PDA

View Full Version : DS or PSP?

Malboro_Menace
10-26-2006, 08:54 AM
So which do you own/like more/prefer, the DS or the PSP?

For me its the DS by far. The gaming capabilities just really make it for me. And everything the PSP has to offer I already have or have no need for. I also find the PSP controls to be too junky for most games.

Rainecloud
10-26-2006, 09:02 AM
The DS, for numerous reasons.

* The battery life - the PSP is just pathetic in this department, whereas your DS will give you many, many hours of enjoyment without having to recharge.
* The quality of games - New SMB, Tetris DS, Sonic Rush, etc, beat the pants off the PSP's paltry line-up, in my opinion.
* The design - it looks far better than the big, clunky, ugly PSP.
* The quality - I know quite a few people who own PSP's, and they all have dead pixels. Plus, Sony won't replace consoles with dead pixels, whereas Ninty will. Unacceptable.
* The price - of course, the PSP is over-priced (in my opinion), and the DS isn't.
* Ease of Use - the carts are easy to use and aren't easily damaged. I hate the UMD discs. They look dumb.

:p

Znake
10-26-2006, 09:14 AM
DS. I bought a DS because i've never had anything Nintendo before, so there was a lot of Nintendo style games i'd yet to play, and the PSP game libary was mostly spin-offs off PS2 games.

Although I am going to get a PSP soon, if it's true that you can download some rare PS1 games for it, plus the three FF's.

RiseToFall
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
DS - For the most part what Rainecloud said. Though I do think the PSP looks better than the DS. But who the hell buys a system for looks?

Shlup
10-26-2006, 09:23 AM
In my purse you will find both. :}

Malboro_Menace
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Oh yeh something I forgot to say was the fact that DS can play GBA games.

The Devil Man
10-26-2006, 09:38 AM
If you want to play GBA games, buy a Gameboy Advance :eek: Trust me, they GBA games are a lot more 'this feels right' on a Gameboy Advance then on a DS. The most off-putting thing about GBA games on a DS is that one screen is just black. It feels wierd.

I have both a PSP and a Nintendo DS and if I was recommending just one it would be a DS, easily. For the games alone, like:

Phoneix Wright, Trauma Centre, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, 42 All Time Classics, Lost in Blue, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, etc, etc...

Too many great games already on the Nintendo DS.

But for sheer potential and 'what might be released in the future' it would be the PSP. There are some great games already out for it (Tears of Vermillion, Lumines, Guilty Gear) and there are some good looking games already in development.

Of course, I have both, so I don't care which is better, but for recommendation it would be the DS.

Rostum
10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
If you want to play GBA games, buy a Gameboy Advance :eek: Trust me, they GBA games are a lot more 'this feels right' on a Gameboy Advance then on a DS. The most off-putting thing about GBA games on a DS is that one screen is just black. It feels wierd.

What's the point in buying a seperate system for GBA games, when you can pay a little extra and be able to play DS games as well? Who really cares if there's a black screen there?

I say DS because it has a better game line up than the PSP (in my opinion, of course), especially with FF3 and the FF12 spin-off coming on to it.

The Devil Man
10-26-2006, 10:09 AM
What's the point in buying a seperate system for GBA games, when you can pay a little extra and be able to play DS games as well? Who really cares if there's a black screen there?

And how much do Game Boy Advances actually cost now, either brand new or second hand? In the UK you can get a brand new Game Boy Micro for about £30 or a GBA SP for £20 if you look around. Cheaper then most DS Games. Hardly costing a fortune.

Dreddz
10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
I prefer the PSP. While I admit the DS has more original games that are decent, I still prefer what the PSP is offering. I dont play my DS much, and if I did, it'd either be Bleach DS or Tetris DS. With the PSP however, Ive got Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Guilty Gear Judgement, Tekken DR and Power Stone. Which I prefer a whole lot over any DS game.

Maybe it will be more closer when the games I want for my DS come out, at the moment though, PSP by miles.

Rostum
10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
And how much do Game Boy Advances actually cost now, either brand new or second hand? In the UK you can get a brand new Game Boy Micro for about £30 or a GBA SP for £20 if you look around. Cheaper then most DS Games. Hardly costing a fortune.

I've seen GBA SP and Micro's for $100AUD. The DS costs $180AUD. I'd rather get a DS than buy both a DS and a GBA. =\ Even if they are as cheap as you say, you're still saving, unless you really don't want the DS side of things.

Edit:
I don't know why you wouldn't want the DS side of things, if you like the GBA games a lot to buy one, you're going to love a lot of the DS games.

Monster Hunt
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
DS

Levian
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
My DS should arrive in the mail any day now. They shipped the games before the actual DS, so I've skimmed the manuals a few times. ;o

The only game I'd be interested in on the PSP is Medievil - Resurrection.

Roto13
10-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I'd like to play the new Metal Gear Solid for PSP. That's... pretty much it. I'm definitely going with the DS for many of the reasons listed above.

JKTrix
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
If you want a portable PlayStation, the PSP is appropriately branded and does an ok job some of the time. If you're deep into the fighting games and you might have an itch for some tekken or guilty gear in the middle of the day, then it's pretty good.
If you're a little more into the 'dark side' stuff, the PSP has a thriving homebrew community. That's the main reason I got my PSP. There are some pretty nifty applications out there.

PSP is an ok portable with a few highlights that make it worth it depending on what your tastes and intentions are.

Just figured I'd make a positive PSP post, just this once. Anyone who knows me for 5 minutes can probably guess what I voted though.

The Devil Man
10-26-2006, 02:11 PM
I've seen GBA SP and Micro's for $100AUD. The DS costs $180AUD. I'd rather get a DS than buy both a DS and a GBA. =\ Even if they are as cheap as you say, you're still saving, unless you really don't want the DS side of things.

Edit:
I don't know why you wouldn't want the DS side of things, if you like the GBA games a lot to buy one, you're going to love a lot of the DS games.

Oh right. I get ya. In the UK they are getting much cheaper and places like Toys R Us or Game Station usually sell them for fairly low prices. I guess it's different in other countries.

I only have a couple of gripes against playing GBA games on the DS. The first, aside from the single black screen, is that you get a small black border around GBA games that aren't there on a GBA. And the second is that when you stick a GBA cartridge in a DSlite (which is what I have) it sticks out a little bit and, uhhh, it kinda irritates me.

But I'm just being fussy!

I had the GBA SP for a long time so thats why I just stick with that for GBA games. Might get a micro soon too as the screen is just beautiful. But I see your point too. If you don't have a GBA and it is still pricey in your own country, then yeah DS is great for GBA games.

Dreddz
10-26-2006, 02:29 PM
If you're deep into the fighting games and you might have an itch for some tekken or guilty gear in the middle of the day, then it's pretty good.
If you're a little more into the 'dark side' stuff, the PSP has a thriving homebrew community. That's the main reason I got my PSP. There are some pretty nifty applications out there.

Thats pretty much why I love my PSP so much. But the problem is is that you cant have both, with every new PSP game, its likely you'll have to upgrade your PSP. The newest updates dont allow homebrew. Its tough going.

Tidus Andronicus
10-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I prefer the DS... lol but i still have a DS fat... T_T i want a DS light... but i dont wanna give up my blue DS with the Retro Zelda sticker on top XD

PSP turned out to be just another handheld in a long list of handhelds, that couldn't compare to Nintendo's...

Roto13
10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I also have the old style DS, and I personally prefer it to the Lite model. But that's just me.

Nifleheim7
10-26-2006, 02:40 PM
DS for me.It's cheaper and imo it has a better line-up of games.But there are also some great games that are coming up for PSP as well(Level 5's Jeanne D'Arc is one of them),so i mind end up with both systems.

Dreddz
10-26-2006, 02:44 PM
PSP turned out to be just another handheld in a long list of handhelds, that couldn't compare to Nintendo's...

Errrmm not really. Compared to every handheld that battled a Nintendo handheld before, its probably done the best, and has potential to go as far as the DS. It has a good library now, and a decent future line-up. Your only lying saying otherwise.

Roto13
10-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Errrmm not really. Compared to every handheld that battled a Nintendo handheld before, its probably done the best, and has potential to go as far as the DS. It has a good library now, and a decent future line-up. Your only lying saying otherwise.

Kind of true. It has certainly done better than anything else that hasn't been a GBA or a DS. I would argue with you on the current lineup, though. There's not very much there worth trying, especially if you're not into ports. The future is looking pretty good.

Rainecloud
10-26-2006, 03:01 PM

True, the PSP has performed much better than the likes of Sega's Game Gear and the N-Gage, but that really isn't saying much, is it? Although the PSP has had success, it hasn't even come close to knocking Nintendo off the 'Hand Held Kings' throne.

As for the library of games? Well, there's a half-decent bunch of games there, no doubt, and there are some blockbusters on the way. However, the system still leaves much to be desired, as I said before with regards to the design and battery life. Upcoming releases for the system may well be awesome, but who wants to play them with that hideous 'analog control' abomination? Not me, that's for sure. :p

Sephex
10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I have both and I would have to say DS. My PSP is rarley used (which makes me glad that I got it as a gift).

Dreddz
10-26-2006, 03:04 PM

True, the PSP has performed much better than the likes of Sega's Game Gear and the N-Gage, but that really isn't saying much, is it? Although the PSP has had success, it hasn't even come close to knocking Nintendo off the 'Hand Held Kings' throne.

As for the library of games? Well, there's a half-decent bunch of games there, no doubt, and there are some blockbusters on the way. However, the system still leaves much to be desired, as I said before with regards to the design and battery life. Upcoming releases for the system may well be awesome, but who wants to play them with that hideous 'analog control' abomination? Not me, that's for sure. :p

That analog stick never bothered me...that much. I would say it needs improvement but I dont think its ever ruined a game. The updated PSP I heard fixes that problem.

JKTrix
10-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to what the 'PSPlite' is gonna be. I have issues with the buttons in general on the PSP that makes some of the games I'd want to play (mostly the fighters) not control as well as I'm used to.
I wouldn't be surprised of the next Sony portable has a touch screen. (http://www.newtechspy.com/articles06/sonypsi.html)

There is a PSP modchip, called 'Undiluted Platinum', that apparently allows you to have multiple firmware versions on it. You can still have the latest BS update from Sony to play new games, then hit some kind of switch to change to another firmware version so you can get your homebrew on. I don't have it myself, but I was considering getting it.

Cruise Control
10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Right now, I have no DS games, and one PSP games (I traded like five to get my DS Lite since I had been playing a GBA). Right now, DS is getting more love due to my FFTA challenge.

DS:
Tells me happy b-day!
Calander
Clock (that ticks!)
Backlight

PSP:
It's like an MP3 player while I sleep, but I don't need headphones
Homebrew
Internet
Nifty Applivations

The deciding factor is that my PSP can play Lumines.

EDIT: That page sucks. It wouldn't trust them, they can't even properly format a page. First teh indents aren't uniform (first paragraph has 4 dashes, the second only 3). And the indents are dashes that have a white color (highlight the article). COuldn't even use ;nbsp.

JKTrix
10-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, it's just a rumour, but when I look at Sony's history of hardware tweaks inspired by Nintendo, I really wouldn't be surprised if there were a touch screen in the future.

Get some more DS games! At least Meteos, which is made by the same people that did Lumines.

Cruise Control
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm saving up pocket change to by FF3, I'm at $29.73 USD. I want to get Wario Ware twisted, and Super Mario 64, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Advance Wars.

Rainecloud
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm saving up pocket change to by FF3, I'm at $29.73 USD. I want to get Wario Ware twisted, and Super Mario 64, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Advance Wars.

Are you sure you want Mario 64 DS? It's not much better than the original game (and that wasn't exactly brilliant, either, in my opinion). Save your money and buy Yoshi's Island DS on December 1st. :p

I almost forgot about PSP's Homebrew/Emulator goodies. I nearly bought a PSP purely to stuff it full of emulators and ancient games, but backed out when I realised the new versions had upgraded firmware that wouldn't allow me to do so. =/

NINJA_Ryu
10-27-2006, 12:52 AM
For me, when you can make a redesign of a game before your opposition, your in the lead. PSP offers the same thing as the GBA did, but with a few more buttons, better sund and graphics. The DS however, has Multiple ways you can play, whether it is drawing, following, tapping, or rolling the stylus all across the screen! Plus playing my old GBA games is a plus!

Mogi
10-27-2006, 12:55 AM
As a few people have stated it so far, it doesn't need to be highlighted too much, but just the fact that there's so much wrong with the PSP is enough for me to vote DS.

There is an excuse though, PSP is the first Playstation portable gaming device. There will be better ones to come, I assure you.

Cruise Control
10-27-2006, 01:00 AM
Are you sure you want Mario 64 DS? It's not much better than the original game (and that wasn't exactly brilliant, either, in my opinion). Save your money and buy Yoshi's Island DS on December 1st.

I almost forgot about PSP's Homebrew/Emulator goodies. I nearly bought a PSP purely to stuff it full of emulators and ancient games, but backed out when I realised the new versions had upgraded firmware that wouldn't allow me to do so. =/We all know you hate SM64, your quite out-spoken in that regard. Buy a PSP, theres programs to downgrade your firmware.

Malboro_Menace
10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Whats really pissing me off is the idiots who see me and friends playing DS (say Mariokart DS) and call us DS nerds... And come up with stupid arguements about how the PSP 'poons' the DS.

Oh yeah, you should get Children of Mana too. That looks like a good game.

Ashi
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I got a PSP for one or two games because not many interest me. My DS game collection, however, is still rapidly growing. Many many fun games!

Chloe.
10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
DS :bigsmile:

Cookie
10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Since I own a PSP, I should go with that. :D

Reine
10-28-2006, 07:58 AM
I used to think PSP was better.

fantasyjunkie
10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I have both and enjoy both. I use my PSP for music and UMD movies and my DS for games. :)