PDA

View Full Version : *bashes router against wall*

Roto13
11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Someone tell me why my laptop can't connect to the internet? It was working earlier, then I left it for two hours and came back and it wasn't connected to the internet any more. It was still connected to the network, and this desktop computer is connected to the internet (obviously) but my laptop isn't. What could possibly have happened? Nobody touched either of these computers in those two hours.

EDIT: Nevermind. I solved my problem with violence and yelling.

o_O
11-03-2006, 04:05 AM
Well done on the fixing it vocally, but what probably happened is that DHCP failed on your laptop.

Basically, your router and your laptop have a local IP address each (gateway and IP, respectively). When you connect your laptop up to your router, it will assign an IP address to your laptop and give it the gateway address. This is how your laptop knows where to communicate in order to use the internet (or any location outside of your laptop).

So how to fix it? First yell and scream. If that doesn't fix it, then unplug and replug your router from your computer (or disconnect/reconnect if wireless). If that doesn't work, reboot your computer. If that still doesn't work, then you may need to force addresses (Start > run > ncpa.cpl > Local Area Connection properties). :p

Roto13
11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I love how you just wander through the Help forum, answering questions for people like me. <3