PDA

View Full Version : Last PS2 games, any recommendations?

Pete for President
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Heya!

So here's the deal. My ps2 is starting to collect dust so I'm thinking of getting some fresh material for it. Unfortunately, I live in europe so FFXII is no option (yet).

I was thinking of these games;

Shadow of the Colossus, seems cool, but it's expensive even though it's not really a new game. 60 euro's is the price.

Bully, also seems cool, but doesn't hit our stores until 11 November.

Ace Combat 6 (Belkan War), I've always thought of buying an Ace Combat, but never did. I think I might like it, but it could be a little too straightforward.

Tenchu Fatal Shadows, Tenchu 2 kicked ass, 3 was allright but not that great, Fatal Shadows only costs 15 euro's.

So can you help me out? Any advice, comments and recommendations are appreciated!

Markus. D
10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Kingdom Hearts II.

forget everything bad/good/average about it, BUY IT! or. take away 48 or so hours of your life to play it for 2 days without rest...

oh dear another Squenix Game... if you love repetitive Button Mashing... Drakengard 1/2 (worth the torture... actually weapon collecting and leveling is quite nice... for the story).

KentaRawr!
10-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is an easy recommendation. I'd also recommend Okami.

Zeromus_X
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Dragon Quest VIII (for a relaxing old-school style RPG)
Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria (for a nice challenging RPG)
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (for a nice action-packed, fun RPG)
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (for a great SRPG)

I can't think of any more RPGs at the moment.

Jowy
10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
If you haven't played God of War yet, do so. It's easily the best action/adventure game on the system.

DK
10-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Guitar Hero is one of the greatest pick up and play games ever.

Also, Ace Combat games are great, but are totally useless once you've completed it, so you may as well rent it.

Breine
10-22-2006, 10:07 PM
If you haven't bought Kingdom Hearts 2 yet, then do so. It's a very enjoyable game that improves of the original in many aspects - and the first installment was a great game.

Pete for President
10-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Kingdom Hearts II, I enjoyed the first quite a lot. I was thinking of buying II, but IGN's review changed my mind a bit. I think I'll reconsider now!

Shadow of the Colossus is on the top of my list now, but I have no idea how long the game (approx.) and how good the replay value is. Can anyone tell me? Lasting appeal is one of the most important things I look for in a game.

God of War, I think I can borrow that from a friend. Valkyrie Profile seems promising, I'll check it out.

Keep those comments/recommendations coming!

Slothy
10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is on the top of my list now, but I have no idea how long the game (approx.) and how good the replay value is. Can anyone tell me? Lasting appeal is one of the most important things I look for in a game.

I'm not sure how long it took me to beat it the first time. I think the game clock said around 6 hours, but there were a few unrecorded hours in there where I would try to beat a Colossus and usually decide it was late and go to bed right around when I figured them out. My play time probably came in closer to 9 hours, then I played through hard mode and did a lot of the time attack stuff. Honestly, I doubt I'd ever really get sick of playing that game. It's one of a very few games that I can enjoy repeatedly.

Rostum
10-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm in the Europe area as well, this is what I have pre-ordered or bought that's coming out / has come out this year...

Rogue Galaxy
Kingdom Hearts II
Suikoden V
Xenosaga III
Valkyrie Profile II
Tales of the Abyss
Digital Devil Saga

And sooner or later Final Fantasy XII.

Lionx
10-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Okami

Rostum
10-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Okami

Yes, defenately. But I haven't seen any word of it being released in PAL yet -- which could mean not until 2007. =\

Dreddz
10-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Rogue Galaxy is out this friday in Europe, be square and be there.

EDIT - HOLY CRAP, THIS GAME IS PUSHED BACK TILL 2007 FOR EUROPE, LAST WEEK IT WAS OCTOBER 27TH. THE SWINES !!

Rainecloud
10-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I was just about to suggest buying 'Shadow of the Colossus' before I even entered the thread. Although it's a little pricey, it's an awesome game and will keep you entertained for quite some time. All in all, it's definitely worth the money.

Oh, and KH2, of course. ;)

Nifleheim7
10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I would also suggest SotC but maybe you should rent it first.I know (unfortunately) many people who didn't like it...You should also try Ico if you like SotC.
Another one (although a little old) is Resident Evil 4.The game is classic in every sense.
Here's a list of the games that i want to buy(PAL):
FFVII Dirge of Cerberus
Okami
Valkyrie Profile
Rule of Rose
Dawn of Mana
Rogue Galaxy
Disgaea II
Atelier Iris II (out)
Suikoden V (out)
Dragon Quest VIII (out)
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (out)
and of course
FFXII

Dreddz
10-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Get Ico before SOTC, not that you need to ( for story purposes ) but because Ico is a better game, a much better game.

Reine
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Like many here, I recommend Shadow of the Colossus.

Like Tsu, I recommend Drakengard 1 and 2 (If only because I myself, love these games to death)

Star Ocean 3 and Dragon Quest VIII are also very good games.

~SapphireStar~
10-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Digital Devil Saga and KH2 were the last 2 I got and I enjoy them ^^

Erdrick Holmes
10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Dragon Quest 8
Phantasy Star Universe

Rostum
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
EDIT - HOLY CRAP, THIS GAME IS PUSHED BACK TILL 2007 FOR EUROPE, LAST WEEK IT WAS OCTOBER 27TH. THE SWINES !!

Are you serious?! Man...

Well, all the Australian sites and lists still say 31st of October. I'm going to keep hoping.

I looked up Sony Europe's official website, they have a lot wrong with their release dates, very discouraging. It's hard to find any reliant information for PAL these days. =\

Reine
10-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Digital Devil Saga and KH2 were the last 2 I got and I enjoy them ^^

Digital Devil Saga is in PAL format now?

I had given up hope of ever seeing it..

Pete for President
10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Just borrowed God of War from a friend, at first I thought it would be a little bit too straight forward, but the more I progress the more interesting it gets. The mythology makes it interesting.

As for the games I thought of, I just got a job at a local game/dvd/music store, so I think that means a big discount for me >=)
I guess I'll wait a little longer for Bully and I might get KH II aswell.

Thanks for all the advice.