PDA

View Full Version : I quit!

Xander
10-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Have you ever quit a job, like cos you weren't happy or something pissed you off? (as in rather than just naturally moving on or circumstances etc).

What about if you didn't know what else you would do? If it got too much would you just leave?

My job is making me pretty unhappy at the moment but then I guess it's about how you look at things - perhaps I'm supposed to be dealing with the crappy times and just getting on with it. But it's like, I have to make sure we have enough money to pay my wages, I am the only actual employee, my boss doesn't work at the company, I work alone 2.5 days a week. I just hate the atmosphere lately, and then he complains that we don't have enough money. I feel like I have too many worries for my age!

But do all jobs have those sort of worries, and you just have to get on with it? I'm being a bit more honest with him now that I'm not happy but it's starting to get to me. I feel like it's too much pressure, and long hours, especially the fairly minimal wage I'm on, I'm web designer, secretary, accountant, manager.... and so on.

I mean it's not hard work and it's what I wanna do but yeah.. perhaps the grass is always greener or something? Even though its not physical work it's making me feel so run down and crappy lately. Anybody gone through anything similar...?

abrojtm
10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty inherintly not a quitter, I've only left my jobs because of moving away, or moving up.

What exactly do you do for your profession? (Two and a half days/week doesn't really seem like long hours to me, unless by day you mean 24 hours, and 60 hours isn't <i>that</i> bad if you're getting time and a half.)

Blackout
10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Have you ever quit a job, like cos you weren't happy or something pissed you off? (as in rather than just naturally moving on or circumstances etc).

What about if you didn't know what else you would do? If it got too much would you just leave?

My job is making me pretty unhappy at the moment but then I guess it's about how you look at things - perhaps I'm supposed to be dealing with the crappy times and just getting on with it. But it's like, I have to make sure we have enough money to pay my wages, I am the only actual employee, my boss doesn't work at the company, I work alone 2.5 days a week. I just hate the atmosphere lately, and then he complains that we don't have enough money. I feel like I have too many worries for my age!

But do all jobs have those sort of worries, and you just have to get on with it? I'm being a bit more honest with him now that I'm not happy but it's starting to get to me. I feel like it's too much pressure, and long hours, especially the fairly minimal wage I'm on, I'm web designer, secretary, accountant, manager.... and so on.

I mean it's not hard work and it's what I wanna do but yeah.. perhaps the grass is always greener or something? Even though its not physical work it's making me feel so run down and crappy lately. Anybody gone through anything similar...?

No, I haven't.But depression Isn't healthy, and If That's what your dealing with lately, then mybe you should consider quitting.:( I mean. Just trying to help. That's all.

Xander
10-26-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm not depressed, just...I dunno, depressed with work maybe :p My profession is what I mentioned... web designer, secretary, accountant, manager. It's meant to be web designer mostly though.

And I mean I work alone 2.5 days a week. I work 9.30-6.30 5 days a week, I jsut only have someone else working with me for 2.5 of them. (so half basically). I just really find working with others helps for morale, advice etc. I guess it's hard to explain, I suppose I've been given the chance to run a company which is great in a way. It just feels so pressuring sometimes.

escobert
10-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Every job I've had I've quit :p and the reason I've quit was because I was uhappy. I wouldn't quit if I was happy with me job :P

Shlup
10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
My freshman year of college I got a job at a Target as a floor person or whatever. The person who hangs out in a department and spends all damn day trying to make the place look clean. I had morning classes, so when I applied I said I would work until 11pm.

They scheduled me from 4pm to 10pm, so I was pleased. My first day I was in the seasonal department, and near Hallowee, which is the worst department. Masks everywhere. Costume bags torn open. Miserable. Ten gets close and I'm talking with my co-workers and I say "Well at least we're off soon." And they laugh. And I'm like "What?" And they say it's cute that I think we get off at 10pm. Apparently Target's policy is to schedule people until 10pm and then expect them to stay until 1 or 2am cleaning the store.

By my fourth day I was taking twenty minute breaks. By my fifth day I was talking on my cell phone while working. By my sixth day I was meeting BJ at the Carl's Jr. across the parking lot for an impromptu lunch break. On my seventh day I went to the office at 10pm, filled out a resignation form, and left. I guess I'm lucky that I've never been wanting enough for money to stand for poor treatment.

Rocket Edge
10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah i have, i remember i was treated like crap for two weeks so i told him where to go.

Rostum
10-27-2006, 12:12 AM
I used to work retail, that pissed me off a lot and I quit. Not to mention they cut back my hours by a lot after christmas ended. Target just sucks!

Jebus
10-27-2006, 12:17 AM
I quit my first job at Burger King after a month and a half of working there. Haven't had a job since.

Miriel
10-27-2006, 12:37 AM
When I worked at American Eagle, the manager kept telling me to SMILE even when I was in the back room sorting through the clothes. It's like, ok, I understand smiling to customers and doing the whole, "Hi! Anything I can help you with today?" (even though that itself was hugely annoying to me) but being perky even when I was in the back where no customers could see me? Oh hell no.

I quit cause I couldn't handle being super perky all the time and working in a retail clothing store just plain sucks. It sucks. Folding and folding and standing around smiling at people. So not me.

Jack
10-27-2006, 01:34 AM
I used to be a Bottle Collecter at a pub. It just so happens that I had to tidy the shed, organise deliveries, clean the pub, carry crates, carry kegs...
All for £7 a week. Plus, it was costing £3 in bus fare.

Quit that!

Yamaneko
10-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Nobody likes a quitter.

Dreddz
10-27-2006, 01:54 AM
I quit because I can.

Avarice-ness
10-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Nope, but there were some days when I worked at JcPenney's that I got annoyed and walked out, then one time I was suppose to go to lunch and had an 'Office Space' moment and punched out instead of lunch, and my friend Lisa was all "Uh... Ashley where are you going" "Not to lunch that's for sure" "Alright see you tomorrow!"

'cause the store needed people horribly so they never fired me, I ended up moving. I say don't quit, make them fire you so you can get unemployment. =D

RiseToFall
10-27-2006, 02:16 AM
I used to work as a telemarketer a while back and we would have to try to get donations for fire fighters and police officers. It's too bad that 90% of the people who donated didn't know that only about 10% of the money they gave actually got to the fire fighters and police. The only way we could reveal that information is if the person we called, asked, no other way. (all the conversations were recorded)

So after two months I got fed up with all the lying and how much I annoyed people and just quit. I felt much better after that, even though I'm sure some other person took my position. I was just happy that it wasn't me who was basically stealing money from people.

Skarr
10-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, my last job was just to fucked up. I had like at least 4 bosses and all of them were dicks.

So I just quit. Went away to my gramms for the summer and came back for college.

I occasionally find myself missing those days though. They were good times and I made good friends. But I'll never go back. That's why you kids should stay in school, or your boss will be as bitchy as Kishi is over the Wii pun titles.

Acid Raine
10-27-2006, 04:27 AM
then one time I was suppose to go to lunch and had an 'Office Space' moment and punched out instead of lunch, and my friend Lisa was all "Uh... Ashley where are you going" "Not to lunch that's for sure" "Alright see you tomorrow!"

:lol:

Bunny
10-27-2006, 04:41 AM
I have only ever quit one job. Although I have only ever had one job that I could actually quit, so I guess that means something.

First off, I worked for a company with my brother and my aunt. I worked directly with my brother the majority of the time and my aunt was in the office next door. One day, shortly after Christmas, I got in a massive fight with my brother and it escalated to a violent fist fight. I decided that I did not want to work with him, called my boss the next day and said that I quit.

I am not a quitter. But I am also out for my own happiness more or less all of the time. I knew that I would not be happy if I continued to work with my brother, so there was no purpose in keeping my job. It was only a filler anyway.

Rainecloud
10-27-2006, 06:57 AM
I used to think about quitting my job, but I never went through with it. I only thought about quitting after something bad happened, like a telling off from the manager (for no good reason), or a conflict with one of the other members of staff. However, I quickly regained my senses and decided not to quit.

Aside from those few problems, I'm really happy in my job, so I have no good reason to throw in the towel, so to speak.

Nominus Experse
10-27-2006, 07:04 AM
I was going to quit and move onto better oportunities (superior pay, hours, etc...); however, I realized that I needed the extra money of keeping that job and continuing on and acquiring this new job.

So now I have two jobs, one of which I work for five days and the other I work for six or seven days. Kind of makes my schedule an interesting one though:

10:00PM - 6:30AM
10:30AM - 3:00/5:00PM

14+ Hour days rock... I guess.

One job gives me minimum wage and the other is a little more than minimum, but it's a sad thing when I get to the end of a day and realize that I have made an abysmal amount for working my ass off for 14 hours...

Having a job has inspired me to do one thing, and that is this:
Go to fucking college - promptly.

My father makes as much money as I do in one day. And I work two jobs - he works for around 8 or so hours at one job. He went to college. I am going to college.

Working at the bottom levels sucks so terribly it's amazing...

Xander
10-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with quitting something for good reasons... :p Not doing it cos you'll look like a quitter is silly, it's like thinking you're a coward if you don't get in a fight or something. It's just about lifestyle, and if work ends up taking over your whole life... you know. Maybe it's time for a change. But hopefully things will get better at my job soon, more people back with me, etc...I'm gonna stay there just gonna make sure I talk about things that aren't making me happy.

I guess I get bored too easily too...xD but yeah it has a lot of perks too like listening to music all day, etc. *stops whining* ^_^