PDA

View Full Version : Can't download .max file

Xander
10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
This may be a long shot, but I know there were a few people here before who did a bit of 3D modelling and stuff so..

My problem is that a colleague of mine from elsewhere uploaded a file, a .max file, but somebody else who needs it can't download it. The file is here - http://www.aerian.com/files/laguna/chapter6.max (one of them, there is a few), and it definately *is* there on the server, I have downloaded it via FTP to my computer. (it was uploaded from elsewhere).

I thought it may be something to do with folder permissions or something, but I can upload an image there and you can download that fine - http://www.aerian.com/files/laguna/woof.gif

I've tried directly going to the files and also creating links to right click - download them but no luck. I'm resorting to downloading all of the files and zipping them then reuploading. Which is a little time consuming for the guy waiting, and it annoys me because they are already there!

Google searches fail me of any answers for once too ;_;

I suppose seeing if I could download a .max from elsewhere would give me some clue as to where the problem lies but if anyone knows, then yay.

Dr Unne
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
That server looks like it's running IIS. Ew. It has to be something misconfigured in the server. Could be file permissions being too restrictive, or IIS could be doing some kind of filtering.

You could rename the file and remove the extension, and tell people to re-add the extension after they download it.

Xander
10-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Good idea, the second, we just ended up zipping them now. Why is IIS ew? I guess cos it's a windows thing? (not the biggest expert on it :p)

crono_logical
10-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Windows, not the fastest, plus insecure especially if you don't bother to keep patches up to date :p

Samuraid
10-31-2006, 10:59 AM
IIS can outperform apache depending on the configuration, but it's about 64564564 times as hard to configure and administrate.