PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Language and Alphabets.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Heyy!! Just begging for some advice from people!
I started learning Japanese about a month and a half ago.
I've learnt a little bit of basic japanese.
But it's the alphabets I can't jam in my head... I have Hiragana and Katakana charts and a print out of the 1st Grade Kanji... but here's the problem... how they hell do you remember them?
Kanji's not all that important to me right now but I need to learn Hiragana and Katakana but I can only remember the hiragana for "n" and "ka". That's all I can remember no matter how much I read through the charts.
Does anyone have any tips for remembering them? (any ideas for remebering them even if it's not about these is helpful... hopefully..) Any vague ideas... anyone...?

fire_of_avalon
11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
I actually had this same problem when I tried to learn Russian. I could speak it just fine, but when it came to reading and writing I was completely lost. Eventually I just gave up, because it wasn't all that important to me.

My friends who take Japanese classes tell me it helps to actually use the language, so reading Japanese books/manga and writing journals in Japanese would be a good start.

Flying Mullet
11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
When I was learning Hiragana (and later Katakana), I practiced one line at a time. So first do the vowel line, then the 'K' line, then the 'S' line, then the 'T' line, and so on. I found this the easiest way to learn them. Don't worry if you don't have them all 100% at first because as you start working with the language more you'll learn that some characters are used more than others (and some are rarely used at all).

Odaisé Gaelach
11-01-2006, 03:28 PM
The best thing to do is to get classes in it, especially if you're starting from scratch. It's far too hard learning something like Russian (;) FOA) on your own. Go to classes.

Zeromus_X
11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, it's best to learn them one row at a time. Then eventually, as you use them more and practice them, you'll memorize them.

Having a formal class will help alot. I can't see anyone learning any language without one.

I personally found Hiragana easier to memorize than Katakana.

Edit: And the most important thing you need to remember is to get the stroke order correct! That's really important.

starseeker
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I found writing out each kana five times with the english written next to it to be really helpful.
Same goes for the kanji.