PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry "Games"

Cledarius
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi folks

This Inquiry is for a work i have to do in my school. Well, you are all gamers i think so this should be the right place to do this. Please take it seriously and answer correctly. It's important to me. And please forgive me my bad english. If some Germans are here, you're welcome to write in german.

Edit: Comments are allowed. So just write what you think, beneath the given answers

Which kind of games do you play?

- RPGs
- Sports/Race Games
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Arcade
- Strategie
- Beat’em up
- Jump ’n run

Do you think that games affect your life?

Yes
No

If yes, positively or negatively? And how exactly?

Do you think that games promote violence?

Yes
No

Do you think that gaming has developed to a culture in the last few years?

Yes
No
Don't know

What do you think of people, which sit most of the time before the PC/TV and play games?

It's cool
It's sick
is all the same to me

~SapphireStar~
10-24-2006, 01:27 PM

- RPGs
- Beat’em up

No

No

Yes

What do you think of people, which sit most of the time before the PC/TV and play games?

It's cool

YTDN
10-24-2006, 01:36 PM

- Sports/Race Games
- Beat’em up

Yes

Positively. They allow me to relieve stress, and also, with RPGs, it means I know more than my friends.

No

Yes

It's cool

Dreddz
10-24-2006, 01:40 PM

- RPGs
- Beat’em up

Yes

If yes, positively or negatively? And how exactly? Negative, stops me from having a life.

Yes

Don't know

It's sick

Bunny
10-24-2006, 01:45 PM

- RPGs
- Sports/Race Games
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Arcade
- Strategie
- Beat’em up
- Jump ’n run

Yes
No

N/A

Yes
No

Yes
No
Don't know

It's cool
It's sick
is all the same to me

Promoting violence and featuring violence are two completely different thing. There isn't a game I can think of which actually tells you outright to go and hurt people.

As far as video games effecting how a person lives their life, that is completely dependent on the person. If a person has a dependent personality, it probably will effect them in a small way, either large or small.

Cledarius
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
C'mon people. write for me please! If you want to be anonymous, write the answers as PM!

JKTrix
10-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Be patient my man. People will come.

All of 'em. Fighting games are my absolute favourite, with RPGs and Action games also very high up.

Yes

Positively, I suppose. It's a great way to relieve stress. Not too many things release stress as well as crashing some cars in Burnout. It doesn't really affect my life in the way that I'm basing my core morals and beliefs, though.

Does Bugs Bunny promote violence?

It's always been a 'culture', but it's definitely becoming more widely accepted.

It's physically and emotionally unhealthy (unless you're playing some DDR Dating Sim hybrid). I'm guilty of doing this quite often (not the DDR Dating Sim thing...). Recently I've been 'going out' more, regardless if it was my choice or not.

Vermachtnis
10-24-2006, 03:10 PM
- RPGs
- Adventures
- Strategie
- Jump ’n run (That's platformers right?)

Yes

Positively, gives me something to talk about.

No

Yes

It's sick

Rainecloud
10-24-2006, 03:14 PM

I mostly play RPG's, Adventure and Platform games, with the Super Mario Bros & Sonic the Hedgehog series' being my absolute favourites. I have an acquired taste when it comes to computer games, and dislike most other genres. I don't have any time at all for racing, shooting or fighting games.

To a certain extent, yes. They can inspire us and emotionally move us. However, I've never made a serious career change or life changing decision as a result of playing games.

See above. :p

That's a difficult one. If people who play video games are sensible and sane, then no. We know that's not the case, though... =/

Yes.

It doesn't bother me at all.

Ender
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM

- RPGs very often
- Sports/Race Games sometimes
- Shooters rarely
- Adventures sometimes
- Arcade never
- Strategie sometimes
- Beat’em up never
- Jump ’n run sometimes

Yes

As with anything, games have a negative effect when they're played too much. They affect the amount of sleep I get, which in turn affects my health and mindset during my non-playing hours. Otherwise the affect on me has been positive. They stimulate my imagination, provide another alternative to pass the time outside of books, movies, and television, and have provided me a reason to connect with others with similar interests and mindsets.

Yes

Some games promote violence IMO. Note, that I do not believe that means that they provide an excuse for violence, merely that some games likely condition a stimulation-reaction response that tends toward violence. I do not think it can be concluslively said that video games have an effect that can be isolated from other mediums that promote violence, including movies, television, family situation, and society in general.

Yes

Thanks to the internet people who share interests have been able to build relationships and an identity using those interests as their foundation. Gaming discussion lends itself easily to this kind of interaction, but it can also be found in anything a large number of people have a strong interest in: movies, literature, politics, etc.

Depends

When you say "most of the time" do you mean in absolute terms or "most of their free time?" If it's truly "most of the time" meaning it's done at the expense of a normal living/working schedule, then it's sick. If it's "most of their free time" outside of school, work, and normal daily interaction, I have no problem with it. It's no different than people who read, watch tv, etc. most of their free time.

edczxcvbnm
10-24-2006, 04:00 PM

- RPGs
- Sports/Race Games
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Arcade
- Strategie George Bushism?
- Beat’em up
- Jump ’n run I assume this is platformer but I thought of Bump n' Jump...that is not a genre of gaming. Bump n' Jump is just a totally awesome game

Do you think that games affect your life? Couldn't this apply like donuts. Everything affects your life in some way but how do you measure this affect? I don't think this is well enough defined.

Yes
No

If yes, positively or negatively? And how exactly? Games are affecting my life by people making surveys...also...what? No question for those that said no? What the hell is this crap?

Do you think that games promote violence? Tetris is the defining game when it comes to violence. Teaching people to throw blocks onto others...such a shame

Yes
No

Do you think that gaming has developed to a culture in the last few years? Define 'few' in few years. For all we know you are talking about 2003 instead 1989.

Yes
No
Don't know

What do you think of people, which sit most of the time before the PC/TV and play games? What the hell kind of question is this?

It's cool
It's sick
is all the same to me

Yeah...I didn't answer your survey at all. I just didn't think it was exact enough. A bit too vague.

Cledarius
10-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, I'm glad that some people took their time to write something in here.

I hope, there are more. The more the better.

Saku
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM

All... but personal preference is strategy and RPGs

Personally no....

Is this a trick question? No games dont promote violence, dispite the fact of the whole ESRB "cartoon violence" warning on the back

Yes! Its always been there... along side Star Wars and DnD!

It's cool.... everyone has their hobbies. You don't hear me complaining about Josephine down the road who sits all day and reads the newspaper while sipping coffee and gossiping about random things.

Markus. D
10-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi folks

This Inquiry is for a work i have to do in my school. Well, you are all gamers i think so this should be the right place to do this. Please take it seriously and answer correctly. It's important to me. And please forgive me my bad english. If some Germans are here, you're welcome to write in german.

Edit: Comments are allowed. So just write what you think, beneath the given answers

- RPGs *tick*
- Sports/Race Games *tick*
- Shooters *tick*
- Adventures *tick*
- Arcade *tick*
- Strategie *tick*
- Beat’em up *tick*
- Jump ’n run *tick*

Yes
No *tick*

Yes
No *tick*

Yes
No
Don't know *tick*

It's cool
It's sick
is all the same to me *tick*

Frozen Phantom
10-31-2006, 12:08 AM

- RPGs
- Shooters
- Strategie
- Beat’em up

Yes

Positively, they help me relieve stress, and they are a great way to spend a day.

Yes

thats kind of a trick question, actually to me they do promote violence. Just not directly

Yes

It's cool

Griff
10-31-2006, 02:29 AM
What type of games do you play?
Mainly RPGs, Shooters, and fighters

Do you think games affect your life?
In some ways, both positively and negatively.

Do you think games promote violence?
I did an essay on this for english class. While some people whose names shall be unmentioned (but I will say one's name starts with a J and ends with ack Thompson) may tell you they do promote violence and talk about studies done without ever showing any conclusive evidence. The truth is that many people, especially teenagers look at video games as a release of tension, and in all likeliness if games like Halo or GTA didn't exist there would be more school shootings and gang violence in the real world. The fact is since the release of the playstation violence among youths has dropped constantly in the United States. This is a statistical fact.

Do you think gaming has developed to a culture in the past few years?
Yes, undoubtedly.

What do you think of people which sit most of the time before the PC/TV and play games?
They can do what they want with their lives, not my problem.

Odaisé Gaelach
10-31-2006, 03:39 AM
- RPGs
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Strategie
- Jump ’n run

Yes

Positively. Playing a game, especially if I beat the game, makes me feel happy.

I'm not sure.

Don't know.

It's all the same to me.

Ryth
11-01-2006, 01:25 AM

- RPGs
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Arcade
- Strategy
- Beat’em up
- "Jump ’n run" (platformers?)

Yes

Positively, I've found what I like and can look for people who share my interest. It also allows me to relieve stress and get involved in a story in a RPG.

No

Yes

is all the same to me

Lionx
11-01-2006, 07:56 AM

- RPGs
- Sports/Race Games
- Shooters
- Adventures
- Arcade
- Strategie
- Beat’em up
- Jump ’n run

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No
Don't know

It's cool
It's sick
is all the same to me

1.) Platformers, Fighting, MMORPG, RPG, Adventure(Zelda), Real Time Strategy, Turn based Strategy, and Puzzle

2.) To a certain degree yes.

3.) Positively i guess, it made me some new friends at school, it also was a good time passer and something to enjoy too. I dont see how it can be negative unless you are doing too much and obsessed.

4.) It can...but in general i dont think so.

5.) Yes

6.) All the same to me :3

Martyr
11-01-2006, 09:04 AM

- RPGs

- Adventures

- Strategie

- Beat’em up

Yes.

I get hooked on games and play for long periods of time to beat them, and the repetition of a game acts like a learning experience, and it can influence my ideas, thoughts, and even speech. And it's almost all subconscious. There's definitily a strong risk or possibility of loss of creativity.

I'd call that Negative, because games shouldn't be mimiced to that extent.

Yes.

No matter wha anybody says, video games definitely make it's players into individuals who can handle the idea of carnage much easier because they're inflicting it. And it teaches and influences very violent and vengeful ways to solve problems.

How much that leaks into real life is questionable, but how much it leaks into a person's brain... Well, it's a lot. And that's undeniable.

Yes

Definitely. There's geeks of all kinds. A "Gamer" Geeks are another breed. They can be very intense, to the point where they base their entire lvies around it. Gaming has become much more than a 30 minute free time excercise.

Very very bad.
And very uncool. (I like people. I don't like it when they like their computers more than me. If they would rather play games than hang out, they're uncool. And it's very bad. AND IT HAS HAPPENED!)

They're wasting tons of valuable time that could be spent learning or doing many other things. Plus, it's unhealthy for a social life.

Trust me, I wasted a large part of my life doing it. And it's so addictive, that I need to take extra precaustions to prevent losing my life to video game addiction.

By losing my life, I mean years spent pressing little buttons. If I die at 80, I can safely say that I may as well have died, probably, at 78. Neither I, nor anybody else, needs to see that number drastically decrease because of drastic amounts of time sitting in front of a glowing monitor doing NOTHING of any value or worth.