PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Proposal - Help...Please!

Rainecloud
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi.

I'm going on holiday next Thursday with my Girlfriend, the two kids and the future in-laws. I'm planning on proposing to Charla on the first night of the holiday during/after our meal out.

I need some suggestions as of what to do, or how to go about it in the best possible way. Heck, she might not even say 'yes'. I'm not really a romantic type of guy, so I have no idea what I'm doing, really. :p

Also, take a look at the attachment. It's the ring I've bought. I think it's quite pretty. Your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Martyr
11-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Does she know you post here?

I can't imagine that confiding in us is your best option.

All I can tell you is to try what has always worked in the past.

1. Get her alone, in some place romantic.
2. Get on your knees.

The ring is beautiful, by the way. If I didn't care about your situation, I might be tempted to steal it.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
thats a gr8 ring, very perdy, eek, im not exactly very old so i wouldnt know, if you feel like she will say yes, do it, if not, then,umm, i aint vry gd at this, im not a gr8 person to help, but the rings nice (im sorry, i was useless)

Rainecloud
11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Does she know you post here?

I can't imagine that confiding in us is your best option.

All I can tell you is to try what has always worked in the past.

1. Get her alone, in some place romantic.
2. Get on your knees.

The ring is beautiful, by the way. If I didn't care about your situation, I might be tempted to steal it.

Heh! She doesn't even have the Internet. And I'm not particularly confiding in you, I just want your experiences and possible advice. I always appreciate just talking about things that make me feel nervous - it makes me feel better.

I Took the Red Pill
11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Do what feels natural man, it'll work out great :up:

The ring is gorgeous by the way.

Xander
11-02-2006, 09:02 PM
The ring is okay, I'm not really a ring person though.. :p So I don't think it's that important. She'll like it because it's from you though :)

Just ask when it feels right, I guess...don't get settled down too young though. (Though I still think 20s is young, most people probably would disagree...). And you didnt ask for advice about whether you should get married so uhh, just go for it, and good luck :D

Twisted Tinkerbell
11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
The ring is very pretty, and what was suggested by thieforever was what my mum's b/f did, and she said yes, so I guess it must work.

Chloe.
11-02-2006, 09:06 PM
That ring is gorgeous! :bigsmile: I'm sure she'll love it, and hopefully she'll say yes:bounce: Just take her somewhere romantic and tell her how much you love her and stuff :D But you know, I'm only 13 so I wouldn't really know. ^___^

Jowy
11-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Take advantage of the situation. Order a glass of wine or champagne and drop it in the bottom of the glass during dinner when she isn't paying attention. Hopefully she gets the hint.

TheSpoonyBard
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I proposed to my girlfriend (now fiancée) on her birthday almost two years ago. I did it after the evening meal. I arranged for my friends to set up some candles in a big circle in a secluded area of the park, so by the time we got there they were all lit and sparkly. Then I took her into the centre of the circle, got down on one knee, told her how much I loved her and asked her to marry me. She said yes and we're still happily together.

Well, there's my little story. I hope it all goes well for you. Just do what comes naturally.

Yamaneko
11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Take advantage of the situation. Order a glass of wine or champagne and drop it in the bottom of the glass during dinner when she isn't paying attention. Hopefully she gets the hint.
And the gut-wrenching stomach pains.

sephirothishere
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM

....yeh...make sure she doesnt choke to death man....hahaahah....yeh..that ring is nice....ive seen worse....i wont ask how much it cost....but seriously....marriage isnt my thing....i get bored easily....im not very monogomous......

Jess
11-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Whatever you do, don't put the ring in a drink, or food. It won't be too great when she chips her tooth/swallows it.

You didn't state where you were going on holiday, but if it's warm - why not take her to watch the sunset and do it then, or whilst looking at the stars. They're my only suggestions and they may not be brilliant, but I hope everything goes well for you! Good luck. :jess:

That ring is very pretty, by the way. I'm sure she'll love it. :)

sephirothishere
11-02-2006, 10:10 PM
You didn't state where you were going on holiday, but if it's warm - why not take her to watch the sunset and do it then, or whilst looking at the stars.

...huh...why are chicks always with the clichés????its pissin me off...cuz then when you start thinkin...hey chicks dig cliché ish stuff....and then theyre all like...omg...be more orginal....so then...you gotsa get a ride home...and that sucks.....

Chemical
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I would say don't put the ring in food, I hear people die that way.

As for the ring, Ch-CHING!
How could she say no?

You could have the waiter bring a cake that says "will you marry me" on it. Or have a bouquet delivered to her while you're dining with a card that says the same...

Or you could get a box of chocolates and take one out and put the ring it (making it clearly visible) and then on the inside of the box on the top it asks "will you marry me."

Jowy
11-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Well, if she swallows the ring it's kind of like saying 'yes' ;D

Chemical
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Don't do this

http://www.jokeroo.com/funnyvideos/proposalgonewrong.html

sephirothishere
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, if she swallows the ring it's kind of like saying 'yes' ;D

yeh...well...at least she wont give it back to you.....

Levian
11-02-2006, 10:33 PM
You should act like you hate her for a week. Trip her, pull her hair, kick her in the shin or throw dirt in her eyes. She'll never see it coming.

Oh, Raine. This is great news. I wish you the best.

Iceglow
11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
The ring man is fantastic I bet it cost you a pretty penny too. As for proposing, when I proposed to Tinkers I was a wreck, my nerves were shot to hell and all, Just focus on getting the words out and not screwing it up as for relaxing, if she says yes then you won't be doing that for a while.

Rye
11-02-2006, 10:45 PM
That's a lovely ring. :)

I'm a girl myself, obviously, and I know that I wouldn't like it in my drink or food. I'd rather it just presented to me, whether it be a surprise or not. Just do what feels right for you. Good luck! This is wonderful. :)

sephirothishere
11-02-2006, 10:50 PM
nobodies gonn aanswer my question bout th ecliché???

rubah
11-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Because guys are terrible at making stuff up.

BardTard
11-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Don't do this

http://www.jokeroo.com/funnyvideos/proposalgonewrong.html

OUCH! That's gotta suck.

Pretty ring though! :) I bet she'll love it.

You should act like you hate her for a week. Trip her, pull her hair, kick her in the shin or throw dirt in her eyes. She'll never see it coming.

That's just mean! She might say no then... If I had a boyfriend who was really mean to me for a week and then proposed to me I would probably say no.

Well, good luck, and I hope she says yes!

Shlup
11-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Uhh... Just be sure to go down on one knee. It adds impact.

Be sure to say something super sweet, rather than just handing over the ring.

Don't take too long saying sweet things or acting nervous, lest she begin to suspect.

Be cautious of the situation you're putting her in. If you want to do it in front of people but she's shy, she might be embarassed. Some people like to get engaged in front of everyone, some like to do it in private. If my husband had proposed to me in front of anyone I would've been mortified!

As a girl, I'd rather my man pulled the ring from his pocket while on one knee then hide it in food or anything.

And don't be sad if she wants a different ring. Is it white gold or yellow gold? I can't tell from the picture. It's really pretty though. But, if my husband had picked it, I don't know if I would've kept it. Most girls have an idea of what style ring they'd get well before they get engaged.

Yamaneko
11-03-2006, 12:25 AM
After all that who still wants to get married? :p

Rocket Edge
11-03-2006, 12:27 AM
I guess just take the advice from above, i've nothing much to add. I'm sure if you handle your nerves you'll recognise when the right moment will be to pop the question. I'm sure everything will turn out great for you, just have confidence & you'll be fine. Best of luck. :up:

fire_of_avalon
11-03-2006, 12:28 AM
A surprise engagement is a gift in itself. Make sure you ask her in a way and in a place in which she would be comfortable. If she's an outgoing person and would want the world to know, do it in a public place. If she's private, ask her in a private way. You know her best, so this is down to what YOU think is best. :)

And you have excellent taste in jewelry.

~*~Celes~*~
11-03-2006, 12:28 AM
To answer the question about cliches...some girls just prefer being proposed to in the cliche way. Me? I don't care how I'm proposed to, all that will matter to me is being able to say "I'm engaged and I'm going to marry him!" because that's the part that matters...not the ring, nor the manner in which the ring is presented...it's all about what happens after the proposal in my opinion <3

Love the ring ^^ I'd say just get her in a secluded area, gently brush her hair away from her cheek and tell her how much she means to you, etc...then get on one knee, hold her left hand, and ask for her to marry you. Get that answer before pullin' out the ring, 'cause it'll mean more to you to get her answer first :)

Shlup
11-03-2006, 01:07 AM
A surprise engagement is a gift in itself. Make sure you ask her in a way and in a place in which she would be comfortable. If she's an outgoing person and would want the world to know, do it in a public place. If she's private, ask her in a private way. You know her best, so this is down to what YOU think is best. :)

And you have excellent taste in jewelry.

Ditto all that. Really, you don't have to do anything super spectacular. Unless she's a bitch 'cause bitches always want something super spectacular. But from what you've said of her I'm under the impression she is not a bitch.

Just sincerily telling her how you feel, putting some thought into it, and letting her know you want to spend the rest of your life with her is super good on you.

Leeza
11-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Aw, congratulations. :)

Just be yourself. Tell her how much you love her, etc. from your heart and just ask away. :)

I love the ring myself, but everyone has their own taste. So as Mandee has said...don't be upset if she does want to exchange it. It is something that she will be looking at for the rest of her life so she might as well really like what she's looking at. :)

Roto13
11-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Tie her up and beat her until she says yes.

Rainecloud
11-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies. She isn't a particularly outgoing person, and I know she would hate me if I proposed to her in front of other people. Oh, and don't worry, I wouldn't dare put it in food or drink - that's just dumb. :p

Well, I'm fairly sure everything will go quite well. I'm flying out of the country next Thursday (9th), and I'm back the Thursday after (18th), so I'll post her response when I get back. :D

And that video was just mean. I feel sorry for the guy, going through all that trouble only to get rejected.

Miriel
11-03-2006, 09:18 AM

No no no no no. ;_;

Are there still guys out there who think this is a good idea? Cause it's not. Really not.

Anyway, foa and shlup have already said what I wanted to say. So goodluck, man. I'm sure everything will go great. :)

Christmas
11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Just tell her it was meant to be. :bigsmile:

The Devil Man
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
You didn't state where you were going on holiday, but if it's warm - why not take her to watch the sunset and do it then, or whilst looking at the stars.

...huh...why are chicks always with the clichés????its pissin me off...cuz then when you start thinkin...hey chicks dig cliché ish stuff....and then theyre all like...omg...be more orginal....so then...you gotsa get a ride home...and that sucks.....

Yeah, man, you got the right idea there!

Girls always have boring ideas about proposals and their wedding days. 'Oooh, I want to go on a holiday somewhere, go out to a delicious restaurant, have a walk on the beach with the moon shining brightly and the stars twinkling, blah, blah, blaaaaaaah!!!'

You should do what Devil Man is gonna do.

Take her out to McDonalds, buy her a cheese burger and whip out your ring.

Trust me, she'll like it :)

Simplicity always works best!

Loony BoB
11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Take her to a jewellery shop, get the cheapest ring, propose.
If she says no, find the second cheapest ring, propose.
Have a set limit at which point you can say "Bah, not worth it anyway."

IF SHE LOVES YOU SHE'LL TAKE THE CHEAP RING

I know, I know, it's too late for this...

Cruise Control
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM

I know, I know, it's too late for this...xD Thats why you post on EoFF.

ℓσ¢кнαятαиgєℓ
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
i love the ring. just go with the flow and hope that it goes great.
if i was her i would say yes. i dream of my wed when i was lil. your be fine and dont worry about it

Rainecloud
11-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Darn. I knew someone would eventually post a wonderful, sensible idea. :p

The Devil Man
11-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Darn. I knew someone would eventually post a wonderful, sensible idea. :p

Thank you Rainecloud :bigsmile: Devil Man just knows you are not being sarcastic and are being dead serious!

Just like...

Devil Man is being dead serious too! :eek:

Trust me, chicks dig originality! And you should surprise her by doing something totally unexpected like.

For example, if Devil Man was in your situation, how would he propose?

Well, after his girlfriend has finished making him his food and is in the kitchen doing the washing up...

BAM! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT'S when Devil Man would make her the happiest woman in the world, as she is cleaning the dishes :)

See! Originality goes a long way!

Miriel
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM

If the girl really liked the guy, she wouldn't care about the ring. If the guy really liked the girl, he wouldn't give up on her just because he was too cheap to buy a ring the girl liked. Works both ways BoB!

But yeah, something about going to a store and having a guy point at the cheapest one and going, "THAT'S the one you're getting" is really really really not appealing. :p I mean, dang man. That's just soo... I'd probably either crack up laughing or start crying. Or both. xD

If you can't afford to buy a ring, as your mother/grandmother if you can have their engagement ring. At least that way you can pass it off as being romantic and sentimental rather than just plain cheap.

Jowy
11-03-2006, 02:37 PM
No no no no no. ;_;

Are there still guys out there who think this is a good idea? Cause it's not. Really not.

Us men like doing horribly stupid yet lovingly affectionate things. We mean well. ;)

Rainecloud
11-03-2006, 03:04 PM
But yeah, something about going to a store and having a guy point at the cheapest one and going, "THAT'S the one you're getting" is really really really not appealing. :p I mean, dang man. That's just soo... I'd probably either crack up laughing or start crying. Or both. xD

Yeah, that sounds awful, and I'd certainly never do that. Besides, the ring has already been ordered from an online shop that made it specially for me. I didn't want anything too fancy, and from her hints, she didn't either.

I'll certainly pop the question while we're downing our Big Tasty burgers at McDonald's next Friday. Seriously.

Cz
11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, Raine, but I'd like to wish you the best of luck, however you decide to propose. Not that you'll be needing luck, of course, but you know what I mean. :)

m4tt
11-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I proposed to my fiance while watching the TV show "Cheaters" in her house. Am I great at timing or what?

I suggest you try something like that.

sephirothishere
11-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Is it white gold

looks liek white gold to me...thats what i thought when i saw it...i said...its either fake..or white gold..hahahh....no ofence...and devil man...you and sephirothishere are such geniuses....

fire_of_avalon
11-03-2006, 11:25 PM
You people are blind. It's clearly gold.

Sephirothishere, it clearly isn't fake anything. It's just a cooler gold.

sephirothishere
11-03-2006, 11:35 PM

maybe its jus bad light...

Rainecloud
11-04-2006, 08:40 AM
You people are blind. It's clearly gold.

That's right. It's not fake, and it is gold. :p

~SapphireStar~
11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Cant believe I havent said congrats yet! I know its late, but congrats man.
She is one lucky lady ^^

Shlup
11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
And that video was just mean. I feel sorry for the guy, going through all that trouble only to get rejected.

If it makes you feel any better, it wasn't real.

Loony BoB
11-06-2006, 04:59 AM

If the girl really liked the guy, she wouldn't care about the ring. If the guy really liked the girl, he wouldn't give up on her just because he was too cheap to buy a ring the girl liked. Works both ways BoB!

If you can't afford to buy a ring, as your mother/grandmother if you can have their engagement ring. At least that way you can pass it off as being romantic and sentimental rather than just plain cheap.
Dude, I know some people take me seriously when I'm joking, but I thought at least this time it was somewhat obvious. :(

-N-
11-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Dude, just go out and do whatever you love to do together and at the best part, do what you need to do. Once you get the night rolling you'll know the perfect point to do it. Unless you're not in love, in which case you should probably come up with an exit strategy.