11-01-2006, 11:45 PM
WTF?

FF7: 9.5
FF8: 9.5
FF9: 8.5
FF10: 9.3
(and just to throw in) Chrono Cross: 10.0
FF12: only 9.0

I know they all the games had different reviewers and all, but they're still saying that FF7, FF8, FF10, and Chrono Cross are ALL better than FF12. And then the things that they say are FF12's "flaws" don't make much sense. Am I right or am I right?

feioncastor
11-01-2006, 11:57 PM
If I were a video game reviewer, I wouldn't just hand out "10"s to my favorite games. They assess the game as a game, not how much they personally like the game.

Even so, for a game to a 10 with most serious critics, the game has be better than awesome. Like, awesome is 9.5. If the game goes above and beyond, in a number of ways, then it may be "10"-worthy.

Having said that, I don't see how Chrono Cross could be given a 10. I'm not comparing it to Final Fantasy VII or anything, because I personally think that Final Fantasy VII was a masterpiece, and a game undisputably deserving of a 10. I'm just saying that Chrono Cross was only okay, even for a CT veteran like myself.

While I would've given FFVII a slightly higher rating, I do agree with the rating you've listed for the following games, excepting FF8, which I would've gone a bit lower.

Anyway, 9.0 isn't a bad rating. Believe me, there are developers out there wishing that one of their games would get a 9.0. Because I haven't played a whole lot of 12 yet, I can't say what I'd give it, but so far, it's about 9.0, maybe even an 8.5. Which still isn't bad. 3.0 is bad. 8.5 is pretty dang good.

punkforpez
11-04-2006, 03:02 AM
i wouldn't give FFXII a 10 but i sure as hell would rate it higher than Chrono Cross

Wilder
11-04-2006, 04:50 AM
I would be happy with the 9.0 , but the tony hawk games have like 9.8, what a bad joke. But, face it, the game is still not perfect, we all had a lot of expectative, we wanted the perfect game, is probably a masterpiece but square is still very very close to create the perfect game yet. probably ocarina of time was the game that almost hit that spot.

Sefie1999AD
11-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Considering how high the rating standards are in GameSpot nowadays, I think the grade 9.0, which FFXII got, is a very high score. The Chrono Cross review was quite biased, IMHO. I can't understand how it got a perfect score, either. For the past few years, I've only seen games reach a grade of 8.x at best in GameSpot, so a score of 9.0 for FFXII sounds very impressive.

Ashley Schovitz
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
If I were a video game reviewer, I wouldn't just hand out "10"s to my favorite games.

I sure would, why not?

VengefulRonin
11-06-2006, 06:33 AM
WTF, how does chrono cross score higher than the others? o_O And i would have switched 8 and 9's ratings...and why does 10 not get a 9.5, and why the hell get a 9.0? o_O weirdos...

Elfen
11-06-2006, 06:40 AM
I was suprised too at first but I never really rely on reviews for Final Fantasy games.
Since I love every Final Fantasy games.
But I think FFXII should be better than FFX.
Maybe GameSpot just wanna be special.

VengefulRonin
11-06-2006, 07:00 AM
lol, yeah i dont even bother with reviews on FF cuz everyone knows its impossible for them to be lame. But still, i agree with Elfen, XII should be better than X. The story i think is going to prove much better, and i love the gambit system, its much more efficient and lets me concentrate better.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 07:16 AM
I just disregard reviews for games that are going to be critically acclaimed.

Also, they're on some serious stuff if they gave Chrono Cross a 10.

VengefulRonin
11-06-2006, 07:23 AM
I always thought Chrono Cross was kinda...crap. I've never read much on it, but from what i've heard, it was nowhere near as good as Trigger was.

Elfen
11-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, I love Chrono Cross. The music I mean. LOL.
Haha... Actually its kinda fun playing Chrono Cross but not having a solid storyline really annoy me.
But to get 10/10, kinda suprised me though.

VengefulRonin
11-06-2006, 07:51 AM
lol, well i'm sure the music is great in that game...but i think one thing that put me off about it (aside from what i'd heard about it) was the artwork...it looked kinda...gay

haha, funny, we've gone to talking about CC now instead of gamestop's stupidity. i really dont see how XII scored the lowest...and now i hate gamestop's guts for rating IX the lowest of all those games...IX is so underrated, everyone treats it like the retarded offspring of Square

Wilder
11-07-2006, 04:47 AM
and no 10 for FFVII, I felt hurt when they gave Snake eater a 8+, They are good with the news and the videos, but the ranking system, 97.6373645, seems like a joke. I would switch to famitsu If I could :cool:

VengefulRonin
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Meh *shrug* I like IGN's reviews better, they seem to look at pretty much aspect of a game and not to biased

Fate Fatale
11-11-2006, 05:59 AM
IX deserves a higher ranking, and VIII and X need to be lowered.. IX and X need to be switched comepletely though. So, swith those and lower VIII to about an 8.8..

BustaMo
11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
It has to be a biases rating though. They just can't go on which game they liked better, they ahve to look at each of the main categories and aspects that should make a great RPG. I loved every Final Fantasy game I've played weather it sucked or not, but I can't give them all 9.9's or 10's just because it fit my style.

This game though, does show a lot of advancment from past FF's though; props there.

WarZidane
11-11-2006, 05:59 PM
The score a game gets from a review shouldn't matter anyway. A game with a 10 doesn't mean it's a game you'll like, just as a game with a 1 doesn't mean you'll dislike it (Although with a score that low it would have to be a pretty damn bad game :p)

RedRum
11-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Gamespot always ranks games pretty harshly. They dnt give out easy 9.5's and other things like that. IGN on the other hand i think thier rating system is legit.