PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a name for novel

~SapphireStar~
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Im not sure if this is the place to put this (please move it if it isnt), but I need help with my novel I need to write for university. Its basically about a girl who battles agaisnt demons and vampires and has a demon slave. They have a bond like the bond between Miyu and Larva in Vampire Princess Miyu.

Im trying to think of a way she is able to have the demon as her slave, eg, she saved his life and he has to pay off the debt by serving her for enternity, something like that. But I dont know if such pacts excisted, so if anyone knows any decent demon history or knowlegde sites, it would be very helpful.

Also I want a name for my demon. He has a human form; red hair and blue eyes. I havent created a demon form as I want to use an actual demon name and demon description.

So I would love it if you guys could help, but please be serious with this please. Thanks guys ^^

Bunny
11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
The great thing about being a writer is, unless you are doing a non-fictional account of something, you can do pretty much whatever you want to do. Especially if you are including vampires and demons as antagonistic characters. Unless you are trying to get as close to reality as you can while including bits and pieces of fantasy, that is.

I'm not all up on Demonology or Vampire and Demon lore, but I'm fairly sure a pact that binds a demon to a human would have existed. Although I don't think saving a demons life would be part of the pact. I would try to swing a mutual agreement between the two, basing the Demons intentions on borderline parasitic reasoning. Both parties have something to gain in return for their working together, etc.

As far as the demonic name goes, what sort of personality are you going to give him? Are you using the levels of hells as described in something like Dante's Inferno or are you going for a general idea of a chaotic plane?

I've always found demonic names to be hard to pronounce and somewhat glutteral with little-to-no vowels in them. Something like Zzyxx if it would work. That isn't a very good suggestion for an actual name, just an example of something to build around. Knowing what kind of personality and history you are going to give the demon would help with suggesting a reasonable name.

EDIT: As an afterthought on the nature of the main character, since you used the term "slave" to describe her relationship with the demon I would figure that she has somewhat evil intentions or generally thinks bad about the character of the demon. As such, maybe just write it off as her not thinking he is important enough for a name, with insulting terms used instead. Or general "Demon" and other associated terms.

Martyr
11-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I take my titles from the story. A brilliant line, or a brilliant thought that you had to cut from the story is usually a great place to find titles.
Also, especially if it's a short story (though you've got a novel), the first line or first few words can be the title.

If you're looking for the name of the demon, then I need to know the context of the character. Is he funny, is he evil? Is it Biblically based or simply a fairytale demon? All these have connotations as to how the name can be.

In Warcraft, a Demon is named like Gul'Dan.
In comedy, he might be all red so you might call him "Red."
C.S. Lewis named one Screwtape.

It sounds to me like you're going more for a Screwtape style name. So think of his personality. Red hair. Male. Blue eyes. Red/Blue contrast in a mail might suggest that he's a very confrontational character. Also, red hair is consistently irish. Does he have addictions? You could call him, like, Tangleray. It counds a little harmless (He's a slave), but it, well, I'm enjoying it. But, whatever. Maybe you can see a pattern for name creating.

As for how she got a demon. Well, she made a deal with the devil and won. That's how you get that kind of stuff. Think of that song, The Devil Came Down to Georgia. She won the deal, got herself a demon slave, and the devil's been after her ass ever since.

The title's your own. But it sounds like you need the word "Bond" in it.

~SapphireStar~
11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Wow, both of you have given some great advice there. Well this demon is abit of a cheeky so and so, attractive in human form, could possible be a link to royality and my lead character does love him eventually. They do fall for each other. But at first, they dont get on so great, but in time they connect.

I like the idea of just calling him "Red" and maybe I'll have it that no human can pronunce his name, so he goes by the name "Red" which the lead character gives him. I like the thought of winning him from the Devil, that can be a good plot in the story.

Thank you both guys and I'll use the term Bond in the title also.

Breine
11-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I like the idea of just calling him "Red" and maybe I'll have it that no human can pronunce his name, so he goes by the name "Red" which the lead character gives him. I like the thought of winning him from the Devil, that can be a good plot in the story..

Yeah, that's a very good idea. Maybe you could have his "human name" be a contraction of his real name (the demon name) because his true name is unpronouncable and all :)

EDIT: I found a page with a big list of demon names: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/demonnames.htm

~SapphireStar~
11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for that link Breine ^^
I also found an interesting name generator site, so in case people need some help with stories, this site is excellent:
seventh sanctum (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-name.php)