PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PS2 Online Play

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 06:52 AM
Alright, so I picked up Monster Hunter and I wanna play it online. Yeah, I can get a 50 foot ethernet cable, but why not go online?

The problem I'm having is getting there. I have a PS2 Slim with the network adaptor built in. I have a wireless router. Do I need to buy anything else for this to work online?

Mirage
10-29-2006, 07:47 AM
I don't see what it is you are asking for here, but I can try to give a generic answer.
The slim PS2 does not have a wireless network card. In order to connect the PS2 to your home network, you have to use an ethernet cable and connect it to a switch or a router.
If you have a wireless router, chances are that it also has sockets for ethernet cables.
If you absolutely want to, you could buy another wireless access point, use a cable to connect it to the PS2, and have that wireless access point be connected to your wireless router. I think that is a very backwards solution though, and I don't see the big idea of using wireless connections for devices you don't move around a lot.

I made a neat visualisation of how it would turn out.

"Wireless-thing" is the wireless access point I mentioned it is a unit that you need to buy. It doesn't care what you connect to it, as long as it's got network support, therefore, you can connect a PS2 to it just as you can connect for example a PC to it. Both options require you to buy a network cable, though the first option would need a shorter cable than the second, but it would also cost a lot more, and be harder to set up.

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Alright, I'll just connect my PS2 with an ethernet cord.

Mirage
10-29-2006, 08:01 AM
That is a way too short and simple answer to such a long post. ;_;

Sylvie
10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I just looked at your visualization. Until I have enough cash to buy the device, my only option is to use the ethernet cord in option 2.