PDA

View Full Version : I heard they suck live!

themagicroundabout
11-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Okay. Wop. Humsup. Himgibberit. Glargen. Maoam.

I will be, in a few weeks time, playing a little acoustic set at a Charity Music Night Thing (CMNT) at the GLEED GIRLS TECHNICAL COLLEGE. I'll only be playing a few songs, probably covers, but maybe a few originals. I must admit, I am feeling all nervous and excited and over stimulated and stuff. It'll be the first time I've played in front of a group of people and I'm playing first too and it's all kinda scary and stuff and the rest of the acts are all big and experienced and electrifying AND POSSIBLY BEARDED.

Anyway.

Topic: Do you go to gigs and music festivities often? Have you ever played any? How did you find it? And do you have any suggestions for songs I should play?

Secondary topic: What do you think of threads with more than one topic?

Twisted Tinkerbell
11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I haven't been to a gig in a while, I used to go to them all the time in high school though. Last gig I went to was in the summer, I have never played any, I'd love to, as I love singing. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for songs for you though!

Old Manus
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Is the Loneliness of an Eighteenth Century Blacksmith on the agenda?

Jess
11-02-2006, 11:21 PM
I like gigs and stuff, but I don't go to them too often as I don't have a job right now so I can't afford many! I haven't ever played at a gig as I'm pretty musically retarded, however a few of my friends are in bands and my boyfriend is in a band, too.

I don't know what you could play, Curtis, but I hope it all goes well! :)

I also like threads with more than one topic because they tend to be more interesting to read and reply to rather than one sentance replies. :jess:

Iceglow
11-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Hey, I used to do gigs every week! When I used to go clubbing to the camden palais on a tuesday night (back before it became KoKos) they Always had gigs on. I've seen some good bands there too such as, Finch, Violent Delight, Spunge, Inme, Electric Eel Shock and The Sufrajets to name a few. It was really cool too as the stage let off directly to the dance floor without any barriers so we could literally reach up and shake the bands hands or as one girl did to the violent delight front man, shake him warmly by the balls.

I used to do a good few gigs elsewhere too. But like Tinker's the last one I did was Bon Jovi at the Milton Keynes Bowl this summer just gone. I first went to see Disturbed at the Brixton Academy in December 2001. I won the tickets in a prize draw and although technically they were tickets they were actually better than that, they were VIP guest list places for me and a friend to go back stage before the show. I met the band and also their support acts who were; Blind Side and back then they were unknown, The Darkness.

And The Darkness sucked back then to the point that we actually booed them off stage. I saw them again a few years later and people who had been at that gig with me were all of a sudden cheering and singing along, I then decided to quote Baloki. WE HATE YOU! at the top of my lungs.

As for bands to try out. Why not give Trapt a listen theyre a good band and if you like MCR then you'll love them.

sephirothishere
11-03-2006, 12:03 AM
i used to play a good few gigs...i used ot do deppin...for anyone that doesnt know what tha is...its when some already established band asks you at very short notice...to come and play a gig with them....itskinda like....uh...renting...hahhaha....so...i got bored of sellin myself...and it was alotta work...cuz i had ot know such a huge range of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty songs....

Rye
11-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Rarely. More often than not, I'm doing my own with the Honors Choir. xD They're not as enjoyable when you're singing in them and prepping, but they are exciting.

oddler
11-03-2006, 02:13 AM
I've played plenty. Yet again with the linking. (http://www.myspace.com/rockaugust) I like going to them, too, but I rarely make it to any lately.

Threads with two topics are sort of like people with split personalities.

NorthernChaosGod
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Do you go to gigs and music festivities often?
I go to concerts and shows all the time.

Have you ever played any?
I've been in a number of bands, so yes.

How did you find it?
It's exhilirating. (sp?)

And do you have any suggestions for songs I should play?
Johnny Cash - Hurt (I know it's a cover, but the cover is better than the original)
Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters

Probably not the greatest selection, but I'm not too keen on acoustic.

Mitch
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I go to gigs alot when I'm living in Wellington. I've been to some crackers and some crappers. I've also played a few and I freakin' love playing live. Always a good time.

Highlights of this year include The Dresden Dolls, The Datsuns, Connan and The Mockasins and The Mint Chicks.

I prefer smaller venues like bars and stuff because the atmosphere is always great. Stadium gigs don't really do it for me. I love seeing my 'gig-friends' around. People I meet at gigs and see mostly at gigs. It's a great way to meet people.

Pete for President
11-03-2006, 01:54 PM
I go to gigs quite often. Always underground bands, which is way cooler than those commercial bands on huge stages with security guys in front of em. Like Iceglow said, in the smaller underground venues you're so close to the band which gives a somewhat special feel to it.

As for myself, I do the vocals and guitar in my band, with which I've played quite some shows already. At least 50 here in Holland and 7 on mini-tours through the UK. There's nothing more thrilling than seeing a crowd go radio-loose on your music.

Some advice;
Even though you're nervous, don't show it! At least try to look like you've done this before. Even when things go wrong, just laugh about it and go on. Look the audience in the eyes and DON'T stare at your guitar! That's VERY important.

PS: Mitch, I missed out on the Datsuns here. D'oh.

PS2: I heard they suck live - NOFX?

Jowy
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
They hardly have any decent concerts around where I live. Aside from a few mediocre local bands, I've seen Godsmack, Tool, Mindless Self Indulgence, and The Mars Volta. I'm going to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra next week too. <3

Cz
11-03-2006, 03:33 PM
This one time I saw Adam Green and I didn't know what songs he was playing because I'm not an Adam Green fan so I didn't really care about the gig even slightly because I was waiting for The Strokes to come on. :p

Yes, I go to gigs a lot.

Breine
11-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't go to gig as much as I could, but I love concerts and festivals! They're the best - and the reason why the summer vacation is a blast! :)

sephirothishere
11-03-2006, 11:20 PM
They hardly have any decent concerts around where I live. Aside from a few mediocre local bands

ya know greg howe is from pensyllvania....hes only liek..the best fusion player ever...