PDA

View Full Version : Where is....

Mogi
10-23-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm finally getting FFXI, and I was reading up, preparing (:hyper:), and I was wondering if any of you peoples could help me with a few things.

First of all, I've read everything I could find, and I read a lot about the classes, but I've never actually played the game, so I can't apply the statistics to basic knowledge of the game and magically know how each race, class, and so forth actually feel. So, what is the overall difference between the classes and races in the game? Particularly the beginning.

Also, what, by your oppinion, is the best starting location?

Oh yeah, I was wondering, can you delete characters? Like, completely erase them if you don't like how the game is working, and then start over anew, without having the deleted character?

And um, last one is , how do Moogles tie in with the game? I haven't been able to find anything about them, and that would make me cry/go into seclusion/poison all the tacos in the world... and the list goes on.
:mog:

Thanks in advance!

Markus. D
10-23-2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmgBvYlmHn0

gives you the gist of some of the crazier gameplay when partying (outdated vid... but oh well, the RNG is neat)

Rostum
10-23-2006, 11:07 AM
First of all, I've read everything I could find, and I read a lot about the classes, but I've never actually played the game, so I can't apply the statistics to basic knowledge of the game and magically know how each race, class, and so forth actually feel. So, what is the overall difference between the classes and races in the game? Particularly the beginning.

Play any race you think looks cool. Don't go by stats. Also, there's not much we can tell you about the difference between jobs if you've already read what you can on the net (by the way, it'd take forever to go into detail on the difference between all the jobs).

Edit: Very short summary of jobs...

Damage Dealers: Warrior, Monk, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Black Mage, Puppet Master (?), Samurai, Blue Mage, Theif, Ranger, Summoner (post-70).

Healers / Buffers / Debuffers: White Mage, Red Mage, Bard, Corsair, Summoner (pre-70).

Tanks: Warrior (not so much though), Paladin and Ninja.

Solo: Beast Master (can DD in parties pretty well at certain stages too).

If I missed a job I'm sorry, I've rushed this, though I'm pretty sure I've got them all up there though.

Also, what, by your oppinion, is the best starting location?

Which ever place looks cool to you.

Oh yeah, I was wondering, can you delete characters? Like, completely erase them if you don't like how the game is working, and then start over anew, without having the deleted character?

Yes, you can delete a character and remake one.

And um, last one is , how do Moogles tie in with the game? I haven't been able to find anything about them, and that would make me cry/go into seclusion/poison all the tacos in the world... and the list goes on.
:mog:

Moogles look after your Mog House (where you store your stuff, recieve gil from Auction House and items from other players, garden, put furniture, change job etc).

There are also Nomad Moogles with limited features around random towns where you need them. As well as moogles for events that happen in the main cities every so often (i.e. Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Summer, etc), that give you fun little quests to get some cool holiday items (i.e. Santa hats, pumpkin hats, witch hats, pitch forks, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Np.

By the way, you can change your job at any time if you want. Just go to a nomad moogle or your mog house, you keep the levels on the other jobs you've leveled though, so don't worry.

Mogi
10-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks!

And, although it seems to me like it would be the one of the most featured classes, I found close to nothing about the Dragoon class.

Can anyone give me any info on that'n?

Lionx
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Dragoon

Any specific questions can then be answered afterwards. @.@

Mogi
10-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks!

Del Murder
10-24-2006, 03:06 AM
In regards to starting nations, if you start in the home nation of your character's race you will get a special item. It can be helpful for low levels, but it isn't really necessary. For reference here are the home nations for each race:

Windurst - Tarutaru, Mithra
Bastok - Hume, Galka
San d'Oria - Elvaan

Fuego
10-24-2006, 04:01 AM
I would be sad if you poison'd all the tacos in the world :crying2:

/em praises S.E. for saving the tacos and having mogs in the game.

I think it really doesn't matter what race or nation you start in ... as said earlier if you start in the nation that your race is from you get a nifty item (i'm a Tarutaru from windurst ... i got a neat little ring. its pretty cool (+3 MP, +1 Agi, +1 Int) Windurst Ring.) I used it pretty much until i hit lvl 40+ ... now i am useing mana ring and genius ring (i think it is -this is off the top of my head i'm probly way off on that one)

But it is cool to have ... and better than having that space empty >.<

Markus. D
10-24-2006, 07:26 AM
the least confusing town is definetly Bastok IMO.

Rostum
10-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Whichever one you start off in, you'll get used to pretty fast.

Jimsour
10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Race isnt important usually, because equipment can make up for short fallings.

A Galka RDM only has problems when using "Convert" (switching hp and mp) because they have little mp and a huge amount of hp, and are usually better suited to roles like Warrior and Monk, but it doesnt really matter.

Likewise, an Elvaan has poor INT and thus isnt very suited to Black mage, but they can get an INT boost from gear.

Taru, not very good on the VIT and STR side of things are more suited to mage jobs and not jobs like Paladin or Dark Knight because of this, but there are many taru DRKs and PLDs.

Mithra and Hume are very similar, Mithra has more AGI making them decent Thiefs.

You see the way the trend goes, but most people end up breaking this because race does not matter.

As for jobs, someone mentioned it already what the tanking jobs and mage jobs and damage jobs are so I dont need to go into that, just be warned that not all jobs are the same and as they progress they become more and more individualised. At the start (Lv1 to 20ish) a Dark Knight can tank as well as a Warrior and a Red Mage can heal as good as a White Mage, but once youll not see a Dark Knight tanking past those levels and later a White Mage has a lot more capability for main healing (-ga healing spells, cure V, etc, tho RDM can still keep up and do). Just dont set your hopes on the one job, youll be leveling many anyway.

And I agree, the least confusing town is Bastok. Its three areas, mines district, market district, port. I still get lost in Windurst.

Ouch!
10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Every starting city takes getting used to. Each one is confusing the first time you enter it. Once you've been walking around for a while, you get the hang of it and going from point A to point B becomes second nature.

The only complaint I ever get about Windurst is that it's much larger than the other cities. It has five zones (as compared to San d'Oria and Bastok's four), but most people fail to take advantage of the tarus in each of the four main zones that can warp you to the opposite ones (Windurst Walls to Port Windurst and Windurst Woods to Windurst Waters). This is an advantage that no other city has, really, because it allows you to enter any of the areas in the city (aside from Heaven's Tower, but you don't go there very often anyway) before you do the quest that gives you access to all areas from your moghouse.

Pick whichever you think suits you best. If you really don't have a preference, go to the city where your choice race is from to get the special ring. They're pretty decent things to have early on when there aren't many options for your finger armor slots.

Mogi
10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
I've read a lot about them on wiki and a couple of other sites like EoFF, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be starting off in Windurst. I like how it looks.

What about Elvaan RDM Subbing THF?
That's what I was thinking along the lines of. I like the Elvaan's way of life, so I'm sure I'm going to be Elvaan, even with their low INT and so on. And I've always loved being able to fight as well as use magic, so I was going to choose RDM and THF for the ability to get lotsa gil. I would definately be changing to advanced jobs as soon as I could (but not rushing towards it) but just to start off RDM-THF.

But I was wondering something else. I haven't found it anywhere because it most likely explains it early on in the game, but I was wondering if when you start out, you can simply switch between the six normal jobs, and you just pick one that's not your main job as your Sub. I understand how the moghouse works and everything, but I haven't been able to find too much on class changing. Just a lot about the individual classes themselves.

Does anyone have the time to sum it up for me? Basically how you change your job and Subjob in-game.

Rostum
10-24-2006, 11:24 PM
RDM/THF probably wouldn't work in exp. parties, probably if you farm for items treasure hunter would be good.

RDM also don't melee in exp. parties. Early on you see a lot of them do that because they have the same mentality as you; I want a balance of melee and magic. But the truth is their melee really falls short through most of the game. They are mainly used to cast Refresh, enfeeble / debuff spells, help healing and help magic bursting off skill chains.

I know there's the whole argument that "I can be whatever combination I want" but the truth is the community doesn't really allow you to, so you won't get anywhere in the game.

By the way, don't take stats into concideration when choosing a race and job.

Edit: You change your job and subjob from nomad moogles and the moogle in your Mog House (or rented one in other cities). You can switch between the first 6 jobs, but you have to do quests to unlock the advanced jobs after level 30.

And you do a quest at level 18 that most parties will help you with, to be able to get a subjob.

Also, just out of curiosity, what advance job are you thinking of taking up? ^^

Del Murder
10-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Basically, if you want other people to invite you to your party, you'll need to have a conventional job/subjob combo. RDM/THF isn't one of them. When playing by yourself or with some friends you can do whatever you want, but if you want strangers to think you will be an asset to their team, you should have a setup that comforms to the consensus role of your job. Mages sub another mage job, and fighters sub /WAR or /NIN or /THF or something along those lines.

Also note that when you change your job you still keep the level you have with that job. So if you change from level 18 RDM to level 1 WHM and then back to RDM, you will still be level 18 for RDM. I think that's a pretty cool feature. :)

Mogi
10-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I've already heard from numerous people that RDM is pretty good at the beginning of the game, but once you get to the higher lvls (above 20) that changes.

As far as advance jobs go, I was thinking SMR Subbing NIN.

I like the abilities the NIN gets, and I've heard/read that, even though SMR are completely gear-reliant, they can perform better in big bursts, where as going for a long period of time can wear them down faster. I haven't heard too much about DRKs other than they are really good tanks and are pretty strong.

Changing Classes. At the start of the game, after you pick your main Job, can you go to the nomad moogles and change to one of the other six Jobs as soon as you start the game? Or do you have to get the other six starting jobs before you can switch to them?

Del Murder
10-25-2006, 03:43 AM
You can be any of the six starting jobs at any time.

There is no SMR job. You either mean SAM for Samurai, or SMN for Summoner.

Mogi
10-25-2006, 04:05 AM
You can be any of the six starting jobs at any time.
Thanks!

There is no SMR job. You either mean SAM for Samurai, or SMN for Summoner.

Thanks, I wasn't quite sure about that. I meant SAM.

Rostum
10-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Oh no, RDM is absolutely brilliant later on. Don't know where you were told it was bad.

Also, /NIN offers nothing for SMN. With SMN, you'll be wanting WHM to help compliment your MP (which is a huge factor for SMN), and give you spells like Cure (you'll be using these a lot), and other aid-spells.

At the start, SMN isn't used for much except healing and buffing. Later on they are massive damage dealers and the like.

If you meant SAM, well /NIN helps in certain situations. But for the most part you'd be subbing WAR and THF.

Changing Classes. At the start of the game, after you pick your main Job, can you go to the nomad moogles and change to one of the other six Jobs as soon as you start the game? Or do you have to get the other six starting jobs before you can switch to them?

Yes, as I've said a couple of times already.

Lionx
10-25-2006, 05:54 AM
I haven't heard too much about DRKs other than they are really good tanks and are pretty strong.

If you mean jacking hate and dying then yeah fantastic xD; Although i personally feel that a DRK could tank if they geared themselves to, DRKs arent the tanks, and are actually damage dealers.

Rostum
10-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Yeah, just check the small list I gave up towards the top of the post. It shows what job is in what category. So it'll straight away tell you DRK's are not tanks and they are damage dealers.

Khaotic
10-25-2006, 06:50 AM
SAM/RNG is good too ;o

Mogi
10-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh no, RDM is absolutely brilliant later on. Don't know where you were told it was bad.

Also, /NIN offers nothing for SMN. With SMN, you'll be wanting WHM to help compliment your MP (which is a huge factor for SMN), and give you spells like Cure (you'll be using these a lot), and other aid-spells.

At the start, SMN isn't used for much except healing and buffing. Later on they are massive damage dealers and the like.

If you meant SAM, well /NIN helps in certain situations. But for the most part you'd be subbing WAR and THF.

Yes, as I've said a couple of times already.

I meant SAM, sorry.

Rostum
10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
SAM/RNG is good too ;o

Oh yeah, forgot about that. And SAM/DRG is pretty good I hear, not sure if they only meant levels 20-30 or so, but whatever, jumping is fun. ;o