PDA

View Full Version : A confession to make. (spoilers) (oh, and it's a really long post)

feioncastor
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Note to mods and admins and such: I'm not 100% on the rules about mentioning emulation. I know you can't ask about how to get ROMS and all that, but I figured this thread was okay. If it's not, please delete it and my bad, etc...

So, yesterday, I decided to start playing a translated ROM of Final Fantasy III, for an NES emulator.

It's clumsy as heck, playing a video game on a keyboard. Just doesn't feel... normal, you know?

But anyway, this game is really good. I can't believe that this game has exists for 16 years and I am just now getting around to playing it.

Because I played FF4 for the SNES first, I'd swear this game has the exact same feel. Even the worldmap chipset seems to be the same as the one used in FF4, just with the quality of NES graphics.

This game has an abundance of airships. And I like that. I was disappointed that Cid gave me an airship so early, because ownership of the skies is usually something you have to earn in other FF titles. But I was quite relieve when instead of firing a weapon from my ship to destroy that rock, we simply collided with it, destroying the ship and the rock.

But I have had several airships since then. A boat that turns into an airship... That's classy! Why didn't Square revisit that idea in a later FF? And then there's the one that can go underwater. That one is my favorite because it goes so fast, and honestly, FF3's world map is ridiculously huge. There is a lot of ocean in that game. It took me a while to figure out the whole floating continent thing, because, well, it's a weird concept, but I get it now.

Anyway, I got another Airship now, and this one is huge. This is the one where you can actually walk around on deck, visit the Big Chocobo, catch a few Z's or even pick up a Hi-Potion from the vending machines.

I'm sure that this ship was the inspiration for the Big Whale in FF4.

I just did the part where you fight Titan, and you get 3 new jobs, Summoner, Warlock and Shaman. I think I gotta go see Unne (who seems to be a woman in this game) and Dorga now, but my new pimpin' ship isn't working right. Everytime I try to fly up through the mountains (where you get in fights in the air), something seems to push me away, and I have no clue what I'm supposed to do, so I've just been leveling up a bunch.

They keep blowing up my airships! Even my fast speedy cool underwater one is gone now!

I don't use shields. Much like in FF2, I simply don't make use of shields. It's not worth losing the attack power.

Oh, and Moogles! I don't recall seeing Moogles in FF2, so I'm pretty sure this is the first appearance of the Moogles. I wonder why they weren't in FF4? Were they in FF5? I never played the entire game, just most of it, so I don't know for sure.

In the DS remake, I hope they just automatically unequip your character when you change his job, like FFT or FF5. It's annoying when I go to change and then I get reminded that I have to unequip first. But of course I don't have enough room to unequip, so I have to destroy some stuff I don't need , or sell it if I'm near a vendor.

I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff in this game. I had a ship that could go underwater and I only used it like twice. Are there hidden places underwater? Like, a city that sells level 8 white and black magic, maybe? Or maybe some new weaponry? My Knight has had two "Defenders" for a long time, and I'd like to upgrade.

The game seems short, too. I've got what appears to be all the job classes, and I've already rockstar-trashed 3 airships, and I just started yesterday. I did play virtually all night, but even so.

M. Knights are awesome, too. The ones who use Kotetsus and stuff? The one I have always gets like 11 hits every time he attacks. My Knight is awesome and all, but my M Knight is way cooler. It took me a while to realize that only my M. Knight could hit those stupid monsters in the Cave of Darkness, or else they'd split into more monsters. I died a couple times, getting paralyzed and charmed.

Monks/Karatekas are also freaking sweet. I noticed that his attack power is higher when I don't equip any weapons on him. Seems to be true in battle, too.

I also feel like there are a lot of job classes I'm not using to the full potential. But why would I want to train a Geomancer or a Bard when my Viking does way more damage and can wear heavy armor, so he doesn't die all the time?

Another thing that reminds me of FF4 are the "conditional dungeons". There are places you can't access unless you're small/toad and so forth, much like in FF4 when you can't walk through Cave Magnes with metallic equipment.

And yet another FF4ish thing is the secret walls. But they're everywhere in this game. They're all over the place. In the North American version of FF4, the secret passageways in the walls were outlined so you had no trouble finding them. And I think in FF5 they were outlined if you had a Thief in your party. But in this one, they're mighty reclusive and I'd bet that I missed out on some cool stuff by not looking for them. The same goes for secret doors. You know, walls that bust open when you push a nearby switch? They were usually pretty evident in FF4, but I found a few just pushing on random candles. Took me a long time to learn that you have to push an invisible button on the other side to open the door back up.

So I'm pleased with this game. FF3 is a fantastic game. In terms of gameplay, it rivals the best video games ever made.

And I wanted to ask, is there anyway to "unlearn" a spell once you give it to a person's spell list? I know you can swap spell lists, like if you decide that you want a different guy to be your white mage, but don't want to buy spells again, you can just swap their spell sets. But is there anyway to remove a spell from a spell set if you don't want it there? I accidently put an ugly Fire2 in the middle of my white magic.

Wow, I just noticed that I wrote an awful lot. Well, I guess that's what happens when you play an awesome video game, all night long.

Honestly, I could go on much longer than this, but I won't. For now.

Paul
11-01-2006, 11:57 PM
yeah i played the FF3 NES rom earlier this year. really enjoyed it a lot. i think FF2 had a more interesting plot, but FF3 certainly improved the 'Final Fantasy' gameplay immensely and is basically the reason FF4 is as good as it is.

if you want to remove a spell, i believe there is an "item" option in the "magic" menu. use, swap and item? yeah if you choose item it turns the spell back into the item that you originally purchased it as. so you can then use it again on another character, or sell it or drop it.

Evastio
11-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Sounds like you're having as much fun as I did when I first played FF3. :D

As for the Level 8 magic and Defenders, have you went to the Forbidden Land Eureka yet? That should solve most of your problems.

feioncastor
11-02-2006, 12:18 AM
No, I haven't! Where is that? I thought I was supposed to go see Unne and Dorga after I got the last crystal or something, but it won't let me fly to Dorga's house!! When I fly my ship (the big one that can hop mountain) into the valley that leads to Dorga's place, something pushes me backwards and doesn't let me in!

Urgh!!!!!

Oh, and Forbidden Land Eureka, huh? That's sweet. That's an unexplored land from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Paul
11-02-2006, 12:23 AM
i think you are a bit soon to be getting the level 8 magic and the final jobs. but i can't remember exactly what you are supposed to do at this point :( have you demolished the 4 guardian statues?

feioncastor
11-02-2006, 12:33 AM
i think you are a bit soon to be getting the level 8 magic and the final jobs. but i can't remember exactly what you are supposed to do at this point :( have you demolished the 4 guardian statues?

Yeah, I got all the little horn things and broke the statues, flew up there and fought the Titan guy. Then I got Summoner, Shaman and Warlock job classes, and then my character said we needed to go see Dorga and Unne at Dorga's place. And I know how I got there before. You just fly the airship over through the little trench, and you have to fight while you're flying right there, and then you eventually get to her house. I had to go there once and we went through some Magic Circle Cave, but we had to be Mini'd to fit in. But that was a while back. Now I have to go back there, according to the dialogue, and my ship isn't letting me.

Did I totally screw something up? Was I supposed to go see her before I lost my fast, submarine/airship? Because that's the one I took to see her the first time and I was thinking that maybe my current ship (the huge one) is supposed to be too big to fit in there or something.

But I'm pretty sure that I lost all of my airships but this one. The one you lose at the beginning, and the water/airship one was blown up when I flew over Salona or whatever that huge city is called. But then I got that super fast one that could go underwater, and I don't remember it being blown up... but I don't know where it is!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-02-2006, 12:59 AM
A boat that turns into an airship... That's classy! Why didn't Square revisit that idea in a later FF?They did. In FFV.
Anyway, I got another Airship now, and this one is huge. This is the one where you can actually walk around on deck, visit the Big Chocobo, catch a few Z's or even pick up a Hi-Potion from the vending machines.It's called the Invincible. You must respect it.
Everytime I try to fly up through the mountains (where you get in fights in the air), something seems to push me away, and I have no clue what I'm supposed to do, so I've just been leveling up a bunch.Only the Nautilus can go fast enough to fly through the winds in the mountain pass. As awesome as the Invincible is, its speed just won't cut it.
Oh, and Moogles! I don't recall seeing Moogles in FF2, so I'm pretty sure this is the first appearance of the Moogles.The Moguri bear at least a cursory resemblance to the beavers that appeared in FFII, but FFIII is their first real appearance, yes.
I wonder why they weren't in FF4? Were they in FF5? I never played the entire game, just most of it, so I don't know for sure.Yes, they play a pretty significant role in FFV.
I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff in this game. I had a ship that could go underwater and I only used it like twice. Are there hidden places underwater?There's a town populated entirely by disciples of Doga who peddle magic of all varieties. There are also two dungeons--an underwater cave full of treasure and some catacombs beneath Salonia that ultimately lead to Odin.
And yet another FF4ish thing is the secret walls. But they're everywhere in this game. They're all over the place. In the North American version of FF4, the secret passageways in the walls were outlined so you had no trouble finding them. And I think in FF5 they were outlined if you had a Thief in your party. But in this one, they're mighty reclusive and I'd bet that I missed out on some cool stuff by not looking for them.There's a subtle but visible difference between the tiles that are solid and the ones that make up secret passages.

feioncastor
11-02-2006, 01:05 AM
The Nautilus is the fast ship/submarine, right?

Well, where the heck is it? All I have is the Invincible. And I was so tired from having played all night and now I can't recall where I got the Invincible, so I don't know where I would've left the Nautilus. I thought I got it near Saloma, but I've checked in that area, and I don't see it...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-02-2006, 01:15 AM
You got the Invincible from the Ancient Ruins west of Salonia.

feioncastor
11-02-2006, 01:23 AM
So I did! And the Nautilus is just sitting right outside that cave, and now I have it and I dont' have to go all slow on this ridiculously huge world map anymore!

Zeromus_X
11-02-2006, 04:54 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying FFIII. This should help you enjoy FFIIIDS even more. :cat:

There's just a sense of exaltation in playing a game that you can automatically tell is great. The game only gets better and better as it goes on.

Salonia's also one of the numerous reference 'unexplored lands' in FFT, if I recall. :cat:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-02-2006, 05:02 AM
No, but Tozas, Falgabard, Eureka, and the Crystal Tower are.

Zeromus_X
11-02-2006, 05:03 AM
Oh. Maybe I was thinking of one of those then. :cat:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Salonia is mentioned in the descriptions of the Red, Blue, White, and Black Materia, though.

Zeromus_X
11-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Yes! I believe that was it. "Used to store the knowledge of the citizens of Salonia..." or something. Thanks a bunch Kishi! :) :cat:

feioncastor
11-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Salonia is mentioned in the descriptions of the Red, Blue, White, and Black Materia, though.

You really had to earn that admin title, didn't you?

Lexy
11-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Jeez, I've been playing the DS version since September 11th and am at almost the exact place you are (or were- u have probably beaten the game twice by now). It's wonderful to read your reactions. Also make sure to go back to the floating continent with the Invincible and do the extra stuff there (sounds like you're not using a walkthrough!). That's what I'm doing right now and it is funx10.

Crossblades
11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I beat the Famicon version back in December of 05. Yes, it is a very enjoyable game and I will probably enjoy the DS version even more.

Ender
11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
It might not have a strong story or compelling villain, but the gameplay experience--the jobs, airships, "dungeon" layouts, battle difficulty/variety--are about as perfect as can be for the technology of the time (for the NES version of course) IMO.

There's just a sense of exaltation in playing a game that you can automatically tell is great.

This is so true, and FFIII is exactly that type of game for me.

Evastio
11-02-2006, 10:22 PM

That my friend is why Kawaii Ryűkishi is the most respected EoFF Administrator. He actually knows things about FF Games. :ghost:

undnce
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM

That my friend is why Kawaii Ryűkishi is the most respected EoFF Administrator. He actually knows things about FF Games. :ghost:

holy crap

feioncastor
11-03-2006, 05:06 AM

holy crap

Quotes that get smaller are the best.

undnce
11-04-2006, 12:52 AM

holy crap

Quotes that get smaller are the best.

Indeed, although I think we need 2 stop now...lol

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah guys, Leeza doesn't like quote pyramids.