran ahead and was very upset "it was a lump of a man!"

we all laughed at her, but it was sort of unsettling.

Jowy
10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
I split my lunch with a homeless man at the mall one day, and after he gave me the abridged version of his life story, I offered him $1.10 for the bus. He called me a saint and took the bus downtown. He seemed more like a misfortunate person than one than some crackhead, and I wanted to help in some way that I could.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I spit on them, apologise, then repeat.

aquatius
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I see them as competition as I am poor myself.

ljkkjlcm9
10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I was in New Orleans with my family for my brother's graduation in May, and in the French Quarter some "homeless" guy came up to my dad and said, "Please sir I'm hungry." Without hesitation my dad responded, "Yeah? I am too." We ended up going in a store around there. Later down the same street we saw him stop in front of these two street performers playing the guitar, and he gave them a joint...

Don't give homeless people on the street money, ever. If they want a sandwich, bring them a sandwich. If they need a toothbrush, bring them a toothbrush. But do not give them money. They're homeless because they couldn't handle their money when they had some to begin with. You can't trust them to buy what they need, and they can't trust themself either.

I'd also like to say in America, unemployment pays more than some of the lowest paying jobs, ie minimum wage jobs. They could easily get some of those jobs, or at least go collect unemployment... some people live off of it and have apartments so why the hell can't they?

THE JACKEL

fire_of_avalon
10-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd also like to say in America, unemployment pays more than some of the lowest paying jobs, ie minimum wage jobs. They could easily get some of those jobs, or at least go collect unemployment... some people live off of it and have apartments so why the hell can't they?

THE JACKAL
No it doesn't. Unemployment is based on the pay you received at your last job up to something like ten dollars an hour, and that's a pretty high estimate from what I remember of it. That's not really much above minimum wage.

Each state has different laws governing unemployment. North Carolina, for example, bases the length of time you can draw unemployment off of the length of time you were employed at your last job. Two years evens out to something like 13 weeks, but you can apply for extensions, especially if you have kids.

Also, you can only go on unemployment immediately after your last full time job. Once it's over for that period, it's over.

And I've never met anyone with a minimum wage full time job who could hold down their own aparment. Must be crazy minimum wage in other states.

I avoid giving them money unless they back me into a corner. I'll buy 'em food if I can and they want it, and I'll drop a couple bucks for street performers if they're any good.

Jimsour
10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I rarely carry money with me unless I need it. so I dont give anything unless I have it; and thats if I have more then what I need.

Theres one outside the club I go too and every time I come out (drunk obviously) I will throw in a quid or two, I think he recognises me now.

~SapphireStar~
10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Last tramp I met he asked for 70p to get a bus to get to his hostel and I had 70p in my purse, just 70p and I thought why not! The guy nearly hugged me, he was so happy!

Giga Guess
10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe I'm colder than most, but I keep walking. 9 times out of 10 they're feet away from a construction site that's screaming for someone with 5 fingers and can swing a hammer.

Jess
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I feel sorry for them! Once I gave a homeless man a fiver, a lighter and a burger. :jess:

Zeldy
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I very rarely see them. I dont live in a city, so I geuss we don't have them.

Once though, there was an old man with a keyboard singing. Oh my god my heart went to that man <3 I gave him some change. He was hardly a hobo if he could afford a keyboard.

Thats all we get, people playing instruments :/
And dogs. They always have dogs.

Yamaneko
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I step over them on my way to a high-powered buisness meeting. I then jet-off to the Caribbean with my silcon-based woman. And I night I snuggle up aginst my money and dream about it all over again.

Psychotic
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
As anyone who went to the meetup in Manchester will tell you, I give them money.
As anyone who went to the meetup in Birmingham will tell you, I pretend they don't exist. You just don't bother Psychotic while he's posting pointless crap on EoFF from a wireless connection. You just don't do it. As if someone eating is more important than that.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
walked straight past him

The Shoeless Hobo
10-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I tell them that I've already given them my money - through my taxes.

Khaotic
10-24-2006, 06:58 AM
I don't even go outside to see them :D

The Unknown Guru
10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I dont give money to bums, but I DO give money/food to hobos. There is a difference.

Iceglow
10-25-2006, 12:43 AM
I generally do nothing but have been known to give a bit of change and once I ended up in a scuffle with one but that was because I was trying to get him to leave this girl I knew alone, she appreciated it but he didn't

Dreddz
10-25-2006, 01:21 AM
I give them some foreign money I dont need.

dodhungry
10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
There are not too many Hobos around the suburbs of Little Rock..and when one dose appear people just usually ignore them...

I think the funniest one though was the guy that had a sign saying he needed gas when he had no car in sight...kinda makes ya wonder

but I am kinda disappoointed in not seeing the "point and laugh" option so I didnt vote :mad:

Reles
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
I have never seen a hobo in Wichita or Lawrence, but while on vacation, I guess I've seen a few while driving. I'd probably walk by and hope they don't notice me.