PDA

View Full Version : A 110v/22v problem, maybe?

theundeadhero
10-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Back in the states when I plug my record player into a normal 120v socket it works fine on 33 speed. Over here in Europe I have it plugged into a transformer to change 220v to 110v and it plays really slow on speed 33. When set to 45 it plays just a little too fast. I know the transfomer is powerful enough to handle it so I can't imagine what's making it play slow. Any ideas?

crono_logical
10-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Might be something to do with the AC power's frequency in the US is 60Hz but it's only 50Hz over here in Europe - if your player uses the frequency for timing, then that's going to throw it off :p I don't know how easily you can get a converter that not only changes the voltage but also the frequency :p

theundeadhero
10-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Might be better to find a different record player, considering how hard it could be to find and the cost involved.

Samuraid
10-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Absolutely right about the frequency differences. If you have any alarm clocks, they may also be affected as some models use the line frequency as a time-keeping signal. (although nicer clocks will generally have a crystal oscillator and/or radio control to maintain accurate time)