PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat!

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Who else here likes Mortal Kombat? Part of the reason I like it is because it's a childhood memory. I used to play it all the time when I was in Kindergarten/1st grade. The first time I played it was when I was 4 or 5. It was at a small arcade in Dairy Queen. I picked the character Baraka, who is still one of my favorite characters. I remember my dad smiling at me while I was playing the game, because it was so violent. I enjoyed the violence. I remember I got beat by the Blue Baraka, and he walked up to me and chopped my head off and blood was splattering all over the place. I started laughing loudly at the scene, and so did my dad.

Then, I began playing it again. I used to rent MK Trilogy at the local renting store. I got the game whenever I could, and I loved it. I always played as Goro, Raiden, Scorpion, any of the other Ninjas, Baraka, Centaro, and probably more. I loved this game, and I still do love it. My current favorite characters are:

Raiden
Scorpion
Goro
Sub-Zero
Noob Saibot
The Cyber Ninjas
Shao Khan
Baraka

Discuss MK!!

Rostum
10-29-2006, 02:35 AM
I do really like Mortal Kombat. Well, I've never played the 3D ones.

Just some really good memories, on all the old systems. But these games were so much better in the arcades that I used to go to (where there was a roller skating ring), I can't remember how young I was, probably 5-7.

This and Street Fighter 1 & 2 in the arcades was just pure awesome sauce.

Iven
10-29-2006, 02:43 AM
I remember challenging my friends, and then losing. My favorite character is Scorpion.

Markus. D
10-29-2006, 03:05 AM
I loved MK Ultimate :D

my faveorite characters were the Sisters, Sub-Zero (duh... freeze the enemy to death) and also Chameleon for her unpredictable attacks.

oddler
10-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Mortal Kombat was the game I played between any other game when I was in middle school. My dad, my brother, and I played so much that we eventually got insanely good. I couldn't dream of having reaction skills like that again unless I "trained" for a good month. :)

We used to pick the mode in MK3 where you could pick a set of four (not sure of the actual number) characters in a row and fight. However, we were so crazy obsessed that we could do a random choice tournament and, no matter who the four characters were that the computer selected, we would know most of their moves, most of their fatalities, animalities, and a bunch of those ludicrous 7+ hit combos.

I love thinking about the good old days when I had such talent. I really suck at games lately compared to what I used to be able to do. :(

Oh, and favorite characters:
MK2 - Mileena, Reptile, and Baraka
MK3 - Nightwolf, Cyrax, and Sindel

Rainecloud
10-29-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm not a huge fan of fighting games, but I do like a few select ones, with Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur being the standout exceptions. The gameplay in Mortal Kombat didn't impress me too much, but the graphics, characters and fatalities sure did. I'd never seen anything quite so gruesome in a video game as a child, so it shocked and impressed me at the same time.

'The Pit' was a household favourite. :D

Spammerman
10-29-2006, 07:35 AM
Trilogy is one of my fav games of all time. I kicked ass with sub zero.

Dreddz
10-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Back in their Megadrive days, they werent that bad, maybe because games those days didnt have much depth. Nowadays, their flawed in nearly all aspects of gameplay. People are conned out of their money with cheap fatalities which serve no purpose at all. Gameplay is stiff and horribly simple.

Ive been around the block when it comes to fighting games, and I rank MK one of the worst out there.

Jowy
10-29-2006, 07:08 PM
We still attempt to play Mortal Kombat 3 sometimes. Liu Kang's bicycle kick sound brings back memories. <3

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Back in their Megadrive days, they werent that bad, maybe because games those days didnt have much depth. Nowadays, their flawed in nearly all aspects of gameplay. People are conned out of their money with cheap fatalities which serve no purpose at all. Gameplay is stiff and horribly simple.

Ive been around the block when it comes to fighting games, and I rank MK one of the worst out there.

...Basically all the classic versions besides the PSX and arcade ones, sucked, because blood was removed/dubbed down.

I think the gameplay is pretty smooth. I play MK: Deadly Alliance and it's pretty smooth. It has features such as switching fighting styles, and you actually have to work to get secret characters and loads of other bonuses. If anything, it's far from simple.

Fatalities purposes are to simply, I don't know, kick their ass in the awesomest way imaginable?

RiseToFall
10-30-2006, 08:10 AM
I would take the old school MK over the new ones any day. MK: Deadly Alliance and Deception had horribly broken gameplay, and I'm guessing Armageddon isn't any better. I honestly don't think they could have made the characters any stiffer even if they tried to. If you want to play good fighting games I suggest you pick up SF: 3rd Strike, any SC, and pretty much any Tekken.

There's a reason why one of the ones I mentioned is in bold.

Levian
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Reptile and Baraka!

Venom
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Sub-Zero.:cool:

Rainecloud
10-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Just a quick question: I know the Snes version of MK was edited due to "too much violence", but what happened to the blood? I don't remember there being any blood in the game at all, but one of my friends has stated that it definitely contained green blood.

Anyone remember?

Dreddz
10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Fatalities purposes are to simply, I don't know, kick their ass in the awesomest way imaginable?

There a gimic now, nothing more.

If you want to play good fighting games I suggest you pick up SF: 3rd Strike, any SC, and pretty much any Tekken.

Yes. Genji, your mind has been warped into thinking MK can hold up to any other fighter. I suggest you play these and take a long hard think whether you should still be playing MK.

Rostum
10-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Ok Dreddz, get over it. We all know you love Street Fighter.

Some of us actually like MK for the nostalgic attachments. It was defenately up there with Street Fighter 1 & 2 when they were released. They both were absolutely fun in their day.

I haven't played any new SF or MK games that are new though, so I won't make much judgement on those. I can't see where it's gone too wrong though, I'm sure there's some fun factors in both games, maybe one requires more skill than the other, who cares that much?

Sylvie
10-31-2006, 03:19 AM
Yes. Genji, your mind has been warped into thinking MK can hold up to any other fighter. I suggest you play these and take a long hard think whether you should still be playing MK.

Okay, Dreddz. I'll tell you what. I'll tell you that I played Street Fighter, I own every Tekken for the PS & PS2, and have SC II and III. My mind hasn't been fucking warped, because you simply think that every game you like is the best game for everybody, and everybody else sucks for liking a game that you don't. I can agree that Tekken and SC have way better gameplay, but my mind isn't warped just because I like Mortal Kombat. Jesus christ.

PS: And I've been playing Tekken and SF excessively ever since I was 4 years old, so don't give me that crap about "You don't know a good fighter at all".

Skarr
10-31-2006, 03:24 AM
The first two Mortal Kombat games owned my life. My brothers and I totally kicked ass in those games back then. It's a good game and I love it, besides who could resist "Finish Him".

XxSephirothxX
10-31-2006, 03:27 AM
I've had fun with a few games in the series, but I wouldn't ever purchase one of them. I think most, if not all, of the other fighting games I've played were better. But Mortal Kombat has some pretty entertaining characters, and, of course, the over-the-top Fatalities are always very amusing. Raiden in Unreal Championship 2 was pretty badass.

Markus. D
10-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Raiden in Unreal Championship 2 was fail...

pwning Vampire lady ftw!

though Raiden had a neat teleport thing... well yeah, thats about all I enjoyed ._.

Dreddz
10-31-2006, 12:34 PM

Okay, Dreddz. I'll tell you what. I'll tell you that I played Street Fighter, I own every Tekken for the PS & PS2, and have SC II and III. My mind hasn't been smurfing warped, because you simply think that every game you like is the best game for everybody, and everybody else sucks for liking a game that you don't. I can agree that Tekken and SC have way better gameplay, but my mind isn't warped just because I like Mortal Kombat. Jesus christ.

PS: And I've been playing Tekken and SF excessively ever since I was 4 years old, so don't give me that crap about "You don't know a good fighter at all".

No, I dont think any game I like is the best game for everyone, I just know there a hell of alot better than Mortal Kombat. Im telling you as fact that Mortal Kombat cannot compare to what else is on the market.

I find it a little weird how you can acknowledge Mortal Kombat in the same way as other fighters. The fact that most people that have posted only praise the series because of nostalgia shows that the series has nothing going for it.

Markus. D
10-31-2006, 12:49 PM
mmmm, people, Dreddz is right.

the battle system has always been in ruins.

whether it be Imbalances or just overall Button Mashyness of the older ones...

eh, donno n_n"

Sefie1999AD
10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
It's funny, my friends and I were saying things like "Animality!", "Round one: (Cat)fight!" and "Finish him! Fatality!" today. I played MK and MK2 when I was a kid. They were decent games, although I remember getting frustrated at them very often when some fights were really annoying. I tried several characters, though I did the best with Sub-Zero in MK, and Kitana in MK2. Defeating Kintaro was the hardest part for me in MK2.

Another fighting game I used to play was One Must Fall 2097, a robot fighting game. It was fun enhancing the robot, and while Jaguar and Electra were nice bots, it was great to get Nova, although Nova was quite weak until you could get most of its upgrades.

I liked it how Toonstruck made some fun of fighting games in the land of Cutopia. The inhabitants were playing games like Sweetfighter and Mortal Wombat. :D

Lionx
11-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Although i like Mortal Kombat as a nostaligic and silly game, i wouldnt pass it up as a real competitive and deep fighting game. In that regard, yes i agree with Dreddz, however if you arent playing it for competition/tournament-play, its a very fun game xD;

I dont usually play MK, all i play is lately 2D fighters that are played competitively(SF: Hyper Fighting, CvS2, Third Strike..etc), but as far as story and just for fun factor, its not too bad, but for actual competitive play i find it lacking, i dont know about the new ones but the old ones are definetly lacking. It doesnt want to keep me putting quarters up for it and doesnt want me to improve and play more in general compared to other games. The Fatalities, while nice, are just eye candy mostly unlike Guilty Gear XX's One Hit KOs(even though its crappy to use...it did win me a few rounds occasionally...).

So as a fighter i find it lacking, however as a fun game? Its definetly fun, just not in the same sense as more competitive fighters out there.

Sylvie
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Yes. Genji, your mind has been warped into thinking MK can hold up to any other fighter. I suggest you play these and take a long hard think whether you should still be playing MK.Okay, Dreddz. I'll tell you what. I'll tell you that I played Street Fighter, I own every Tekken for the PS & PS2, and have SC II and III. My mind hasn't been smurfing warped, because you simply think that every game you like is the best game for everybody, and everybody else sucks for liking a game that you don't. I can agree that Tekken and SC have way better gameplay, but my mind isn't warped just because I like Mortal Kombat. Jesus christ.

No, I dont think any game I like is the best game for everyone, I just know there a hell of alot better than Mortal Kombat. Im telling you as fact that Mortal Kombat cannot compare to what else is on the market.

I find it a little weird how you can acknowledge Mortal Kombat in the same way as other fighters. The fact that most people that have posted only praise the series because of nostalgia shows that the series has nothing going for it.

When exactly have I said that it compared to those other games?