PDA

View Full Version : What would you like prayed for?

Chemical
10-24-2006, 02:03 AM
I'm going to New York City and I leave tomorrow at midnight.

Now a lot is on my itnerary:

Meet up with Scottie
Go to the House of Sacred Mirrors (Alex Grey ... does the artwork for Tool)
Party - Harty

But above all I'll be visiting a man at Times Square who has this list where you can add an item onto the list an he prays for it. Literally Checking them off one by one.

World peace?
The end of Hunger?
A burrito?

Let's make a list that I can give to him.
An EoFF PRAY TO GOD list.

The last time I will check this thread will be roughly at 10:30 pm EST on Tues Night. So get your requests in! (Pics/Vid to follow).

(I don't pray and/or believe in God either)

oddler
10-24-2006, 02:11 AM
I certainly don't pray but this sounds interesting. Have him pray for people who pray please. :eep:

Fire_Emblem776
10-24-2006, 02:57 AM
A burrito?

And rice balls for all:love:

Lord Xehanort
10-24-2006, 03:17 AM
How about praying for an end to organized religion? I'd drink to that.

KH-Cloudy
10-24-2006, 03:22 AM
pray for a better world!!

Lord Xehanort
10-24-2006, 03:34 AM
pray for a better world!!

Too vague. The person could pray for what they believe to be better, not what you believe. You need to be specific.

KH-Cloudy
10-24-2006, 03:39 AM
ok ok fine pray for better air to breathe in

Fire_Emblem776
10-24-2006, 04:00 AM
ok ok fine pray for better air to breathe in

Yes the skys around here could use a more natural color, instead of the orange glow:mad:

Mittopotahis
10-24-2006, 04:05 AM
Haha, what a legend.

I would like Planetshakers '07 prayed for. Giant youth conference in Australia. That people will go away from the conference a changed person through Jesus. Thanks :)

Denmark
10-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Pray for the New York Giants' Super Bowl chances.

Yamaneko
10-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Have him pray for himself that one day he'll figure out it was all a waste of time.

Mittopotahis
10-24-2006, 04:31 AM
I take a huge amount of offence to that. Praying is not a waste of time, its communicating with God. Religous people still have feelings, you know?

oddler
10-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Ask him to pray for a common tongue for the human species please. Is that serious enough? I can sense that I'm being ridiculed. :eep:

Levian
10-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Tell him a Norwegian friend would really like it if han klarte å bestå alle eksamenene og en viss bukse blir satt ned i pris.

Rainecloud
10-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Ask him to design us some half-decent mugs.

Reine
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Tell him a Norwegian friend would really like it if han klarte å bestå alle eksamenene og en viss bukse blir satt ned i pris.

It is now more than ever, that I wish I had taken the time to learn norwegian. :(

Chemical
10-24-2006, 02:17 PM

I'll have to print that one out.

And I'm accepting both serious and sarcastic prayers.
For me, its the experience of giving someone a list where they publically take a huge black marker and cross it off a list.

I appreciate both stances; though I myself don't believe in a conscious entity or organized religion. I believe in a higher power... but I think it's best dubbed "dark matter" or "dark energy."

(http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8114580690921328857&q=horizon+most+of+our+universe)

I'm adding:

"An end to 133t"

Bunny
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
New cheeses.

Lord Xehanort
10-24-2006, 05:42 PM
I take a huge amount of offence to that. Praying is not a waste of time, its communicating with God. Religous people still have feelings, you know?

What does it solve?
Nothing.

Who/what is he talking to?
Himself/the clouds.

What else could he be doing in the Big Apple to better spend his time?
Anything.

In short, he is wasting his time. Prayer is merely a feeble coping mechanism for when the tribulations of life are just too much for people of weak will. No, that is not my original quote, I give credit to my Biology 151 professer, Tom Cornell.

Chemical
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Now now, lets not make this into a religious debate.
We all have our oppinions so lets respect that and concern ourselves with the serious and/or hillarious matter of making this little old man pray for our fondest desires.

Bunny
10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
You're pretty much preparing to mock and take advantage of a man who is, quite possibly, mentally deficient.

Chemical
10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
You're pretty much preparing to mock and take advantage of a man who is, quite possibly, mentally deficient.

I am but a messanger.

I do not take responsibility fo the content. I am not insinuating or expecting him to be "mentally deficient." (In fact that's your presumption not mine) I'm interested in the performative aspect, the installation of oneself and the social commentary this instance provides. To say that I am mocking him would be a narrow minded assumption on your own part.
I'm merely interested in spectating the process.

My intention was thus:

I wanted to involve the internet community who does not have the opportunity to confront such a powerful image. I think the fact that the mere idea of this man bothers so many people is in itself quite an interesting social reflection.

If there are individuals who wish to mock this man, then I promise to deliver that message. Conversely, if there are individuals who wish to deliver a serious plee, then I too promise to deliver this message. I am but the divine mail(wo)man.

Crazy, earnest, honest, enlightened; between you and me I could never be 100% sure this is man is not the telephone to "God." I'm just interested in the dialogue, the context, the insane amount of possibilities of meaning this interaction could create.

Mocking? No.
Investigating? Yes.

Take Advantage of?
Hardly. How could you possibly take advantage of a person who is offering the service you are employing?

Yamaneko
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't think he angers people in the sense that what he does is true, but more that some people believe what he does to be true. Why can't I go to Times Square and start talking to an invisible being and not be as credible as this guy? Just because he did it first? Like you said, it's a social experiment, nothing more.

fire_of_avalon
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
At some point in their lives, everyone with a stick up their butt will take it out and quit stirrin' up trouble, even if they eventually put the stick back in. That is what I would like prayed for.