PDA

View Full Version : Office Romance

Roto13
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Hey doods and doodettes. I'm writing a term paper (due Friday. Meep.) about office romances. Good old-fasioned cubicle love. I need stories and anecdotes, so please share. I know it can sometimes be hard to resist office romances. Sometimes the atmosphere is just right. The smell of the coffee machine. The gentle whirrrr of the air conditioning. The warm glow of the photocopier...

Anyhoo, discuss.

EDIT: New question. What do you think of policies regarding office romances? Do you think it's fair for employers to dictate whether or not their employees are allowed to date or be in relationships with each other? Are there any special circumstances that would negate your answer?

Reles
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
I dated a guy from work once, but it wasn't necessarily an office. We were working at some theatre picking up trash and serving drinks and popcorn, oh how romantic. Unfortunately I got fired soon after because some guy didn't like me and tried everything imaginable to get rid of me, but he soon got fired for sexual harrassment when he became assistant manager so...haha I don't really care. The work experience was great, lots of fun, but the boyfriend didn't last. I don't think we got as long as well as we did when we were friends.

Shaun
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
That would be a pretty geeky romance. Oooh, the talk of Linux and external hard drives and the latest processors. Well, I guess not everyone in an office is doing jobs that geeky but still.

Miriel
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Well on The Office, Jim and Pam had 2 seasons of will they, won't they sexual tension that ended up going nowhere except that Pam ended up breakin up with her fiance and Jim ended up transferring to a different office. But they didn't end up TOGETHER! What's up with that?

Rainecloud
10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
I haven't and wouldn't.

There is one attractive member of our team at the office, but I certainly wouldn't think about dating her, as her personality leaves a lot to be desired. Besides, I'm already in a wonderful relationship. :p

escobert
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I haven't (never worked ina office! LOLz)

Miriel
10-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Niether have I! Well. Not like a real office office with cubicles and everything. And I probably never will. :D

Spiffing Cheese
10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Well on The Office, Jim and Pam had 2 seasons of will they, won't they sexual tension that resulted in almost nothing except that Pam ended up breakin up with her fiance and Jim ended up transferring to a different office. But they didn't end up TOGETHER! What's up with that?

I so didn't realise that The Office you have is a different version to the British one Ricky Gervais did first. :eek:

Roto13
10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Well on The Office, Jim and Pam had 2 seasons of will they, won't they sexual tension that ended up going nowhere except that Pam ended up breakin up with her fiance and Jim ended up transferring to a different office. But they didn't end up TOGETHER! What's up with that?

You know, I ran an ebsco search for office romances and found about two dozen articles about that. XD

Burtsplurt
10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
I haven't, although I have worked in an office. Unfortunately, most of the women were at least 5 years older than me (and they were the young ones...).

I'd definitely do it, although it would mean working in an office again, which is 1000% rubbish. Might liven things up a little.

rubah
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Niether have I! Well. Not like a real office office with cubicles and everything. And I probably never will. :D

You have, call it for what it is, miriel! This is a real job!

SammieBabe
10-25-2006, 10:41 PM
I have and it was a mistake. Granted I am about to start a job in the same building as my hubbie, but we're in totally different departments and we'll only see each other at lunch. The office romance I had was with someone that I worked closely with. He drove me insane...
I do not recommend dating someone that you'll see quite frequently or that has authority over you...

Leeza
10-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Good god, no. Never. Eventually it would end and you would still have to work with this person, maybe forever. Yuk. Especially if he was someone of authority and held a grudge for some reason. That would then be a very terrible work situation.

Shlup
10-26-2006, 12:55 AM
During my senior year of high school I worked at Disneyland, and one of my co-workers said he was going to hook me up with one of his friends, but ended up breaking up with his girlfriend and asking me out himself. I thought it was amusing. We only went out once though, and I was seeing someone else. Both of those guys asked me to prom but I dumped them both to go to prom with someone else, who I am now married to. xD

That was a great time to be me. :}

MecaKane
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
I think Jim should just forget about Pam and go with the sexy possibly Italian chick.

sephirothishere
10-26-2006, 01:13 AM
that has authority over you...

do tell....

Roto13
10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks to those of you who have shared your stories so far. They're coming in handy. I would like to expand upon the topic a little bit.

What do you think of policies regarding office romances? Do you think it's fair for employers to dictate whether or not their employees are allowed to date or be in relationships with each other? Are there any special circumstances that would negate your answer?

I Am Stoner
10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I haven't, but I would.

Thane
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I haven't(I've only worked in a kitchen with mostly guys) and I would! As lon as I like the person there ain't no stoppin' me! :D But obviously at work I wouldn't even give her a kiss on the cheek, I'll wait until after work.

NorthernChaosGod
10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I have, and I would again. I'm very professional and don't let it interfere with work.

~SapphireStar~
10-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Never worked in an office, but if I had the hots for a guy and visa versa, it wouldnt stop me. I'd try and keep it quite for a while. But I dont there is anything wrong with it at all.