PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that Rinoa keeps flirting with Squall the Slughead?

Peter_20
10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Alright, "slughead" isn't meant as a strong insult towards Squall fans or anything, begging your pardon; but seriously, why does Rinoa keep flirting with him?
Let's be frank, everyone: Squall is NOT a ladies' man.
Alright, he's this strong leader guy, and I guess that adds a few points on his manliness scale; but except for that, he fits perfectly in the "scare-away-the-girls" stereotype.
First of all, during the first two discs he shows NO interest in Rinoa whatsoever: he even confirms himself that he knows about her flirting with him and all about it, and shows no happy feelings at all, just some "you're in love with me, who cares?" attitude.
Secondly, why would Rinoa ever fall for a guy who whines about his bad self-confidence and his unsecure feelings towards others?
Alright, she could pity him, of course; but I never saw a girl falling *in love* with a guy who pities himself all the time - that way of acting usually turns all girls into friends - at best.
And last, but not least, why does Rinoa never get fed up with him?
Yes, Squall does look good, but I know better looking guys who have got ditched just because they didn't believe in themselves, so I don't wanna hear no argument going "he's hot, why would she get tired of him?" or whatever.

I simply find it strange that Rinoa keeps hitting on him forever, despite his acting like the ultimate disser. :rolleyes2:eek:

Mirage
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Because he's cool and silent. Also, he's hot.

Rantz
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I always got the impression that from moment one, Rinoa adapted Squall as a "project", sort of like Myrna Minkoff does with Ignatius Reilly in the book "A Confederacy of Dunces", if you've read it.

Squall's attitude towards her could probably have worked in the way that she sees an even bigger need to "rescue him from himself". This behaviour can often be seen on women who are mature enough to have motherly instincts, but doesn't have a baby of their own to apply them to.

Christmas
10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Cause the game designer told her so. :(

Ryushikaze
10-24-2006, 01:26 PM
If you ever see the show 'Welcome to the NHK', you'll understand why.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
10-24-2006, 02:06 PM
Cause the game designer told her so. :(Pretty much. FFVIII's script was ridiculously forced and artificial in its entirety, and one aspect where it's most obvious is the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.

James16
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Mabey Riona thinks that cry babys are hot?? I don know squall was my favorite protangnist but he did throw a pity party for himself. To me he seems like one of those dudes who wants people to be askin him all the time..."whats wrong?? are you ok?" an he says "Nothin...Im fine" (even though he's acting like his dog died). An mabey Riona like to play in that pointless, mindless head game...:mad:

Cookie
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
She got him confused with me of course. But that problem's been sorted now. Rinoa l<3z Cookie. :D

aquatius
10-24-2006, 06:38 PM
They're both whiny and anooying, they make a perfect couple <3.

RoxasLeonhart
10-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Duh she likes him just like yuna likes tidus in ff 10

MJN SEIFER
10-24-2006, 07:55 PM
First of all, during the first two discs he shows NO interest in Rinoa whatsoever: he even confirms himself that he knows about her flirting with him and all about it,

Although he doesn't show much intrest to her on thoese disks saying that he showed no interest is streching it wafer thin.

Look at the scene in Deling when Rinoa loses to the Ignions. He obviously cares there. It is that scene that made me guess that Rinoa was the "interest" of the game,

He has dificulty because of his life, and I know because I've had experinces.

Sefie1999AD
10-24-2006, 08:27 PM
They're both whiny and anooying, they make a perfect couple <3.

:D I guess Rinoa found it attractive how Squall was a quiet and a cool guy, who still had a lot of talent and who was a leader guy. Besides, there's some effect of not wanting to be with someone that makes that person interested in you. "Try to run away from love, and love will chase you" is a phrase I've heard, and it seems to be true at times.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
10-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Stupid and annoying people are atracted by stupid and annoying people!

Serapy
10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Relating to the R=U theory;

According to the future, Squall as Ultimecia's knight, they got on so well to each other, Squall has been protecting Ultimecia for a while. Eventually Squall and Ultimecia have fell in love naturally. Which shows that the present days were slightly affected by the future.

It does make sense, I mean if it's true that Squall doesn't care about Rinoa in the first place, then why did Rinoa keep having interest in Squall without being realized that Squall doesn't love her? Or is it because that Squall is purely insecure, he doesn't seem to express any feelings with a passion that he actually loves her, because he's shy or something? So in the future, Squall finally got out of insecurity, and told Rinoa about how he felt, etc etc and finally you know now :P ... meaning the past was affected by this!

xD

~SapphireStar~
10-24-2006, 10:25 PM
but seriously, why does Rinoa keep flirting with him?
Cause she likes him, duh! Plus hes mega hot and moody ^^

Shiny
10-25-2006, 02:20 AM
FFVIII's script was ridiculously forced and artificial in its entirety, and one aspect where it's most obvious is the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.
Agreed. Squall may not be a "ladies man", but for some odd reason this makes him more desirable to Rinoa. I guess she sees it as "playing hard to get". The whole thing really doesn't make any sense as opposites really don't attract.

boys from the dwarf
10-25-2006, 07:29 PM
the line "your the best looking guy here" if probably a lot to do with it and she believes she can get him to open up a little. rinoas sort of immature so i guess she was just having some fun.

Prancing Mad
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
So who's gonna nail the R=U theory... I'm waiting for it lol (BTW I'm pro-theory)

Ryushikaze
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
So who's gonna nail the R=U theory... I'm waiting for it lol (BTW I'm pro-theory)

Well, since you asked- Rinoa is Mortal, Ulti lives in the far future, and there is nowhere near enough evidence to support the ludicrious idea.
Remember, you can't assume your theory true without evidence, and the taller the claim, the better evidence you need. And as far as insane claims go, R=U ranks somewhere around Batguano+2, so you've got a LOT of evidence to find. Go on, shoo. You better go now, it's gonna take you awhile.

MJN SEIFER
10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
The whole thing really doesn't make any sense as opposites really don't attract.___

They CAN actually! I think it depends on the people. I actually know people who can prove this fact and am even related to some (I don't understand it but it's true)_______________

rubah
10-25-2006, 10:18 PM
FFVIII's script was ridiculously forced and artificial in its entirety, and one aspect where it's most obvious is the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.
Agreed. Squall may not be a "ladies man", but for some odd reason this makes him more desirable to Rinoa. I guess she sees it as "playing hard to get". The whole thing really doesn't make any sense as opposites really don't attract.

You've clearly never stood between two magnets xD Opposites can attract as much as ones with the same polarity (in relationships anyways). All the quiet people don't pair off with all the quiet people nor all the wild with the wild.

It may be that Rinoa just wanted a boy after her thing with Seifer fell through. Or it might have been that she could see the person he would grow into. It's not just Rinoa that Squall treats tenderly after she's worked her magic on him; After lunatic pandora passed over Esthar, he promises a little girl in the shopping district that he'll make the bad stuff go away. Squall from before probably would've reassured them, but only because it was his duty.

Emo kids can't stay emo forever; Squall is not emo, but he can't stay a brooding figure any longer than they can.

f f freak
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
The whole game was forced really. This is a short description of rinoa and Squall's relationship from when they meet.
The Dance
Rinoa: Dance with me
Squall: No
Rinoa: You're gonna dance with me no matter what. *Drags Squall to the dancefloor where he learns to dance in less than two minutes

The weird train thing
Squall: Wake up
Rinoa: OMG it's you. *Strangles while trying to hug him*

The concert in FH
Rinoa: Do I look pretty?
Squall: Whatever
Rinoa: Wanna come to the concert?
Rinoa: Coolio let's go. *Drags Squall to the concert.*

When Squall saves Rinoa in the battle between Galbadia and Balamb
Rinoa: Save me
Squall: Somebody save her
Everybody: OMG we totally can't. We are all stoopid. *Everyone begins acting incredibly stoopid*
Squall: I can't believe this S**t *Saves Rinoa*
Rinoa: OMG Yayz

When Rinoa goes into coma
Squall: Why cruel world!!!!!!! iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

On the Ragnarok
Rinoa: I totally love you
Rinoa: Awwww

At the sorceress memorial
Squall: No I love her you can't. *Frees Rinoa*
Squall: OMG Yayz
*Big hug*

Laugh at face of Danger
10-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Strong and Silent ie. listens without interacting, perfect match for motor-mouthed Rinoa.

Rantz
10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
This is a short description of rinoa and Squall's relationship from when they meet.

Although I do think you're exaggerating it, that made me laugh. :)

f f freak
10-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I may be exagerrating it but not a lot. That is what it is like for most of the game.

Laugh at face of Danger
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Truly, no one appreciates soul mates any more, or lust for that matter ¬_¬

James16
10-26-2006, 03:00 PM
The whole thing really doesn't make any sense as opposites really don't attract.___

They CAN actually! I think it depends on the people. I actually know people who can prove this fact and am even related to some (I don't understand it but it's true)_______________

oppisites do attract but the relationship dosent last long usually becuase once they get over that first spark they realize hoe diffrent they are an the diffrent intersts they have an they eventually fall apart.

Captain Maxx Power
10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Women prefer men who are hard to get. Ladder theory says as much.

Peter_20
10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
The whole game was forced really. This is a short description of rinoa and Squall's relationship from when they meet.
The Dance
Rinoa: You're gonna dance with me no matter what. *Drags Squall to the dancefloor where he learns to dance in less than two minutes

The weird train thing

The concert in FH

Everybody: OMG we totally can't. We are all stoopid. *Everyone begins acting incredibly stoopid*

On the Ragnarok

*Big hug*You just made me laugh.
A lot. :D

rubah
10-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Women prefer men who are hard to get. Ladder theory says as much.

Link plz; I don't remember that site nearly as well as I feel I need to xD

Rocket Edge
10-27-2006, 08:55 PM
She flirt's with him because she's attracted to him, and likes the person he is, whatever faults he may have.

McLovin'
10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
The ladies just love the bad boys.

rubah
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
If that were the case, she'd have stayed with Seifer!

Rocket Edge
10-28-2006, 04:07 PM
QFT

Shiny
10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
You've clearly never stood between two magnets xD Opposites can attract as much as ones with the same polarity (in relationships anyways). All the quiet people don't pair off with all the quiet people nor all the wild with the wild. In my experiences most of the people who got along had similar personalities. They shared most of the same interests and had some of the same qualities. I don't think it's plausible to believe that polar opposites like Squall and Rinoa can get along so quickly. However, Rinoa was very forward; which seemed to be the only thing that progressed the relationship further.

The Crystal
10-29-2006, 12:50 AM
I was reading some posts and i just want to say that Squall never whines during the game. He have his problems, but he have them only INSIDE OF HIS HEAD. He is not always complaining and whining about everything, and he don’t want people to feel sad for him. He tries to HIDE his problems and emotions, not the contrary.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
In my opinion, most of people that say that Squall is a whining character, are Cloud fanboys/girls that cannot accept the fact that Cloud is the most whining and emo character in the FF series, and because of this, they try to “transfer” the title of “most emo character” to Squall.<o:p></o:p>

daggertrepe
10-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Well, it's in the script, so it's not like he has a choice...

Goldenboko
10-29-2006, 02:02 PM
If that were the case, she'd have stayed with Seifer!

She tried that and then Siefer fed her to http://www.ffshrine.org/ff8/fmvshots-disc4/01-the-sacrifice/00012.jpg
:P

I was reading some posts and i just want to say that Squall never whines during the game. He have his problems, but he have them only INSIDE OF HIS HEAD. He is not always complaining and whining about everything, and he don’t want people to feel sad for him. He tries to HIDE his problems and emotions, not the contrary.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In my opinion, most of people that say that Squall is a whining character, are Cloud fanboys/girls that cannot accept the fact that Cloud is the most whining and emo character in the FF series, and because of this, they try to “transfer” the title of “most emo character” to Squall.<o:p></o:p>

I still fail to see how Cloud and Squall are "emo". They are both whiny, not emo.

Breine
10-29-2006, 03:17 PM
People tend to fall in love with all kinds of different people for very various and strange reasons. I don't know, maybe she saw something in him that she liked. Everything doesn't have to be explained.

MJN SEIFER
10-29-2006, 07:21 PM

oppisites do attract but the relationship dosent last long usually becuase once they get over that first spark they realize hoe diffrent they are an the diffrent intersts they have an they eventually fall apart.

30 years is pretty good though!

PS: They haven't split yet.

IceAngel
10-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm lost on the 30 years part....

Anyways, I dont think Squall suddenly switched to loving Rinoa.... I know it sounds corny and all but feelings do grow all the time your with someone, whether its as friends or more. Rinoa just was more open about her 'crush' (if thats what you wana call it). I think I'm one of the only peeps that didnt find Rinoa annoying *shrugs*. No matter how many times I play the game, I dont think the plot was forced. I dont see how.

MJN SEIFER
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree with you more than anyone in this post IceAngel He didn't suddenly switch to loving her, it's just peopple are to ignorant to see the fact.

And I don't find her anoying, I like her aswell. The plot wasn't forced either.

The 30 years is a reference to the "Oposite Atraction" debate, everyone said it doesn't work and if it did it wouldn't last long.

~SapphireStar~
10-31-2006, 10:07 PM

And that has what to do with Rinoa liking Squall :confused:

Jimsour
10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
The Dance

The weird train thing

The concert in FH

On the Ragnarok

*Big hug*

summed up perfectly :cool:

In all honesty, Squall needed a bit of sarcasm to his character. He was too straight forward and flat.

Why did rinoa keep going after him? because no one else would. :tongue:

The Crystal
11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
I was reading some posts and i just want to say that Squall never whines during the game. He have his problems, but he have them only INSIDE OF HIS HEAD. He is not always complaining and whining about everything, and he don’t want people to feel sad for him. He tries to HIDE his problems and emotions, not the contrary.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
In my opinion, most of people that say that Squall is a whining character, are Cloud fanboys/girls that cannot accept the fact that Cloud is the most whining and emo character in the FF series, and because of this, they try to “transfer” the title of “most emo character” to Squall.<O:p></O:p>

And that has what to do with Rinoa liking Squall :confused:

Like i said, "I was reading some posts" and some people were saying that Squall is a whine character, and this is not true.

~SapphireStar~
11-01-2006, 08:17 AM
And again I ask what has that got to do with Rinoa liking Squall? All you've done is say Squall isnt a whiny character.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-03-2006, 09:52 AM
the other guys aren't as fit IMHO (H standing for humble)

scooby
11-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Alright, "slughead" isn't meant as a strong insult towards Squall fans or anything, begging your pardon; but seriously, why does Rinoa keep flirting with him?
Alright, he's this strong leader guy, and I guess that adds a few points on his manliness scale; but except for that, he fits perfectly in the "scare-away-the-girls" stereotype.
First of all, during the first two discs he shows NO interest in Rinoa whatsoever: he even confirms himself that he knows about her flirting with him and all about it, and shows no happy feelings at all, just some "you're in love with me, who cares?" attitude.
Secondly, why would Rinoa ever fall for a guy who whines about his bad self-confidence and his unsecure feelings towards others?
Alright, she could pity him, of course; but I never saw a girl falling *in love* with a guy who pities himself all the time - that way of acting usually turns all girls into friends - at best.
Yes, Squall does look good, but I know better looking guys who have got ditched just because they didn't believe in themselves, so I don't wanna hear no argument going "he's hot, why would she get tired of him?" or whatever.

I simply find it strange that Rinoa keeps hitting on him forever, despite his acting like the ultimate disser. :rolleyes2:eek:What, what and WHAT?!

Why did Rinoa go for Squall? She didn't, really - not at first. He saw her first, if you remember. He saw her and stared - mouth slightly open; he stared until she sensed eyes on her and turned to look at him. ...Perhaps he had watched the same shooting star go by overhead, she probably thought to herself... She pointed upwards - in silent question. He inclined his head slightly, still staring, as if to say, "Yeah - I saw it. Come on over." Her smile broadened; he had given her permission to approach him. So, she gladly accepted his invitation and headed on over to him.

The above passage is a description of the 30-second FMV in which Squall and Rinoa first see each other, at the SEED Graduation Ball. For those unfamiliar with the gestures/expressions detailed, I suggest you go and watch the scene again. A very short FMV, but a very significant one. In this 30 second scene alone, I was able to find several signs of interest on Squall's part. They're slight and subtle and easily missed, but they are there. Look closer, at Squall's face - at the unmistakable fascination written there. Look at the way he inclines his head - a small gesture, but a very significant one. With that nod, he consented to her approach. Rinoa didn’t just barge on over to him, completely uninvited, as some make out. She was waiting for a cue, for some sign that he wanted her to move closer - and she got it with that nod.

These are the minutiae of flirtation - which is how I would classify the interaction detailed above. In his own way, Squall was flirting with Rinoa in this scene. At the very least, he wasn't discouraging her advances, at this point. It wasn't one-sided; it was a silent exchange between two people. Squall was interested. She caught his attention.

Well, I'm now satisfied that I've milked that scene for all it's worth. :D People could accuse me of reading too much into things...but I would just as soon accuse them of being obtuse and unobservant, and of not reading enough into anything. The FMV graphics in FFVIII are good enough that these subtleties of expression can and do exist - but nobody seems to pay any attention to them! If it's not an outright declaration of love, it's not worth considering, apparently....

I'll continue my microanalysis of the ballroom scene tomorrow (and might even get round to the rest of the game; miracles do happen!!).

Darth
11-18-2006, 12:39 AM

I simply find it strange that Rinoa keeps hitting on him forever, despite his acting like the ultimate disser. :rolleyes2:eek:What, what and WHAT?!

Why did Rinoa go for Squall? She didn't, really - not at first. He saw her first, if you remember. He saw her and stared - mouth slightly open; he stared until she sensed eyes on her and turned to look at him. ...Perhaps he had watched the same shooting star go by overhead, she probably thought to herself... She pointed upwards - in silent question. He inclined his head slightly, still staring, as if to say, "Yeah - I saw it. Come on over." Her smile broadened; he had given her permission to approach him. So, she gladly accepted his invitation and headed on over to him.

The above passage is a description of the 30-second FMV in which Squall and Rinoa first see each other, at the SEED Graduation Ball. For those unfamiliar with the gestures/expressions detailed, I suggest you go and watch the scene again. A very short FMV, but a very significant one. In this 30 second scene alone, I was able to find several signs of interest on Squall's part. They're slight and subtle and easily missed, but they are there. Look closer, at Squall's face - at the unmistakable fascination written there. Look at the way he inclines his head - a small gesture, but a very significant one. With that nod, he consented to her approach. Rinoa didn’t just barge on over to him, completely uninvited, as some make out. She was waiting for a cue, for some sign that he wanted her to move closer - and she got it with that nod.

These are the minutiae of flirtation - which is how I would classify the interaction detailed above. In his own way, Squall was flirting with Rinoa in this scene. At the very least, he wasn't discouraging her advances, at this point. It wasn't one-sided; it was a silent exchange between two people. Squall was interested. She caught his attention.

Well, I'm now satisfied that I've milked that scene for all it's worth. :D People could accuse me of reading too much into things...but I would just as soon accuse them of being obtuse and unobservant, and of not reading enough into anything. The FMV graphics in FFVIII are good enough that these subtleties of expression can and do exist - but nobody seems to pay any attention to them! If it's not an outright declaration of love, it's not worth considering, apparently....

I'll continue my microanalysis of the ballroom scene tomorrow (and might even get round to the rest of the game; miracles do happen!!).

Great post. :)

And the part that's bolded is exactly right, apparently..

The Dance

The weird train thing

The concert in FH

On the Ragnarok

*Big hug*

Wonderful. You totally nailed it down.. You're correct! That's exactly what it was like!
Ignorance is bliss, as they say..

Darth Cid
11-18-2006, 01:08 AM
The Dance

The weird train thing

The concert in FH

On the Ragnarok

*Big hug*

Actually, this is the truth, you can break it down all you want. I did to try to get some logic out of the realationship but I couldn't. It was a forced relationship, Rinoa went all over Squall until he missed her doing that. In real life, I give relationships like those five years before the girl starts flirting with another guy, oh wait, I'll give it less than a year since if I remember correctly, Rinoa did the same thing to Sefier, and Seifer got pissed with Squall because Squall had the girl that formerly went all over him.

XandrewX
11-18-2006, 04:08 AM
I don't think so...It looks like a force one but you had to know that Squall is an anti social guy so the Squaresoft(FF8's creator) had to create a story line that Rinoa is the more initiative one.Because if Squall is it won't be such a anti social and you know...it doesn't work on Squall with an attitude of Irvine...

Darth Cid
11-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Well, I see your point there, true, Square did a good putting polar opposites together there; however, I do believe in this, and this I will always believe, Rinoa could have been a little less assertive, but that's my humble opinion.

MJN SEIFER
11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I think her assertivness was perfect.

That's who people like Squall wou'ld go for.

Muse
11-21-2006, 09:09 PM
If you're a happy person, you attract happy people. If you're a moody immature jerk, you attract other moody immature jerks.

I hate the world. :(

MJN SEIFER
11-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Not so. You maybe FRIENDS with people of your type but the S/R can happen in reall life I know throught experiense.

Rinoa_Heartillly
12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Because Squall is hot, and silent and fun to mess with and has prettah hair! Also sometimes opposites attract.

Heero Yuy NWZC
12-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Squall was a dynaimc character in this plot. As the story went on, he gradually, changed, slowly but surely. He became to like being a leader more often even though he still complained about it in his head. There was less and less of that while the story continued on.

Next, he actually did open more throughout the story. At first he would rarely say anything, not really caring one bit. But later on he began to think about it and decided that a little ecxpression of emotion isn't too bad.

As for the relationship, Rinoa went for Squall, it's as simple as that. You could waste your time trying to think of reasons, but you'll never knwo that real answer. Even after Rinoa had given up hope on Seifer due to the belief that he was dead, Squall was there and she felt comfortable around him. You can tell through their conversations. She began to have a liking towards Squall and in the end it felt to her that he was the guy for her. Although Squall did not think the same as quickly as she did, he did have a special feeling about her. Why would he carry her across the tracks of FH to try and help her if he didn't? If you can't see that this relationship happened through their own will even though it is a script, then I suggest you try to look just a bit more deper into the matter then just the events that occur.

XandrewX
12-09-2006, 05:33 AM
Cause the game designer told her so. :(

Take it as a joke or what but it's true :eep:

Oh and...why Rinoa flirts Squall so much is ause she felt that Squall is thetype of guy for her that's all..there's nothing to be argue about if we see it at Christmas way...that is Squaresoft wanted it to be that way...:)

TyphoonThaReapa
12-14-2006, 06:12 PM

So basically, Your calling Squall a P.I.M.P. In this case, The Silent P.I.M.P....... Nice

New Orleans Louisiana 7th Ward Hard Head 4 Life!!!

chrisfffan
12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Opposites attract

Dr. Acula
12-15-2006, 02:20 AM
The Dance

The weird train thing

The concert in FH

On the Ragnarok

*Big hug*

And that, my friends, is EXACTLY how it happened.

TyphoonThaReapa
12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
All video games are influnced by our reality maybe the reason why Rinoa is attracted to Squall, which are in fact total opposites, is because the creator or someone he knows had a simular experience.

chrisfffan
12-18-2006, 10:34 PM
posted by Angel Wing

Squall needed Rinoa because of her fun loving and free spirited attitude, and Rinoa needed Squall because he was level headed and serious. So they complimented each other. The End.

I agree! opposites attract.

*~Angel Wing~*
12-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Pretty much. FFVIII's script was ridiculously forced and artificial in its entirety, and one aspect where it's most obvious is the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.
I TOTALLY DISAGREE!!! :nonono: :hot: :frust: :mad2:

YES!!! :thumb:

Squall is my favorite video game character ever!!! :heart: :love: Squall is not whiny or a complaining person at all. He's actually quite the opposite. He hides his feelings from everyone else because he is emotionally unstable and doesn't want people to get to know him from his fear of being left alone again. So the people saying that he's "whiny" and "complains" clearly have no idea what they're talking about. :nonono: I think people have to realize Squall has emotional problems, so he may seem cold and heartlees at times, but it really isn't his fault. Rinoa helps him recover and at the end of the game he learns to trust his friends a little more. :save:

Squall needed Rinoa because of her fun loving and free spirited attitude, and Rinoa needed Squall because he was level headed and serious. So they complimented each other. :heart: The End.

LoveArya
12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Squall needed Rinoa because of her fun loving and free spirited attitude, and Rinoa needed Squall because he was level headed and serious. So they complimented each other. :heart: The End.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yes!!!!:thumb: [!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!][!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!][!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!]

Heero Yuy NWZC
12-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Pretty much. FFVIII's script was ridiculously forced and artificial in its entirety, and one aspect where it's most obvious is the relationship between Squall and Rinoa.

Squall is my favorite video game character ever!!! :heart: :love: Squall is not whiny or a complaining person at all. He's actually quite the opposite. He hides his feelings from everyone else because he is emotionally unstable and doesn't want people to get to know him from his fear of being left alone again. So the people saying that he's "whiny" and "complains" clearly have no idea what they're talking about. :nonono: I think people have to realize Squall has emotional problems, so he may seem cold and heartlees at times, but it really isn't his fault. Rinoa helps him recover and at the end of the game he learns to trust his friends a little more. :save:

I have one thing to say: ...THANK YOU!!! :exdee:

TyphoonThaReapa
12-19-2006, 05:42 PM

I was reading some posts and i just want to say that Squall never whines during the game. He have his problems, but he have them only INSIDE OF HIS HEAD. He is not always complaining and whining about everything, and he don’t want people to feel sad for him. He tries to HIDE his problems and emotions, not the contrary.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
In my opinion, most of people that say that Squall is a whining character, are Cloud fanboys/girls that cannot accept the fact that Cloud is the most whining and emo character in the FF series, and because of this, they try to “transfer” the title of “most emo character” to Squall.<O:p></O:p>

Looks like Angel Wing found the needle in the haystack. I just got one they to say...... Angel Wing will you marry me?

*~Angel Wing~*
12-20-2006, 01:07 AM
posted by Angel Wing

Squall needed Rinoa because of her fun loving and free spirited attitude, and Rinoa needed Squall because he was level headed and serious. So they complimented each other. The End.

I agree! opposites attract.

Yes!!!!:thumb: [!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!][!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!][!] / message [/!][!] sig [/!]

You're welcome. :riiight: I was just saying what I really thought. :)

Looks like Angel Wing found the needle in the haystack. I just got one they to say...... Angel Wing will you marry me?
Aw that's really sweet of you, but I'm already in love with Outer Heaven, :love: but I'll definetly keep you on my list in case things don't work out, okay? ;) :D

Besimudo
12-20-2006, 02:20 AM
The dance scene captivated Squall. But then SHE ran away. This is never good for the male ego. Men want to know that the woman is loyal and so on ... wether the male is loyal is another argument.

When Squall found out that Rinoa frolicked with Seifer last summer his interest decreased. It was only until he felt obliged that he crumbled and thought what the heck.

Squall saw Rinoa as a bit of a player. Squall being raised by a woman, needed a strong bond relationship. Had he been raised by a man he might have been more utilitarian in his approaches.

Anyhow, that is how it is. ;)

At least Rinoa wasn't trying to fill the shoes of a dead girl like Tifa had too. Cloud was more in the head than Squall, even though Cloud should have had his life worked out by 21. Squall was still a teenager.

Heero Yuy NWZC
12-20-2006, 03:25 AM
You're welcome. :riiight: I was just saying what I really thought. :) I know, but it took a while for someone to acutally say it and you beat me to the punch. Glad to see someone was on the ball and got it there sooner. ;) So again, thanks.

Ryushikaze
12-20-2006, 03:41 AM
The dance scene captivated Squall. But then SHE ran away. This is never good for the male ego. Men want to know that the woman is loyal and so on ... wether the male is loyal is another argument.

Being ditched isn't good for the ego of either gender.

When Squall found out that Rinoa frolicked with Seifer last summer his interest decreased. It was only until he felt obliged that he crumbled and thought what the heck.

Possibly, though his attitude about relationships certainly didn't help his lack of interest.

Squall saw Rinoa as a bit of a player. Squall being raised by a woman, needed a strong bond relationship. Had he been raised by a man he might have been more utilitarian in his approaches.

Anyhow, that is how it is. ;)

I think Cloud's desire for a strong bond might have more to do with abandonment issues than who raised him.

At least Rinoa wasn't trying to fill the shoes of a dead girl like Tifa had too. Cloud was more in the head than Squall, even though Cloud should have had his life worked out by 21. Squall was still a teenager.

Tifa didn't have to fill the shoes of a dead girl. Cloud's first love was Tifa, not Aerith, and his love for Aerith beyond filial is doubtful.

Of course, Cloud had about as much time to get things together as Squall (Remember, he lost five years to Hojo's assholery), and to be frank, just a bit more to deal with (though he did have the benefit of being older when dealing with them, I'll admit).

Lord Rimoah
12-20-2006, 03:46 AM
I think you Yahoos fell for Rinoa easier than Squall could because you wanted to... This story was crammed down yer throat harder than the last 'hot dog' at a wiener contest and it still didn't drive all the way home because as much as you wanna puke at the OBVIOUS idiocy of how this story flows, you basically choke on it because you're shoved from one idiotic circumstance after another just like Squall is shoved into the ditzy girl's arms.

But that's just MY opinion.

Honestly, can ANYONE HONESTLY say that the way that Squall and Rinoa 'fall in love' is really 'romantic' and 'true love' and not forced? I mean, c'mon! I got better chemistry watchin' Aunt May and Doc Ock go out on a date! At least they wanted each other!

Squall clearly doesn't want Rinoa and Rinoa is clearly THROWING herself at him like a the dime-store tramp that she is, and after all her childish bravado as 'Leader' of the "Timber-Puppies" she suddenly plays this damsel in distress bit.

Reminds me of the first Mortal Kombat movie. Y'know... When Sonja Blade makes her first appearance in the club huntin' down Kano, right? People are just dancin' and she dishin' out the L.A.P.D. Hospitality on people who got nuthin' to do with who she's after... But wait! Then at the end she screaming, high-pitched like Faye Raye except higher and from the back of the throat when Shang-Tsung takes her thru the portal.

Much like Lunatic Pandora and the like. I'm done fer now... See ya later Snoozers....

TyphoonThaReapa
12-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Aw that's really sweet of you, but I'm already in love with Outer Heaven, :love: but I'll definetly keep you on my list in case things don't work out, okay? ;) :D

(sign) Well,.....what the hell. (takes offer)

*~Angel Wing~*
12-26-2006, 04:40 PM

:D

Lord Rimoah
12-27-2006, 11:03 PM

:D

What the HELL are you two yappin' about? I thought this was about Squall and didn't he shank (more ways than one) that tramp Rinoa!?!?!?!!!!

Kamiko
12-29-2006, 07:08 AM
It's one of the those weird attachments straight girls have towards gay men.
You know I'm right.

Dr. Acula
12-29-2006, 08:10 AM
You know I'm right.

That's pretty sad.

scooby
12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
The dance scene captivated Squall. But then SHE ran away. This is never good for the male ego. That is so totally what happened! Thank you!

Rinoa had Squall out there on the dance floor; she had him, hook, line and sinker. He was spellbound - but then she took off, and the spell was broken. I think that Squall became a little disillusioned with Rinoa at that point. His initial enchantment segued into bitter disappointment. The experience probably, and unfortunately, served to reaffirm what he believed about people: that they could not be trusted to stick around and might reject/abandon him at any moment. Of course, Rinoa knew nothing of Squall's rejection/abandonment issues at that point; she couldn't have known that he would take her leaving so badly.

For anyone who wants to refresh their memory, below is a link to the dance scene in full - from Squall and Selphie getting changed in their dormitory, to the fade-out on Squall's gutted face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1VVXbhsHM (RECOMMENDED)

I am a strong believer in first impressions - which is why I place such importance on the dance scene. Squall's initial impression of Rinoa was positive; whatever may’ve come after is relatively unimportant. I ask myself, “is the chemistry there?” In Squall and Rinoa’s case, I believe it was - from the outset. (Chemistry, if it’s there, is always there from the outset; it isn’t something that can develop over time.) Given this, I believe that the rocky road to love should be traversed and that potential obstacles can be overcome. If the essential ingredient - chemistry - is present, it's all worth it.

Some more general observations on the dance scene:

While Rinoa was chatting him up, Squall was silent, but for one sentence: "...I can't dance." Not "I don't want to dance." or, worse still, "I don't want to dance with you." Just "...I can't dance." Now, we know Squall isn’t one to pull punches; we see how blunt he can be in some of his interactions with Quistis. “Then go talk to a wall.” springs to mind. So, if Squall was so desperate to ward Rinoa off, why didn't he give her an unambiguous turndown, as he did to Quistis? Why not tell her to "Go dance with a broom/chair/mop.", or some other variation on this?

I've always imagined Squall sounding somewhat... apologetic, when he tells Rinoa that he can't dance. It's a straightforward admission of a truth. Indeed, Squall cannot dance; that much is incontrovertible. It's not like it was personal. Squall was opposed to dancing, period. I don't believe that Aphrodite herself could've made Squall enthusiastic about dancing. It's to Rinoa's enormous credit that she was able to a) mould Squall into a decent dancer in a matter of mere minutes (part of SeeD training, my ass!), and b) get him to enjoy himself.

Updates may come later...

Kamiko
12-29-2006, 11:52 AM
You know I'm right.

That's pretty sad.

FF is almost never happy.

EXAMPLES:
Final Fantasy VII
Cloud: I will avenge my village!
Sephiroth: ZOMG! Cloud you are a puppet! A dolly! You have nothing to avenge!
Final Fantasy VIII
Cid: Kill the Sorceress Edea, AKA your surrogate mother AKA my wife.
Cid:/rists
Final Fantasy IX
Zidane: Hey look I'm a vessal with a soul!
Zidane's Random Sister Whose Name Has Escaped Me: (just a sad character)
Vivi: :( /rists
Final Fantasy X
Tidus: YAY!! Let's kill Sin! AND THEN WE CAN SAVE YUNA!!
Auron: BTW, Sin is your Dad.
Rikku: Yunie's gonna die!
Tidus: /rists

NeoCracker
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
He runs out of the room screaming at the thought people will talk about hi mwhen he dies.

Rinoa: "...He was executed? ...Of course he was. He attacked the
president. He sacrificed himself for the 'Forest Owls'..."

Quistis: "It was your group that got Seifer involved in all this.
You're a resistance faction, right? You must have been
prepared for the worst. I'm sure Seifer was prepared, too.
So don't think of it as Seifer sacrificing himself for you.
I'm sorry. I guess that wasn't much consolation."

[Squall walks over to Rinoa.]

Rinoa: "I...really liked him. He was always full of confidence,
smart... Just by talking to him, I felt like I could take on
the world."

Selphie: "Your boyfriend?"

Rinoa: "I don't really know. I... I think it was love. I wonder how
he felt...?"

Selphie: "Do you still like him?"

Rinoa: "If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it. It was last
summer... I was 16. Lots of fond memories..."

[Squall walks over to Selphie.]

Selphie: "You really hated Seifer, didn't you, Zell!?"

Zell: "Yeah, but... He was from Garden... He was one of us.
If I can, I wanna get revenge."

[Squall walks over to Quistis.]

Quistis: "I don't have any good memories of him. I've seem some
troubled children, but he was beyond troubled. Well, he
wasn't really a bad guy."

[Squall walks over to Zell.]

Zell: "I didn't like the guy, but executed...?"

[After talking to the three SeeD members (in any order), Squall
will reflect to himself.]

Squall: (I liked him... wasn't really a bad guy... He was one of
us... Seifer... You've become just a memory. Will they...
Will they talk about me this way if I die, too? Squall was
this and that. Using past tense, saying whatever they want?
So this is what death is all about... ...Not for me. I
won't have it!!!)

Quistis: "What's wrong, Squall?"

Squall: "I won't have it!"

Zell: "W-What?"

Selphie: "Are you MAD!?"

Squall: "I'm not having anyone talk about me in the past tense!"

[Squall runs out of the room. He heads downstairs, towards the exit,
but someone yells at him from the upper balcony.

http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=136092&rid=126761

I would like to know where squalls saving grace is in this part. He isn't acting cool headed at all. He's acting like a whiny little baby. He turns around and continues to tell people nothing is wrong even after stunts like this one. He acts like he wants the attention to keep coming. I know the game says he is afraid of what people think, but he acts like a scared little attention whore.

Your telling me it is a sound, reasonable, and romantic tail for Rinoa, or anyone for that matter, to want this in any way shape or form?

scooby
12-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Just dropped in to quickly say - because I haven't already - that Squall is ABSOLUTELY FRIKKIN' GORGEOUS!!! If you look that good, you can have the personality of dishwater and people will still gravitate towards you. Sadly, I don't know this from personal experience, but from the phenomenon known as "sexual magnetism" which I have observed in other people. Squall has it - in spades. He's very, very beautiful.

The fact that he's sexy (without trying), funny (both intentionally and unintentionally), a gifted swordsman and strategian (but modest about it), vulnerable (biggest turn-on ever!), intelligent, stylish, dependable, down-to-earth, levelheaded (most of the time...), and (deep down) a really nice guy, is just the scrumptious cake underneath some really decorative icing!

...What's not to like? (I luuurve Squall... :love: :heart: *sheepish grin*)

Rinoa is a teenage girl with a pulse - ergo, :drool: attraction :drool:. Why is this even a thread? Not that I haven't enjoyed posting in it....

chrisfffan
12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Just dropped in to quickly say - because I haven't already - that Squall is ABSOLUTELY FRIKKIN' GORGEOUS!!! If you look that good, you can have the personality of dishwater and people will still gravitate towards you. Sadly, I don't know this from personal experience, but from the phenomenon known as "sexual magnetism" which I have observed in other people. Squall has it - in spades. He's very, very beautiful.

The fact that he's sexy (without trying), funny (both intentionally and unintentionally), a gifted swordsman and strategian (but modest about it), vulnerable (biggest turn-on ever!), intelligent, stylish, dependable, down-to-earth, levelheaded (most of the time...), and (deep down) a really nice guy, is just the scrumptious cake underneath some really decorative icing!

...What's not to like? (I luuurve Squall... :love: :heart: *sheepish grin*)

Rinoa is a teenage girl with a pulse - ergo, :drool: attraction :drool:. Why is this even a thread? Not that I haven't enjoyed posting in it....

are u in love with squall?

f f freak
12-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Are you in love with a game character? You realise that they aren't real and never will be don't you? Would you still be saying this if the main character of FF8 was a slug?

That's pretty much fixed I think. Feel free to fix it a bit more if you want.

Kanshisha
01-02-2007, 02:11 AM

What is it with the end? preety much everyone's ending on this thread is " the end "

LoveArya
01-02-2007, 02:15 AM

What is it with the end? preety much everyone's ending on this thread is " the end "

Because unless they are going to make a sequal, then that is THE END.

Kanshisha
01-02-2007, 02:18 AM
yer whatever...

LoveArya
01-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Whatever......

Kanshisha
01-02-2007, 02:22 AM
?...

LoveArya
01-02-2007, 12:17 PM
You're no fun

Heero Yuy NWZC
01-02-2007, 05:23 PM
You know I'm right.

That's pretty sad.

FF is almost never happy.

EXAMPLES:
Final Fantasy VII
Cloud: I will avenge my village!
Sephiroth: ZOMG! Cloud you are a puppet! A dolly! You have nothing to avenge!
Final Fantasy VIII
Cid: Kill the Sorceress Edea, AKA your surrogate mother AKA my wife.
Cid:/rists
Final Fantasy IX
Zidane: Hey look I'm a vessal with a soul!
Zidane's Random Sister Whose Name Has Escaped Me: (just a sad character)
Vivi: :( /rists
Final Fantasy X
Tidus: YAY!! Let's kill Sin! AND THEN WE CAN SAVE YUNA!!
Auron: BTW, Sin is your Dad.
Rikku: Yunie's gonna die!
Tidus: /rists

Well there has to be some conflict in the game or there wouldn't be much of a story behind it, now would there? ;) Besides, everything turns out for the better in the end so it winds up happy.

Kamiko
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
YOU THINK ALL THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE DEAD UNLESS YOU WATCH PAST ALL THE CREDITS :((((

TyphoonThaReapa
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
A'yo, I don't care if the "love" those two have for each other was forced, ment to happen, or never there. It's the best Final Fantesy game and when it is all said and done we have to stick to the REAL topic. I'm single and Angel Wing is at the top of my list!!!!!!!!:cool:

Frostwake
02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Its amazing to see how some people totally refuse to see the evidence before their eyes, and by this I mean, Angel Wing's post said everything there had to be said, period.

Now I congratulate everyone that managed to understand it without having to be brainwashed... It seems most of you need a REASON for love... well there isnt one, it just happens... you might say "I love her because she is this and that" or stuff, but the truth is she has as many flaws and virtues as any other girl, but it just "clicked" and thats how Rinoa and Squall happened, they are both pretty to top it off so its no wonder... :)

TyphoonThaReapa
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Its amazing to see how some people totally refuse to see the evidence before their eyes, and by this I mean, Angel Wing's post said everything there had to be said, period.

Now I congratulate everyone that managed to understand it without having to be brainwashed... It seems most of you need a REASON for love... well there isnt one, it just happens... you might say "I love her because she is this and that" or stuff, but the truth is she has as many flaws and virtues as any other girl, but it just "clicked" and thats how Rinoa and Squall happened, they are both pretty to top it off so its no wonder... :)

A'yo, good one. Tell you the truth, I didn't think anyone else would post on this forum.