PDA

View Full Version : Did you lose the first time you attempted the final battle?

feioncastor
11-01-2006, 10:00 PM
In most games that I play, by the time I arrive at the final boss, I'm totally ready to kill him. Like, with Final Fantasy VI, there are plenty of side quests to do that get you well-leveled up, so by the time you've done most of the side quests, you can take the last guy, easy. Likewise with FF7 and numerous other FF games.

But with this one, it seems like everyone dies on their first shot at Zeromus. I've noticed that when I want to win comfortably, I have to spend A LOT of time just leveling up. Sure, I could probably scrape by without the intensive rigorous training, but I mean if I want to go in there and not have any doubts, it takes a LONG time.

It seems like the average gamer arrives at Zeromus with a party that would be dead after 2 Big Bangs. A lot of people also missed handy things like the Crystal Sword and the other out-of-the-way equipment.

So, who else lost to that thing on their first attempt?

Jowy
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Being seven years old and not understanding the concept of 'level-grinding' or 'treasure hunting', I hit the ground after one Big Bang.

feioncastor
11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I was probably about the same age the first time I tried it. It's funny because we didn't own the game; we rented it. So then we moved away to a different city and of course, we couldn't take that copy of FF2 with us, so we lost our save file, right at the end. I didn't get a chance to buy the game until around 1997. That's kinda funny to think that, in a manner of speaking, it took me four years to beat Zeromus.

Evastio
11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I didn't know I was suppose to use the Crystal the first time I was facing Zeromus. :rolleyes2

NINJA_Ryu
11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I didn't know I was suppose to use the Crystal the first time I was facing Zeromus. :rolleyes2

i didnt catch on after i used bahamut twice

even then, rosa and ydia died, for less than 2000 hp.

cystal sword? never heard such a think..but i have some gengi, excalibue, and other weapons you find in the final dungeon.

Martyr
11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
I don't recall exactly, but I think it was one of the easiest boss fights I've ever had to fight in FF. I'm pretty sure I made an absolute mess of Zeromus, deemed his abilities unsatisfactory, and never played the game again because it was such a poor game graphically and, definitely, storywise, despite how cool Rydia is.

Where was I? Oh. Right.

This game is a joke, and I think the only times I died were not to the final boss but to the dragons and hardcore enemies of the final dungeon.

feioncastor
11-01-2006, 11:45 PM
You don't get the Excalibur in the final dungeon. You have to take a Rat Tail from the Land of Summoned Monsters to the Tail Collector who lives near Silvera. Then you have to bring the Adamant that he gives you down to Kokkol, and after a while, he turns the Legend Sword in the Excalibur.

The Crystal Sword is more powerful than the Excalibur, but is much harder to get. You have to fight a guy called "Wyvern" and he does Bahamut's Megaflare, only he does it right as the fight begins, instead of counting down from 5 like Bahamut. So if you don't have enough HP to survive a Megaflare, you aren't cut out to wield the Crystal Sword.

EDIT-

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was one of the easiest boss fights I've ever had to fight in FF. I'm pretty sure I made an absolute mess of Zeromus, deemed his abilities unsatisfactory, and never played the game again because it was such a poor game graphically and, definitely, storywise, despite how cool Rydia is.

Well, I disagree, as did the many, many people who purchased and played the game, many times over. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

And it's funny that you weren't pleased with the story. Most people think that FF4 has the most adaptable story of any FF. Like, if they were to make an FF story into a feature film, most people would say that FF4 would be the best candidate, if it were possible to cram such an expansive story into a couple hours.

Unless you're being sarcastic. Which is possible, given the claim you make.

Evastio
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
cystal sword? never heard such a think..but i have some gengi, excalibue, and other weapons you find in the final dungeon.
The Crystal Sword (or Ragnarok) is in this area with 3 threasure chests. Go walk left and you should find 2 peninsulas that look like they were a bridge. Even though there's no floor you can still walk across it. Continue down that path and you should find the Crystal Sword (or Ragnarok) guarded by Wyvern (or Dark Bahamut).

Martyr
11-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Actually, I've always found FF1 to be the most versatile and producable story for a movie.

Mostly because there's a very intense world, a solid good/evil plotline, and the characters all remain to be created and reinvented instead of acting as the fairly lame stereotypes that we see in FF2, 4, and 5.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-02-2006, 12:42 AM
I was playing it on an emulator the first time, so I just saved the state at the start of the battle. I lost the first time, but I won after a few tries.

Zeromus_X
11-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Being seven years old and not understanding the concept of 'level-grinding' or 'treasure hunting', I hit the ground after one Big Bang.

More or less.

Acid Raine
11-02-2006, 03:53 AM
I can NEVER get myself that far! Its the forces of God or Satan or WHOEVER against me. I play and I kick ass and I am coasting, and then I lose interest. Its a conspiracy.

:shifty: I bet the centipedes have something to do with this.

Sefie1999AD
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
When I first fought Zeromus, I was playing the American FF"2" for SNES. I still lost to Zeromus on my first few tries. I lost to him even more when I played the Japanese Hard Type version.

Martyr
11-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Dude, I really don't remember Zeromus being that hard at all.

I remember dragons or some other random encounter monsters in final dungeons being hard, but i could have sworn that the final boss was almost anticlimactic.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm tempted to play the game again, even though it was one of my least favorite FFs. But you guys talk about it like it was something. And now I don't know.

Evastio
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
But maybe I'm wrong. I'm tempted to play the game again, even though it was one of my least favorite FFs.
How can you say that?! :eek: :confused:

What makes FFIV so much worse than the other FFs? :( :confused:

Cruise Control
11-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I lost like 5 times, went and did extra stuff, came back and flattened him.

Evastio
11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Come to think of it, I lost a few turns after I found out about using the Crystal on Zeromus.

Rase
11-03-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm in the same boat as Jowy and Zeromus_X.

Martyr
11-03-2006, 04:35 AM
But maybe I'm wrong. I'm tempted to play the game again, even though it was one of my least favorite FFs.
How can you say that?! :eek: :confused:

What makes FFIV so much worse than the other FFs? :( :confused:

Your favorite character was Cecil. 'nuff said.

Nerevarine
11-03-2006, 05:29 AM
i have this tendency to complete a game and have all my characters to level 99 so he was pretty much dust in a short time

Bolivar
11-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Same here. It took a few tries to beat him. Basically you had to make the right decision every turn, and hope you can survive the next.

NINJA_Ryu
11-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Eh, what levels did most peopel have? Imn plannin to get at least 5 levels a day for the final party, for about a week, or at least until i can beat the ehads in about 3 turns.

Zeromus_X
11-13-2006, 02:04 AM
40s (good luck), 50s (okay), 60s (this is better), 70s (you will defeat him promptly).

Ashley Schovitz
11-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Everyone dies on their first encounter to any Final Fantasy FInal Boss, except for X-2's Vegnagun and Shuyin.

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 02:42 AM
Everyone dies on their first encounter to any Final Fantasy FInal Boss, except for X-2's Vegnagun and Shuyin.

I beat Sephiroth the first time I fought him. I also beat Altima the first time I fought him/her/Jesus. I'd probably beat Vegnagun and Shuyin first try, but I haven't played X-2, so I don't know.

And I think I beat Kefka first try too. I don't remember, but I probably did because my first time through the game I was very thourough, which meant searching every inch of the map for stuff, which meant gaining a lot of levels and mastering a lot of Ultima + Gem Box + Economizer.

ImAFarmer
11-13-2006, 03:03 AM
lol I took my time to steal dark matter before hurting him...Yeah I still lost due to the fact that I was level 50

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 03:32 AM
With Zeromus, I've never worried about accidently killing too soon. He just seems to have more hp than an Imp Captain.

Darth Cid
11-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Um...yeah, I was very young and thought Meteo solved everything, but that spell takes too long.

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 04:48 AM
I put all my eggs into a rather large dragonish basket called "Bahamut". It doesn't seem to take as long as Meteo, plus Zemus himself says that Meteo is "Silly!" so I wouldn't even use it on him. You're trying to kill him, not entertain him with Silly! Theatrics.

Sefie1999AD
11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
It's mostly a race between Rosa casting Cure4 and Zeromus casting Big Bang, at least on the fastest battle speed. Two Big Bangs on a row pretty much means you're dead. Things get even more thrilling when Rosa only has 2000-2500 HP, which means one Big Bang can sometimes kill her, and if that happens, you're in a major trouble.

Darth Cid
11-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I put all my eggs into a rather large dragonish basket called "Bahamut". It doesn't seem to take as long as Meteo, plus Zemus himself says that Meteo is "Silly!" so I wouldn't even use it on him. You're trying to kill him, not entertain him with Silly! Theatrics.

Yeah, I eventually figured that out.

Crystal_Clear
12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
I was five. Big Bang hurts, man.

Eventually I saved enough GP to buy 50+ elixers on the moon.

Lawr
01-02-2007, 04:05 AM
unsatisfactory, and never played the game again because it was such a poor game graphically and, definitely, storywise, despite how cool Rydia is.

Have you gone mad!? (but I agree with the Rydia part.)

ReloadPsi
01-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Ah, Zeromus. Yeah, definitely the hardest final battle I've ever done, but then the only ones I've ever done in one shot were FF1, FF5 and FFX-2. FF2 doesn't count as it was DoS and the difficulty was way too low. Not that I'll do the NES version; the ending sucks.

ScottNUMBERS
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
My first battle with Zeromus went a little like this:

Zeromus uses Big Bang
Cecil Attacks
Zeromus uses Big Bang

--End--

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, I lost.

NeoCracker
01-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Zeromus uses Big Bang
Cecil Attacks
Zeromus uses Big Bang

--End--

Took four Big Bangs to take me down on the PS version. Took me a while to figure out that he was probably countering with Big Bang, as all of them came before Rosa could heal me.

boys from the dwarf
01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
the second big bang killed me.

i was on about level 45-47 and i could have won. but at first it was quite hard to recover from big bangs and i didn't have a proper strategy.

i tried it again later on a higher level and won easily which is a shame because i think just those 2 or 3 extra levels made it easy.

Reyamoka
01-16-2007, 05:15 AM
I finished the final battle fine, but then again I played the GBA version. Then again, I was at level 53 for all of my characters, so I don't know.

Peter_20
01-16-2007, 10:22 AM
I died terrible deaths the first few times, but eventually I found an excellent strategy:

CECIL: fights, uses Lifes and Elixirs
RYDIA: uses Nuke
EDGE: throws stuff, uses Lifes and Elixirs
ROSA: uses Cure4
KAIN: jumps, uses Lifes and Elixirs

robfinalfantasy
01-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Yes. I died many times. After a couple of tries I just gave up and started playing the other FFs. More than 5 years passed and I finally beat FFVI as January 29, 2007 and I've been playing FF for years!!

PuPu
01-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes, Zeromus was a very hard boss, despite me being younger and a little less familiar with RPGs. I would still probably have trouble.

Where was I? Oh. Right.

This game is a joke, and I think the only times I died were not to the final boss but to the dragons and hardcore enemies of the final dungeon.

Did you play FFIV Advance or on SNES or PS1? I heard IV Advance made it MUCH easier. For example, Rosa uses Curaja in IV Adv. a lot faster than the PS1 or SNES version. Zeromus would use Big Bang and damage you faster than you can heal, making it VERY HARD.

Zeromus uses Big Bang
Cecil Attacks
Zeromus uses Big Bang

--End--

To be honest this was almost exactly how it went when I fought Zeromus. All characters except Cecil were dead, and bringing them back to life would have been useless, since they would be immediately smacked down by Big Bang. It went: Cecil Attacks, Big Bang comes, heal with Elixer, repeat.

Good thing I had over 20 Elixers and was able to win finally. :)

Zeromus
01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Of course i died the first time!... Besides... this one was the first Final Fantasy i played and it was so many years ago that i was a little girl... so it was hard... i wasn't in a good level after all...
I remember that when i first attempted the final battle i lost, and then didn't try it again before being on a higher level... i went to train a lot, spent a lot of time on training, then i came back strongest and kicked Zeromus ass xD...
But that was years ago... now Zeromus is the little girl when i play xD...

Lynx
01-31-2007, 06:53 PM
the first time i fought the last battle. i lost i was very underleveled and every battle leading up to it was incredably hard.

but it was nice playing a final fantasy where the final battle was actually a challange.

Gren
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I got my behind stomped at Zeromus and almost every random battle where I didn't run away in that final f***in dungeon. It wasn't until my nephew got IV for his GBA that I decided to try it again, since I could actually take the time to level up because I could take it with me that I finally beat him. But even then it took me forever cause I would level up, save, fight him, lose, level up some more, fight him, lose, level up some more......you get the idea. I did that maybe......10 or 12 times before I finally beat him.

Kefka_Almighty
03-01-2007, 04:44 AM
I really didn't have much trouble with Zeromus, but this was probably due to the fact that:
1) I basically power-leveled before fighting him (all characters in high 50s, low 60s)
2) I went out of my way to get ever item I could before fighting him and
3) I only got as far as Zeromus in the GBA version; I played the PS 1 version before and lost interest upon getting Edge.

IN all honesty, the only final boss I've actually had trouble with was Sephiroth, and that was because it was the first FF I had ever played and I had no idea of the concept of "status ailments" and thus didn't bother to prepare to protect myself from them when he uses Pale Horse.

Really, I kind of acknowledge my survival against Zeromus to either be my power-leveling, or pure dumb luck.

Cezanzo
03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I usually die the first time on final bosses. Only because I dont know how hard they hit and their attacks and stuff. But the second time I am prepared and kill them.:D I died the first time on Zeromus (because of the reason above) but killed him the second time. I'v killed him about 6 times now just for fun. I thought he was really easy.

Cruise Control
03-08-2007, 11:16 AM
IN all honesty, the only final boss I've actually had trouble with was Sephiroth, and that was because it was the first FF I had ever played and I had no idea of the concept of "status ailments" and thus didn't bother to prepare to protect myself from them when he uses Pale Horse.Its hard to imagine me losing to anything in 7. I couldn't beat carry armor, so I went and got KOTR. xD

darksword12
03-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I PWNED him the first time I fought him.

DarkLadyNyara
03-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I won on my first try. My reaction was along the lines of "that's it?" I don't usually beat the final boss on the first try in any game. Granted, I played the GBA version.

arcanedude34
03-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes. Died. One hit. Level 29-30. Don't want to talk about it. >_<