PDA

View Full Version : Chains?

Zeromus_X
11-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Can somebody explain these 'chains' to me? Because I keep getting like four or so chains and then the chain breaks and I have no clue what determines all of this. Is it the monsters I've killed? The loot they've been dropping? :cat: :confused:

Khaotic
11-03-2006, 02:47 AM
I believe it has to be the same mob each time, if its different, it'll break, once you get 10+ you start getting more items or little healing bonus drops.

Zeromus_X
11-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Ah! I believe that was indeed it. Much obliged! :cat: :)

Nominus Experse
11-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, as Khaotic said, Chains are when you slay the same type of foe repeatedly.

So if you kill a Hyena/Wolf/Alpha Wolf or Hyena and then kill another one immediately thereafter, you will see "2 Chain" pop up in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. The median of when the Chain actually starts making a difference in your drops (which is signified by a sound and changing the text to light blue) is around 10. Sometimes it will initiate as low as 8 and other times I've had it start as high as 14.

I noticed that it seems to stairstep its mulitplier and chance of drops. I noticed I recieved around twice as much stuff as when I reached around 20 or so, three times as much at around 30, etc...

Not only will you recieve more and better items, some drops will restore your health and whatnot. Sometimes its a measly amount, and sometimes its useful - it's really quite random. But any free health is great, right?

The highest I've achieved thus far is 78 while in the Leviathan, which is simple to do if you have been there.

Also, at around 40 or so, you will notice that the chain will not only give you more and better items, but will heal your health, magick, and also give you status buffs, such as Shell and the like.

It's most definately a useful thing when acquiring insane amounts of loot to sell.

BustaMo
11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I think there is also some sort of award or title you get in the Sky Pirates Den after you successfully complete a 50 or maybe it's a 100-Chain.

Ichimonji
11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
You get Montblanc for completing a 50-chain.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Okay, now can anyone answer these two questions:

What determines the rate of appearance for a monster? I can slay about 40 skeletons in one area before they start appearing less and less frequently and then just stop appearing. And I don't want to break my chain by fighting Steelings.

How can I increase the number of hits a character can do? Sometimes my Vaan will hit two times in a row, and rarely three times! Does some stat determine how this happens? Needless to say, seeing '3 Hit' above my character's head is a great feeling.

Nominus Experse
11-04-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm not entirely sure if there is any real determining factor that the player can control that determines how often a certain type of monster appears. However, I do have this small bit of advice:

The best place to acquire an insane chain is at the Ogir and Nam-Yensa Sandsea. There, you fight small, Jawa-like creatures called... something outlandish and strange - I can't recall. You'll know when you see them, for they come in hordes.

Basically, run around for around 45 minutes and you will get a crazy chain of 207, like me. The place is teeming with the simple buggers. Just be sure to flee immediately when you see a different type of enemy otherwise you will see a terrible x cross out your chain. Elementals will never attack you, so there is no need to fear them. They just hang out and cast Shell and Protect on themselves all day.

As for how to have your character attack more times in a row... I have no freaking idea. The highest I've seen anyone go is 5 hits, but the circumstances were no different then when that character later missed an enemy.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 04:15 AM
I got a 160 or so chain murdering Skeletons, it seems that if I hang out in other areas (like two screens away on the map) for a bit, they'll start appearing in bulk again, at least from my experience. It was great! I sold 89 of those Bone Fragments, and around 50 Dark Stones. I had like 19,000 Gil. xD Needless to say, like a kid in a candy store, I purchased all the Gambits from the Gambit shop, all the Technicks, all Magics I hadn't purchased, and the best equipment for my three characters, Vaan, Basch, and Fran, who are now at level 15-16 (which I'm pretty sure is reasonably high for where I'm at). I saved and went back, only to find out I had to run from the Bangaa gang. Then I lost all the points on my Notierity meter and wanted to reset, but I forgot to save. xD But at least I saved after going on a spending spree and power-leveling.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind, Nominus. Thanks for your advice! :) :cat:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Certain types of weapons are more likely to strike multiple times than others. Supposedly ninja swords have the highest proficiency, followed by polearms and--I don't know--knives, maybe.
Elementals will never attack you, so there is no need to fear them. They just hang out and cast Shell and Protect on themselves all day.I had an Elemental cast Silence on my entire party with no provocation. I guess I offended it somehow.

Miriel
11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
What determines the rate of appearance for a monster? I can slay about 40 skeletons in one area before they start appearing less and less frequently and then just stop appearing. And I don't want to break my chain by fighting Steelings.

I'm guessing it works the same way it works in FFXI. Monsters have a respawn time. So once you clear an area, you need to wait awhile until they respawn again. And the delightful thing is that treasure chests seem to respawn as well. :up:

Elementals will never attack you, so there is no need to fear them. They just hang out and cast Shell and Protect on themselves all day.

Again, I'm pretty sure elementals in FFXII behave in a similar manner to elementals in FFXI. They go about their business and leave you alone until you cast a magic spell within range of them (any and all magic spells) and bam! They make you go ow.

Croyles
11-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm not entirely sure if there is any real determining factor that the player can control that determines how often a certain type of monster appears. However, I do have this small bit of advice:

The best place to acquire an insane chain is at the Ogir and Nam-Yensa Sandsea. There, you fight small, Jawa-like creatures called... something outlandish and strange - I can't recall. You'll know when you see them, for they come in hordes.

Basically, run around for around 45 minutes and you will get a crazy chain of 207, like me. The place is teeming with the simple buggers. Just be sure to flee immediately when you see a different type of enemy otherwise you will see a terrible x cross out your chain. Elementals will never attack you, so there is no need to fear them. They just hang out and cast Shell and Protect on themselves all day.

As for how to have your character attack more times in a row... I have no freaking idea. The highest I've seen anyone go is 5 hits, but the circumstances were no different then when that character later missed an enemy.

Yeah i got a chain of 344, but you stop getting anything new after around 50 chains.

Necronopticous
11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Yes, elementals are aggro by cast, just as in Final Fantasy XI, and yes katana class weapons (nodachis ;\) definitely have the highest multi-hit rate. Since I started equipping Vaan with them I have hit more 5x hits than I had anythingx in the entire game before that.

Monster spawns are based on actual physical time that has elapsed rather than zoning in/out of an area, etc. The best thing to do is widen your hunting/farming circle if possible, otherwise you're going to be waiting around for pops.

Zeromus_X
11-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for all the help guys! :) :cat:

Yeah, I figured out how those elementals work now. Basically:

Ashe: It hit me!

Fran: I must cast Cure!

Basch: Wait, no, don't!!

Elemental: What? STFU N00b!!!11

*The party is fried by Firaga*