PDA

View Full Version : Staying True to the Game

feioncastor
10-25-2006, 11:34 PM
I've never played Final Fantasy III for the Famicom because I don't own a famicom. And even if I did, I don't speak Japanese, so I probably wouldn't do too well playing the game. I am aware that it's possible to play the game on your computer using an Emulator, but I'm also aware that it's illegal to do this. So I haven't done that.

So when I play FFIII for the DS, it will be my first FF3 experience.

But I've been looking over the screenshots, and they look really... good.

The version of FF1 on the PSX didn't look like the original NES version at all. But it was still the same basic idea. Aerial view, turn-based combat, and so forth.

But this version of FF3 looks NOTHING like the Famicom screenshots I've seen. It looks like a totally new game, loosely based around FF3. I mean, will it still have the same gameplay, as far as field and combat?

Keep in mind that I know VERY little about this game. I know that it has jobs, like FFV. I know that you start as Onion kids (or something like that) and I know that you get a lot of airships. I've heard that the original NES graphics look strikingly similar to the FF4 SNES graphics, only, NES. And I guess I can see that, judging by the screenshots I've seen.

I'm just wondering, though. If I get FFIII for the DS, am I actually getting FF3? I'd certainly say that FF1&2:DoS isn't a faithful representation of Final Fantasy OR Final Fantasy II (judging by the FFOrigins version). It was all watered-down and simplified. I played FF1 on the NES and it had a distinct feel to it. Apart from the 8-bit graphics and sound, the game just felt a certain way. I think that FFOrigins captured that feeling pretty well, but DoS did not.

So, to those of you who have played the original FF3, how does this new version seem to be stacking up as of now?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-26-2006, 12:54 AM
The people in charge of producing the remake were the same people who developed the original game, and they were extremely committed to keeping everything as true to 1990 as possible. The environmental architecture hasn't changed. The enemies are just as aggressive. The items are all in the same place. You can only save on the world map. The most common complaint about the game is that they didn't change enough to update it for modern tastes.

So I would say you have nothing to worry about.

abrojtm
10-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Aside from adding a couple of sidequests and Mognet, the only thing that's really changed is the graphics and controls.

Znake
10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
You can only save on the world map.Is there absolutely no Save Points near boss battles.

feioncastor
10-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Excellent point. If there are no save points, it will certainly be challenging. I'm reminded of FF1 for the NES, when you go the Marsh Cave and you only have about 2 LIT2's, and you HAVE to save at least one for the Wizards guarding the Crown. Due to that game's lack of save points, filling up MP was quite a chore. However, it made for a more interesting game. It was more challenging and required you to strategize in each fight, instead of mindlessly pushing "A" until all the enemies were gone.

However, I don't know that other FF games (Like FF6 or FF7) would be possible without Save Points, or at least some way to fill up MP, other than Inns and the super expensive "House"..

Sefie1999AD
10-26-2006, 10:58 AM
You can only save on the world map.Is there absolutely no Save Points near boss battles.

It seems not, and that also means you'll have to fight through at least two long dungeons to beat the game as there's no save points in the final dungeon or before it. I know it's there to add some challenge, but it's still annoying since even going through the Sylx Tower and the Dark World takes 1.5-3 hours, so if you want to replay those parts and beat the final boss again, it will take a long time.

Captain Maxx Power
10-26-2006, 11:52 AM
There's a couple of changes, such as a few new classes, Onion Kids are no longer the starting class but a special class you gain later on. NPC's that follow you may help you out in battle occasionally. Apart from that it's practically identical as has been said.

Elpizo
10-26-2006, 02:47 PM

It seems not, and that also means you'll have to fight through at least two long dungeons to beat the game as there's no save points in the final dungeon or before it. I know it's there to add some challenge, but it's still annoying since even going through the Sylx Tower and the Dark World takes 1.5-3 hours, so if you want to replay those parts and beat the final boss again, it will take a long time.
True, but than you can always re-battle some bosses again, instead of just the Final Boss. But a save-point just before Zande wouldn't hurt.

What you can do, however, is first take all treasures in the Sylx Tower, go back to the entrance, save, and then rush up to the top again.

And besides, if you're at a high level, you may not have to beat all Dark World bosses and have a tougher Final Boss. No save points offer some possabilities. But also some limitations...

Oh well, at least there's quick save if you suddenly have to quit playing.

feioncastor
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
What you can do, however, is first take all treasures in the Sylx Tower, go back to the entrance, save, and then rush up to the top again.

The idea of getting all the treasures, leaving to save/rest up then coming back to kill the bad guy is very FF1! I like it.

And I think Quicksave features don't help with suddenly having to quit playing. I think quicksave is for when you're in a place where you might die, so you quicksave in case you. Because a quick save is lost if you hard reset or power off the game, I think.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
FFIII's quick save takes you out of the game, and when you resume, the data is erased. So you really can't use it as if it were a save point.

LoKuS
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I cant wait for this game.

Sefie1999AD
10-26-2006, 06:47 PM
*SPOILERS!*

True, but than you can always re-battle some bosses again, instead of just the Final Boss. But a save-point just before Zande wouldn't hurt.

And besides, if you're at a high level, you may not have to beat all Dark World bosses and have a tougher Final Boss. No save points offer some possabilities. But also some limitations...

That's true, and actually, I always go through Eureka and level up there a lot, then I get all the treasures in the Sylx Tower, make my way back to the healing springs at the top of Eureka, and finally I head back to the entrance of the Sylx Tower to save the game. As far as I know, you do need to beat all the 4 Dark Crystal bosses so that you can even scratch the final boss. If you meant that I don't need to fight the Zande Clones to get Ribbons, I wouldn't really be worried about them. Usually I have my Sages use their weapons to petrify them on the first turn. :D

Elpizo
10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
*SPOILERS!*

That's true, and actually, I always go through Eureka and level up there a lot, then I get all the treasures in the Sylx Tower, make my way back to the healing springs at the top of Eureka, and finally I head back to the entrance of the Sylx Tower to save the game. As far as I know, you do need to beat all the 4 Dark Crystal bosses so that you can even scratch the final boss. If you meant that I don't need to fight the Zande Clones to get Ribbons, I wouldn't really be worried about them. Usually I have my Sages use their weapons to petrify them on the first turn. :D
Well I heard you don't really need to defeat Echidna, AHriman, Cerberus and 2-Head Dragon to scratch the FB. Not all of them, anyway. Could be a rumor.

And I saw something weird yesterday! I was battling teh Final Boss for fun, and normally, all it uses is Flare Wave, right? Well, my eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when I saw the Final Boss perform a normal attack and miss! Lucky me, cause I had an all out attack 4x Shurikens and 2x bahamut. And no Flare Wave damage. :D
Anybody else who has seen the Final Boss do something else than Flare Wave?
I only saw her/he/it doing it once.

feioncastor
10-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey, if anyone feels up to answering, how did you all play the game? Do you live Japan, or did you import a system and cart or did you play a rom of it, or what? All this talk about it makes me wanna play the NES version first, but I don't think I'm comfortable using an emulator, even if it was legal.

So, is there anyone who will share how they got to play it?

Captain Maxx Power
10-27-2006, 01:06 AM
FF3 in it's nes ROM format has been translated for some time. It's how the majority of English speaking players have managed to get hold of our game. Heck, even our own front site walkthrough and information page is based upon this translated ROM so, meh, there you go.

feioncastor
10-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Hmmmmm... Isn't it technically illegal? I mean, if it is, it's one of those laws that people often overlook and even the "victims" don't really care, but technically isn't it illegal? I mean, what would happen if I got an emulator and a rom for it just so I can play the NES version since we'll never get it here? Like, how would I get caught, and what would happen if I did?

Angi-Kaiser
10-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes, it is technically illegal. I don't know how you would get caught, or what would happen to you... but it is illegal.

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 08:35 AM
If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer. Nobody ever really gets caught anyway, especially for NES games.

Kryton87
10-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't trust that personally, I heard somewhere that its just a rumor... I dunno... in any case, the game is 16 years old. I seriously doubt that Square would have issues with someone downloading... oh, I mean Square-Enix... if they were still Square, maybe...

I use emulators myself, but the newest game I have is Super Smash Bros 1, which is 9 years old, and I only got it because my smash disappeared, which seriously sucks... in any case, if you want to try the rom, yes, it is in fact illegal, and I think the only way its legal is if you ripped it yourself as a backup. However, the chances that anyone cares are quite limited. That may change when the Wii comes out with its thing about playing old games. I would still get the remake even when I already have the game, simply because I want the upgraded graphics and total awesomeness of it being on the DS. If I found Super Smash Bros anywhere I'd probably buy it if it was reasonably priced.

Anyway... the way I see it, if anyone bugged me about it to get rid of them, I'd do it, but it probably won't happen. Until then, just don't get any PS2 or X-Box 360 games and you should be fine.

Angi-Kaiser
10-29-2006, 04:10 PM
With the Wii, you still have to pay to access those games, thus making it legal, where downloading things without paying for them will still be illegal. It's like with music: Downloading it without paying for it is just robbing the artist/creator.

Zeromus_X
10-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I've heard from many of the people who've played the game (on the dreadful Gamefaqs boards...) that the game is in fact a bit easier. You have to level up more, but leveling up is quite easy. We'll just have to wait and see if their words hold any merit.

The evil emulation patrol robots won't storm your home and destroy your computer because you wanted to play FFIII.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-30-2006, 01:46 PM
If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer.That's totally false, actually. The people who run ROM sites just say it to make themselves appear legitimate.

Sefie1999AD
10-30-2006, 09:44 PM
I've heard from many of the people who've played the game (on the dreadful Gamefaqs boards...) that the game is in fact a bit easier. You have to level up more, but leveling up is quite easy. We'll just have to wait and see if their words hold any merit.

The evil emulation patrol robots won't storm your home and destroy your computer because you wanted to play FFIII.

From what I've seen, it seems the bosses are harder, not easier. They can attack several times during a turn now rather than just attacking once during a turn. I saw bosses using spells on the party and then following up with physical attacks on the same turn, and the Iron Giant attacked like five times in a turn.

feioncastor
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
With the Wii, you still have to pay to access those games, thus making it legal, where downloading things without paying for them will still be illegal. It's like with music: Downloading it without paying for it is just robbing the artist/creator.

However, in this case, if I were to legally purchase a Famicom and import FF3, I wouldn't be supporting the artist/creator because I wouldn't be buying it retail. I'd be buying it from some jerk on e-bay or something. So even if I went through all that, I'd still not be helping out Square or anything.

I may give it a shot. Now all I need to do is find some place where you're allowed to ask how the hell you go about getting an emulator and roms! I don't think you're allowed to ask questions like that here, so I'll take my question elsewhere.

But thanks for the info, guys. [/offtopic]

Sylvie
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
If you just want to try the ROM, it is legal to keep the ROM for 24 hours, and after that, it becomes illegal if it is still on the computer.That's totally false, actually. The people who run ROM sites just say it to make themselves appear legitimate.

I'm totally busting L-Factor now. Thanks for that, Kishi.

Kryton87
10-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Am I allowed to send it to you over email? I have it and an emulator, and they're together like, less than a megabyte. But remember, emulators and roms can be very addicting. When you're done, you might want to hide it in your computer somewhere just so you don't get tempted to get more roms for it.

edit: Oh, and yes its translated, so you don't need to know Japanese. Though knowing Japanese never hurt anyone... heh... my sig probably says complete gibberish... but its from a first year student of the language...

Zeromus_X
10-31-2006, 12:56 AM

From what I've seen, it seems the bosses are harder, not easier. They can attack several times during a turn now rather than just attacking once during a turn. I saw bosses using spells on the party and then following up with physical attacks on the same turn, and the Iron Giant attacked like five times in a turn.

It also seems like the Bard has gained teh l337 haxing skillz. 0_o; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsG7g8xDbE)

Fire_Emblem776
10-31-2006, 05:12 AM
Well FF XII was leaked a few weeks ago, so their are ways to get them :rolleyes2

Hey, if anyone feels up to answering, how did you all play the game? Do you live Japan, or did you import a system and cart or did you play a rom of it, or what? All this talk about it makes me wanna play the NES version first, but I don't think I'm comfortable using an emulator, even if it was legal.

So, is there anyone who will share how they got to play it?

Zeromus_X
10-31-2006, 05:13 AM
I played the NeoDemiforce fan-translated ROM of the Famicom version on FCEUltra.

I only check into the FFIIIDS boards on Gamefaqs now and then to catch up on any information, as there are many people there who have played the Japanese version of FFIIIDS.

Sefie1999AD
10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
It also seems like the Bard has gained teh l337 haxing skillz. 0_o; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlsG7g8xDbE)

Well, it's better than having a totally spoony and useless class. Garuda was defeated very quickly in that fight, even with a party that had most of its characters on low HP. Is the boss really that easy, was the player overleveled or was that just the last few turns of the fight (i.e. not the whole boss fight)?

Evastio
10-31-2006, 11:14 PM
That's crazy. :confused:

That was suppose to be Garuda right? Because if it was they all should've died on the first turn. That's what happened when I played FF3.

Lunadis
11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
even with a party that had most of its characters on low HP. Is the boss really that easy, was the player overleveled or was that just the last few turns of the fight (i.e. not the whole boss fight)?Actually, from what I understand the player intentionally allowed his or her party to fall under a critical level of HP. Thus, protected from physical attacks by the Knight. By using the defensive abilities of the Knight to render damage to 0, granted the boss uses only physical attacks, the player is immortal as long as Defend is used.

Sorry if my post is somewhat late, just joined. XP