PDA

View Full Version : light-sabers make no sense!

boys from the dwarf
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
on the subjectstar wars i've just this second had a thought.

how do lightsabers deflect each others blows?

there all focussed light beams so shouldn't they just pass straight through each other?

i know theres probably an answer to make sense of this so *waits for star wars fan to see this.*

Jowy
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
It's the force, dude.

Sergeant Hartman
10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
:eek: Disgust!

Twilight Edge
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
It's the force, dude.

QFT. The force is with them.:p

Flying Mullet
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
It's just a movie. :rolleyes2

XxSephirothxX
10-31-2006, 04:13 PM
They work because they are awesome. End of story.

BarelySeeAtAll
10-31-2006, 04:16 PM
light sabers are actually little crystals, so they would be able to hit solid objeects wwithout passing straight through. . . i love my brother for telling me that, now i know it realy would help me!!!

Rainecloud
10-31-2006, 04:41 PM
The beams are generated using identical sub-molecular frequencies that do not modulate; thus, they cannot penetrate the sub-space field within the constituted boundaries of the saber.

Got it?

I Don't Need A Name
10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
light sabers are actually little crystals, so they would be able to hit solid objeects wwithout passing straight through. . . i love my brother for telling me that, now i know it realy would help me!!!

haha yes, they are little crystals, but the light is focused through those crystals, to create their colour and power, nothing to do with being able to hit solid objects. Raineclouds explination sounds more the sheilds on the U.S.S. Enterprise, but yeah

Rainecloud
10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Rainecloud's explanation sounds more the shields on the U.S.S. Enterprise, but yeah

I'm pretty sure they must use the same principle.

Edit: if they were real. :p

I Don't Need A Name
10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
haha yeah they do, cos they decide to constantly modulate them, to stop the borg lasers penatrating them. and they OBVIOUSLY are real :rolleyes2 =P

I Am Stoner
10-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Lightsabes rock. End of story.

~SapphireStar~
10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
It's the force, dude.
QFT ^^

Ryushikaze
10-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Contained energies within weak forcefields- or tubes, technically, but details details- that usually interact weakly with surrounding matter (to allow for the heating of said matter),but interact strongly with themselves. Or at least that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.

For other SW based questions, feel free to head on over to Stardestroyer.net, which may just answer some of them.

Bunny
10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
You all make very compelling arguments.

In rebuttle I offer the following:

It is make believe.

McLovin'
10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Because the lasers are SPECIALLY designed to deflect only other LASERS.

The question is how fricken sharks can shoot fricken laser beams from their fricken heads?

Ryushikaze
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
You all make very compelling arguments.

In rebuttle I offer the following:

It is make believe.

Remember this any time you are ever critical of the special effects in any movie ever.

Because the lasers are SPECIALLY designed to deflect only other LASERS.

The question is how fricken sharks can shoot fricken laser beams from their fricken heads?

Lightsabers aren't lasers. And they can actually be set to deflect matter too (EX: Maul using his sabre as a prop, EU instances of deflecting flechettes and such), it's just not part of the default settings.

And to answer the second, by flexing. Duh.

Quindiana Jones
10-31-2006, 07:36 PM
They're your normal average sticks dunked in uranium or any other highly radioactive matter. That is the glowing sorted.

The sound is simply the people using it. Voosh. Pzzrt!

Sticks are solid, so that explains the ability to be solid.

And the whole "being able to chop anything" thing...well. In that particular galaxy, everything is really shoddy. So their "concrete" is nothing more than a a substance that is really soft, like butter, called Butterinium. And those "metal" droids, yeah right, they're made from Greasatium.

BarelySeeAtAll
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
sposedly, if the lil crystals arent lined up properly, all straight and that, then the lightsaber would go BANG!!!!!!

Ryushikaze
10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm curious where you're getting that from, since the only instance of an exploding saber has to do with a badly flawed crystal, not a misaligned one.

If the thing isn't aligned properly, the thing simply won't work.

boys from the dwarf
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
meh. i knew light sabers maked sense.

i just wanted to know.

i agree with lots of these, "its just a movie" and "its make believe things."

The beams are generated using identical sub-molecular frequencies that do not modulate; thus, they cannot penetrate the sub-space field within the constituted boundaries of the saber.

Got it?

you just made that up to sound cool/clever! (or nerdy.)

anyway. i was bored when i made this thread so, enjoy.

BarelySeeAtAll
10-31-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm curious where you're getting that from, since the only instance of an exploding saber has to do with a badly flawed crystal, not a misaligned one.

If the thing isn't aligned properly, the thing simply won't work.

mih, my big bro=MAJOR SW FAN!!!

Ryushikaze
10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Same here, with a bent towards the technology- inconsistent as it is within the EU. I do not recall this occuring often, hence my question as to a source for it. I planned on going and double checking.

Skarr
11-01-2006, 01:47 AM
The mere fact that so much thought went into this is pretty shocking. I mean wow. Two words...
http://forums.eyesonff.com/user/photo/profilepic15201_11.gif

Captain Maxx Power
11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I think the main explanation behind it is that it's actually self-contained plasma particles, which have a definitive mass and density when compared to pure light particles. However the energy required to contain such an energy would be immense, hence why the idea of containing it in a small handheld device is slightly ludicrous.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Mace Windu isn't special enough to deserve a different coloured saber

BarelySeeAtAll
11-01-2006, 11:04 AM

aww, you know thats harsh, after him dying and all, what colour shouls he have?green like yodas?or is he not special enough?i spose its a blue for him then?

NorthernChaosGod
11-01-2006, 11:56 AM

^That's racist!