PDA

View Full Version : Streets of Rage Series

Rainecloud
10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Ah, the memories. I fondly recall beating the crap out of 'Chains' and '8-Ball' and their fellow cronies in this amazing series. In fact, I think I'm going to go and dig out the original cartridges and have a go right now.

Which Streets of Rage game is your favourite out of the trilogy? Personally, number 2 is my favourite by far. Although the first game was an enjoyable scrap, 2 contains many more features, better controls, better graphics and great levels, not to mention the bosses. Although SOR 3 was also good, it lacked the depth of the previous games and didn't contain enough levels ... although the subway train stage was awesome.

Your opinions?

I Am Stoner
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Streets Of Rage 2 pawns all of them. Its so class!!!!

XxSephirothxX
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
One of my friends had Streets of Rage 2, and we used to play that co-op all the time when we were kids. Man, was that fun. I don't think we ever beat it, though. :p

~SapphireStar~
10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I only played Streets of Rage 1 and I did enjoy it. I was always Blaze ^^ Go girl!

Dreddz
10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
I still have the original cartridges of the trilogy. I think its agreed by a number of people that the second was the best, but I always prefered the original. Dunno why, maybe the nostalgia...

RiseToFall
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm a huge fan of this series and greatly wish that I still had my Genesis so that I could re-live some of those memories. Hopefully I'll be able to download this beauty with the Wii.

As far as favorite goes, 2 has always been my (and from the looks of it, mostly everyone else's) favorite.

Spatvark
10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Only the best series of side-scrolling beat-'em-up's ever. So much love for these games, I've played them so many times it's ridiculous. I'm at the stage where I can complete all of them on the hardest difficulties without losing a life.

Streets of Rage 1 is one of the first games I played on the Megadrive, since it was in the Mega Games 2 pack, along with Golden Axe 1 (which wasn't nearly as good) and Revenge of Shinobi. The best level was blatantly number 7. Throwing people off the elevator is hilarious to this day. I also really liked the bosses in this game, and the twist at the end when played in 2-player mode. After fighting your way to the final boss by your partner's side, turning on them and beating the crap out of each other is sheer awesomeness. Blaze was the best character for this game, her speed and jumping attacks are far more useful than the power of Axel and Adam.

Streets of Rage 2 is definitely the best in the series though, especially during the frantic fights in the last two stages, including the factory elevator and going toe-to-toe with Shiva. The only issue with the game really is Axel's "Grand Uppercut" move (Forwards, Forwards, Attack) being too powerful, though doing it backwards is quite amusing. Max is definitely my favourite character in the game, though Axel is the easier player to finish it with.

Streets of Rage 3 added a lot of cool stuff, like rolling, running (for all characters), and it beefed up the Blitz attacks (Double Forwards, Attack), but Zan wasn't nearly as good a character as Max was, the final boss is ridiculous, and they dummied out Ash in the US version! Ash was so much awesome (Think Hard Gay meets The Village People!) But you can play as Shiva, which makes everything alright.

Of course, I'd love to see an SoR4, but it'll never happen. There's a few development videos of what they once tried up on Youtube, but it's long since died. Personally, I'd love to see a new 2d one on the GBA or something =D~

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-30-2006, 07:39 PM
The third one had Ash, therefore it's obviously the best by far.

http://www.lastupload.com/files/23/ash.gif

Captain Maxx Power
10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Don't act like you didn't get "special feelings" playing with Blaze back in the day. :jokey:

In other news;

LOL, UN-PC!

Rainecloud
10-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Don't act like you didn't get "special feelings" playing with Blaze back in the day. :jokey:

I'll admit to that.

In fact, you get a panty shot if you pause the game mid-jump. :rolleyes2

Xander
10-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Didn't you send them to me? Well hopefully you still have some :p I havent even played it ashamedly. Some of the music is cool though.

Roto13
10-30-2006, 08:58 PM

I was actually going to mention him. :P

For any of you going "WTF?", Ash was a boss in Bare Knuckle 3 (the Japanese version of Streets of Rage 3), but was removed from the American version because he was... well... gay. Censorship policies and such. He's actually playable in the American version if you use a Game Genie.

You know, all three games were in the Japanese version of Sonic Gems collection, but were removed from the American version to keep the ESRB rating down. Boo!

Sephex
10-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Me and a buddy of mine used to play Streets of Rage 3 all the time. So many great memories of that game!

Rainecloud
10-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Didn't you send them to me? Well hopefully you still have some :p I havent even played it ashamedly. Some of the music is cool though.

They were duplicates, but cherished nonetheless. :)